Topic: Rule clarification - nerf bar issue?

Is there any reason why the cage might not extend a few inches above the roof line of the vehicle? There are plenty of convertibles, as well as "convertibles" running at Lemons with cages that extend far above the original roof lines of the vehicle. Likewise, for some other applications, I'd like to be able to protect the underside of my vehicle from things that might bite a hole in the transmission or oil pan, and I'd rather not have to remove these elements for Lemons.

I understand this does not meet the letter of the law with regard to nerf bars, but it seems to be within the spirit of them, right? These  rules are present to avoid "Mad Max", demolition derby style cars, right?

Re: Rule clarification - nerf bar issue?

I doubt a tall roll cage would cause issue, some teams with monster drivers have had to make extended cages.  If you are unaware, touching another car gets  you black flagged for punishment, so  you should not need a nerf bar, and this is not Baja 1000 so I doubt you need a skid plate either, but no rules against running skid plates.  if you take off the bumper and make something that fits in the contour of th car they may allow it, I was on a team with a 2002 that was very light constructed in front and had radiator right there like 3" from the front with a fan close behind it, and we thought of making a better bumper with over-ride protection just in case to avoid radiator damage.  But its not like the good old days videos you may see on you tube where it was like demo derby.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

The taller the better. You wouldn't believe how much even the tightest belts will stretch if you roll violently enough... unfortunately, I know this firsthand

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Yeah, there's no restriction on cage height. The nerf bar rule is for areas of the car used to bash other cars. Hopefully you won't be using your roof for that.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Hopefully you won't be using your roof for that.

Been there, done that. No fun at all.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

jimeditorial wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

I disagree.  I had a great time doing that during the Reno event.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

7 (edited by Troy 2009-09-30 11:32 PM)

Stovebolt wrote:

we thought of making a better bumper with over-ride protection just in case to avoid radiator damage.

We have a tube bumper in place of our crappy stock bumper. 

Jay very clearly said no over rides.  Maybe if there were available stock.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

GnomeFabTech wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

I disagree.  I had a great time doing that during the Reno event.

Using your roof to hit someone? Is that the famous use-the-car beside-you-as-a-stilt maneuver? I was there, but probably trying to get the Fiero started.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Troy wrote:
Stovebolt wrote:

we thought of making a better bumper with over-ride protection just in case to avoid radiator damage.

We have a tube bumper in place of our crappy stock bumper. 

Jay very clearly said no over rides.  Maybe if there were available stock.

they can't extend outside the original bodywork.  we reinforced our bumpers on the corolla (esp the front corners), but the bumper covers still fit over the reinforcements, so that was fine.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

So what do they do for such cars that have hug push pumpers installed on the cars?  Instead of stock bumpers?  My car has all stock that is just reinforced, but what about cars with huge cow catchers on the front?

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

MagnumPI wrote:

So what do they do for such cars that have hug push pumpers installed on the cars?  Instead of stock bumpers?  My car has all stock that is just reinforced, but what about cars with huge cow catchers on the front?

Push bumpers get cut off.  Cow catchers get cut off.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We have flat 1/4" plate tow loops that protrude from the front bumper. We put them on to help the wrecker crews if we have an off-track excursion. We have decided if they don't like them at tech, they will come off with the torch.