Re: X Class observations

gsmith2424 wrote:

Now another point is what now happens when a legit $500 non modded car shows up that is way faster that the fastest Class X car? It is going to happen but its just a matter of when.

Do you mean way faster in a straight line, or way faster lap times? I don't think the current X class cars are particularly fast overall, and I don't think they are putting down the fastest overall lap times either. Eyesore, and the MTGT are consistent, they have their pit strategy down and they are fast enough, when they don't break. And they know what is going to break and have planned for it or worked around it.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:

Now another point is what now happens when a legit $500 non modded car shows up that is way faster that the fastest Class X car? It is going to happen but its just a matter of when.

Do you mean way faster in a straight line, or way faster lap times? I don't think the current X class cars are particularly fast overall, and I don't think they are putting down the fastest overall lap times either. Eyesore, and the MTGT are consistent, they have their pit strategy down and they are fast enough, when they don't break. And they know what is going to break and have planned for it or worked around it.

Both.

53 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-01 10:51 AM)

dsycks wrote:

Way faster than Eyesore, MTGT and so on?

Way?

There may be faster cars to be had but I am not sure we are going to see way faster cars on the tires we are forced to run.

Yes, yes and it can be done on the current tires we are allowed. If you look at the results from CMP the Firebird did a 1:51 which was 5 seconds quicker than the winner with both cars being on equal tires (Dunlop Star Specs).

54 (edited by dsycks 2012-04-01 03:14 PM)

I think that bird was full of a secret weapon called Randy Pobst. As a matter of fact I am pretty well sure it was.

I also don't think the current crop of baddest X-Class cars had a horse in that race did they?

Daniel Sycks

In my opinion, that's not a $500 Firebird. I know they claim it is, but you simply don't find good WS6 LT1/6 speed drivetrains at Pick-n-pull for a couple hundred bucks, even if you do find the chassis cheaply enough. Nobody finds more unreal deals than me on CL, but I was BS judging when that thing debuted, and their story didn't work for me.

Yes, Randy can make any car much faster than most drivers, but he won't dominate the entire field the way he did in that Firebird in your average Class A LeMon.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Each year though those parts get older and do get cheaper.  So the firebird will eventually be able to be built for $500, plus other crazy swaps for increased performance.  Plus there are always going to be other cars that will start to fall into the $500 possibilities that will be fast out of the box. 

I don't think we will be hitting the wall for faster cars for several years.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

57 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-02 08:35 AM)

No we are already at the wall for faster cars if you find the right combination which no one else would even think about. For example the Riley Ford Probe. I am still highly disturbed that they placed Eyesore into Class X as it sends a message to teams that if you have a car that the powers at be don't like even if it falls within the rules/spirt for Class A they will place you into Class X or you gotta take a load of laps for Class A.

This is starting to trend into dangers waters in my opinion.

58 (edited by Speedycop 2012-04-02 08:54 AM)

I didn't agree with it either, but I was told it was because they whined too much at BS tech. X wasn't the class they were placed in, it's the one they chose. The alternative was 50 BS laps in Class A instead of the usual handful, due to aforementioned whining. Bear in mind, I didn't witness this alleged Rule 2.4 violation, but I did speak with all parties involved after the fact.

That car is not a Class X car. Lemons doesn't maintain that it is. The team, though, is SO DAMN GOOD that they dominate. Jay wants to level the playing field for others, Jay gets to do so. Usually, that's 3-5 laps. This time, I'm guessing it was either more than that initailly, or, because the car is a legit $500 car, they argued for fewer laps.

Moral of the story: DO NOT WHINE, or do anything that might be perceived as whining. Their race, their rules. I'm just happy I get to play.

Kudos to Eyesore for their amazing repeat flawless performance, class be damned.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

59 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-02 09:49 AM)

Maybe its just time to start using an actual car value system to determine laps and just get rid of Class X with the Judges determining if the car is to be Class A, B or C only. This would also keep the speed creap of cars down too as teams could not abbuse the residual values to add speed parts to cars.

gsmith2424 wrote:

Maybe its just time to start using an actual car value system to determine laps and just get rid of Class X with the Judges determining if the car is to be Class A, B or C only. This would also keep the speed creap of cars down too as teams could not abbuse the residual values to add speed parts to cars.

No noooo... arbitrary is best!

You never know what's gonna happen, and without a hard-fast ruling the uuber-cheaters have nothing to work off of.

This wasn't so much about punishing Eyesore as it was encouraging them to finish their wonderful new awful car...

Rumor has it they are getting lazy with the easy wins... (nyuck-nyuck!)

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sparky Pete wrote:

You never know what's gonna happen, and without a hard-fast ruling the uuber-cheaters have nothing to work off of.

Not true. The value system would take any parts beyond stock into consideration as added value (except what is already allowed extra per current rules). Also with the value system it makes engine swaps alot harder to work out to where you do not get laps. The biggest thing with the value system is it will stop the cars from gaining speed due to fluxuating residuals after each race with the current system.

Sparky Pete wrote:

No noooo... arbitrary is best!

+1 for arbitrary

Why would anyone want to discourage engine swaps or make cars slower? No statistics on this, but I would bet that the majority of cars that don't complete the entire race are making more power then the slow and steady crowd. there are very few fast and steady cars out there, and Eyesore has built one of them.  Their car is far from a stock Miata at this point, though it still doesn't meet the letter of the class X rules. Between the turbo, and the mass centralization that has lead to lots of former parts residing in the passenger seat, it has had a lot of work done.

If the game had rules it just leads to gaming of the rulebook.

Speedycop wrote:

In my opinion, that's not a $500 Firebird. I know they claim it is, but you simply don't find good WS6 LT1/6 speed drivetrains at Pick-n-pull for a couple hundred bucks, even if you do find the chassis cheaply enough. Nobody finds more unreal deals than me on CL, but I was BS judging when that thing debuted, and their story didn't work for me.

Yes, Randy can make any car much faster than most drivers, but he won't dominate the entire field the way he did in that Firebird in your average Class A LeMon.

Actually I am pretty well sure that given current rules and methods, I could build a Firebird with an LS1 based motor. Trans may be a trick to get but I think I could do that as well.

I don't know what the deal was with the car in question but what is possible and legal by the letter seems to be in conflict with what is considered to be ethical and lemony. Maybe this is in part where X-Class is coming from? I dunno but it would seem to make sense.

The fact that the Bird did not last and had issues would seem to support that it was not as much a ringer. With development and work it sure seems to be a dangerous package however.

Not something I would venture to build though as I do not want to pay to run a car that will suck down close to 10 gallons of fuel an hour.

Daniel Sycks

Parkwod60 wrote:

Why would anyone want to discourage engine swaps or make cars slower?

Liability.

bs

66 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-02 02:03 PM)

Parkwod60 wrote:

Why would anyone want to discourage engine swaps or make cars slower? No statistics on this, but I would bet that the majority of cars that don't complete the entire race are making more power then the slow and steady crowd. there are very few fast and steady cars out there, and Eyesore has built one of them.  Their car is far from a stock Miata at this point, though it still doesn't meet the letter of the class X rules. Between the turbo, and the mass centralization that has lead to lots of former parts residing in the passenger seat, it has had a lot of work done.

If the game had rules it just leads to gaming of the rulebook.

Its not that its to discourage engine swaps but to just make them harder to get to zero laps for a penalty. Most engine swaps have been putting in a better engine (more power). If you can show that the swap you put in is equal to or just slightly above the value of the original combination go for it. But now if you put in an engine that was worse then the original go for it and id say no laps right off the top.

I will not argue that the car Eyesore has is not a stock Miata but the way they did the work is within the rules due that they did it themselves and modified the original parts. The only thing I know that would be different would be the radiator setup (couple hoses, not a high doller mod), and the turbo. If  you look around you can find $500 Miatas all day and can still make the car fit the budget.

