Re: So how did we do at Nelson Ledges?

We were told to wait three weeks to give Jay some breathing room. October 26th we will be emailing. With no motor and no ECU, we're hoping for some mercy!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

HAHAHAHAHA........ loved the whining.... tried not to add to it!!

(non-cheating SE-R crew chief here)   I had the HARDEST time trying to convince our drivers that going 4 off was a penalty NO MATTER WHY YOU WENT OFF...  And that the correct thing to do was to NOT GO OFF...    one of our guys (Danny Popp) is a seasoned road racer and record holder, he went off on the FIRST LAP, but didn't get flagged...  so we got a freebie!!! YEAH!!!   The next off we had was one of the innocent guys... I groaned audibly when he said it.. I was rushing over to tell him to admit, apologize and throw himself on the mercy of the court... TOO LATE....   two page essay time... just glad he hung around to help read the note...

We had such a good time... the track guys were great, the judges were awesome.. the fun was rampant.   Our whole team are SCCA drivers  Solo, Road Race... we have NASA driver Popp too...  it took all my patience just dumbing them down to the Lemons level, and constant reminding to not take it seriously. They kept talking about winning!!!  I just wanted to be alive at the end...

If we get to run Nelson again, we know what to bring,, other wise we know what to do now.. we will continue to be a thorn in yer asses for years to come..

Also.. to ANY other team.  The SMS racing team pit/paddock is open to ANYONE that needs help, We will work as hard on your car as we do ours (as long as we aren't working on ours at the time!!!)  We enjoyed the hospitality, the comeraderie and the atmosphere of FUN..   what a change from the stuffy ass SCCA nose in the air competitiveness (there I said it) I am used to.... 

Also, as I am going to mention in a separate thread, I run the Cincinnati Region Autocross (Solo) program. I am interested in doing a Craptastic Autocross event in the future... possibly as a test and tune for Lemons entries???  hmmmmmm.................

Owner: Stanford Motorsports (sounds better than it is!)
Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)
Other nonsense:  Solo Director, Cincy SCCA, Board of Directors, Cincy SCCA

We had to park our car once the powerplant started knocking... we lost oil pressure, and she heated up.  I started it up last night .. took a bit, but she did start and knocked like crazy... I took a video to send in.  I think thats the best wat to go... we will need a rebuild or junkyard transplant...

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

We thought everyone was awesome.  Our team loved driving this track and we will for sure be back at Nelson one way or another.

Thanks for the great weekend.

Blame Canada #337

WE ARE IMPORTANT MEN!  WE DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

30 (edited by computergui 2009-10-05 07:49 AM)

Our team Lebowski Neon lasted about 10 hours.  Through the day we fixed a fuel line, serpentine belt and a shift linkage..things were looking ok.  Unfortunately, our timing belt and tensioner pulley bit the dust and took out our valves and we ran out of time to get it back out for one last hurrah...

The entire Lemons team, Nelson Ledges Team, and great group of competitors should be commended for an incredible race weekend.  It was everything and more than we ever expected.

It was amazing to meet so many people who ran over to our car when the hood was up to see how they could assist.  Simply amazing.  You can always count on the Lebowski crew to do the same.

Won't be the last you'll see of us!  Bring on 2010!

Don Crawford (aka The Dude)

Team Lebowski

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

This was our first race (red #35 Neon) and we had an absolute blast.  Our race ended unofficially at about 2:30AM when our car went off, and was hit HARD by a V12 powered BMW.  Our race was officially over at about 5:00AM when Jay told us the car couldn't go back on track because the alignment was too out of whack.  We had the car running by relocating the battery, cutting off the fender and part of the bumper, zip tying the ECU back, and relocating the lights.  Anyway, we are already thinking about the next one.

That said, here are some of my thoughts.  I would strongly suggest a drivers' meeting before practice on Friday night.  It was our first time on track at night, and the first wheel to wheel for a number of us.  Having a drivers' meeting to go over at least the night time flagging would help.

Not all the flags were covered during the drivers' meeting.  Our driver saw a white flag and none of us were sure what it meant.  We assumed it meant an emergency vehicle  was on track, but it wasn't mentioned in the meeting.

The flagging on the back straight was a little confusing, but we realized that it was better to wait until the next flag station to confirm if it was green before passing people than get another black flag.

