Re: X Class observations

gsmith2424 wrote:

Both systems have there weaknesses but at least AIV ChumpCar system uses an actual value (not a residual or if someone likes your car or notl) to determine laps for a car. The only real weakness of the AIV system is dealing with really old cars.

The AIV is just as horseshit as the Lemons BS system and fatally flawed when dealing with x-class cars.  How are you going to value a Honda 600 shell with various bits from in no particular order an RX7, Jeep Cherokee, Volvo V40, CBR1000RR, Ford Ranger, Miata, Mitsubishi Galant, a Marin hippies old redwood hot tub, and some scrap chunks of steel and aluminum that had some very skilled labor attack them?  That's right, you can't...oh, and we have a Chumpy logbook for the Hamster with a $500 value. 

Keep Lemons arbitrary and capricious!!!  It really doesn't matter anywhere other than the west coast anyway so I'm not so sure why you east coast guys are arguing about it.

squirrelly_z600 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:

Both systems have there weaknesses but at least AIV ChumpCar system uses an actual value (not a residual or if someone likes your car or notl) to determine laps for a car. The only real weakness of the AIV system is dealing with really old cars.

The AIV is just as horseshit as the Lemons BS system and fatally flawed when dealing with x-class cars.  How are you going to value a Honda 600 shell with various bits from in no particular order an RX7, Jeep Cherokee, Volvo V40, CBR1000RR, Ford Ranger, Miata, Mitsubishi Galant, a Marin hippies old redwood hot tub, and some scrap chunks of steel and aluminum that had some very skilled labor attack them?  That's right, you can't...oh, and we have a Chumpy logbook for the Hamster with a $500 value. 

Keep Lemons arbitrary and capricious!!!  It really doesn't matter anywhere other than the west coast anyway so I'm not so sure why you east coast guys are arguing about it.

"Logbook"  LMFAO!

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

squirrelly_z600 wrote:

It really doesn't matter anywhere other than the west coast anyway so I'm not so sure why you east coast guys are arguing about it.

Whoa, easy there Tupac.

GnomeFabTech wrote:

"Logbook"  LMFAO!

It's badass...they used a sharpie marker to change 2011 to 2012 on the cover and everything smile  Reduce, re-use and recycle

gearhead455 wrote:

Whoa, easy there Tupac.

Funny, I thought that was going to come up when I wrote my last post.  The fact remains that the only x-class cars that threaten to win overall are in CA.  It's not a problem anywhere other than a CA race and I would argue that it wasn't a  problem here either.

Hmm, do I want to see Lemons develop something akin to Chump's AIV system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiYNYlqJL0

Not because I dislike it, I just want the two entities to have two different 'flavors'.  Some folks like chocolate donuts, other like maple bacon.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Rockford Brodie wrote:

Hmm, do I want to see Lemons develop something akin to Chump's AIV system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiYNYlqJL0

LOLOL

AIV is as easy (if not easier) to cheat your way through as BS inspections.  I like the Lemons method far better.

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

BS allows for sticking to the spirit of the rule over the letter of the rule. I think there is wisdom in this.

I do not have an issue with X-Class either but I think that some of the issues that came up in discussion some time ago are showing to be valid issues still.

I hope that Jay, Phil and company can help present a bit better picture as to what exactly we can expect from it. If they are unsure and are waiting to see how things evolve, I am ok with that to but maybe saying so would help settle some nerves?

Daniel Sycks

What seems to be missed here is that JAY and PHIL put residual values on the cars after the race.  The whole point of the residual value system is it allows teams with really crappy cars (like ours) to spend some money and actually get reliable, if not competitive.  But as I understand it, there's plenty of teams getting $400- $499 residual values, essentially forcing them to return to the track with the exact same car ($1 doesn't even give you budget for an oil change!).  So really, where's the beef?

Disclaimer: We asked for (and received) a $4 residual after the last race.  I can't wait to see what kind of uber-cheaty super stock racing trick parts we can score for our '75 Ford LTD Landau for $496!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

84 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-03 09:28 AM)

mechimike wrote:

Disclaimer: We asked for (and received) a $4 residual after the last race.  I can't wait to see what kind of uber-cheaty super stock racing trick parts we can score for our '75 Ford LTD Landau for $496!

This is the major flaw that the current system has right here. As for doing oil changes do you actually think that they will actually check that at tech? If they didn't allow oil changes after each race they would end up having motor failure after motor failure. That would make the racing more dangerous than it should be and more costly to the teams due to early engine failures.