I think the big advantage of arbitrary is that it is used to close those oh so clever loop holes people always find in any sport.  If you have it all spelled out in black and white with no room for the judges to make determinations cheaters are going to cheat more and legitimate people trying to make something awful race are going to get hurt by it.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

I think the big advantage of arbitrary is that it is used to close those oh so clever loop holes people always find in any sport.  If you have it all spelled out in black and white with no room for the judges to make determinations cheaters are going to cheat more and legitimate people trying to make something awful race are going to get hurt by it.

The advantage you are talking about is built into the value system. Say you can average the value of your cars to $500 and you add no parts (which is checked for) you get no laps. If your average your car down to say $350 you can add $150 dollars in parts and still get no laps. But say you add parts to either of those expamples and the value then goes above $500 that is when laps start to kick in. But at no point the car still isn't looked at by the Judges for trick parts. The biggest advantage of the value system is that is takes away the advantage of using a low residuals to build a car up with trick parts. So in a short word the value system keeps the cars closer to how they left the factory and the cars are still checked for cheater parts.

bshorey wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

Why would anyone want to discourage engine swaps or make cars slower?

Liability.

bs

No I understand why the organizers would want to encourage it, I just question why the original poster would want to encourage it.  Though on the organizer side of things I think the big wrecks in NASCAR and Indy would indicate that that slowing everyone down to the same speed is more dangerous than having slow cars out there as a rolling chicane for the faster cars.  I think traffic is it single best way to slow things down and make things safer.  More than 150 cars on a track like Sears Point or Buttonwillow leads to a situation where you rarely get a clear track to use the full potential of your car.

gsmith2424 wrote:
BoB wrote:

The advantage you are talking about is built into the value system. Say you can average the value of your cars to $500 and you add no parts (which is checked for) you get no laps. If your average your car down to say $350 you can add $150 dollars in parts and still get no laps. But say you add parts to either of those expamples and the value then goes above $500 that is when laps start to kick in. But at no point the car still isn't looked at by the Judges for trick parts. The biggest advantage of the value system is that is takes away the advantage of using a low residuals to build a car up with trick parts. So in a short word the value system keeps the cars closer to how they left the factory and the cars are still checked for cheater parts.

Who values the cars?  When do they average it? when do you find out what it is?

If you leave it to us we'll all average our car down to $0.

Facebook Page

I still don’t see any explanation of X-class consistent with what was demonstrated at Sears Pointless. Many opinions have been expressed, some with such authority they must chat about it with Jay every night, on what qualifies and what is the purpose of X-class. Only one floats: X-class is completely arbitrary, both in scope and purpose.

Level the field: Not remotely consistent. Only one of 4 X cars could really be considered a top competitor so far. There is some potential but this was the first race the Hamster (I think) or MRolla placed even in the top half.

Truly weird builds: One serious omissions. One questionable inclusion.

Cheat control: None of these cars were cheaty. BS laps seem as effective as ever.

Whine control: Are legit X cars are all penalized with the whiner cars? Were the Eyesores the only whiners at this race?

We can all spew speculation, wishful thinking, or total nonsense. I kindly request clarification from the organizers. Would anyone else like that in addition to the Cliff Clavin versions?

72 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-02 04:11 PM)

BoB wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:
BoB wrote:

Who values the cars?  When do they average it? when do you find out what it is?

If you leave it to us we'll all average our car down to $0.

10 Internet ads/ads of running/drivable examples. As for when its done it is done by each team before the race and is shown on a spreadsheet showing the add location and price along with make/model/year and shown at tech. The average would also then include any performance parts added to the car.

73 (edited by gearhead455 2012-04-02 04:29 PM)

You could do what Chump does, if they can't find a like make/model on the internet for $500 or less they are supposed to call BS on you (unless you have relatives with E-36s).

That's why we picked a SC Saturn in the first place, I think all of them are $500.

E-30s+.... Miatas... Yeah OK sure.

Reading the chump forum you will find that the AIV is a flawed system.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

75 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-02 05:14 PM)

Both systems have there weaknesses but at least AIV ChumpCar system uses an actual value (not a residual or if someone likes your car or notl) to determine laps for a car. The only real weakness of the AIV system is dealing with really old cars.