Re: So how did we do at Nelson Ledges?

The white was surprising since it was not mentioned in the driver's meeting.  The Blue/Yellow is fairly common, so that wasn't a big deal.  What did surprise me was that on one lap, with no yellows or white flags showing, I came upon a tow truck pushing a dead car after oak tree.  It was only after passing the wrecker that the full course caution was thrown several corners later.  The wrecker had obviously been on the track for several minutes before any flags were shown.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

EBudman wrote:

blah blah blah Miata?!... I guess I missed that one!

The Lada guys told me after the race that the Spec Miata was claimed....?  If so, serves his dumb arse right... and this from a Spec Miata guy big_smile

It was kinda but not really claimed.

The Spec Miata wasn't actually in the race. We told them they could drive it on the track, as long as they relaxed and just went around in circles.

Totally a mistake on our part, as Wreck Pinata guys must go flat out at all times!

So, as they got black flagged, we just yanked that particular driver's yellow wrist band. In other words, you get a black flag, you are done for the race.

At about 7:00 am or so, I was up in the tower and saw the Spec Miata take out a Sentra (100% the Miata's fault) and then they Miata driver flipped off the the Nissan driver. Then the guy in the Spec Miata ran through 5 black flags. When he finally came off the track, I ran down to penalty to KILL HIM.

But, being a coward, he instead sped through the pits, parked and fled! Luckily, our awesome black flag helper Bruce had run after him and when I got there the team was no where to be found.

They parked and ran.

So, I yanked the key out of the ignition. We eventually saw one of the team members slinking about (not in a racing suit -- might have pulled his bracelet earlier) and he said, "That's my car." To which I replied, "It's my fucking car now." Or something like that. I was pretty upset.

Anyhow, I immediately handed the Miata key to Jay who put it in his pocket until noon.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

We had a fantastic time.  Will absolutly be back next year, if you'll have us.  Car ran pretty good, started having a little overheating problem at about hour 6 that we lived with until the end, and blew a coil up at 7:00 sunday morning.  Learned that you cannot bribe the Autozone guy to open any earlier than he wants to.  Got a new one, and went back out to finish.  Special thanks for the nelson's staff, no problems that I ran into at all, and they all seemed to be really friendly and helpful.  Overall, couldn't really have had a better weekend, though could have done without the rain.  Wet pillows and sleeping bags are no fun.  Hope to see you all there next year!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

The team with the spec Miata "backup car" should have gotten the curse not the 944 team.  Judge Jonny, as you stated late in the evening the Miata wasn't eligible, but thier RX-7 still was. We sent our homeless Sheriff of Shantytown to wash peoples windshields, everyone had fun and appreciated the help.  When he arrived in their paddock the Sheriff was not met with open arms but rather with some pretty harsh words.  When we saw their RX-7 getting dragged to their paddock a few hours into the race we all agreed that it could not have happened to a nicer team (insert sarcasm here).  Not sure why they were let back on the course to ruin other people's races in their Miata but you did the right thing in pulling their keys.

"I'm from Shanty Town"
1991 Infiniti Q45a - Half Assed Safety Fast, Team Lamest Mess Racing
1971 Poorsche 914 - Lowbrau Racing

The Woodstock/Battle Of Verdun party/wrenchathon in the mud definitely added to the fun. Breathing all the smoke from the particle-board campfires didn't do our lungs any good, though. Pour some more gas on that Ikea desk and it'll burn better!

As for the Penalty Box, I've never seen so many wrongly accused drivers in my life. All the sweaty, indignant faces and helmet-muffled voices have sort of blurred together in my memory to form a sort of generic Whining Fucking Racer composite. Houston racers are gonna seem positively stoic next to these crybabies!

To the Lamest Day teams that didn't whine: thanks! You kept us from snapping completely and stuffing Wrongly Accused Drivers into the nearest oil-drum fire.

Judge Jonny wrote:
Jer wrote:

blah blah blah flagging.

blah blah blah miata

the song remains the same

Huh?  The thread asked for feedback, I gave some.  Overall the event was fun, track was great, flagging and underpreparation on our part were the only negatives.  We never got black flagged FWIW, so I'm not complaining about some penalty or something, just on-track confusion.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

57 (edited by Jer 2009-10-05 12:25 PM)

RobL wrote:
EBudman wrote:

The guys lost a clutch throwout bearing early in the race and called it quits.  They are part of the STS team and I'm embarrassed.  Or, I would be if I didn't envy the amount of beer those guys put away while we were still on track...

Ha!  We actually called every freakin parts store within 100 miles, and the only clutch available was some $500 clutch made of 24 carat gold or something at Summit Racing about an hour away (not far).  No one was too interested in parting with $500 to fix a Miata which isn't worth $500.  Here's how most calls went:

Advanced Auto/NAPA/Autozone/Joe Bob parts store, can i help you?

