Re: So how did we do at Nelson Ledges?

Buzz Killington wrote:
EBudman wrote:

Jer,

Next time... come looking for a trailer that has Mazda & Spec Miata on the back door.  We didn't have the Miata or drive like an Asshat, but I had a stock clutch kit that you could have had for pennies on the dollar....

Eric

this gives me an idea.  a parts swapper board.  need a part?  write it on the board.  have a part listed on the board?  be a good guy and go help 'em out.

Excellent idea.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I think (and those on my team agree) that the track was great. The drivers liked the fact that they could run the whole track (almost as much as that awesome seat I spent their money on). The rest rooms were always clean and garbage cans were being cleaned all the time. Scott, you and your crew did an outstanding job!

Hats off to all the corner workers. Some time ago I used to do the same thing and it is not easy to do for a day full of racing. Doing it for 24 hours must be doubly so. Thank you for taking the time to come out in the cold and rain to keep an eye on us hooligans on the track. We could not do it without you.

One of my favorite images of the event was watching the ass end of the Cadillac step out in turn 12 (end of the back straight) while the driver wrestled that beast with arm loads of steering lock and a planted right foot.

My hat is off to the entire Cadillac team. You guys are true Lemons racers. Well done!

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Buzz, I'm a little defensive about the corner workers because none of us would be able to enjoy this sport without them.  But mostly because they were put in a bad situation because they were handcuffed to operate in an effective manner.   We do appreciate all the feedback and I know the corner workers are always asking for feedback.  I hope we will be able to let them do their jobs they way they are supposed to in the future, then when they screw that up we can really bitch at them just like normal.  I know they are usually at fault for most of by bad driving. 

Serj,  A yellow flag is displayed at the station before the incident, or Lemons car, in this case it not supposed to be displayed at the corner station just past the incident.  The zone for the yellow starts at the first station that it is displayed at and stops at the incident.  On some occasions a corner station may request a back-up yellow be presented prior to their station because the car is in bad location ant they feel the drivers could use some additional warning.

If we have another race next year I'll have a brief summary of flagging put together to help explain things and provide a tool for noob training.

Great event, great track.  LOVED not having any chicanes!  I appreciated the workers who were tossing the blue/yellow and wish it would be used more often since a lot of folks don't seem to get the whole 'endurance race' concept.  We aren't running 5 lap sprints where blocking will get you the win.

The shower trailer was awesome.  The cold and rain were not (you ARE planning to cover and heat the entire facility, right?  smile)

Look forward to coming back.  Thanks to everyone involved in organizing and running this!

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Scott, Bryan, I didn't mention this before, but the hot water in the shower station (regular restrooms) was WONDERFUL! I think I used half a tank warming up saturday morning. Thank you. It's funny how showers are one of the more neglected areas of the track (Grattan, I'm talking to you!), but make such a difference in the experience. Once you can get clean and warm, nothing matters!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Yeh, Yellow = No passing from flag stand to incident or until next stand not displaying. That's it.

I know the incident with the car on the inside of the carousel and the caution flag before it and not after it. I can't remember how many cars I passed in those 3 laps or so in that spot.

I also agree that full flags should be required. If you don't know what they mean, learn, if you ignore, go see the judge.

My hats are off to the corner workers. Typically we wave on the cool-down lap, since I wasn't planning on running a cool down lap, I spent two of my hot laps waving to them as I drove by.

As for the never-ending FCs, both ambulances were occupied and therefore unavailable should some crap can go for a roll and need help. Maybe a BF All to get some work on the cars, instead of wasting (wasting is a bad word for that particular situation) during that time?

Scott @ Nelson wrote:

If we have another race next year...

Please have another race next year.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Scott @ Nelson wrote:

Buzz, I'm a little defensive about the corner workers because none of us would be able to enjoy this sport without them.  But mostly because they were put in a bad situation because they were handcuffed to operate in an effective manner.   We do appreciate all the feedback and I know the corner workers are always asking for feedback.  I hope we will be able to let them do their jobs they way they are supposed to in the future, then when they screw that up we can really bitch at them just like normal.  I know they are usually at fault for most of by bad driving.

smile  if i came off critical, it was certainly not intended that way.  i agree that use of all the flags is a good idea.

and as mericet mentioned, the facilities folks did an amazing job keeping the restrooms from becoming a nightmare, given the crowd and the weather.  that was a really nice thing to have.  all in all a kick-ass job by you guys.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Facilities were great, clean, and almost always warm :-) .

