Topic: So how did we do at Nelson Ledges?

We were wondering what y'all thought of racing at Nelson Ledges.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

2 (edited by jad3675 2009-10-04 04:59 PM)

Re: So how did we do at Nelson Ledges?

Less rain would be nice.

John

More Guilty Drivers

Us Judges were pretty shocked at the sheer volume of INNOCENT drivers at Nelson Ledges

Out of about 275 black flags, maybe 50 people actually owned up to what they did.

Interestingly, the phrase of the weekend was, "We got punted off the track." As opposed to the usual, "We got knocked off the track." The slight difference in verbiage eluded us at first until we realized that most racers at Nelson Ledges are Cleveland Browns fans, and they hold the concept of punting very near and dear to their hearts.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

As an interested bystander I thought all was great.  Things seemed very well organized and we had a good time.

Thanks everyone!

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

5 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-10-04 06:07 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

More Guilty Drivers

Us Judges were pretty shocked at the sheer volume of INNOCENT drivers at Nelson Ledges

Out of about 275 black flags, maybe 50 people actually owned up to what they did.

Interestingly, the phrase of the weekend was, "We got punted off the track." As opposed to the usual, "We got knocked off the track." The slight difference in verbiage eluded us at first until we realized that most racers at Nelson Ledges are Cleveland Browns fans, and they hold the concept of punting very near and dear to their hearts.

I owned up that I screwed up in my first incident. My second black flag though was either put a driver off very hard at 13 or go four wheels off. and I got whacked way too hard for that one. So much for our get out of jail free card....
Oh, and to the Browns comment...it means nothing to me. No, I'm not a Steelers fan. I just find it easier to root for the Clowns to lose and then I'm not disappointed. And yes, they lost to Cincy this weekend...

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Judge Jonny wrote:

More Guilty Drivers

LOL.

Yeah our team got "punted" twice, which earned us an essay and a Bart Simpson.

I owned up to a pass under yellow. Figured we were going to need another tire ready, so I hit the radio and got the team ready.  Luckily that's what the penalty was and we got out quick. Then there was the guy in the yellow car who wasn't having any fun when he got flagged too.  He really wanted those nickels I guess.  Funny thing is that we got our tire on and back out on track in about half the time it took him to complain.  And the car looks good with a little rubber up there anyways. smile

As for the facility, I had no complaints other than it was very hard to hear announcements on the far side of paddock, especially when everyone had generators running.  The lack of mosquitos was nice.

Even though we spent more time laying under our car than on the track, we had a great time!  Thanks to Bryan and all the Lemons and Nelson Ledges staff.  I sure hope that we have a Lamest Day 2010!

Our poor old Z car's axle broke early in the race.  We pulled the entire rear suspension and driveline and had the Snoopy Van weld our spider gears in hopes of salvaging the race.  4-1/2 hours later, we were back on the track, but unfortunately, the bearings had already overheated and we only ran a handful of laps before it died completely.  We thought about parking it, but that's not what Lemons is all about.  We would have brought a spare diff, but the 260Z uses a R180 diff and all my spares are R200s from 280Zs.  The R200 is physically bigger and is stonger, but uses different driveshaft, halfshafts, and rear diff mount.  We had three choices...  Park the car, drive 4 hours each way to Detroit and back to get ALL the parts we needed to swap the R180 for a R200, or go to my dad's house 1 hour away and get just the R200, driveshaft and halfshafts, but no "mustache bar" which is the rear mount about 30" long and 1/4" thick steel.  We chose to get the "local" parts minus the mustache bar and modify our's to fit.  We started tearing it down for the second time at 10:30pm . We took measurements and got the mustache bar cut and welded around 3am.  Everything fit and we were back on the track by 8am.  We were still running at the checkered flag, but we were also fighting ignition troubles the whole race.  That's what happens when you buy a 35 year car after it spent the last 15 years in a mouse infested barn.

The BRE inspired Dawn of the Zed WILL be back and will live through the night!

Congrats to all the competitors fo a fun weekend!  I haven't slept since Thursday, so it's time to crash...

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Well when you bring the 260 Z back next year, you really need to do a Paul Newman theme. He was a big part in the rich history of  the track. How many of you noticed the tribute to Freddy Bakers Longest Day winning car???

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

I had a great time and thought the track was awesome.  The safety workers were incredible, everyone I met from both the Lemons and safety and Nelson Ledges groups were great.  Organization was fine, being able to just throw down stakes anywhere was great.

