Topic: Best minivan for Lemons?

I'm starting to think a bit more seriously about the possibility of running a minivan for Lemons next year. Why a minivan? First, my daily driver is waaay too nice to be hauling all sorts of junk around in - a beater minivan might be just the thing that I need. Second, and more important, is that my theme requires either a minivan.

What theme might that be? "The Bookmobile". Yes, I'm one of those crazy librarians you've been warned about. I think that a bookmobile theme might be exciting to the kids at my library branch (or at least they'll look at me like I'm crazy in a whole new way). Further, I just might be able to con my employer into paying the cost to have said minivan vinylwrapped to resemble our bookmobile.

My question is as to what might be the best minivan for Lemons. Please don't say a VW. Personally, I'm inclined toward Chrysler's offerings from 1991-2000. There are lots of them and I'm reasonably familiar with their assets and liabilities, having put 100k on a '95 and about the same on a '00. The '91-'95 have some advantages - better access in the engine compartments and a boxier shape more readily formed to look like a bookmobile. The '96-'00s often have bigger wheels (and therefore bigger brakes), handle better, and look somewhat more respectable (This does matter. Stop laughing).

Are there some other minivans that you think might be worth considering?

Thanks,
Christopher

Re: Best minivan for Lemons?

I'll say...Chevy Astro.  You could have one with a variety of GM's V6 engines, all of them good runners and all of them leak oil.  The Van is RWD so it should be a bit faster...um...less slow then the FWD Chyrsler stuff.  The Astro has a lot in commen with other GM trucks and cars, so parts/upgrades should be pretty easy to come by.  The Astro has a strong sub frame so after the brakes melt and you run into something the damage should be minimal.  Don't bother with the AWD Astro it makes them even less fun to work on.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

3 (edited by Bonedriver 2009-09-29 09:23 PM)

Ford Windstar maybe - but they are notorious tranny killers under normal driving conditions.

I would think the astro/aerostar style mini vans to be top heavy... just my 2cents..

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Bonedriver wrote:

Ford Windstar maybe - but they are notorious tranny killers under normal driving conditions.

I would think the astro/aerostar style mini vans to be top heavy... just my 2cents..

Yea, I agree but I would think you could fix a lot of that if you tried.  Maybe jack the torsien bars a bit to get it lower in the front and put a block under the leaf springs.

Dunno, its an uphill fight in many ways, but even I have to confess it souds like fun.

Besides, thats one less minivan off the road.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HzKJyX3Sim8/RnbXxR0nqyI/AAAAAAAAAmU/4HyuQakqrsw/s400/Village.jpg

Mercury Villager! The Villager People!

How about a Corvair van? This one is $725 and "ran when parked"!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1396622205.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3n13kd3m45Q95Te5S499s9ca99f3dca7617ee.jpg

7 (edited by TeamPettyCash 2009-09-30 12:56 AM)

Solracer wrote:

How about a Corvair van?

You would suggest a Corvair van....  "It's a good thing there's so much cargo space...."  You already know the punch line.  wink

-TPC

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

8 (edited by ihatemybike 2009-09-30 06:10 AM)

The Astro/Safari twins. 

Not offered with a variety of GM V6s, just the tried and true 4.3L that shares many parts with the 350 SBC, though you can find some underpowered ones with the inline 2.5L Iron Duke.  Look hard enough and you can find one with a T-5 manual transmission.

Go with a RWD for simplicity. 

The front brakes upgrade to 3/4 ton pickup calipers and pads.  The rear brakes upgrade to 11" drums using the backing plates from a junk yard police spec or wagon B-body.  Both of these are direct bolt-ons.

Mount the rear axle on top of the springs and heat or cut the coils in the front to lower it.

These vans have pretty good low end power stock, but removing the restrictor plate from the throttle body's butterfly valve makes them a bit more fun.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

1989 Dodge Caravan turbo because they were available with a manual trans

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:

1989 Dodge Caravan turbo because they were available with a manual trans

While that's a nice idea, there's no way I'm ever going to find one around here that isn't totally rusted out. What was the engine / transmission combination for that van, anyway? Perhaps a later model year could be retrofitted?

Mid-engine supercharged Previa.  It's RWD and you could use the old Super Chicken cartoon as your theme.  Super Chicken drove the Super Coupe which was shaped like an egg.

http://www.digital-sledgehammer.com/superchicken/graphics/sc-coup.gif

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

cbustapeck wrote:

While that's a nice idea, there's no way I'm ever going to find one around here that isn't totally rusted out. What was the engine / transmission combination for that van, anyway? Perhaps a later model year could be retrofitted?

I believe the 2.5 in the turbo van was the standard corporate 2.2/2.5 turbo found in a variety of craptastic turbo Dodges.  I have no idea if the front subframe, axles, or mounts were different for the 3.0 V6.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

After owning a astro van for the last 7 years.. I can say run a rwd astro van... decent power, tough, the 4.3 is a good runner, and the tranny is not that bad.  You could likely swap up for a manual tranny lets say out of a jimmy or something....  I have friends who have over 450,000 kms on there astro vans...

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

If you go with an auto Caravan/Voyager of the  "box" era, check the trans. A604 types would throw the spider gear shaft out the side of the case if you encounter wheelspin....the fix is a simple retainer plate but if you don't do it it might be terminal....also some sources (including at least one Chrysler tech I met) swear that you must use the original ATF3 fluid. Can't confirm that, but the solenoid packs are also prone to stick, so flush it throughly and lock out the overdrive. Also, the rad and condenser are side-by-side so you can mount a huge trans cooler that's independent of the engine cooling system. Sounds like a fun project!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

15 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-09-30 07:00 AM)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Mid-engine supercharged Previa.

+1.  and some of the NA versions came w/ manual trannys.

mid engine, RWD, supercharged...it's practically a race car already!  what could go wrong?

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

jimeditorial wrote:

If you go with an auto Caravan/Voyager of the  "box" era, check the trans. A604 types would throw the spider gear shaft out the side of the case if you encounter wheelspin....the fix is a simple retainer plate but if you don't do it it might be terminal....also some sources (including at least one Chrysler tech I met) swear that you must use the original ATF3 fluid. Can't confirm that, but the solenoid packs are also prone to stick, so flush it throughly and lock out the overdrive. Also, the rad and condenser are side-by-side so you can mount a huge trans cooler that's independent of the engine cooling system. Sounds like a fun project!

Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, the Chrysler A604 is known to be a hand grenade of a transmission.  If you choose one of these make sure its healthy and run a massive oil cooler.

The villager isnt a bad idea ethier,  those things are hard to kill. But only if your going to do a village people theme, and if you let me be the biker...hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voyebVqu … re=related

Honda Odyssey chock full of Acura parts and fastness.  Not quite within the Lemons budget, but awesome just the same.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:

Honda Odyssey chock full of Acura parts and fastness.  Not quite within the Lemons budget, but awesome just the same.

Oye, I remember a few years ago when GRM took one of those vans and had it race a Jag E-type and a Porsche 911 from the 60's.  After putting some better (not race) tires on the van, it was able to post a quicker lap time then the sports cars.

it made me sad inside.

Yeah, I remember that.  And that one was stock.  The one above has a turbocharged big Acura V6 in it, a great deal of lightness added, and a very well-tuned suspension.  It's fast.  Not just "for a minivan" fast, but fast!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:
Loren wrote:

Oye, I remember a few years ago when GRM took one of those vans and had it race a Jag E-type and a Porsche 911 from the 60's.  After putting some better (not race) tires on the van, it was able to post a quicker lap time then the sports cars.

it made me sad inside.

If only you could find an Odyssey at Lemons prices.

They're good cars, sure, but they're expensive enough that they've always priced themselves way out of my used car budget. Chrysler (or, heck, anyone else) may not be as reliable and fast, but at half the price, used, I can deal with a bit more maintenance.

ihatemybike wrote:

The Astro/Safari twins. 

Not offered with a variety of GM V6s, just the tried and true 4.3L that shares many parts with the 350 SBC, though you can find some underpowered ones with the inline 2.5L Iron Duke.  Look hard enough and you can find one with a T-5 manual transmission.

Go with a RWD for simplicity. 

The front brakes upgrade to 3/4 ton pickup calipers and pads.  The rear brakes upgrade to 11" drums using the backing plates from a junk yard police spec or wagon B-body.  Both of these are direct bolt-ons.

Mount the rear axle on top of the springs and heat or cut the coils in the front to lower it.

These vans have pretty good low end power stock, but removing the restrictor plate from the throttle body's butterfly valve makes them a bit more fun.

All this and this:

http://i36.tinypic.com/m7b340.jpghttp://i34.tinypic.com/aynhw5.jpg

23 (edited by ihatemybike 2009-10-01 12:03 PM)

Tyrannosullyrex wrote:

All this and this:

Quiet, your giving away the theme I someday want to do.  Um, they should stick with the bookmobile, maybe The Mystery Machine, the Dumb and Dumber Shaggin Waggin, the Cheech and Chong weed van....

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

ihatemybike wrote:

Quite, your giving away the theme I someday want to do.  Um, they should stick with the bookmobile, maybe The Mystery Machine, the Dumb and Dumber Shaggin Waggin, the Cheech and Chong weed van....

We're not shushy old librarians. Perhaps we need to prove this with an A-Team bookmobile!

25 (edited by ihatemybike 2009-10-01 12:08 PM)

Hey, most of the librarians I know would be more along the lines of the Cheech and Chong van.

I do live in the Chicagoland suburbs though.

Weed and Read

Aaron