The corner workers were great too!  Could have done without the long yellows at night, but thats not their fault, its ours, I'll be the first to admit I suck at night driving, real hard to pick up cars on the low side coming from behind you (couldn't notice the lights because you were surrounded by it) .  We had a fairly powerful light setup ourselves, but once the windshield got oiled by a smoking car or two, I couldn't see a damn thing.... good thing that happened relatively  late in my stint and we were able to clean of the windshield quickly during our stop.

EBudman wrote:

Jer,

Next time... come looking for a trailer that has Mazda & Spec Miata on the back door.  We didn't have the Miata or drive like an Asshat, but I had a stock clutch kit that you could have had for pennies on the dollar....

Eric

Eric...I wandered the paddock and asked no fewer than 20 teams (and I asked the red SM crew—they claimed they did not have one).

I didn't notice any trailers with Mazda or SM on the back—most of the trailers tailgates were down. But, next time we will have a spare of everything we can carry.

Buzz's idea is excellent...we should have put a note on the bathroom wall like the helmet guy did—which we found on our trailer Sunday morning during cleaning up and gave back to them.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

We rolled in around Noon on Friday and ended up parking at the south end of the paddock, not far from Turns 2/3.  I don't even know who the guy was in the 76 car & I'm pretty sure that I'll try to keep the status quo after his performance this weekend.  If he had been a NeOhio SM regular, he probably would have known where to direct you

We MIGHT have heard any PA announcements looking for parts, as I had the radio on in the trailer most of the weekend, but I think Buzz has the best idea.... 

I normally look at the ads outside of the bathroom at Nelson, but as crowded as the paddock was, we parked close to a Johnny-on-the-spot & I never went near the regular bathrooms.  An "I really need..." white board near the hourly results would be the best bet.

Eric

88 (edited by Jer 2009-10-05 06:04 PM)

EBudman wrote:
Jer wrote:

Ha!  We actually called every freakin parts store within 100 miles, and the only clutch available was some $500 clutch made of 24 carat gold or something at Summit Racing about an hour away (not far).  No one was too interested in parting with $500 to fix a Miata which isn't worth $500.  Here's how most calls went:

Advanced Auto/NAPA/Autozone/Joe Bob parts store, can i help you?

I'm looking for a clutch for a 93 Miata. 

A what?

A Miata.

hmmmm

waiting......

Is that an Olds?

No, it's a Mazda.

Oh, we don't carry much for those Jap cars.

I'm not making this up.

Jer,

Eric

Ah crap, we went to the guys with the spec and they said they didn't have a spare.  If we knew there was someone else there with one, we would have been there instantly!  oh well...

Love the idea of the parts needed board!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

oneday wrote:
EBudman wrote:

Jer,

Eric

Eric...I wandered the paddock and asked no fewer than 20 teams (and I asked the red SM crew—they claimed they did not have one).

I didn't notice any trailers with Mazda or SM on the back—most of the trailers tailgates were down. But, next time we will have a spare of everything we can carry.

Buzz's idea is excellent...we should have put a note on the bathroom wall like the helmet guy did—which we found on our trailer Sunday morning during cleaning up and gave back to them.

You should let me, Jonny, or Nick know when you're looking for parts. I do a lot of roaming around looking for heroic fix info and I often know who's got what parts stashed (some teams bring crazy hoards of crap totally unrelated to the car they're running). We can also promise leniency to busted miscreants in exchange for canvassing for needed parts.

Judge Jonny wrote:
EBudman wrote:

blah blah blah Miata?!... I guess I missed that one!

The Lada guys told me after the race that the Spec Miata was claimed....?  If so, serves his dumb arse right... and this from a Spec Miata guy big_smile

It was kinda but not really claimed.

The Spec Miata wasn't actually in the race. We told them they could drive it on the track, as long as they relaxed and just went around in circles.

Totally a mistake on our part, as Wreck Pinata guys must go flat out at all times!

So, as they got black flagged, we just yanked that particular driver's yellow wrist band. In other words, you get a black flag, you are done for the race.

At about 7:00 am or so, I was up in the tower and saw the Spec Miata take out a Sentra (100% the Miata's fault) and then they Miata driver flipped off the the Nissan driver. Then the guy in the Spec Miata ran through 5 black flags. When he finally came off the track, I ran down to penalty to KILL HIM.

But, being a coward, he instead sped through the pits, parked and fled! Luckily, our awesome black flag helper Bruce had run after him and when I got there the team was no where to be found.

They parked and ran.

