Re: X Class observations

We've only built two fairly iconic Lemons cars.  (Not for lack of desire; more for lack of time and money)  But I feel like Speedy and I are usually on the same page- and like him, I have spoken with some of the guys who run the show here.  The system as it stands works great for 90% of the people and 90% of the circumstances it encounters.  That's a higher success rate than just about any other organization I can think of.  To their credit, the guys don't tend to make a lot of changes (hell, they still allow ERW tubing in roll cages, I'd have outlawed that already) but they do try to adapt when they see necessary.

X-args has a great comment: "This series is about doing the most with the shortest rulebook."

What we need here is a lot less whinin' and a lot more "shut-the-hell-up".  ;-)

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

We were definately separated at birth.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

mechimike wrote:

What we need here is a lot less whinin' and a lot more "shut-the-hell-up".  ;-)

Yeah, I think I've surpassed whining and I'm now officially bitching an moaning. I'll drop it. Doesn't matter anyway because I'd still be racing 24HL every chance I got no matter how baffled I am by X class.

And yeah, I agree the system and judgements are fine. I wouldn't want the the judge's freedom to shoot any car down to be restricted by fine print.

hoverducky wrote:

I'm curious as to which car you feel was a serious omission.

The 2 stroke Miata for sure is epic wonky Xness. Exactly what I would expect to qualify based on the stated rule.

random_tox wrote:

The 2 stroke Miata for sure is epic wonky Xness. Exactly what I would expect to qualify based on the stated rule.

Naaaah.  It's just an engine swap: take out one motor and transmission, replace with another.  Hell, we went down in displacement and complexity (and thermodynamic cycles and cylinders), you know, for reliability reasons.  The only alteration to the mechanical layout (other than the accident damage) was a rather un-radical hammer clearancing.

Yep.  Just an engine swap.

Scott

Sure... the MTGT was just an engine swap, too. With a minor suspension mod. Hell, it still uses same brand parts.

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...

That there's your mistake: shouldn't have touched the suspension.

Scott

I see what you did there.

Can't we all just get along?

Daniel Sycks

No.

Second that.  All in favor?

Scott

OOh,  civil discourse...  Let's move on from X-class to politics...  Or even better, discuss which car is the best car ever...     No disagreements there.....

I'm a Liberal freak and think that the Big Healey is the best car ever.  No,  Wait, the Alfa TZ-1 is the best car ever...   

Oh, and I have no issue with the capricious and arbitrary application of X-class to any car..   none at all.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

I'm a Liberal freak and think that the Big Healey is the best car ever.  No,  Wait, the Alfa TZ-1 is the best car ever...

TZ2.

bs

I think any car that is faster-better than mine deserves X class....YES that is the answer....  That will solve ALL the debate......anything that turns a faster single lap OR places higher than the Estate is instantly bumped to X class......

I love this theory.......  Won in the past...X class, run a known cheaty car...X class....run a car that "should be" fast....X class.....its perfect.....

No fail in this plan....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I'll take the Tipo 33 Stradale over either of the TZs.

(I was tempted to say "TZ one billion!", but stopped myself just in time.)

Scott

hoverducky wrote:

I'll take the Tipo 33 Stradale over either of the TZs.

(I was tempted to say "TZ one billion!", but stopped myself just in time.)

Scott

I wouldn't throw any of them out of our garage.

A couple of years ago the Alfa club national convention was the week after the Lemons Summit Point event, and also at Summit point.  We hung around and entered our Milano in the race car class at the concours.

We ended up parked in between a TZ1, a Typo 33 Stradale, and a TZ2:

http://www.shorey.net/Pictures/2010/201 … ge011.html

It really pissed off the purists.  They asked us to move our car, but we refused.

bs