The only suggestion I have is to give the guy on the back straight a permant light so it's easier to see the black flag board at night.  It looked like he was trying to hold the board and a flashlight at the same time, and as a driver I really had to look over and stare to see it.  Having some halogens on a stand or something would probably help.

Overall, great event and glad to be a part of it.

Ken

BTW - 88 handed out quite a bit of Loctite and we hope that all of the teams that came to us to get product were able to get back on track safely and successfully.

Next year, we're going to try to locate more centrally so that we're easier to get to. I think from one end of the paddock to the other was at least 0.5 miles!

Ken, you was robbed. There. I said it. I wish we had checked on you later on, we had an alignment tech on our team who had nothing to do after we gave up on the ECU hunt around 2AM!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Jer wrote:

The biggest issue I had was the yellow flagging.  is it full course or not?  I would go by a station, steady yellow flag.  Mmmkay.  I'd see the next station-no flag.  Green green green.  Then the next station-another yellow flag.  Then no flag.  The ANOTHER yellow flag.  No, I didn't see any localized issues that would account for the inconsistencies.  I was scratching my head wondering if I was going to get flagged for passing under yellow.  It was very confusing from the driver's seat.

Agree with Jer, the flagging for yellows left a LOT to be desired, particularly because so many inexperienced drivers decided that it meant SLAM ON THE BRAKES IMMEDIATELY!  Perhaps at the next driver's meeting this could be mentioned as a BAD IDEA.  I am guessing part of it has to do with no one wanting a penalty for passing under yellow - understandable, but that's safer than causing yet another pile-up on track!  Give the spot back right away, and there shouldn't be a penalty - it happens in racing, corner workers know this - but I don't know how Lemons feels about it?  If the intent is to be safe, it shouldn't be a problem.

But back to the flagging; I've been going to Nelson Ledges for over 10 years now, started with DE/HPDE, have done track days (run by the track and private group rentals), and raced there (SCCA).  The best flagging by FAR is Lake Erie when the SCCA is there.  Some of the track days in the past had virtually no flagging.  This was definitely better than nothing, but not to the typical Lake Erie standards I have seen.

atomicalex wrote:

Ken, you was robbed. There. I said it. I wish we had checked on you later on, we had an alignment tech on our team who had nothing to do after we gave up on the ECU hunt around 2AM!

just realigning it prolly wouldnt have gotten it back on the track    I was one of the people looking this car over and the consensus was that the whole front end was whacked so hard there was 4 or 5 inches of stagger between the fronts ,  it was dark , with no rack ( or time ) to do a proper inspection of the damage and if something on the front end let go at speed it could have been a BIG mess on the track.                      the overall goal when the car has to be reteched because of an incident is to protect EVERYONES safety.                  to    Jonny,Phil and the other judges  it was fantastic hanging out at the penalty shack with you guys   hope I wasnt too much of a nuisance                      Bruce       "Prime Suspect"              the usual suspects race team

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Well I got married there and that rocked!  Guess who will be back for his anniversary? The car though blew up about 45 minutes in and we spent most of the race trying to change the motor in the mud.

The track by far exceeded my expectations and I thank Nelson Ledges for a opportunity to get married at a place I could actually race at.  Maybe next year we'll see about SCCA and Lemons. 

We'll be back next year with a slightly different team in a car that's not slapped together.  Ok it'll be slapped together but we'll finish!  lol

I think most people dug the yellow bumblebee camaro so maybe we'll do that again...Have to thank Schumacher Taxi Service otherwise we'd never have seen the track due to seat/rear bar issues.  Thanks guys.  Also those MR2 guys for inspiring us to (try) be heros.

36 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-10-05 09:06 AM)

Jer wrote:

The biggest issue I had was the yellow flagging.  is it full course or not?  I would go by a station, steady yellow flag.  Mmmkay.  I'd see the next station-no flag.  Green green green.  Then the next station-another yellow flag.  Then no flag.  The ANOTHER yellow flag.  No, I didn't see any localized issues that would account for the inconsistencies.  I was scratching my head wondering if I was going to get flagged for passing under yellow.  It was very confusing from the driver's seat.

