Topic: The Order of Team Creation

Hi Guy,

So I am in the preliminary stages of putting a team together.  The more I read though it seems like it is actually hard to get accepted to a race.

In order to get accepted it seems you need to have a solid theme with costumes etc. 

It had seemed to me I would

1. find drivers (have 1)
2. Find the car
3. Come up with theme
4. Build car (3 and 4 I thought could be fairly simultaneous)
5. Apply to race
6. Race (if you get accepted)

I am going to be honest though, it seems like it's a huge risk to do the whole build and then run a chance of not being accepted.

Do people come up with a theme, apply for the race, and then do the build?

Any thoughts?

ES-CAR-GO 1st gen rx-7 ( formerly Maz-Stache)
Real Hoopties 2012
Capital Offense 2012

Re: The Order of Team Creation

I built the car, solicited for team members and then applied for races.  I figured that if I don't get into the race, I've got a built track car that I can still have fun with.  I did two track days with it before the first Lemons race.

My theme sucks.  I know this.  I'll be working to change that over the winter as it is definitely getting more difficult to get into the events and a theme helps.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Some people apply for the race before even buying the car, but there are downsides to this approach, mainly that you look somewhat uncommitted and that it is hard to fully install all the safety gear and get the car running reliably in 10 weeks.

It has been said that Lemons will have about 20 races next year, and ChumpCar will have about 20 races next year.  If you build your car to fit both of their rulesets, then you will have a pretty good shot of having a race you can enter near you sometime next year.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

You can present your theme and an interesting writeup without actually having a car, though it helps. If you are selected, make sure you keep your promises, and make the race more interesting with your entry. We've all seen plenty of themeless, mundane race cars on the track. Lemons is more than that.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I did see that it looked like there would be a lot more races next year.  Maybe it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the responses guys.  On a similar note, did all of you split the purchase and prep of the car or did one person "own" it

Real Hoopties 2012
Capital Offense 2012

1. find commited drivers (have 1)

When I started, there were 20+ interested drivers.  When it came down to money and working on the car I had about 5.

2. Find the car

2.5 Collect non-refundable deposts.  If someone bails, put the burden on them. 

3. Come up with theme
4. Build car (3 and 4 I thought could be fairly simultaneous)

Yes, but the car is more important and should be started first.  It is also the most time consuming part of the project.  The theme just needs to happen before your application. 

5. Apply to race
6. Race (if you get accepted)

Yep.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

alex3000 wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys.  On a similar note, did all of you split the purchase and prep of the car or did one person "own" it

Ninja post...

You need to split the prep at least.  There will be about $2500 invested in the car for the first race.  You can "own" certain items, I own the seat in our car for example, but the rest goes with the car. 

Car ownership is weird.  But be clear up front what your expectations are.  It's your car and others are buying seats, it's a communal car that gets sold after the race (and proceeds split), etc. 

On my team, I own the car but we split expenses evenly.  I "donate" more time and money into the car/racing and it stays at my house so ownership isn't an issue.  It could be/has been for other teams.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I own the car.  I paid for the car and most of the safety equipment.  I front the entry fees.  My team covers car entry fee and we split the consumables and after-race repairs.  I scrounge through my parts cars to cover carnage when needed.

Mod Squad Racing

My observation has been that the most successful teams (from a team dynamics standpoint) are the ones with a strongly motivated team captain who owns the car and is capable of making the initial financial investment in the car and major safety expenses, such as the cage.  Going that route, and selling slots to 3 or more drivers per race at $500-700 (plus race fees, transportation and personal expenses) for at least 3 races, the car owner can theoretically almost break even.  $500 x 3 drivers x 3 races = $4500... enough to cover the typical build plus expendables for 3 races.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

If you can find guys willing to pay extra to cover the car, that's great.  I don't feel right asking them to cover the car when it's mine and I'll get all of the money when it sells.  We did CMP for $600 each (4 drivers) and ended up with $88 left over after everything was covered.  For NL, we're at $700 each (6 drivers) and should have enough to cover everything including $700 in brake repairs when all is said and done.

Mod Squad Racing

11 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-09-26 07:03 PM)

David Hawkins wrote:

If you can find guys willing to pay extra to cover the car, that's great.  I don't feel right asking them to cover the car when it's mine and I'll get all of the money when it sells.  We did CMP for $600 each (4 drivers) and ended up with $88 left over after everything was covered.  For NL, we're at $700 each (6 drivers) and should have enough to cover everything including $700 in brake repairs when all is said and done.