So, I yanked the key out of the ignition. We eventually saw one of the team members slinking about (not in a racing suit -- might have pulled his bracelet earlier) and he said, "That's my car." To which I replied, "It's my fucking car now." Or something like that. I was pretty upset.

Anyhow, I immediately handed the Miata key to Jay who put it in his pocket until noon.

Thanks for taking care of that ass-clown....I was the guy that he "ran out of talent" into.....funny thing was that I was passing him when he ran into me.....We ran nose to tail for 2-3 laps when he went wide into T12 all by himself. I went under him had the run onto the front straightaway giving him room when all of the sudden he thought he was running out of race track and drove into the side of me..

I am sure it wasn't hard to see as I think that we jumped each others wheels...the headlights had to be all over the place to the people in the starters stand.  I was able to see better with him in front of me as our lighting was not up to par and he got back by on the back straight ....as he went by he was flipping me the "I'm #1" sign, the J/A is lucky I didnt send him to the silo on the exit of the kink.......Lucky I'm not like that.

He did not take us out however we were able to continue...with the steering wheel slightly out of kilter.

This was our first Lemons event and our team and I personally had a great time !!!!! I think that I might have had more fun running this event than the NASA events in my stoooopid-fast Corvette......Who would've thought...

We/I will be back again for more fun, laughter ...........and penalties......

Thank you Lemons and NL roadcourse, you both rock !!!!

RAFTRACER wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
EBudman wrote:

blah blah blah Miata?!... I guess I missed that one!

The Lada guys told me after the race that the Spec Miata was claimed....?  If so, serves his dumb arse right... and this from a Spec Miata guy big_smile

It was kinda but not really claimed.

The Spec Miata wasn't actually in the race. We told them they could drive it on the track, as long as they relaxed and just went around in circles.

Totally a mistake on our part, as Wreck Pinata guys must go flat out at all times!

So, as they got black flagged, we just yanked that particular driver's yellow wrist band. In other words, you get a black flag, you are done for the race.

At about 7:00 am or so, I was up in the tower and saw the Spec Miata take out a Sentra (100% the Miata's fault) and then they Miata driver flipped off the the Nissan driver. Then the guy in the Spec Miata ran through 5 black flags. When he finally came off the track, I ran down to penalty to KILL HIM.

But, being a coward, he instead sped through the pits, parked and fled! Luckily, our awesome black flag helper Bruce had run after him and when I got there the team was no where to be found.

They parked and ran.

So, I yanked the key out of the ignition. We eventually saw one of the team members slinking about (not in a racing suit -- might have pulled his bracelet earlier) and he said, "That's my car." To which I replied, "It's my fucking car now." Or something like that. I was pretty upset.

Anyhow, I immediately handed the Miata key to Jay who put it in his pocket until noon.

Thanks for taking care of that ass-clown....I was the guy that he "ran out of talent" into.....funny thing was that I was passing him when he ran into me.....We ran nose to tail for 2-3 laps when he went wide into T12 all by himself. I went under him had the run onto the front straightaway giving him room when all of the sudden he thought he was running out of race track and drove into the side of me..

I am sure it wasn't hard to see as I think that we jumped each others wheels...the headlights had to be all over the place to the people in the starters stand.  I was able to see better with him in front of me as our lighting was not up to par and he got back by on the back straight ....as he went by he was flipping me the "I'm #1" sign, the J/A is lucky I didnt send him to the silo on the exit of the kink.......Lucky I'm not like that.

He did not take us out however we were able to continue...with the steering wheel slightly out of kilter.

This was our first Lemons event and our team and I personally had a great time !!!!! I think that I might have had more fun running this event than the NASA events in my stoooopid-fast Corvette......Who would've thought...

We/I will be back again for more fun, laughter ...........and penalties......

Thank you Lemons and NL roadcourse, you both rock !!!!

Hell yeah we'll be back. With a C4!!! wink

greenhornet wrote:

Enjoyed the lamest day. I worked at Grid. Got slimed by the car with the roof exahust (top pipe?).

You got slimed by the bottles of Mike's Hard Lemonade (dropped off at the Penalty Box in a team's attempt to bribe their way out of trouble- as if we drink that sorority-girl swill, and as if a bribe would help with anything other than the BS Inspection) that Deputy Judge Andy poured down the Saab's roof-mounted tailpipe during a penalty stop. If it makes you feel any better, I got covered by a mixture of Saab muffler schmutz and Sorority Girl Swill when the Saab revved its engine. DisGUSTing!