I'm looking for a clutch for a 93 Miata. 

A what?

A Miata.

hmmmm

waiting......

Is that an Olds?

No, it's a Mazda.

Oh, we don't carry much for those Jap cars.

I'm not making this up.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I would like to officially beg Jay to make sure Nelson Ledges is permanently on the Lemons schedule.  It was fast, safe and fun and the NL folks were fantastic.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Ha! We were calling around, too.

Do you have an ECU for an OBD1 ABA?

A what?

A 94 Jetta.

What's that?

We were dying! Dying I tell you! I think next year, we're going to run as the Titanic.

Regarding the flagging: I was thrilled to see the blue/yellow passing flag out there. That absolutely should be used. I fully support the corner workers who pulled it and used it! Our car was not super fast, and we have no problem with that flag. We also love to have it pulled on the guys in front of us! But the white flag is a final lap flag, not a safety flag (at least, in MI it is....). I'm used to two whites for two laps remaining, one white for one lap, and then the checker. I believe that is the NASCAR standard, too.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

I'm glad to hear of the pulling of the keys from the Spec Miata.  They practically drove us off the road, and I was thinking "why are they so much faster than OUR Miata?" without realizing at first that it was a spec.  They were a danger, as were certain drivers in the #28.

Overall, it was a great weekend. Opening the  gates on Thursday helped us a great deal getting everyone in. We don't have the space of Toledo that we could park all 130 teams for signup. So we're grateful to those who came early. One thing I just suggested to Kerrie would be to open up the east gate directly off the bridge to let those who have their armbands to come and go from the track. We'll stick someone over there to check armbands for the duration of the weekend. That would cut the traffic down by the barn to next to nothing and allow everyone to get in and out much easier. We had very little problem with registration and everyone was very nice about any small delays they might have had and didn't wank about the costs of getting in.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

i was confused and frustrated by the seemingly interminable yet apparently groundless full-course yellows between 9 and 11 on Saturday evening.  certainly we generally don't get the full story sitting out on track, but it was frustrating circling and circling and not seeing any apparent reason for another FC yellow.

overall, i think the track did a bang-up job (pardon the pun) and really hope that we get to come back next year.  i agree that it was probably the "Lemonsest" of the Lemons events i've been to so far.

Judge Jonny wrote:

The Spec Miata wasn't actually in the race. We told them they could drive it on the track, as long as they relaxed and just went around in circles.

proof that slow does not equal "relaxed."

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Lamest Day - epic stuff.

Random Thoughts ......

Does anyone think there was a bit of Woodstock vibe going on? "3 days of grease, mud and Lemons? ".

Flagging - hell yes I saw a few flaky flags. But I saw a whole lot more flaky driving that SHOULD have gotten flagged but didn't.  In the end, it all evens out. It's Lemons!!!     

For the drivers who want to bitch about the flagging please go to your local track and volunteer to stand out at a corner station in the cold, wet and dark for 3 days for no pay THEN you can file you bitch here.

For the drivers who want to take your racing seriously then go SCCA or NASA. If you don't like driving in traffic go buy a Porsche and do HPDE events (just don't tell anyone you are going 'racing' when you really are going 'driving', racing is door to door)

Jay should have a trick question for all entrants - Do you want to really win a Lemons race. If the answer is 'yes, I want to go fast and beat everyone else to show what a hero driver I am' then the entry should be denied on the spot. 

Hat's off the the #27 car that won.  I drove 3.5 hours and can't ever recall seeing them on the track.  That's how clean, low key, under the radar and winning performance they put it.  Great job guys. I hope you raised plenty of money for your cause.

For the noobs - yellow means 'caution do not pass' NOT slam on the brakes.   
For the noobs - yes, you can pass the damn tow truck you don't need to stop behind it or wait for it. 
For the noobs - under yellow flag condtions STAY UP WITH THE CAR IN FRONT OF YOU! Don't lag 100 yards behind the car in front of you. Group up and stay that way.
For the noobs - drive the line, don't 'help' by going off line, you only confuse the rest of us. 
For the terminally slow, like the Lada, Cadillac & Olds 98 - you guys did a GREAT job driving a predictable line. Hat's off to you.

Jay - I don't know how much you pay the judges but you should double what those guys are gettig paid. They ARE the show.  They know their stuff and do a good job being fare as humanly possible in the face a near endless stream of guilty or probably guilty drivers.  Bravo well done.

So .... how soon can I send in my entry for next years event?????

Spud

Chief Scammer
Junk Player Special #51
(we were slow in a straight line but had a ton of fun in the corners!!)