Loren pretty much hit it from an approach standpoint. Somebody has to lead it and know how to build it. Kind of funny that you are saying you don't feel right about covering the car, but then charging $700 a seat? (not that I disagree about the price, just sounds funny). Remember that if you own it, you are assuming all the risk. You could lose the whole investment in the first 5 min of the race, or get the crusher, not to mention mechanical or crash damage. Until the car is "paid off" including investment and potential resale, risk sure is a factor! For me its about $3-4k for the build of a well above average car with me owning it, doing all the work, with all brand new safety stuff including a Sparco seat (no intent to sell when done). It will take a good $1,000 to "reset" for another race assuming no major problems to cover 4 new rotors,race pads, tires, and fluid changes and any other maintenance.... Regardless, about $700 seems to be the right "arrive and drive" price to me, though I haven't rented seats as I'm on another team at the moment (but I do have a car done except cage)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

12 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-09-26 07:20 PM)

I own the car, the team puts in sweat equity to get it ready for the race.
Each driver pays $500.00 for the first race and $450.00 for those with a valid license.
All replacement parts are bought by me and hopefully we don't trash the car.
We blew one motor at Reno with no luck on a donor.
We blew a head gasket at Buttonwillow and got it back on the track and finished.
It is a very wise thing to let all people involved know that anything can happen before and during a race and thems the breaks. Do not promise them they will drive a certain amount of times during a race because if the first guys blows the motor you are left with someone who will hold you to your promise . A team member that leaves has no attachment to the car and holds no value in said car. Surprisingly this works really well with little or no bad feelings between team members.
On another note... Buy the car, work on the easy stuff like getting it running.
Form a team that really want's to help and doesn't flake before the money drop.
Get at least the entry fee paid up so that if people walk you still have enough to enter.
Get the best damn theme you can think of because it really helps.
Apply for the race. If you get accepted then you can tear out the interior and put in the cage on a running chassis. If you don't get accepted you have a running car that you can sell or keep as a daily drive.

I know this is long but I have so much to say!:D

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Finding drivers with money and time is VERY challenging.  It's easy to get a list of people who say they will be on the team, but racing costs lots of money and time.  For your first race, budget $1000 per person for a 6 driver team.  If you come in under that, good for you.  If you think you can do it for $500 per person and then have overruns, people will get very upset and want to pull the plug.

When you tell potential driver how much it will cost, be sure to include the race license.  It doesn't seem like much, but if every driver needs it, that's $300 gone from the build budget.  Also, since our team has two members from California, we used Paypal to transfer the money.  That eats another 3% in fees.  When you figure fuel costs, future the gas prices.  For the Lamest Day, we assumed 150 gallons if we run the whole 24 hours with no major issues and keep up a good pace.  If we have another gas hike and the prices get unstable, that could add $75 to $100.  Same goes for the tow vehicles.  We will be taking a truck with the car on a trailer and a second truck with a camper a few hundred miles to the race.  While towing, they will both get lousy mileage, so travel expenses add up quickly too.

As far as ownership, I own our car, but after the car and a few other car related expenses, we split everything.  We borrowed the harness, transponder, video system and radios.  If all goes well, we will race the car over and over as well as use it for track days.  In the end, I will own a running, sorted car with a cage, but  I take the risk of it being wrecked, crushed, or otherwise destroyed.

One thing we didn't follow, is the first rule in car selection.  That is to buy a running, driving car!  Our old Datsun was abused for a long time before finally being shoved into a barn and left for dead.  We found every system on the car to be inop and we have put more hours into it that I can count.  Had we started with a ten year old car that was wrecked or had a bad trans, we could have spent the summer drinking beer or being with our families instead of working on the car non-stop and getting 5 hours of sleep per night.

Good luck!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

14 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-09-26 08:17 PM)

O Yeah! I forgot one thing. I have to have three other drivers to participate in the race with me. If I had to pay for everything just to race in 24 Hours of Lemons I would do it! Not that I can afford it but it's the funnest thing I have done in a long time and worth every penny. It's a lot cheaper than any other wheel to wheel racing I have heard of. IMO.. of course.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Jeff is knee deep in the Rusty Datsun Challenge.  After you get done waging war on rusty floor pans, Swiss cheesy brakes lines and a wiper motor protected from weather by a glorified condom you still have to get a rats nest of wiring to work the car again. 

After fighting this war and overcoming all kinds of hurdles, you get to BS and Jonny says I've seen plenty of rusty cars.  I didn't exactly patch our floors.  They were completely cut out and I made new ones out of flat sheet metal.

Getting to cost and ownership.  Our car is "my" car.  We had a group effort build and I figured we would race the car till it was dead and it would also be a DE track loaner.  Since it's my car, I covered most of the build cost and have the most time in it.  Everyone did work on the car for the first race in one way or another.

After the race,  one team member needed to go for attitude problems.  One is  on hold.  Then 3 moved to a second car and two were later dumped.  So our original 6 member team has 3 people racing two cars.

So I basically run the car as an arrive and drive car at $500 for a driving spot.  Of course they might not get to drive and I have considered a written agreement with a liability waiver.

The car cost close to $5000 for the first race with out track spares.  Way more then I would have ever expected.

Our upcoming race, the car is full so I will see some return on the car if I don't put it all right back into it.

Lemons is a blast and one of the least expensive ways to race door-to-door but it still costs money.  With more potential races next year, I think it will cost more to run the desired races then some members will be willing to spend.  With our 4th race coming up, the cost for the races is approaching  build cost.  So I figure the bucket has sucked up $10,000-12,000 between building the car and racing the car.  Entry fees are an easy $1000 a race.

Like other folks have pointed out, transportation costs money and upkeep.  Paypal wants a cut too.  I expect each member to provide gas for their time but I will get the car to the track.  We split the Test & Tune and everyone has to pay for any necessary licenses.

For all the guys thinking $500 is expensive, try doing a car yourself for less.  It's a bargain even in a less competitive car. 

Racing is like boating, it's a hole you dump money into.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Spinnetti wrote:
David Hawkins wrote:

Loren pretty much hit it from an approach standpoint. Somebody has to lead it and know how to build it. Kind of funny that you are saying you don't feel right about covering the car, but then charging $700 a seat? (not that I disagree about the price, just sounds funny).

I don't understand this - did you not see where I said that that is what it cost to cover everything but the car?  If I had been trying to cover the car, the seats would have been MUCH more expensive.

I have a list of rules that I send to all drivers that covers the big stuff - don't roll my car, don't rack up a lot of black flags, don't be a dick and get my car crushed.  There are monetary penalties if they do, and this worked out really well at our first race.

Mod Squad Racing

If you start with a solid (and probably slow) <$500 car, you can build it in 10 weeks without too much work, especially if everyone can help (and they probably can't). If you buy the car and just work on getting it running, you can sell it if you don't get in. Quickly order the cage as soon as you get in to avoid stress.  A good theme takes a lot of time, too.

If you start with a car that needs a lot of work (either because it's unusual or because you are planning motor swaps, go-fast stuff, selling parts, etc.) that takes a lot longer.

Make sure everyone on your team is both committed and unified in their goals and attitudes. You you are trying to place high and your teammate is just trying to have fun, you'll have conflict, for example.

I was surprised at the number of people who were interested but couldn't commit for one reason or another. A race that is far away adds two days of towing time, motel rooms, a lot of gas, and food.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Wow... this all pretty intense!  Although all of this seems to make sense. 

I guess everyone paying equally for the car is a bit unrealistic.

So you guys get the money in advance?  So lets say I go with $700 a seat with 4 people(including myself) That's $2800.  This seems doable huh.

So if your the team leader then do you put this money in your own bank account?... The more and more I read these posts it seems like you need to run it more like a business...

I JUST WANT TO RACE!  smile

Real Hoopties 2012
Capital Offense 2012

19 (edited by bongle 2009-09-27 01:16 PM)

Last year was our first year.  With a self-installed cage and very few car problems that needed fixing, it still cost us about $4000.  The biggest cost after registration was safety equipment.  You can say firesuits are a personal cost, but at the end of the day, your per-person costs are going up.

The basic stuff:
Car: $500
Registration for 4 newbs: $500 for team + $600 for drivers = $1100
Cage: $600-$800 at the cheapest
Gas to tow, gas to race: $200-$500 (depends on car)

My recommendation:
1) Have a separate bank account.  The "small things" add up very quickly, and you don't want that sucking out of your personal cash.  Once the account hits $0, then you know people need to ante up more cash.  You WILL have budget overruns, and you don't want to be paying for them yourself.
2) Take checks up front.  Otherwise, you're essentially giving several thousand dollars in interest-free loans to your friends.  I'm in that situation right now (collecting at or very shortly after the race), and as I watch the run the market has been on lately, I'm kinda wishing I'd had the $2900USD of registration costs invested rather than waiting for the checks at the race.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

we're up to about 900/person so far.  we have roughly 500-700 left in the acct to spend on gas/food for the weekend, and whatever we have left we'll split (if there is surplus)  Taking 2 vehicles for 13-14h it's going to take a lot of gas money.

Brakes were 200 (we replaced calipers, rotors, pads) and we purchased 10 tires and 8 new wheels.  this stuff gets expensive in a hurry.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

I have been very lucky, rather then taking money for seat time most of my team has been offering up donations and help to get things going.  I own the car, I bought it and also bought the roll cage, brakes, tires, wheels, and so forth.  But the other drivers provided a lot of the other bits,  the race seat, the camera mount, the radio system, and so forth.  Beyond that I also have people lending me the car trailer, the tow vehicle, a generator, and lots more.  All of this years efforts were done with handshakes, I didn't have to lean on people to get things done.  The team just plane jane loves to race and compete.  So when I told them that I was doing a Lemons car and it was a Camaro,  BANG  I had people and all the bits I needed.  Some people gave more build time then others, some people did more behind the scenes stuff.   I had one of the team members call me and ask me if she could take care of our lodgings because she was not able to help with the car build.  I gave her the thumbs up, and the reservations were in my mailbox yesterday!  So yes I'm paying for the basic car, and the entry fee for everyone.  In return everyone else is taking care of what I need to get the car to the race and race it.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

I have been very lucky, rather then taking money for seat time most of my team has been offering up donations and help to get things going.  I own the car, I bought it and also bought the roll cage, brakes, tires, wheels, and so forth.  But the other drivers provided a lot of the other bits,  the race seat, the camera mount, the radio system, and so forth.  Beyond that I also have people lending me the car trailer, the tow vehicle, a generator, and lots more.  All of this years efforts were done with handshakes, I didn't have to lean on people to get things done.  The team just plane jane loves to race and compete.  So when I told them that I was doing a Lemons car and it was a Camaro,  BANG  I had people and all the bits I needed.  Some people gave more build time then others, some people did more behind the scenes stuff.   I had one of the team members call me and ask me if she could take care of our lodgings because she was not able to help with the car build.  I gave her the thumbs up, and the reservations were in my mailbox yesterday!  So yes I'm paying for the basic car, and the entry fee for everyone.  In return everyone else is taking care of what I need to get the car to the race and race it.

That's the ideal condition, and certainly the Lemons spirit as I see it..... Just not that common!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Troy wrote:

For all the guys thinking $500 is expensive, try doing a car yourself for less.  It's a bargain even in a less competitive car. 

Racing is like boating, it's a hole you dump money into.

agreed.  people seem to assume that b/c Lemons is "endurance racing on the cheap", it's inexpensive.

it isn't cheap...it's RELATIVELY cheap.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

We just finished our third race.  I think our financial story will be illuminating.

For our first race the team formed first.  There were several of us that had read about Lemons in CA and when they did a race in the south we jumped on it.  One of the guys took the role of team captain and kept track of receipts, but we were all equally responsible for all car/race/travel expenses and the team owned the car.  For fire suits and helmets we were on our own.  Our expenses ended up being just under $1000 each for 6 people.

For our second race we had enough people to run two cars.  Initially we wanted to keep it all under the same umbrella, but there was enough dissention over what the second car should be that the team split.  Members of the original team sold their "shares" to the newcomers.  The share price was based on the cost of the car, prep, and safetly equipment and came to about $350 each, which seemed too high since there was still a lot of work to be done on the original car to make it raceworthy.