If I had to make suggestions, there would be two.  One, the announcements were very hard to hear.  We were at the opposite end of the paddock from the pits, and it was basically a murmur in the background.  The broadcasting of announcements over 90.1 FM was perfect, but we didn't have anything to receive it on.  Either an additional speaker setup or just tell people ahead of time to bring boom boxes would make a huge difference.

Two, and this one is bigger to me as a total racing newbie: Lighting.  The Lemons info page on the event said "properly aimed OE headlight systems are generally up to this task."  That was certainly not the case for us - especially as a racing newb I found auxiliary lighting to be a must.  We ran out to Wal-Mart and bought some driving lights.  (Unfortunately the car blew up before we needed them in the actual race ... sigh.)

But but but!  Those were very minor issues and I would absolutely love it if you guys did Nelson again.  It was awesome and I hope to turn a lot more laps there, Lemons or no.  It would just be 10x more awesome if Lemons did 2010!!

Also, since we got so many cars, any chance of two Ohio races in 2010?  (blink, blink)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

10 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-10-04 06:41 PM)

Yea and with my many years of endurance racing and road rally, I really didn't adequately address the issue of lighting. My bad... We came with Hella 150's mounted where the stock lights went and Hella Rally 2000's on the hood and our lights were fantastic.

And yes, by all means, bring boomboxes. I haven't seen the infield so full in a very long time. But everyone had plenty of room to spread out and it wasn't an issue. In fact, despite the fact that I've been to Nelson for more than 30 years, I actually got lost in the paddock and ended up near the bridge than our paddock space at night!!! :) So the PA can't possibly cover the area we occupied this weekend.

We did have two endurance races in Ohio.... The Longest Day (only 12 hours this year) and the Lamest Day. Join the SCCA if you want to partake in more enduros or just simply a regional race. I haven't spent as much as our race budget on the Lamest Day all year on my IT7 Mazda. And it's won it's fair share of enduros until I bought it pretty cheap and started racing regionals. I'm leading the points in the Kryderacing series. And I wasn't really racing with the intention of winning anything. Just having fun. The Mazda is cheap, reliable and very fast in the corners.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Bryan, no worries, keep in mind my perspective is that the Friday night practice was my first time on a track, ever.  So take that for what it's worth.  And I'm psyched to come back, so you obviously did something right. :-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Bryan KF8G wrote:

Well when you bring the 260 Z back next year, you really need to do a Paul Newman theme. He was a big part in the rich history of  the track. How many of you noticed the tribute to Freddy Bakers Longest Day winning car???

I agree with a tribute to Paul Newman.  He raced with Bob Sharp mostly in 280ZXs.  He was a big part of history of the Z car around the early 80's.

We were trying to come up with some kind of tribute until our motor crapped out before the race in February.

Jeff, sorry to hear about the rear end.  Reminds me, I need to service the half shafts.

I modified our mustache bar to run the R200 out of our parts car.  I punched out bigger holes with a "Iron Worker" then bolted it up in place with big washers and welded the washers to the mustache bar.  FYI, the mustache bar does appear to be spring steel.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

For future reference, the PA announcements at Nelson Ledges are broadcast on a low power radio transmitter (FM 90.1 ??).  A small battery powered FM radio is a handy pit accessory.

14 (edited by bongle 2009-10-05 03:07 AM)

There seemed to be issues communicating with the far corner station.

My team (#571) had 3 black flags, and on at least two of them they apparently called in the wrong team number.

For the one involving me, I had 4 wheels off.  When I came around the carousel I looked for my number, but they had #51 up instead of #571.  I came in anyway, and sure enough that #51 was supposed to be me.  If I had made a less-obvious infraction, I could have carried on for many laps without knowing I was supposed to be heading to the penalty box.

For the other one, another driver sped in the pit lane, then said he was checking flag stations frequently and never saw our number come up, but saw many others.

Ignoring the other issues with #39, they were black flagged early in the race only to be told they were the wrong car.

Otherwise, things were great.  We loved the track and will probably be back next year.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

15 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-10-05 03:57 AM)

Well,  Awesome weekend - even though we finished 105th due to oil pressure loss and it didnt really matter where we finished.  We managed to accomplish a few things. I think we were the first to lose a wheel on the track.  We managed to fix that..  We were able to get everyone in the car before the motor went south. 

Well the track was awesome, the people were awesome, the atmosphere awesome!  We were pitted across from the snoopy van and we got to watch these guys working hard on that van, they were quite possibly the nicest people I have ever met. And very dedicated, I have never seen a motor built in the grass but they did it.  They came to our aide and helped us through the whole 8 hours that we managed to survive for.

I think our best time was when one of our drivers had a pass under yellow black flag and we had to pickup garbage for 30 mins, we had a blast and enjoyed the penalty! 

We just enjoyed being there, and already are looking forward to next year!

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped us this weekend,  we did the best we could to race everyone fair and drive smart on the racetrack. 

And in the end after the race we managed to find our lost wheel and tire in the swamp, that just made our weekend.

It was nice to see the teams and meet the people from this forum.

Big thanks to Jay and team, and the track team, you guys put on a heck of an event, it ran smoothly and was very entertaining, even from the sidelines! 

Cheers,

Joe

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

bongle wrote:

There seemed to be issues communicating with the far corner station.

My team (#571) had 3 black flags, and on at least two of them they apparently called in the wrong team number.

For the one involving me, I had 4 wheels off.  When I came around the carousel I looked for my number, but they had #51 up instead of #571.  I came in anyway, and sure enough that #51 was supposed to be me.  If I had made a less-obvious infraction, I could have carried on for many laps without knowing I was supposed to be heading to the penalty box.

For the other one, another driver sped in the pit lane, then said he was checking flag stations frequently and never saw our number come up, but saw many others.

Ignoring the other issues with #39, they were black flagged early in the race only to be told they were the wrong car.

Otherwise, things were great.  We loved the track and will probably be back next year.

Bull. I worked timing and scoring from about 1:00 am to 7:00 am. There was no way to confuse your car with car 571. Just didn't happen.

I strongly recommend you all go work some corners/get up in the tower and work the radios before you start accusing the track of getting your numbers wrong. There are typically four sets of eyeballs on a given car before the number is called up, and the number is ALWAYS given with a color, to ensure that they don't get it wrong. "187 White, four wheels off." Timing and scoring then tracks the car all the way around the track past each station. If it turns out 187 isn't white (meaning the initial call was wrong), the black flag is tossed. And there were plenty of times when a car got up to know good and a flagger simply couldn't make out the number.

Is it 100% perfect? Of Course not. But it sure ain't 99% broken like the massive chorus of innocent, wrongly accused and convicted whiny bitches made the flagging out to be.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Doing CommunityService here.

We wish we had black flags to complain about! tongue I really wanted to get "Don't Cry for me Argentina" as I wanted to do "Like a Virgin" over the track PA. One of my drivers wanted a chicken on the roof so badly that I think we are going to make him one just to shut him up. tongue

We spun a rod bearing 2.5 hours in! The Junk Player Special guys came to our rescue with a loaner engine, which we dropped in (in 3.5 hours) only to have our ECU crap out 6 laps later! What a trip. I did promise my team the full Lemons experience..... wink

The only corner thing we would like to mention is that when our ECU died, our driver sat off the track waving his glow stick for about eight minutes. He was around the back side of the carousel out of view of the two closest corner stations. We actually noticed that we had not seen the car for a while. He counted off ten minutes before someone got to him and called a truck.

Please don't take the above as a criticism, just know that there was an invisible spot and be aware of it. Our driver was safe and sound in the car and we all enjoyed the track immensly. It's like a fast version of our pet track - Grattan.

We're definitely in for next year, hopefully back at NL. The track was great, staff were great, and we had a total ball.

We donated our spun con rod, big end cap, and piston to the trophy-building team. We figured, hey, why not live on in infamy? big_smile

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

MagnumPI wrote:

I think we were the first to lose a wheel on the track.  We managed to fix that..

Joe,

Don't mean to ruin your party, a BMW (E30) lost a wheel in February at MSR Houston.

It happened as they came around the turn and the Acura right behind them ran it over which ramped/tire vaulted the car into the outfield. 

Here's some video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmz3PJGD … re=related

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Judge Jonny wrote:

Is it 100% perfect? Of Course not. But it sure ain't 99% broken like the massive chorus of innocent, wrongly accused and convicted whiny bitches made the flagging out to be.

Hey, I'm not claiming I'm innocent.

I went 4 wheels off.  It was due to a lack of talent. 

All I'm saying is that it is possible that the far black-flag station heard "five-<garble>-one gray, 4 wheels off" due to a problematic radio or track noise at that station being too loud or something, and had the wrong number on their board.

It is also possible that they were trying to call #51 in for a higher-priority offense, in which case everything is fine, and I just would have gotten called on a future lap.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

bongle wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Hey, I'm not claiming I'm innocent.

I went 4 wheels off.  It was due to a lack of talent. 

All I'm saying is that it is possible that the far black-flag station heard "five-<garble>-one gray, 4 wheels off" due to a problematic radio or track noise at that station being too loud or something, and had the wrong number on their board.

It is also possible that they were trying to call #51 in for a higher-priority offense, in which case everything is fine, and I just would have gotten called on a future lap.

If it's garbled, you know what we do? We ask, "Say that again."

Also, there are three people -- THREE -- writing down the car numbers as they come in from the towers.

So, come on man -- drop the conspiracy theories.

The biggest issue I had was the yellow flagging.  is it full course or not?  I would go by a station, steady yellow flag.  Mmmkay.  I'd see the next station-no flag.  Green green green.  Then the next station-another yellow flag.  Then no flag.  The ANOTHER yellow flag.  No, I didn't see any localized issues that would account for the inconsistencies.  I was scratching my head wondering if I was going to get flagged for passing under yellow.  It was very confusing from the driver's seat.

Rain sucked, track was a lot of fun, and I'll be back next year hopefully in a car that can actually make it until darkness. We didn't finish prepping the miata until an hour before tech closed Friday and it showed on Saturday.  Car was okay when it ran, but certainly not a heavyweight. 

Good times, thanks Nelson Ledges.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

While I could write this here, I'm going to start another post comparing 1996 Longest Day to 2009 Lamest Day.

I didn't realize the Parody on the name.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
MagnumPI wrote:

I think we were the first to lose a wheel on the track.  We managed to fix that..

Joe,

Don't mean to ruin your party, a BMW (E30) lost a wheel in February at MSR Houston.

It happened as they came around the turn and the Acura right behind them ran it over which ramped/tire vaulted the car into the outfield. 

Here's some video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmz3PJGD … re=related

Hey Troy
Haha, thank god that didnt happen to me.  I was just happy to get it off the racing surface without getting into anyone.    I was sayingthat i think i was the first guy losing a tire at The Lamest Days event itself. 

I was just happy we survived it and didnt lose it in a high speed corner...

That NL track is badass... I want to go back!

Joe

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

24 (edited by EBudman 2009-10-05 06:48 AM)

I saw the car off the outside of the carousel in the 13th hour or so & was surprised not to see a caution there the next lap.  But the back of the carousel is definitely blind to both the entrance & exit corner stations so unless you go off in a blaze of glory, driving off the OUTSIDE to exit the track is not the preferable way to go.  If you had the searchlights that some guys were using, they would have seen your headlights meandering through the swamp back there.... better yet, if you had made it to the tire wall, they would have seen the bat signal lighting up the nighttime sky!! big_smile

We had one penalty in the second hour... our guy thinks he got it for pulling up next to a guy under the caution, but we don't care either way, we had a great time.  We got the Faces of Math penalty & I walked up as they were trying to solve problem number one.  I read the problem & said holy sh!t, do we have to do all of these?!.... to which he replied that we only had to do this one.  Had he taken his helmet off & listened to the judge, he might have heard that we only had to do ONE of the problems.... Doh!

We lost the alternator 2 hours in, started swapping batteries... lost the first clutch 5 hours in... black flagged around 4am for dismal lighting due to lack of voltage & being a menace on the straights with another slipping clutch... ran the last 15 minutes to the checkered... don't know where we finished, don't care, we had a blast & are hooked!!! 

Now that we've seen what Lemons is supposed to be all about, we've got some great minds working on themes for next year.  After watching the Kershaw race online last month, I thought the Lightning McQueen & Days of Thunder City Chevrolet were neat themes, so I ran with the "Bud Man" Budweiser/Earnhardt/Kahne theme.  After seeing the Ded Bull, frickin' chicken, Lucky Monkey & Batmobile, we were truly inspired... very cool!!!  More racing parade floats & wierd crap on true $500 actual POS cars than cutting the roof off your race car, beating it up and throwing ugly wheels on it.... by god, I think we've got it!!

As far as Nelson goes... still my favorite track & I hope to god we can get two Midwest Lemons races next year..... wink, wink...

Eric Budwit
Spec Junk Racing - Team Bud

25 (edited by EBudman 2009-10-05 06:50 AM)

The full course is an interesting observation... The lake erie communications guys & local flaggers are all familiar with the double yellow flag, but it was never used, so that is a bit confusing... maybe the flags were supplied by the track instead of what we're used to, like the NeOhio region, so there weren't enough yellow flags to do the double yellow?  That's my only guess...

Now.... how do I go about getting a residual value for our next race?  big_smile

Eric