Team Reynolds Style Capitan or shortest straw drawer here -

First off... Nelsons crew and Lemons crew -

Gold star next to everyone's name, what a fantastic, well organized event.  To have that many cars on that track and still be able to keep it cool out there was a MIRACLE of some note, masterfully done.

Corner Workers / Flagging System  -

We were very familiar with the Blue / Yellow stripped flag - we were struggling with a an engine that was progressively deteriorating and was very angry above 3K RPM by the end of the race - so we all caught on rather quickly what that meant..

I think we saw a Red / Yellow flag once which I am guessing was debris on the road - someone failed to replace their divots after a solid drive through the grass.

This was the first time any of our drivers ever:

Drove our car at speed
Drove our car at speed on a Race Track
Drove our car at speed on a busy race track
Drove our car at speed on a busy race track at night

The sensory overload was palatable - we tried to just stay out of everyone's way on the track and we had a BLAST - the people were awesome, everyone was super helpful

Some thoughts:

- Someone, I have no idea - saw me driving my car to join the parade late for the start (kill switch) and was able to identify that my harness was not configured correctly.  Him and an associate picked out no less than 4 issues with our safety harness - all of which could have potentially severely compromised me as a going concern in a bad accident. For that - I want to thank them for potentially saving my ass.  While I agree 110% that the issues our safety harness is the responsibility of the team - NONE of us had every seen a 6 point harness before this race - let alone knew what one was supposed to look like set up correctly (we fixed it all and got on the track 'round 1:30)- can there be some addition language in the rules that maybe better identify the harness situation?  Or maybe have an optional tech for safety harnesses for those of us who are truly clueless?

- The Friday Morning meeting should have been done in full before Friday nights meeting.  I'm guessing it was assumed that everyone was going to do both - It was certainly my intentions to do both - except the car was you know, not finished.

- Please please please come back to Nelson - Scott - please have us back smile

- Inter paddock communication - we cracked our kill switch 40 minutes before the race and then we rotted through a brake line which required a flare kit which I'm sure someone had if we were able to ask everyone... many people came by and asked for help and we obliged when we could - If there was some way to know what you could do to help a fellow racer - 9/10 that help would come so - is there a creative lemony way to spread the word that help is needed? A community board to post? A town crier would be fun (and a good penalty) just thinking out loud.

Thats all I got - we are looking forward and are planning on coming back next year - hopefully we can get the theme done this time and be a little more involved in the lemony spirit

Cheers!

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

94 (edited by Loren 2009-10-05 07:39 PM)

Hey, Wave-it, give us some super-secret inside perspective on corner working.  Do you guys diligently call "everything" that qualifies as a "punishable offense"?  Or do you let things go sometimes?

For instance, I got chopped by a non-mirror-watchin' Saab driver while exiting the carousel and I'm certain that I was 4-wheels-off, if only slightly.  I was able to gather it back up and continue on without even losing much speed... but I expected a flag out of it.  Did I get lucky and that didn't get seen?  Or did the workers perhaps see what happened and take pity on my situation and/or respect that I was able to regain control without issue?

Do you guys watch the cars on course and develop some sense of partiality to the drivers who demonstrate good driving all day, and give them a little margin if/when you can?  Or are you completely and totally impartial... you know, like the Judges are.

Our team was also pondering in the wee hours of Sunday morning how effective bribes would be on the corner workers.  wink

PS:  THANKS!  I know you guys have fun doing what you do, but I also know it's miserable at times.  We appreciate your unwaivering professionalism.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We did amazingly well!!  We had to endure a lot of people saying "thats not a $500 car its too nice looking!"  on Friday.  Serisouly??  Its a CAMARO with tracor paint covering the rust holes!  But on the upside we had many MORE people telling us how cool we looked and lots of people gave us the Van Halen sighn as they drove by.  The car passed its tech inspection with ease and it was simply mocked at BS inspection.  Jay actually suck a boroscope into our valve covers to look for cheating roller rockers, instead he found lots of carbon buildup so all the BS judges laughed and told us to "get this peice of shit outta here!!"  To show them I was a good sport I still gave them the beer,cheese and sasage that we had for a bribe,  I mean why not??

In the race we started things off on the wrong foot.  We managed to score a trio of black flags as well as getting the car stuck in the mud in turn one (my fault...I'm no hero!).   So we ended up spending way too much time...duct taped to each other in the pits..but ANYWAYS after that we put our heads down and got back to turning laps.