For the third race we went back to running a single team.  As team captain I decided that we would base the buy-in/out on the market value of the car (~$1000).  I also decided that I, or whoever the next team captain was, would buy the car from the team after the race (assuming it wasn't trashed) with the promise that all interested teammembers could buy back in on the same basis for the next race.  If someone thinks the offered price is too low they can offer more themselves.

In essense we are circling back to the dictatorship Loren described after starting with a democracy.  Although in our scheme the dictator is self elected by buying the car at the end of the previous race.

It's also probably pertinent that we're all freinds/co-workers with absolutely zero racing experience outside of Lemons.  We're not trying to put together a serious team, but we do expect that the car is well enough prepared that we'll get some track time.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

alex3000 wrote:

Wow... this all pretty intense!  Although all of this seems to make sense. 

I guess everyone paying equally for the car is a bit unrealistic.

So you guys get the money in advance?  So lets say I go with $700 a seat with 4 people(including myself) That's $2800.  This seems doable huh.

So if your the team leader then do you put this money in your own bank account?... The more and more I read these posts it seems like you need to run it more like a business...

I JUST WANT TO RACE!  smile

I obviously feel the need to comment on this topic it's just hard to decide where to start or where it all ends.

Lots of good points have been brought up throughout this discussion.

Let me state this up front, our first LeMon car started out as my car which I felt could and should be the "team's" car.  Well, it's my car.

In an ideal situation, everyone would pay up front and evenly.  Then they would put in equal amounts of time and everyone would work together harmoniously.  They would all drive nicely and never get penalties either.

Then there is reality.  While there is a clear no whiner clause in Lemons they are everywhere.  (Hell, the curse is whiner payback.)  People have limited resources of any combination of: time, money and skills.  This will lead to drama and whining.

I do believe there are some wealthy enough teams that just decide this looks like fun and throw in a bunch of money, cause they can afford it, and they go have a good time.  Consider that the Brembo crowd, they seem to be a rare breed.

For the rest of us, teams do struggle with the whole funding problem.  Some of it is just the cost of the whole thing.  Then there are differences of opinion about what the car needs and what needs to happen and when.  Things like what tires to run, whether to run a race seat or a stock seat.  If you run a race seat which one to you buy.  Seating could be a discussion of it's own and has come up many other times.  Brakes can be a highly debated topic as well.  All these decisions effect your budget of both time and money.

We wasted lots of time due to unnecessary bitching by some team members.  If you think your team needs something so badly, by all means go out buy it and make a contribution to the car/team.  If you have special needs, do not expect the rest of the team to be psychic and just know this stuff, let everyone know.  Otherwise, shut your pie hole and lets get the car built.  I think you get the point, while you are busy wasting time on crap that can wait or is optional, the car isn't getting built.  This will likely come back to haunt you week of the race.

As time slips away, your options become more limited and typically more expensive.  Trying to buy and build a car within the ten weeks between acceptance and the race is possible.  You might win the lottery too.  This plan may keep you from investing money in a car that you don't race on your first desired entry but it limits your time more which can also cost you more money.

While some people look at our car as a cheater, the biggest reason it turned out as well as it did is due to the time in it.  Our build started in February for our first race in October.  I spent all kinds of time doing research and finding good deals.  You are not likely to find those things in 10 weeks.   

To this day, the car still has areas for improvement.  Sure, I'd like a hot cam and an LSD but that isn't likely.  We do need better mirrors and that will change for the next race.  I had the exhaust changed to clear the fuel cell better, they didn't like it at the last race.  I made a cool suit system for June.  We upgraded the seats and harnesses for February.  These are changes in the safety department, they don;t affect our $500 budget but they have cost around $1000.  ($1000 Damn, I never thought about that until now.)

It looks like 2010 will offer many opportunities to race Crap Cans.  So if you build a car you should be able to find a place to race it.  For teams of complete newbies that have never even been on a track before, some DE time in the car will be a very valuable asset.  Yes, it is also going to cost you some more money.  Most DE events are around $300 for the weekend.  So if your racing in Lemons for $500 you're doing it on a DE budget.  Shut up and be happy.

Getting back to your time and money resources, rebuilding your brake system can save you money.  It takes more time that many teams really don't have and it may not work.  So now you've lost the time you didn't have, spent money you didn't want to and you still need a new wheel cylinder or caliper or master cylinder or whatever. 

