Topic: Full track: MSR and Thunderhill

Yes, we will be running the full track at both. Chicane/cones will be decided on race weekend.

Please don't crash. If you do, you'll be "That Guy" who messed it up for everyone.

No one wants to be "That Guy."

Re: Full track: MSR and Thunderhill

I wouldn't mind being "That Guy."

And you will certainly mind being "That Guy."

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

3 (edited by GeigerZ 2009-09-28 01:39 PM)

Full track at MSR?  omg <not to offend anyone>  but WTH!!??!!

This is NUTZ!!!!!

You can land a 747 on the back straight <yes, it's that long>.  Nothing like having a 2 ton vehicle.. er missile fling itself down the straight and guess what's waiting at the end of that long straight...  disaster!

Call me whatcha like, but I've run the track in a race format (wheel-to-wheel) with 15-25 other "racers" in prepped cars with actual racing licenses to boot.   Without chicanes to slow everyone down to at least ludicrous speed, there will be pending doom for some unfortunate soul that has a family or life partner.  They will be missed.

Bottom line - please tell us there will be chicanes on the back straight.  Don't wait until after the fact.

....Uh redneck cadillac you are cleared for take off....let the caddy breathe

GeigerZ wrote:

This is NUTZ!!!!!

You can land a 747 on the back straight <yes, it's that long>.  Nothing like having a 2 ton vehicle.. er missile fling itself down the straight and guess what's waiting at the end of that long straight...  disaster!

Call me whatcha like, but I've run the track in a race format (wheel-to-wheel) with 15-25 other "racers" in prepped cars with actual racing licenses to boot.   Without chicanes to slow everyone down to at least ludicrous speed, there will be pending doom for some unfortunate sole that has a family or life partner.  They will be missed.

Bottom line - please tell us there will be chicanes on the back straight.  Don't wait until after the fact.

oh come on -- I've been on that back straight.

it's not that long.

The Ferrari Enzo we were in could "only" get up to 155 mph

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

GeigerZ wrote:

This is NUTZ!!!!!

Call me whatcha like, but I've run the track in a race format (wheel-to-wheel) with 15-25 other "racers" in prepped cars with actual racing licenses to boot.   Without chicanes to slow everyone down to at least ludicrous speed, there will be pending doom for some unfortunate soul that has a family or life partner.  They will be missed.

Every track we go to gets pre-run by a pro driver (with Lemons experience) on race weekend to confirm the safety of the layout. We don't like to say ahead of time what we're going to do, since we like to confirm the layout in person every time we visit a track. Believe me, we are more averse to our participants getting hurt than our participants are. Hmm, sorta like kindergarten teachers....

According to Google Earth, the MSR back straight is 1,695ft or just over a 1/4 mile. Your 747 just got black flagged for going 18 off and blowing up.

For comparison, the long straight at Thunderhill which we ran last year is 2,259ft. The two chicanes really didn't slow us down much by the end of the race. The track workers got so bored with resetting them every five minutes, they kept widening them.

P.S. Chicanes suck.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

SharkBait wrote:

According to Google Earth, the MSR back straight is 1,695ft or just over a 1/4 mile. Your 747 just got black flagged for going 18 off and blowing up.

For comparison, the long straight at Thunderhill which we ran last year is 2,259ft. The two chicanes really didn't slow us down much by the end of the race. The track workers got so bored with resetting them every five minutes, they kept widening them.

P.S. Chicanes suck.

1,695 ft is a little longer than the main straight at CMP. Most cars do just fine. And the cars that don't, go in the sand trap and that makes the kids smile.

Also.. and Enzo can get up to 155 mph in 1,695 feet -- impressive

I was testing at MSR Sept 6th, clockwise direction. Yeah the back straight is long, I think the SHO was indicating 110 or so before it was time to slow for the first right kink. Major braking for the second right with the right rear locked up smoking, flat spotted a couple tires by the end. No problem accelerating out of the third right turn and the next left was WOT.

The first kink is where all hell will break loose if you don't slow down. Come in too hot and the next right will spit you out to the weeds, because the left front tire will be doing all the braking. ABS computers will be working overtime. At least there's a good bit of runoff there before it's agro-racing.

The other place that will cause some agro-racing is right after the launch. Before there was a chicane to keep speeds low, without one it will be easy to over cook it. Off camber turns are not forgiving, at least there's nothing to hit for going off.

The full course will be better to spread the traffic out. We'll see what the final configuration ends up being.

GeigerZ wrote:

This is NUTZ!!!!!

Grow a pair.  Okay, that's kinda harsh.

I've run on MSR full course clockwise with no chicanes just like the big boys at SCCA do and it was awesome.  I even got to try out slicks which was even more awesome.

