Re: Full track: MSR and Thunderhill

I look forward to racing at MSR with no chicanes.

I agree with Fish, this is a RACE!!!, not a Sunday drive or an Art Car Parade.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

I look forward to racing at MSR with no chicanes.

I agree with Fish, this is a RACE!!!, not a Sunday drive or an Art Car Parade.

Umm...sometimes it's all of the above:
http://jalopnik.com/5165999/the-penalti … -of-lemons

I don't care honestly how fast/slow the track is or isn't.... a little luck, reliability and good timing of the cautions will get you ahead.... Our worthless pinto powered unicorn did just fine, and it sure as hell wasn't fast or even quick lol.

25.77 1/4 mile. jesus thats slow.... I think the mustang can get a bit better than that....god i hope so lol

We're hosed anyway, I can't find new struts for the Brava (no longer available) and the old ones are original, I think.  And the brakes are tiny. We're going to have to start braking halfway down the straight, let off, wait for them to cool, brake some more, roll around the turn, and try not to burn up the clutch on the exit.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

kalpol wrote:

We're hosed anyway, I can't find new struts for the Brava (no longer available) and the old ones are original, I think.  And the brakes are tiny. We're going to have to start braking halfway down the straight, let off, wait for them to cool, brake some more, roll around the turn, and try not to burn up the clutch on the exit.

Vick in DFW? Good guys.

kalpol wrote:

Assuming you have strut inserts, pull out your struts and measure them, then find the closest thing you can.

Even if you don't have inserts. You can probably disassemble the struts leaving an empty housing you can put an insert in.

We have VW struts in the back of our car.  They are shorter them stock so we cut pieces of tubing and dropped them in bottom.

You could also try the trick the guys did in Kershaw.  Replace the oil in the struts, install shrader valves and pressurize with air.

I should have the old KYB struts from my 1990 Maxima if they help.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
kalpol wrote:

Assuming you have strut inserts, pull out your struts and measure them, then find the closest thing you can.

Even if you don't have inserts. You can probably disassemble the struts leaving an empty housing you can put an insert in.

We have VW struts in the back of our car.  They are shorter them stock so we cut pieces of tubing and dropped them in bottom.

You could also try the trick the guys did in Kershaw.  Replace the oil in the struts, install shrader valves and pressurize with air.

I should have the old KYB struts from my 1990 Maxima if they help.

You know, I was just thinking that I might try a set from an 88 Scirocco and see how they work.  As for Vick, I have dealt with them a lot - they turned up a set for a 131 wagon but the mounts are wrong.

Josh Poage

MAn i wish i had know you needed struts a littlew sooner. i might be able to find them here in South america... Bunch of fiats running around.

I don;t have the time or space to bring anything back this time...good luck finding replacements or something that works

+1  especially when you get assclown miata drivers that like to cut people off and run them into the grass to get in. Well at least we crushed 2 of the offending cars last year and early this year big_smile

Fish wrote:

All you guys that are saying its to fast and please put in chicanes, WHAT THE HELL are you doing RACING?!?!? If your scared about going to fast then DONT RACE. What do you think this is a Sunday drive??? Its called a race for a reason.

Please no chicanes, those cause MORE accident than they save I guarantee it.

No one makes you go fast, you control that with that little right pedal so if your scared just dont push it and move out of the way so we can come flying by you in the Z from the west coast coming all the way to Texas to kick some ass!! (praying to motor god as I type)

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

WAHOOO!!!!!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

justa4banger wrote:

MAn i wish i had know you needed struts a littlew sooner. i might be able to find them here in South america... Bunch of fiats running around.

I don;t have the time or space to bring anything back this time...good luck finding replacements or something that works

Annnnnd in fact something has turned up (in CA), a pair of Konis for a 131, supposedly NOS, for cheap.  Do they work? will they fit a Brava? I guess we'll find out on the 22nd, because that's the first chance I'll have to install them!

The rear ones are everywhere, so it looks like we'll actually have some fun driving this thing. 

thanks for all the help and good wishes!

Josh Poage

kalpol wrote:
justa4banger wrote:

Annnnnd in fact something has turned up (in CA), a pair of Konis for a 131, supposedly NOS, for cheap.  Do they work? will they fit a Brava? I guess we'll find out on the 22nd, because that's the first chance I'll have to install them!

The rear ones are everywhere, so it looks like we'll actually have some fun driving this thing. 

thanks for all the help and good wishes!

I hope you can do better than the Lada guys. At least your car is made by Italians !!!!

sergio wrote:

I hope you can do better than the Lada guys. At least your car is made by Italians !!!!

the world needs more boxy sedans.

Josh Poage

kalpol wrote:
sergio wrote:

the world needs more boxy sedans.

we'll be bringing a japanese one to MSR in the spring, but i guess that means the world will end up with one less boxy sedan.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

sergio wrote:

What are you talking about? The Lada did very well! Top-half finish, no mechanical problems past the first hour, zero penalties, and it finished the race ready to go again.

MurileeMartin wrote:
sergio wrote:

What are you talking about? The Lada did very well! Top-half finish, no mechanical problems past the first hour, zero penalties, and it finished the race ready to go again.

That's actually quite remarkable...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Cheers seriously for considering full track and no chicanes.  As the perpetrators of the race have probably figured out, the blind, single file chicanes caused a lot of issues = hitting things, dive bombing, people slowing more than necessary, etc.  A normal turn allows 2 wide usually, has run offs, nothing to hit usually, and biggest thing - clear sight lines of ahead.  Screw the chicanes, they will cause more havoc than just running the track.

OMG, running the whole track will kill our brakes...assuming our engine runs enough to warrant using them!

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

This is great news. I was wondering how are car would do in full track!  ROFL

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

all i can is make sure you're not in front of a fox body for about the first 15 min of each driver's first stint LOL

Hooray for our BMW that can't get over 90mph smile

RumRunners......please honk under braking for the first stint... smile

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

davebs14 wrote:

all i can is make sure you're not in front of a fox body for about the first 15 min of each driver's first stint LOL

Hooray for our BMW that can't get over 90mph smile

RumRunners......please honk under braking for the first stint... smile

Sorry..no horn in that classic Malibu!  LOL

You cant see that spotlight of a third brake light we have?

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic