Re: Best minivan for Lemons?

ihatemybike wrote:

Hey, most of the librarians I know would be more along the lines of the Cheech and Chong van.

I do live in the Chicagoland suburbs though.

Weed and Read

Point well taken. 

I somehow think that I'd lose a bit of credibilty in my efforts to steer the kids away from selling pot on the street if I drove such a van, y'know?

Yeah, don't sell it on the street.  Way to obvious there.  Oh wait, you meant in general. 

Guess that rules out The Mystery Machine too.

You could always do The Straight Arrow from 1977's movie "The Van."
http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/the%20van%20straight%20arrow%20loose%20Zylmex.jpg

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

28 (edited by ihatemybike 2009-10-01 01:22 PM)

Just found this. 

http://www.woodentoyquarterly.com/media/image/BLOG/31_05_09/WTPC_images_blog_van_OptimusPrime.jpg

Optimus Sub-Prime?

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

Who needs one theme when you can do three?

http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/5_80sMashup.jpg

Aaron

cbustapeck wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:
Loren wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voyebVqu … re=related

Honda Odyssey chock full of Acura parts and fastness.  Not quite within the Lemons budget, but awesome just the same.

Oye, I remember a few years ago when GRM took one of those vans and had it race a Jag E-type and a Porsche 911 from the 60's.  After putting some better (not race) tires on the van, it was able to post a quicker lap time then the sports cars.

it made me sad inside.

If only you could find an Odyssey at Lemons prices.

They're good cars, sure, but they're expensive enough that they've always priced themselves way out of my used car budget. Chrysler (or, heck, anyone else) may not be as reliable and fast, but at half the price, used, I can deal with a bit more maintenance.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I modified  a class 4 hitch for my 1990 LWB Voyager with a 3.3, had multi-leaf rear springs made and used it to tow a tandem axle trailer with a 3500# stock car. The trans had the diff retrofit kit, a huge oil cooler and I ran ATF+3 which was power flushed and changed annually with a new filter. I never selected overdrive when towing. Never had a problem. Finally junked it (running just fine) when my wife finally got sick of the sky blue colour and fake wood siding. It had over 170,000 miles on it so these things can take it if they're prepped right.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

If i was running a minivan, I'd either take a 93-94 caravan with the 3.3L (that engine's torquey and nigh indestructible, plus tha't new enough to mostly avoid the major transmission issues) I also like the old previa mid-engine jobs, and an early 90s MPV van simply because it's small and RWD/AWD

Do an Aerostar.  DOOOOO IT!

WE ARE IMPORTANT MEN!  WE DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

33 (edited by jwesthoven 2009-10-06 08:19 AM)

'93 VW Eurovan- German handling, super cheap, 5-speed available, and the I-5 engine is the same as an Audi (but sideways), so you can cobble in a Turbo.  Factory 2001+ springs drop it like it's hot, and the 2001+ rotors are bigger bolt-on upgrades.   

I happen to know where' there's one with a camper pop-top for sale at a VERY Lemons-friendly price.   I think the guy has a 10vT motor lying on the floor of the shop too.

Aerostar is RWD and some did come with a manual transmission.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

Aerostar is RWD and some did come with a manual transmission.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that for Lemons, handling matters more than speed, and to that end, a FWD vehicle might fare better.  Or am I missing something critical here?

FWD is probably a better/safer bet.  RWD is usually just more fun.  (Power-on oversteer instead of understeer..  Not that either is likely in a crap can.)

If I was looking for something fun for the street, I'd definitely restrict it to RWD.  But for Lemons, well, it's a toss up.  Our car is FWD and it was turning good lap times and, had it been reliable, would have been an excellent competitor.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

Chris, I forgot to mention that if you want an Odyssey, you might have better luck finding an Isuzu Oasis for cheap.  Sold in the US from '96 to '99.  They're the exact same vehicle, except for '99 when the Isuzu was the old body style and the Honda was a new body style.

Also, if you found an Odyssey/Oasis for around $1000, you could probably recover $500 selling off door panels, seats, carpeting, etc on eBay.  Also A/C, climate control, dash, etc.  You won't need any of that for Lemons.

dculberson wrote:

Chris, I forgot to mention that if you want an Odyssey, you might have better luck finding an Isuzu Oasis for cheap.  Sold in the US from '96 to '99.  They're the exact same vehicle, except for '99 when the Isuzu was the old body style and the Honda was a new body style.

Also, if you found an Odyssey/Oasis for around $1000, you could probably recover $500 selling off door panels, seats, carpeting, etc on eBay.  Also A/C, climate control, dash, etc.  You won't need any of that for Lemons.

It also looks, from a brief perusal of Craigslist, like I'd have better luck finding one in your area than around here. How far did you have to travel to get your Honda?

I drove to Cincinnati, so about 1.5 hours / 100 miles each way, to get the Honda.  Given the number of hours I knew I'd be spending on the car, that was a drop in the bucket.

If there was a likely candidate in the Columbus area I would be willing to take a quick look at it for you.  (But not too far out - hopefully!)

jwesthoven wrote:

'93 VW Eurovan- German handling, super cheap, 5-speed available, and the I-5 engine is the same as an Audi (but sideways), so you can cobble in a Turbo.  Factory 2001+ springs drop it like it's hot, and the 2001+ rotors are bigger bolt-on upgrades.

Yeah! You'd have that legendary Eurovan reliability!

dculberson wrote:

I drove to Cincinnati, so about 1.5 hours / 100 miles each way, to get the Honda.  Given the number of hours I knew I'd be spending on the car, that was a drop in the bucket.

If there was a likely candidate in the Columbus area I would be willing to take a quick look at it for you.  (But not too far out - hopefully!)

Thanks! And if there's a donor car around here that you need checked out, let me know.

FWD vs RWD, what about AWD?  Several mini and mid size vans had it as an option.

Aaron

AWD would almost certainly break on track .. and even if it didn't, the rest of the van is much more difficult to work on.  Keep it simple, IMHO.  (Says me .. with my broken engine swap.)

Indeed. I don't recall having ever heard anything good about the reliability of an AWD minivan.

The GM U-Body is starting to look attractive. The handling is decent, and there's this one on my local Craigslist for a mere $600. Repairs seem to be an utter pain in the neck, but I figure, if I get all the problems chased down ahead of time, it should race ok. Maybe.

Not to sure about the AWD being unreliable, my van Grumpy is ridiculous reliable, but then I haven't been hammering it on a track for hours on end.  I would hate to do any bottom end work at the track though as the front diff has to be removed in order to pull the oil pan, BTDT.

Aaron

An early Lumina has the built-in Dustbuster theme.

ihatemybike wrote:

Not to sure about the AWD being unreliable, my van Grumpy is ridiculous reliable, but then I haven't been hammering it on a track for hours on end.

Given that Honda Civics, which normally go 300,000+ miles on the street, have about a 60% failure rate at Lemons (the normally reliable small-block Chevy is even worse), I'd say that you won't know until you actually do some hammering on a track.

MurileeMartin wrote:
ihatemybike wrote:

Not to sure about the AWD being unreliable, my van Grumpy is ridiculous reliable, but then I haven't been hammering it on a track for hours on end.

(the normally reliable small-block Chevy is even worse), I'd say that you won't know until you actually do some hammering on a track.

Hoping to have a go at Nelson Ledges next year.  Was thinking RWD van, but since I have two AWDs that qualify currently in my possession, maybe I should try that route.

Aaron