The back straight has a bend to the right which isn't too bad.  The U-turn (Diamond Edge) at the end is where I predict the stupidity to ensue.  It's like a 2nd gear turn from full on top gear.  If you don't slow down for it, you are going to be talking to the judges.   

The "launch pad" off camber right on the front part of the course just past the chicane from the previous races isn't that bad.  It's mostly a test of confidence.

Realistically, most driver's err on the side of not dying and over react.  The chicane was never that bad but it intimidated a lot of drivers and they damn near parked to go through it. 

I look forward to running MSR full course.  Muchas gracias!!!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

The U-turn (Diamond Edge) at the end is where I predict the stupidity to ensue.  It's like a 2nd gear turn from full on top gear.  If you don't slow down for it, you are going to be talking to the judges.

Suddenly I'm all hot and bothered...

Would a cold shower suggestion be considered offensive?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

HURRAY! Best news I've had all day.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:

INDEED!!

Ok everybody, last I checked, your right foot is entirely under your control.  Nowhere in the rules does it say you have to set a land-speed record every time you see a straight.

You're in a sh*tbox, on street tires, on a racetrack - thinkaboutit.    If you think you're going to fast to make the turn, I might suggest maybe, sorta, kinda .... slowing the f*ck down.  Or, if you can't seem to convince your right foot to listen - don't upshift, and let the rev-limiter do the talking.

Chicanes suck donkey b*lls - more dangerous than helpful.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

cmice wrote:
magnusracing wrote:

INDEED!!

Ok everybody, last I checked, your right foot is entirely under your control.  Nowhere in the rules does it say you have to set a land-speed record every time you see a straight.

You're in a sh*tbox, on street tires, on a racetrack - thinkaboutit.    If you think you're going to fast to make the turn, I might suggest maybe, sorta, kinda .... slowing the f*ck down.  Or, if you can't seem to convince your right foot to listen - don't upshift, and let the rev-limiter do the talking.

Chicanes suck donkey b*lls - more dangerous than helpful.

Guys, no offense to your delusions of grandeur, but we saw how Lemons do on a drag strip in NO.

By far, the best Lemons car popped of a 15.9 at around 90 mph. Everyone else was much slower

So, like, calm it down.

We're not going to see any of you hoons trying to out-brake each other into the turns, are we? ARE WE?

MurileeMartin wrote:

We're not going to see any of you hoons trying to out-brake each other into the turns, are we? ARE WE?

That would work better if you weren't on the 190 tires Jonny mentioned.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

18 (edited by timdeckert 2009-09-28 09:54 PM)

First, nobody even once accuses us of cheating.  It's kinda like being the last kid picked for kickball.  Now, my Lemons is much slower than...oh, wait, nevermind.   Kindergarten!  I hope you aren't making fun of how my numbers turned out.  It was the fumes from the degreaser.  Oh, and us hoons have antilock brakes.  They worked at Thunderhill.  Not sure if they worked in Reno because we used the "run off" area.  So yes, hopefully you won't see that. LOL.

Remember:  the back straight isn't entered onto at a dead stop.  Coming out of bus stop you will have  a sweeping right hander that will put most cars at 60+ mph before straightening the wheel.  The V-8's will be or could potentially cross the 120mph mark and I'm sure they can stop on a dime like the 1800lb econo box in front of them. 

Listen - no need for the yard stick and/or sack scale.  After winning two regional championships with NASA, the edge is scary even in the best racing conditions with guys you know and trust.   I'm all for all out speed and fun!!!   

I'm sure the event will run without incident and Darwin will be disappointed.  smile

Lets go racin'.... Lemons style!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Or try to dive bomb another car...........Seems like if you stay to the inside of the turn all the guys trying to pass on the outside will go off track if they carry too much speed.

And remember, we are racing for nickels........

GeigerZ wrote:

Remember:  the back straight isn't entered onto at a dead stop.  Coming out of bus stop you will have  a sweeping right hander that will put most cars at 60+ mph before straightening the wheel.

For a while now I've wanted a Lemons radar gun -- mostly for aiming at speeding jackasses in the pits.

However, I'd point it at delusional racecars, too.

Lemons has built-in "rolling chicanes". So maybe NASA/SCCA needs tire chicanes more than Lemons does.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Judge Jon wrote:

For a while now I've wanted a Lemons radar gun -- mostly for aiming at speeding jackasses in the pits.

I can bring one for the Houston race, radar gun that is. It's a Radio Shack job works off 2 C batteries.

sergio wrote:

I can bring one for the Houston race, radar gun that is. It's a Radio Shack job works off 2 C batteries.

Guess we'll have to mount a detector in that case.  lol

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

sergio wrote:
Judge Jon wrote:

Please do -- We will give you a get out of jail free card for it