As for using the residual for make a car more reliable its called just put OEM parts on (which is allowed under AIV with no penalty). 4 out of 5 cars that aren't reliable are due to the fact that the parts on the car are tired and just need replacing with OEM(not racing/performance) parts.

mechimike wrote:

Aluminum body panels?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

The big issue with the AIV/Chump system is that it truly caters to the lowest common denominator. Those who have fab skills, negotiation skills, or creativity are punished. There was a controversy over the aftermarket 2bbl carb on the T... In reality, a used Holley 2bbl is less expensive than a brand new replacement 4bbl. Yet, we would be allowed to buy a $300 "stock" carb and not be punished, but a $50 swap meet 2bbl gets penalties? This is where set rules get stupid.
We could debate all day on why a 600cfm Holley 4bbl is better or worse than a 350cfm Holley 2bbl, but when it comes to actual dollars invested (the formula of the series), the Lemons system wins.
I am bummed to see X class used as a punishment, however. It's been touted as a place for radically altered cars, and while the ghetto charged Miata is awesome, it's just not "radical" to me.
It's not my race series, though. Nuf Ced.

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...

random_tox wrote:

I still don’t see any explanation of X-class consistent with what was demonstrated at Sears Pointless. Many opinions have been expressed, some with such authority they must chat about it with Jay every night, on what qualifies and what is the purpose of X-class. Only one floats: X-class is completely arbitrary, both in scope and purpose.

Level the field: Not remotely consistent. Only one of 4 X cars could really be considered a top competitor so far. There is some potential but this was the first race the Hamster (I think) or MRolla placed even in the top half.

Truly weird builds: One serious omissions. One questionable inclusion.

Cheat control: None of these cars were cheaty. BS laps seem as effective as ever.

Whine control: Are legit X cars are all penalized with the whiner cars? Were the Eyesores the only whiners at this race?

We can all spew speculation, wishful thinking, or total nonsense. I kindly request clarification from the organizers. Would anyone else like that in addition to the Cliff Clavin versions?

The organizers clarified it already. I spoke to Jay about this instance specifically, after speaking to Eyesore about it at the track. You don't want to accept my word on the issue, fine, but I'm not spewing speculation, wishful thinking, or total nonsense.

The Eyesore car was not deemed a class X car. They chose class X as an alternative to 50 BS laps, the high number of which Jay attributed to a rule 2.4 violation. If you build a super-dominant car, expect to be asked to build something less dominant, or at least far more rediculous. They haven't finished their Brat yet. I suspect they will be just as awesome a team as ever on the track, except the Brat *might* not be as quick.

To quote the Lemons staff:
"We pull the classes outta our asses."

The whole premise of Lemons is racing for the fun of it, in rediculous hoopties, without a rulebook the size of an NYC phone book. Those who keep wanting to nail down specifics will not find them, for this reason. And yeah, I DO have some insight on this topic. Building over a dozen fairly iconic Lemons cars, and running over two dozen Lemons races (to date) will do that.

/Cliff Clavin

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

At the end of the day, it is Jay's party.  He developed a system the encourages the kind of teams and cars he likes to see on the track.  The one word that comes to mind is "horrible".  Everything he likes has that word attached to it.
mechimike gets $4 residuals 'cause he brings a freaking '75 LTD.  It is a horrible idea.  Jay is encouraging that behavior.  After running three races along side the LTD, I agree.
I get $385 residual with a blown motor and collapsed suspension because I bring a '95 Civic.  I get to figure out how to replace a motor and springs for $115.  It can be done, but it takes a certain level of creativity.  Jay is discouraging a Civic on the track because it is boring.  He's right.

I have no opinion about X-class and how it is being used, but I like the current residual system.  Odds are high if you dislike the system, you are in the wrong place.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

solman244 wrote:

At the end of the day, it is Jay's party.  He developed a system the encourages the kind of teams and cars he likes to see on the track.  The one word that comes to mind is "horrible".  Everything he likes has that word attached to it.
mechimike gets $4 residuals 'cause he brings a freaking '75 LTD.  It is a horrible idea.  Jay is encouraging that behavior.  After running three races along side the LTD, I agree.
I get $385 residual with a blown motor and collapsed suspension because I bring a '95 Civic.  I get to figure out how to replace a motor and springs for $115.  It can be done, but it takes a certain level of creativity.  Jay is discouraging a Civic on the track because it is boring.  He's right.

I have no opinion about X-class and how it is being used, but I like the current residual system.  Odds are high if you dislike the system, you are in the wrong place.

Under AIV you would not be punished for replacing the blown motor and replacing the suspension as long as it was still using the same parts(OEM). I mean we even got people now getting hit for laps in Lemons for replacing common wear parts if not replaced would result in the car being put in danger of blowing up at the next race.

gsmith2424 wrote:
solman244 wrote:

Under AIV you would not be punished for replacing the blown motor and replacing the suspension as long as it was still using the same parts(OEM). I mean we even got people now getting hit for laps in Lemons for replacing common wear parts if not replaced would result in the car being put in danger of blowing up at the next race.

So under Chump AIV if I turn up with a SBC and it craps itself (and it will) can I swap in a crate motor as an OEM replacement?

(Not being a dick, just haven't read the chump rules cover to cover yet)

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

The way I read it, yes you can. But don't buy a used one with non-stock parts for less. That gets you penalties.

Not making it a Chump/Lemons thing, cause frankly no matter what you do someone is going to figure a way to take advantage of it and someone is going to get screwed.

For the current Lemons System though, I would say that most of the time it works out about right.  It seems each race 90% of the teams recieve the correct amount of laps, and even a higher percent get put in the correct class.  Chucking the existing to replace it with something else will cause lots of new problems and probably end up with a system that won't be as accurate and get as many or more complaints.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

^^^^ Exactly.

This series is about doing the most with the shortest rulebook.

To paraphrase Churchill: "It's the worst system there is, aside from all the others."

In the two Chump races I've done there have been plenty of arbitrary 'at-the-whim-of-the-organizer' decisions as well, I don't think any system can be assumed to be able to counter a determined and creative bunch of crapcan racers...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
5/5/24

I could bitch for days about X-class, and I could shoot holes in AIV all day long. Both seem to serve the purpose for the crowds they address. My personal position is in that grey area that neither set of rules solidly apply to. That's one benefit to the Lemons system. There's no rulebook to hide behind, someone has to personally make a decision and stand behind it.

gsmith2424 wrote:
solman244 wrote:

(well written retort.

Blahblahblah details exact science nuclear physics and algebra.

Your'e supposed to lie and cheat, and have fun dummy. (<--said with the utmost affection and ridicule) Just how much can you get away with? Only one way to find out!

Hell, even *I* lied and cheated my first race (so I thought). The fact that I went and did it all wrong is completely besides the point.

This is all just for the hell of it, really.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

96 (edited by gsmith2424 2012-04-03 11:42 AM)

I'm not against either system but the thing that has had a bug in my you know what is this whole class x deal and how teams are using the residual to make a faster car. I feel like Jay just said enough is enough with Eyesore and told them to either bring another car or your gonna keep running Class X with the Miata. I'm just not buying the whinning story about Eyesore though as I do feel they were given laps that would have put them out of contention either way even if they weren't whinning.

is a turbo miata X class?

How many other turbo miata's have we seen.....not many and they get A class and penalized to death....sure Eyesores is legit.....and their build is well documented, they are great drivers with great pit stops....that is why they win so often...... 

Bottom line is Jay decides and thats it.......remember the last time Eyesore's miata ran it blew an engine......even at a near zero cost engine from the spares they already have, what is a miata engine really worth......with a 50 lap penalty thats $500.....which clearly is where Jay's thinking was headed..... 

I got a 40 lap penalty after the engine in the estate blew up.....which was 30 laps until I whined too much (my bad)..engine was $300.....

The million $$$ question is this....which car will eyesore bring to the next race.......

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Oh, sorry Speedy, I certainly didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you are talking about, and actually intended but forgot to list your input as an exception to all the blather, as you seem to be the only one who actually spoke to the staff about it. Sorry if my generalization was disrespectful.

Still as confused about it as ever though. If X class is Eyesore's penalty box, that implies X classification is a penalty, not an aspiration to be AWESOME.

Clarification from the organizers would be appreciated.

Speedycop wrote:

The organizers clarified it already. I spoke to Jay about this instance specifically, after speaking to Eyesore about it at the track. You don't want to accept my word on the issue, fine, but I'm not spewing speculation, wishful thinking, or total nonsense.

The Eyesore car was not deemed a class X car. They chose class X as an alternative to 50 BS laps, the high number of which Jay attributed to a rule 2.4 violation. If you build a super-dominant car, expect to be asked to build something less dominant, or at least far more rediculous. They haven't finished their Brat yet. I suspect they will be just as awesome a team as ever on the track, except the Brat *might* not be as quick.

To quote the Lemons staff:
"We pull the classes outta our asses."

The whole premise of Lemons is racing for the fun of it, in rediculous hoopties, without a rulebook the size of an NYC phone book. Those who keep wanting to nail down specifics will not find them, for this reason. And yeah, I DO have some insight on this topic. Building over a dozen fairly iconic Lemons cars, and running over two dozen Lemons races (to date) will do that.

/Cliff Clavin

random_tox wrote:

Truly weird builds: One serious omissions. One questionable inclusion.

I'm curious as to which car you feel was a serious omission.

As far as classing goes, we were offered a choice between B with two penalty laps or A.  I picked B just because.  Alex and Phil were afraid of a MetroGnome-style debut win, which I found hilarious considering we had just "finished" the build Thursday night and knew we had serious clutching issues.  I also took it as a compliment.

At no point were we asked about how much we spent.  At a guess, I would have put the Lemons value of the car at right around $300, roughly equal to the scrap value.  Since the race I've had the chance to do a spreadsheet, and without splitting any hairs it comes out to $320.  Almost $30 of that is the license plate.

Scott

No problem, Larry. I thought your post was actually aimed at me, and I tend to be quick on the forum trigger. No harm, no foul.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT