Re: The Order of Team Creation

My $0.02.

I'm a bitch. I demand cash on the barrelhead.

I laid it out up front to my team, lost a few people, gained a few people. It's going to cost money. Lots of money. Be prepared to spend $700 each on the car, and whatever the hell you want on safety gear. Do not do this thinking you can keep cash in your pockets. I will find it and spend it for you.

I laid out a very general budget.
I solicited for team members.
I signed team members.
I took their money.
I made sure I had an engine builder, an electrician, a chassis tech, and at least two competent drivers in addition to my bitchy self.

Then we began the whole find the car, find the theme, get it working ordeal.

Then I took more of their money.

We didn't start the real expenditures until we were accepted. Then it was full-on throwing money out the window.

We did build the car in 10 weeks, even though we had owned it for 4 months. We actually built it in 6 weeks, because of a flaky cage builder.

Honestly, the most important part of racing is expectations management. We had to all agree that we were spending money on something that had no real purpose or productive outcome. The only thing we could hope to achieve with the expenditure was a few laps on a racetrack in a real wheel-2-wheel race. Anything else was gravy.

With that in mind, we build a great $370 car and we're having a blast working together on a very expensive project that is proving that the most important part of having a winning (at anything) team is NO WHINERS!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

No whiners and lots of cash.  That pretty well covers it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I recommend befriending rich people

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

atomicalex wrote:

My $0.02.

I made sure I had an engine builder, an electrician, a chassis tech, and at least two competent drivers in addition to my bitchy self.

With that in mind, we build a great $370 car and we're having a blast working together on a very expensive project that is proving that the most important part of having a winning (at anything) team is NO WHINERS!

Sounds more like an Indy 500 effort than a true to the spirit Lemons setup      I bet you could add a 0 to the end of that supposed $370 and it would STILL be less than you spent !!          you must show up at BS inspection with a beer truck for the judges or a calculator to keep track of the penalty laps                                                    youve got my vote for peoples curse already !!!

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

and yes  im whining..................   im practicing for later when I hopefully get a team all the way together and maybe get to race

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

You know, I'd take you seriously, but, I won't.

Report back when you get your team off the ground. smile

atomicalex wrote:

You know, I'd take you seriously, but, I won't.

Report back when you get your team off the ground. smile

you gets points for being perceptive         I hope my effort is as well thought out and organized as yours

I forgot to ansewer the question that started all this.  My grand idea was to have as much stuff in order as possiable when I entered the race.  If you show the Lemons people that you do indeed have most of your stuff in order and thus more likely to actually show up if given a slot, they will be more likely to accept you.  All the team info, a pic of the car (even if its not done) and so forth.  Themes and a well written team letter are always a good idea as well.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Themes and a well written team letter are always a good idea as well.

I can't say enough about this, and you've hit one of the really super parts of it on the head.

Some of the team websites I've checked out have been hilarious. The letters and themes are well-written and well-conceived. Even the most basic themes can get in with a solid backstory. Like us. wink

As a captain from a fellow rookie team, this was my approach:

Dreamed up the idea from reading autoblog and jalopnik
Called any buddy that was as crazy as me
Sat them down in a room with free BBQ and gave them the pitch

Out of 20 people, I came up with 6 committed drivers, and 3 good contributors.

We researched any cost we could come up with, and added 10-20%.  From the entire projected budget (not including personal safety gear and personal race fees), we split up the cost over the range of committed individuals, and came up with "monthly dues".

Of course, we had no idea if we'd be getting in, we already had the car, and the theme was already setup in our heads.  Like people have said, pitch a great theme and it's not a big deal.  (There's other things you can do too...)

Anyways, we started this 6 months prior to the race day.  By the time it was ready to pay dues, we had enough money and then some to write the check and we're still well in the black.  Splitting up the cost of entry way in advance was easier on everyone.

It all started with being up front with one item - If you treat this like an investment, you're going to be very disappointed. ;-)

Overall though, drivers of the car are spending around $1k-$1200 including safety gear.  Pit crew are spending about $450.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

craznoe wrote:

Pit crew are spending about $450.

Wow. No wonder our "crew" is one of the driver's car-crazy kid.

We're running it like a democracy. Vote. Majority wins. If there were a tie, we'd flip a coin. Working great so far, but team members are aligned in priorities and friends.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Let me clarify this as well...  My "pit crew" is not just a bunch of people waiting to wrench in the paddock on race day...  They've done a lot of legwork on the presentation of the team, from the website to the bribe packages.  The money they spend has gone to purchasing of things ranging from software design suites to hops and grain for the homebrew beer we'll have in our pit. 

We're all friends, and this whole experience was pitched as a way for all of us to spend a summer together making something work.  And as most of us know, there's more to this thing than just wrenching on a car with some buddies and some beer (although that's a definite highlight!). 

If I asked someone who just wanted to sit in the pits for $450, they'd laugh and walk away.  If I ask someone for $50/month 7 months in advance of a race and gave them goals to complete, it's a much easier sell.  (Easier on the friendships too)

We're all on equal footing, and everyone has a say.  We're having a blast doing it too!

3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I can't imagine making non-drivers pay.  We'd even pay their race crew dues and be thankful for the help with the car.  They can come crew for our team for free!

That said, everyone's paying for food and beer on race day, but that doesn't add up to $450.  Do they get a share of the car?

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Everyone owns the car (in hindsight, might be the worst decision). 

Food, lodging, gas are paid for...  The non-driver contributors are getting something out of the deal (software, etc.), but for the most part they aren't interested in driving, they're more about contributing to the team as a whole. 

I guess my best explanation is that I have friends with extra disposable income looking for ways to waste it instead of donating canned food to orphanages.  I will probably get one more tick in the "Send him to hell" book for organizing this.

But I did it anyway >-)

Excellent team website.

Congrats on the crew. I'm jealous. Can you introduce me?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Thanks!  I'll let my website folks know you liked it. ;-)

Introductions can be done at Thunderhill, you just need to come over to grab some BBQ pulled pork and homebrew Red Ale (Cannonball Brew).  We're grilling from Friday afternoon to Sunday mid-day!