As to yellows, I never saw flashing lights for full course yellow, but would see non-local ones? It was confusing (drivers meeting said flashing yellow would be used for full course yellows). Many of our team members said same, especially in the late hours and at the tower. I agree with another post that yellow passes were dangerous as you would come around a corner, see a yellow and hit the brakes, but the people behind you may not have seen it yet. We got rear ended twice  - Hard - under yellow and that ended our race in the last two hours with a broken trans sad I think both hits were Miata's - must be some kinda of Yakuza vendetta or something!

I thought it went pretty smooth overall though, especially considering the higher speeds and number of cars compared to previous events I've been to.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

37 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-10-05 09:07 AM)

SMSRACING wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA........ loved the whining.... tried not to add to it!!

(non-cheating SE-R crew chief here)   .....

Also, as I am going to mention in a separate thread, I run the Cincinnati Region Autocross (Solo) program. I am interested in doing a Craptastic Autocross event in the future... possibly as a test and tune for Lemons entries???  hmmmmmm.................

I have a LS400 I'm finishing up (just needs cage), so I'll be ready for your "Craptastic Auto-x"... Your car sure had plenty of power, but some of your drivers need to slow down your auto-x reflexes!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Well I got married there and that rocked!  Guess who will be back for his anniversary?

One of my team members asked if she (your wife) has a sister you guys could introduce him to??

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

prime suspect wrote:
atomicalex wrote:

just realigning it prolly wouldnt have gotten it back on the track    I was one of the people looking this car over and the consensus was that the whole front end was whacked so hard there was 4 or 5 inches of stagger between the fronts ,  it was dark , with no rack ( or time ) to do a proper inspection of the damage and if something on the front end let go at speed it could have been a BIG mess on the track.                      the overall goal when the car has to be reteched because of an incident is to protect EVERYONES safety.                  to    Jonny,Phil and the other judges  it was fantastic hanging out at the penalty shack with you guys   hope I wasnt too much of a nuisance                      Bruce       "Prime Suspect"              the usual suspects race team

We understood the situation.  The only thing we were thinking was that some of the cars were probably more dangerous to begin with; ie the cars with no front suspension.  There were some Crown Vics and other large cars that were riding around on bump stops.  Afterwards though, we were fine with it.  It actually took some work to convince our whole team to even try and repair the car.  I think our real goal was to prove to ourselves and everyone else that we know enough backyard engineering to get the thing running.  I made sure Jay looked at our cooler turned battery box because we didn't want that to be a wasted effort.

Ken

40 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-10-05 09:15 AM)

I was wondering if there was confusion about the 571/51 off track incident. Our driver in the 51 car has raced there more than 20 years and said he was never off the track. So when I went off to miss another car, I was popped hard because I was told that we were in every couple of hours for penalties and that  they were tired of us being there. I'm not whining here, but it seems there  was some confusion late at night about who was doing what. I guess our night strategy will be to pick the slowest car on the track and just follow them all night so we can "stay out of trouble".
I too saw the every other station full course yellow. I'll find out what that was all about. But the flagging was in fact done by LEC. They were a bit shrot handed since the Evil Minions of Nelson were racing the 999 car and some more were with Ded Bull. But when the word goes out about how much fun the event was, we'll have more come next year.
But if it comes about for an entire Lemons solo event, we just may have to tow down for that. And we have a good solo program in NeOhio as well. Could we be talking series here???

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

41 (edited by RobL 2009-10-05 09:39 AM)

We, the Schumacher Taxi Service, had an absolute blast.  I also saw the yellow flag inconsistancies but kudos to the workers - one came out to the cars during one of the red flags and let us know what was going on.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Spinnetti wrote:

Your car sure had plenty of power, but some of your drivers need to slow down your auto-x reflexes!

What were they doing?   Slamming on brakes under yellow???

I want to educate my drivers a bit better, they ARE mostly Solo guys...  I was worried about that...   over half were scared shitless to begin with.. not knowing what to expect, having little to NO wheel to wheel experience.

Likely as not  SMS will be back with at least 2, possibly 3 or even more cars next season.
We certainly don't want to be part of the problem

Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)

43 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-10-05 10:05 AM)

Your guys weren't a problem. Its kinda hard to describe, and again, typical of folks coming out of auto-x. I think its because auto-x folks are used to making fast decisions and reacting fast.... They tended to be kinda all over the track. Mostly just slow down the reflexes a bit. When a car is predictable, everybody knows what to do. If passing a slower car, they know where to move to get out of the way. If a faster car is trying to pass you, they know where to go by you safely. If you move around a lot, it makes everybody jittery, and more prone to contact or other unpleasantness... Not sure if that expresses it right. Not a complaint mind you, just an observation, and I'm sure I'm guilty of some of that too. In my case, I tend to get a bit impatient when I have to wait in slower traffic.