Frankie (our Camaro) just kept on trucking the whole race!  About 4 hours into the race the gauges all died.  I tried to fix them but to no avail,  so from that point on we just had to guess how much gas was in the car, how fast it was going in the pits, and so forth!  So we made an extra stop or two for gas (the yellows really screwed us up)  but beyond that Frankie pretty much spat in the face of all the negative waves that the Camaro has as a Lemons car. 

The car and the team ran great for the rest of the race, at the 22 hour mark we started to think we might just be able to finish this crazy little event and then...another black flag.  Turns out we were leaking gas, not able to tell how much was in the car we overfilled the poor thing and it was pouring down the fender.  So we siphoned some out, washed the gas off, got the OK from the judge and went back out.  Two hours later the checkers started to wave!  Last year we didn't see the 4 hour mark, this year we finished the whole thing,  SWEET!!!    So I guess the only way to do better is to try and win next year.

See you guys then.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

It was good talking with you guys Tiptoe the Rat.  We wish we could have spent more time on the track, but it was a ton of fun.  Your car did look nice.  Ours was similar, we had lots of people tell us they liked our car even though it was a crapcan covered in Rustoleum applied with rollers and brushes.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Nelson ROCKS!...   It IS Lemons and we are hoping for at LEAST one crapfest there in 2010..

(RAFTRACER=D. Popp= Vette Supremacy)  am I name dropping? Yes I am..  lol..  Glad he is on our team.. along with Trippinbillies and the rest...

Just how badly do ya'll wanna see a C4?  Has it been done??  I thought it had, but I can't find it???

Owner: Stanford Motorsports (sounds better than it is!)
Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)
Other nonsense:  Solo Director, Cincy SCCA, Board of Directors, Cincy SCCA

So how did we do at Nelson Ledges?

Awesome.
I was one of the first guys there. Yes, I was the guy towing the Toyota MR2 parked outside the front gate at oh dark thirty on Thursday. I was so excited about finally getting to race at the famous Nelson Ledges Road Course I left my home in Central Virginia a bit early. And I am glad I did.

The grounds were spectacular. Though to me it looked smaller than I remembered from watching the IMSA cars racing there in the 80s on TV.
Nelson Ledges is one of my top ten "have to race on" tracks. I have finally done it, and I had a blast doing it.

I knew going in that the 24 hours would be one of the hardest things I would ever do in my life to this point, and it was. The facilities at the track really helped, and the people running the place were more than friendly and willing to help. Since I was early I was able to watch the crew get things setup, wondering if they understood the meaning of Lemons and the fact that their prestigious race track was about to be turned into a junk yard. Then I saw their yellow Lemons work shirts and knew they were.

I really want to than the guys / gals that moved the cones on the back straight. I love you guys (in a beer commercial sort of way). Thank you again. You made the racing so much better. And sorry for cussing at all the brake lights on the kink... smile if you heard me.

To the corner workers. You guys and gals rock! Hard! 24 hours of watching out shit boxes tear up your lovely Ohio landscape would make any grown man cry. I am glad you threw those black flags. I drove around the neighborhoods on Wednesday night looking for the Hidden Something Hotel out by the air port that my GPS said was right "Here", but sadly it was hidden... but I saw the very nicely taken cared for lawns. And man some, if not all were very nice! I understand why you did not like our junk tearing up your house!
I enjoyed the Blue/Yellow. That really did help out a lot. Thank you.

Is there a lost and found?
We lost 3 bolts off our white #87 Toyota MR2 exhaust system. If you find them, can we have them back?  smile

My wife asked which I liked better, the 2x 12s or the full 24. I said I liked them both, but more the 24 at Nelson Ledges. That was pure brutality. I cried a tear or two at the end because I am such a p*ssy and because I was so surprised and happy that our car finished.

Please have us back, and please Lemons folks, please consider Nelson Ledges as part of your show. The two just go so well together. The judging is brutal, the weather is brutal, the mud is brutal and the track is brutal. It is a a match made in heaven.

Thank you again... I am starting to tear up again...

Please have us back.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

I think one of these two teams needs to come to the next race as Team Mistaken Identity.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/MistakenIdentity22-800px.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/MistakenIdentity422-800px.jpg

Jeff G 78 wrote:

It was good talking with you guys Tiptoe the Rat.  We wish we could have spent more time on the track, but it was a ton of fun.  Your car did look nice.  Ours was similar, we had lots of people tell us they liked our car even though it was a crapcan covered in Rustoleum applied with rollers and brushes.

Me and my old man are big fans of the BRE cars.  So your 240 put a big smile on both our faces, I took lots of pictures of your car.  Better luck next year and hopefully we will see you then.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!