Some rebuild kits are only a little less expensive than rebuilt components.  Most rebuilt brake components come with a lifetime warranty.  So if your Cavalier burns through calipers, you only have to buy them once for say $20 instead of rebuilding them for $10.  So a little more money up front can save you money in the long run. 

If you have a bad brake component, especially on a really old or neglected car, just replace it with a rebuilt part.  If you have a car with functional brake stuff that is old, rebuild it or replace it anyway.  I am seeing an disturbing trend of growing brake failures.  The best way to get the most bang for your buck in Lemons is to maximize your seat time.  Blown brake lines, failed calipers and stuff has to be fixed.  Now, your losing seat time while your doing it during the race instead of in the driveway before the race and you still have to pay for it.  It's a bad gamble.  It could cost more than a caliper or line if it results an a bad accident.

Having a separate bank account is a good idea and I set one up for the initial build.  I also set up a company (DBA).  I just never used it.

For our initial build funding, I asked for $50 from each member toward safety stuff for the car plus they buy the wear items: tires and brake pads.  Some members contributed more toward the car.  Others bitched about paying up for the wear items we didn't use after the race.  I strongly suggest you get everyone to PAY UP FRONT!!!  Your "friends" will but a price on your friendship.

Explain what people are getting for their money.  Make sure people realize they are buying a "chance" to drive.  The car can break, get wrecked or crushed and they may not get to drive.  I didn't get to drive in February cause the car was broken.  Everyone else got to drive and break the car.  I was okay with that.  Someone who paid their money and didn't get to drive may not feel the same way.  This is racing, there are no guarantees or refunds.

You should also set forth some expectations.  It takes two people to fuel the car now.  With a 4 person team, everyone really needs to be around during pit stops.  Some driver's tend to just vanish when they aren't driving.  If you drive like a moron, your privileges may get revoked.

We all sign our life away to Lemons to get to race.  It is not a bad idea to have a liability release.  I have never used one but it isn't a bad idea.  We are really racing and it is actually dangerous.  You could really get hurt.

Side note: Spouses and family can be an outside factor that affect many teams.  We have a second car due to my friend's wife.  Wives will have lots of opinions on just how much time and money their husbands put into a race car or team.  My friend and team mate's business partners have a very clear no spouse involvement clause in their business.  Even if a partner dies, they are bought out and the wife gets the money.  It prevents a lot of emotional problems.  Just like what seat a car should have.  The wife might think a crew should drive a worn out truck one more year so she can go on a trip or whatever.

Team evolution: in 3 races, I have had 10 drivers and only 1 that has raced every race with me.  With our fourth race coming up, I am added two new drivers and the four of us from the previous race are returning.  So I will have had 12 drivers in the car by the fourth race.  This was never the initial intention. 

I have been closely involved with two other cars, one of which evolved from my original team (my friend's wife's car), who have experienced evolution and drama too. 

As I have added drivers, they all had previous Lemons experience and have their own stories to tell.  There never seems to be a shortage on drama in Lemons.  Most of it stems from money which results in differences of opinion.

The second car in February is not racing in October because their cage won't pass tech.  I believe they used DOM tubing but they tried to bend it themselves.  Now they need a new cage to pass the new cage requirements.  Doing it right the first time would have saved them time and money in the long run.  They will be racing in my my friend's wife's car due to their cage problem.

Odds are most competitive cars were not built on a shoe string budget.  They don't have to cheat to be competitive either.  They probably did not cost much more to build than a car on a shoe string budget either.  An extra $100 on tires can get you better rubber.  An extra $100 on brakes can get you some really good brake pads that will probably hold up to racing.  Cleaning and re-greasing everything you can will make you more reliable and it is free.  Spending money on reliability goes a long way. 

When your team is debating replacing the $40, 20 year old water pump as you are installing junk yard fresh headers (I always see headers on every E30 at Pick-A-Part along with fresh Bilsteins.), keep this in mind.    That $40 water pump is the difference between a running motor and a cooked motor.  It gives you your initial say 150hp.  The header adds say 15hp.  Without a header you still have 150hp.  Without a water pump you will end up with 0hp.  Jay commented how many crappy old water pumps he sees to me.  Have Jonny and Phil ever penalized anyone for a water pump?

Saving money is a good idea.  Decided where to save money is the hard part.  Experience is priceless.

I'm done now.  May the force be with all new teams.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z