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Judge Jonny wrote:

At about 7:00 am or so, I was up in the tower and saw the Spec Miata take out a Sentra (100% the Miata's fault) and then they Miata driver flipped off the the Nissan driver. Then the guy in the Spec Miata ran through 5 black flags. When he finally came off the track, I ran down to penalty to KILL HIM.

But, being a coward, he instead sped through the pits, parked and fled! Luckily, our awesome black flag helper Bruce had run after him and when I got there the team was no where to be found.

I did not realize that the Spec Miata was allowed on the track, and now I'm disappointed in myself for not saying something to track officials.  The Spec Miata owner was drinking while driving in the paddock.  I thought it was a bad idea but since he seemed to be doing okay in the paddock and wasn't going on track I didn't say anything.  Had I known he was going out on track after drinking, the officials would have heard it from me.  I apologize.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/Verdun_Mud_Caddy-800px.jpg

Here's one of my favorite photos from the weekend. It was like something out of All Quiet On The Western Front in the muddier areas.

Hi all,

First I wanted to thank everyone for coming out to Nelson for the visit over the weekend.   For the most part it was a pleasure hosting the event.  Reading all the complaints / criticisms of the corner workers is somewhat disappointing but I definitely understand why some of the confusion existed.  Most of the confusion seemed to be associated to the decision to follow the wrecker with a yellow .  I realize that some of the participants have never seen a white flag used for covering a slow moving or emergency vehicle, but all this confusion clearly demonstrates why it is a very useful flag.  I don't think it is beyond the capability of the majority of the Lemons racers to learn this concept very quickly.  Same goes for the Blue Flag.  Check your mirrors-  Not too difficult.  As mentioned above corner working can be a tough job and most if not all of the workers at this event have had years of experience.  If we would have let them use all their flags like they have done at thousands of races I think the entire race would have been safer and more enjoyable.  This would have cut down on a lot of penalties provided the drivers with useful info and avoid confusion.  The attempt to dumb down the flagging communications is dumb.

Scott, i don't think anyone is criticizing the corner workers.  those guys/gals have a tough job, and i think i can safely speak for all the participants in saying that their hard work is much appreciated.  that said, feedback was requested, and provided.  hopefully it is taken in the constructive spirit in which it's intended.

this was the best of the four Lemons i've done so far, and really hope NL becomes a regular fixture on the schedule.  it's a wonderful track and i can't wait to go back.

12+-time loser

FYI - Scott@Nelson is the track president at Nelsons (I think that's the right title). Scott & his staff (Bryan, Kerrie, Rick, Fred, + the Minions) are the folks who worked like dogs through the deluge to pull off the Lamest Day in conjuction with Jay & his hard working group of traveling race degenerates (I mean that as a compliment). 

Thanks Scott.
Thanks Jay.

Had a ball, can't wait to do it again next year!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

#24 Buick Chiming in on the feedback here;

I Loved Nelson Ledges! I most assuredly want to go back! maybe not so late in the year, please? I almost froze my ass off taking a nap after my night stint.

Flagging was a bit confusing. I didn't notice or take issue with the white, I loved the inclusion of the blue/yellow-stripe, but I started feeling really frustrated when a flag/light station was on followed by off then on for two stations then off again. at one point there was no yellow at the carousel station when a car was obviously off within view of the stand (inside, not out) then a yellow light at the backstraight/blackflag station, then NO yellow light at the chicane with a Lemons car parked immediately in front of it. it was suddenly opposite day, it seemed. Full-course black was COMPLETELY confusing. Nobody mentioned it at the driver's meeting.

I think the paddock area could use a bit more upkeep, maybe some gravel or something along the pathways as i was wondering when we'd get stuck. Also maybe a few extra porta-johns in some areas.

All in all, the event was fantastic and I would not hesitate to enter again for 2010.

Topless Asset Racing had a disappointing (and wet and cold) weekend but still had a great time. We got in probably less than 2 hours of racing before our head gasket blew. We started on dropping the motors from the parts car and the race car at about 2:45 and had the donor motor totally wired up in the race car by about 8:30.

Unfortunately, we then spent the better part of the next 7 hours trying to get the 1 & 2 cylinders to fire and were never met with luck despite trying every suggestion possible short of swapping the entire chassis electrical harness from the donor car smile  We called it dead at 3:08 am. I was really proud of our team for pulling it together after the first engine blew and everyone really sweating it out to drop 2 engines simultaneously, swapping them, and getting the one in the race car buttoned back up. Mostly, at least.

I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone who stopped by as we were doing the engine swaps and troubleshooting. Thanks especially to the Hard Drive Racing guys with the yellow Transformers Camaro for loaning us the cherry picker and the test light, and to Rob and the rest of the guys at Schumacher Taxi Squad and to Bill Strong and David Hawkins of Mod Squad for their advice when we were troubleshooting the injector problem.

I agree with trying to keep NL on the schedule in 2010. I'd love to race there again, preferably for more than just a couple hours. If it could be scheduled for sometime in the summer would be better -- who would imagine that Ohio in the fall can be rainy and cold? smile

Other suggestion: get a third coffee stand that sells just drip coffee. It was crazy to stand in the line for 30 minutes while someone was getting crazy espresso drinks for their whole team. That said, the coffee was good, much better than typical weak-ass track swill, and the folks there were super nice and open all-night, which we really appreciated while trying to do the motor swap dance.

Despite not running as long as we would have liked and ending up disappointed, I still had a fun time (even wrenching on a dead car is better than work) and can't wait to rejoin the circus at MSR-Houston. Cheers guys.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

71 (edited by EBudman 2009-10-05 02:16 PM)

Jer wrote:

Ha!  We actually called every freakin parts store within 100 miles, and the only clutch available was some $500 clutch made of 24 carat gold or something at Summit Racing about an hour away (not far).  No one was too interested in parting with $500 to fix a Miata which isn't worth $500.  Here's how most calls went:

Advanced Auto/NAPA/Autozone/Joe Bob parts store, can i help you?

I'm looking for a clutch for a 93 Miata. 

A what?

A Miata.

hmmmm

waiting......

Is that an Olds?

No, it's a Mazda.

Oh, we don't carry much for those Jap cars.

I'm not making this up.

Jer,

Next time... come looking for a trailer that has Mazda & Spec Miata on the back door.  We didn't have the Miata or drive like an Asshat, but I had a stock clutch kit that you could have had for pennies on the dollar....

Eric

72 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-10-05 02:32 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:
EBudman wrote:

The Lada guys told me after the race that the Spec Miata was claimed....?  If so, serves his dumb arse right... and this from a Spec Miata guy big_smile

It was kinda but not really claimed.

Totally a mistake on our part, as Wreck Pinata guys must go flat out at all times!

I think that's the miata that nearly gave me a concussion as I was sitting there under yellow? Thanks in part to the rear end shut our trans broke sad Spec miatas are a PITA in any circumstances, much less Lemons!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Half Assed Safety Fast wrote:

The team with the spec Miata "backup car" should have gotten the curse not the 944 team.  Judge Jonny, as you stated late in the evening the Miata wasn't eligible, but thier RX-7 still was. We sent our homeless Sheriff of Shantytown to wash peoples windshields, everyone had fun and appreciated the help.  When he arrived in their paddock the Sheriff was not met with open arms but rather with some pretty harsh words.  When we saw their RX-7 getting dragged to their paddock a few hours into the race we all agreed that it could not have happened to a nicer team (insert sarcasm here).  Not sure why they were let back on the course to ruin other people's races in their Miata but you did the right thing in pulling their keys.

How'd you guys do? Your theme was all out! I have a lex LS400 I'm building, so when I saw the Q45 headlight sticking out of your theme, I was of course interested and suspicious! smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

EBudman wrote:

Jer,

Next time... come looking for a trailer that has Mazda & Spec Miata on the back door.  We didn't have the Miata or drive like an Asshat, but I had a stock clutch kit that you could have had for pennies on the dollar....

Eric

this gives me an idea.  a parts swapper board.  need a part?  write it on the board.  have a part listed on the board?  be a good guy and go help 'em out.

12+-time loser

75 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-10-05 02:35 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

The Woodstock/Battle Of Verdun party/wrenchathon in the mud definitely added to the fun. Breathing all the smoke from the particle-board campfires didn't do our lungs any good, though. Pour some more gas on that Ikea desk and it'll burn better!

As for the Penalty Box, I've never seen so many wrongly accused drivers in my life. All the sweaty, indignant faces and helmet-muffled voices have sort of blurred together in my memory to form a sort of generic Whining Fucking Racer composite. Houston racers are gonna seem positively stoic next to these crybabies!

To the Lamest Day teams that didn't whine: thanks! You kept us from snapping completely and stuffing Wrongly Accused Drivers into the nearest oil-drum fire.

Well, I was guilty. I didn't get flagged until half a race later (thus was confused), but did have unintentional contact with another car (Sorry about that!). I was just driving too hard, and when the door got shut on me, I had too much speed differential and ran out of room.. I shouldda planned the overtake better. At the time I was driving hard and I wanted to see what we could do, but we actually had the right stuff right up to the last couple hours.... If it was the 22hrs of Lemons...... smile

What did the 944 guys do for the curse anyway? I thought they did a nice job on the theme and never even saw them out there.

PS, This was my first time at Nelsons, and I think the staff did a great job given the large number of people and the soggy paddock! I agree with another poster that somehow Nelsons = Lemons. Its a perfect match!