Haha... NO,  it's well taken advice...    "don't treat traffic like cones"   smile

My camera guy (my son) decided to stay in the paddock and play PS3 instead of mounting the go-pro.. so.. I don't have anything but the descriptions of what was going on to go by.....

We sure had a blast..   hopefully we will get better next time, and they won't be so nervous...  bear with us, we will get it down.. and I will be driving next time  once they get around to sewing two suits together to make one big enough..

45 (edited by ninetyfourintegra 2009-10-05 10:50 AM)

Mentioned it to the organizers after the race but will throw it out here too.

C'mon people. Say it with me... "brake lights are RED". Ok again, "Brake lights are RED"

To the smack offs that had yellow brake lights...  you know that ones that look just like the yellow lights used by the flag stations to signify caution, yeh those ones. Ugh.

Too many times I would be coming into oak tree, looking across for the flag station 7 and see yellow lights. At that distance, in the night with crap cans in front, behind and beside me, well it sucks.

Otherwise great time. Shocked at how many cars finished. We stopped in the 10th hour due to knocking and a eroding camshaft. Put some 90wt in and started up back in the 20th hour and made it to the end, though the motor finally started really giving it up with 10min to go but we nursed it to the finish. And gained something like 13 spots by coming back out.

BF stations were hard to see at night, I'll agree with that as was the Red, though I knew it was coming after seeing the Caddy into the bridge and another car off in the swamp at the same time. Otherwise I thought they said that yellows at night were always going to be FC? Was that true? If so that should have made it easier, no?

I think the issue was the BF station was busy with BFs and not working the yellow as much. Perhaps it would have made sense to only have that as a BF station and not a true flag station? Exit of the Carousel and then the kink only? that way we couldn't pass until we go to past the kink? I know I was looking to the BF station and not seeing yellow and pulling as many passes as I could before coming into the kink.

I also liked that we didn't keep the cones in the kink. I don't know that there were many/any issues with speeds. Outside passes in the kink were a non-event for many out there.

Final thought. Nelsons = Lemons. Just something about that combination that just worked.

Jer wrote:

blah blah blah flagging.

blah blah blah miata

the song remains the same

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

blah blah blah Miata?!... I guess I missed that one!

The Lada guys told me after the race that the Spec Miata was claimed....?  If so, serves his dumb arse right... and this from a Spec Miata guy big_smile

EBudman wrote:

blah blah blah Miata?!... I guess I missed that one!

The guys lost a clutch throwout bearing early in the race and called it quits.  They are part of the STS team and I'm embarrassed.  Or, I would be if I didn't envy the amount of beer those guys put away while we were still on track...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Also -- we heard about the blue/yellow and white flags.

The corner workers were not supposed to be using those. Like Sarah Palin, they went rogue.

If you're interested, blue with a yellow stripe means you are too slow and need to let the guy behind you go past and white means a safety vehicle is on the track.

Since most Lemons racers have a hard enough time with two flags (yellow and black), we figure additional flag will only hurt their brains that much more. The corner workers waving blue/yellow and white flags were in and around the Carousel and out of our line of sight. So, sorry they were doing that.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

Also -- we heard about the blue/yellow and white flags.

The corner workers were not supposed to be using those. Like Sarah Palin, they went rogue.

If you're interested, blue with a yellow stripe means you are too slow and need to let the guy behind you go past and white means a safety vehicle is on the track.

Since most Lemons racers have a hard enough time with two flags (yellow and black), we figure additional flag will only hurt their brains that much more. The corner workers waving blue/yellow and white flags were in and around the Carousel and out of our line of sight. So, sorry they were doing that.

While only one guy on our team had wheel to wheel experience, we all have extensive track experience.  The blue/yellow stripe was obvious to us, and we were happy to see it being used.  The white one wasn't so obvious because track days/HPDE's etc, are typically red flagged whenever a safety vehicle has to come on track.  I have only been to one track before that mentioned they would use a white flag, so it wasn't burned in our brain.