Re: So how did we do at Nelson Ledges?

Science Abuse wrote:

You each deserve a medal made of blowjobs,

BEST    MEDAL    EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner: Stanford Motorsports (sounds better than it is!)
Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)
Other nonsense:  Solo Director, Cincy SCCA, Board of Directors, Cincy SCCA

DrunkMike wrote:

- Someone, I have no idea - saw me driving my car to join the parade late for the start (kill switch) and was able to identify that my harness was not configured correctly.  Him and an associate picked out no less than 4 issues with our safety harness - all of which could have potentially severely compromised me as a going concern in a bad accident. For that - I want to thank them for potentially saving my ass.  While I agree 110% that the issues our safety harness is the responsibility of the team - NONE of us had every seen a 6 point harness before this race - let alone knew what one was supposed to look like set up correctly (we fixed it all and got on the track 'round 1:30)- can there be some addition language in the rules that maybe better identify the harness situation?  Or maybe have an optional tech for safety harnesses for those of us who are truly clueless?

You're welcome. We did this for 5 cars. Only looked at about 20 cars. Not good odds.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

103 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-10-06 06:27 AM)

Light bulb goes off.

I THOUGHT I heard Jay say during the meeting that the no passing was from when you can SEE the yellow flag station to when you can SEE the a flag station that's not yellow. Those are the rules I followed, even when it lead to passing past incidents. It seemed like others around me were doing the same thing. We'd see the spun car and the non-yellow station and everyone goes to full throttle, even if its before the incident.

Did I hear the rules wrong at the meeting? This would explain why my team thought the flagging was terrible. The flaggers were flagging using the "no pass until after the incident or you see the next non-yellow station" rule as described able.

I apologize to anyone who I passed under yellow if I wasn't following the rules right.

104 (edited by ninetyfourintegra 2009-10-06 06:42 AM)

Here are the yellow flag rules from the NASA CCR:

19.3.4 Yellow Flag - Standing
Categories: Command; Advisory; Local.
Description: A solid motionless yellow flag, displayed at any flag station(s) found
anywhere around the course.
Uses: This is used locally, to advise drivers that a hazard is close; and is usually
displayed at one or more of the flag stations just before reaching a Waving Yellow.
Command: Drivers shall SLOW THEIR VEHICLES in preparation for any evasive
maneuvers that may be necessary to avoid a potential hazard. ABSOLUTELY NO
PASSING is permitted, until completely past the incident, or until past next
manned flag station that is not displaying any Yellow Flag(s), whichever comes
first.
[Note: If this flag is displayed to indicate a hazard on, or near the course, it may be
rescinded after two (2) laps even if the hazard remains. However, when this flag is used
to protect Safety and/or Tow Personnel it should remain displayed for as long a
necessary.]

19.3.5 Yellow Flag - Waving
Categories: Command; Advisory; Local.
Description: A solid waving yellow flag, displayed at a flag station(s) found anywhere
around the course.
Uses: This is used locally, to advise drivers that there is extreme danger in the
immediate area. Command: Drivers shall SIGNIFICANTLY SLOW THEIR VEHICLES in
preparation for any necessary evasive maneuvers, or coming to a complete stop to
avoid a striking potential hazard. NO PASSING is permitted, until completely past
the incident, or until past the next manned flag station that is not displaying any
Yellow Flag(s), whichever comes first. [Note: If this flag is displayed to indicate a
hazard on, or near the course, it may be rescinded after two (2) laps even if the hazard
remains. However, when this flag is used to protect Safety and/or Tow Personnel it
should remain displayed for as long as necessary.]
19.3.6 Double Yellow Flags
Categories: Command; Global.
Description: Two (2) solid motionless yellow flags, displayed at every manned flag
station around the course.
Uses: NO PASSING is permitted. This is used to indicate “a full course yellow.” This
means that there might be a problem somewhere on the track. Drivers are NOT
required to significantly slow their vehicles, however they should be prepared to
encounter a “local Yellow Flag” situation and/or a Pace Car (or a very slow moving pack
behind the Pace Car). The displaying of Double Yellow Flags does not guarantee the
appearance of a Pace Car. It is a command that NO PASSING IS ALLOWED until the
Pace Car has pulled off the course (if applicable) and the driver has passed next
manned flag station that is not displaying any Yellow Flag(s). Reference Pace Car
[Ref:(19.4.1)], [Ref:(20.12)], and [Ref:(20.13.1)]

Buzz Killington wrote:
EBudman wrote:

Jer,

Next time... come looking for a trailer that has Mazda & Spec Miata on the back door.  We didn't have the Miata or drive like an Asshat, but I had a stock clutch kit that you could have had for pennies on the dollar....

Eric

this gives me an idea.  a parts swapper board.  need a part?  write it on the board.  have a part listed on the board?  be a good guy and go help 'em out.

I was just about to post this suggestion when I read yours    great idea    post it next to the hourly updates      also , posting the hourlys  at a few different places around the track would save people the time of walking clear to the front to check position etc while they are trying to get thier heap fixed and back in the race

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

106 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-10-06 06:57 AM)

Yea, that's pretty much the standard for all racing series other than NAPCAR when they throw full course yellows for hot dog wrappers...
And yea, maybe we could post the results somewhere besides the side of a tent blowing in the wind!!! They were very hard to read. Usually during the LD's, you would get the hourly passed out along the pitlane. But with 130 cars, it's three pages and we don't have room for that many cars in the pitlane. Remind me for next year and we'll put up some plywood in the tech shed for the results.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

SCCA rules are a bit different than NASA (not as strict):

6.11.2. Meaning of Each Flag
B. YELLOW FLAG (Solid Yellow)
STANDING YELLOW -- Take care, Danger, Slow Down, NO PASSING
FROM THE FLAG until past emergency area.

WAVED -- Great Danger, Slow Down, be prepared to stop -- NO
PASSING FROM THE FLAG until past emergency area.

It doesn't make any sense to pass before the incident - that's just common sense. So Evergreen Dan, I hope you got black flagged for passing before the incident - that's just stupid.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I think one of these two teams needs to come to the next race as Team Mistaken Identity.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/j … -800px.jpg

I think the resemblance is more coincidence.   I wonder if these guys were in it together as part of a diabolical plan to confuse the corner workers,and judges and deflect penalties and continue driving badly............   if that was the case    it worked     at least for awhile     I was in the penalty box while all this bad driving and penalizing was going on        the gig was up when they BOTH came in for penalties within 5 minutes of each other and we realized the similarity of the cars                       but  nice try

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Bryan KF8G wrote:

Yea, that's pretty much the standard for all racing series other than NAPCAR when they throw full course yellows for hot dog wrappers...
And yea, maybe we could post the results somewhere besides the side of a tent blowing in the wind!!! They were very hard to read. Usually during the LD's, you would get the hourly passed out along the pitlane. But with 130 cars, it's three pages and we don't have room for that many cars in the pitlane. Remind me for next year and we'll put up some plywood in the tech shed for the results.

Hopefully by next year we will have this figured out and will be able to distribute it electronically smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

OK, I'll take all your criticism for being a racing noob. On the other hand, this clearly ain't SCCA or NASA, I'm not a member of either, I've never read their rules, and this is a series where $50 buys a license.

The SCCA rules quoted say nothing about SEEING the non-yellow flag station, and SEEING (not PASSING) the non-yellow flag station is what was in the meeting.

It's not a distinction that's obvious from watching TV. I carefully followed the instructions given during the driver's meeting. This is my first race with local yellows (Stafford was all-or-none).  It seemed that the other drivers around me did the same. Honest mistake.

Of course, I never put the spun/off-track car in any danger. That part is common sense.

There's nothing about yellow flags (either way) in the Lemons written rules.

This was my first Lemons race so, I can't comment on flagging at other events, perhaps at the ovals it isn't an issue??

I think what the thread is showing is that more information needs to be provided on Flags in the rules/reqs.

Thanks for the corner-worker perspective, Wave-it.  What you said makes sense.  You must be fair and impartial, and focusing on the cars with the most potential for problems is exactly what you should do.  It's the same thing WE do as drivers!  After driving with them for a while, you learn who's predictable, who's squirrelly, who's fast, who's not, who takes wide lines, who doesn't...

Again, thanks for flagging our crappy race!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

MurileeMartin wrote:

I think one of these two teams needs to come to the next race as Team Mistaken Identity.

Seriously, who draws a "4" like that?  (How did that even pass tech?  The "4" isn't surrounded by white as it should be.)

They should be Team Mistaken Identity and Team Identity Mistaken.  Numbers 89 and 98.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Another vote for making NL a permanent part of the schedule.   I came in from every shift hooting about how much fun the track is to drive.

We had a freaking blast - the track layout is awesome, the door to door racing was tight and there really was enough room.  I enjoyed the track everytime on the track...

I hope its on the sched for 2010.. smile

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

116 (edited by flagger 2009-10-06 10:24 AM)

Please do not overlook the fact that the promoter/sanctioning body sets the flag standards for the event. The changes may not have been relayed to the workers.
In 2009, some of the flag group at Nelson have worked with the flag standards including, ALMS(modified FIA), IRL, SCCA, NASA, WERA, AMA, SVRA and NASCAR.
All are a bit different.
The best solution is to use a Lemons modified flag standard for road courses.
The single yellow all around is from ovals. The concept that a driver cannot understand the difference between a single and double yellow has led to NASCAR using a single yellow for course yellow and blue for a local yellow?

Calls to control regarding contact, cars off, etc are supposed to be Numbers ,Colors and car location. We DO NOT call anyone by name. Although we may know the driver they are to be treated as if we do not.  I think if they knew it was me they would have found something.....
The most important thing is numbers which can be read. We attempt to provide eyes and ears for race control without passing judgement. Just the facts no opinion. Its not a perfect system but works pretty well. There are times when calls get delayed to check numbers the next time around in an effort to make sure you have the correct cars.

A follow up suggestion for Lemons flags, would be the following,
Yellow- local yellow-NO PASSING until past the next station ( as you may not know that there could be two cars off). FIA requires a following green at the next clear station.
Double Yellow- full course yellow NO PASSING ANYWHERE.
Blue Flag - this is a tough one, CHECK YOUR MIRRORS ( nothing more). I appreciated the blue flags I saw BECAUSE we were not so fast. Many cars can close very quickly. it does not mean move over, slow down or anything else. It means you have cause to check your mirrors.
White Flag- SLOW MOVING VEHICLE, Probably a wrecker or safety truck.( One does not need to follow the wrecker, go around in control).
Black- Penalty Box
Red- Come to a stop in control on the right side of the track and await instructions.
The corner flag sets are equipped to handle all of these.

We normally use Stationary light for local yellow and flashing for course. At Lemons the flashing was for incident on or close to course(as described at the meeting)

If everyone understand this going in it does make it easier.

Its tough for me to be critical of the flaggers but then I am one.
They are not perfect and they are VOLUNTEERS. We cannot cut their pay.

I can say with high level of certainty that the corner workers saw cars in places on track that they never have before. Like 3 wide in Oak Tree, 4 wide exiting 13, 3 wide in the carosel.
I have worked every corner at Nelson over 15 years and never have seen some of the situations I was driving in............................

In terms of safety, did anyone notice how many cars were in tires and continued?

All in all, We had a BLAST and hope to be favored with a Lemons race at Nelson next year.

That's my $.02

Here's another vote for a return to Nelson next year.  It had been at least 10 years since I had last been at NL (crewing at a SCCA driver's school that time), and even though the only two laps I got to run this year were in Friday night practice, bedding in a new set of pads, the track seems to be better than I remember it from 10 years ago.  The weather was not so bad for Ohio in October (not as bad as the typical Great Pumpkin, that's for sure!), and the paddock atmosphere was great.

Even though I never got on the track for the race, I still want to say thanks to the flaggers--without you guys we wouldn't have a race at all.

Enjoy every sandwich.

Kick Uranus Racing here.. had the black Saturd #55... (you didn't see us on the track very long)

While in line for Tech inspection Jay came around told us we needed an additional bracket on the head of the seat. I ran up to Bryan & Scott asking who could help us, they sent us to Rick who works at the track and snapped on a new bracket in minutes and we were back in line. Now if only that was our biggest issue over the weekend. Starting the race we had a rod knocking 1 hour into it. We almost gave up, but one of our team cheerleaders was dead set that we would finish and found us an engine on craigs list 63 miles away. So we ran back over to Rick with Nelson and asked if we could use his engine hoist. Not only did he have no issues with it, he helped pull out the engine and help put the new one in. By 9pm we were back out on the track. An hour after that I lost a tire (which we found the next day 50 foot over the tire wall). Got back out on the track after replacing brakes & studs, and about 4am engine #2 starting failing. We decided our luck had run out at the point. We were sooooo impressed by everyone at the track! Scott, Bryan, Kerrie, all of you were so great before the race and during, and we greatly appreciate all of your help. We are determined to be there next year to be on the track more than 3 hours, and so I can do more than 1 lap in the race.  We did 110 laps which was twice our car #55, so next year we might change our car number to 444, so we'll get 888 laps in....

Will definatly see everyone next year!!!!!

hey Scott;

I am familiar with the rules, and I erred on the side of caution for the instance I pointed out. I was more concerned about the Carousel situation due to the 3 stations prior showing no indication of a vehicle off the inside of the track. Considering the sheer amount of traffic on the track and the tight staffing situation on-hand out in that area, I must say that the corner workers did an INCREDIBLE job keeping us sods in-line. I loved seeing some of them Chime in here and I don't want to put you off for having us again next year. I Absolutely loved the track, and everyone on and around the facilities were stellar in my Opinion.

Just to re-emphasize, I would not hesitate to come again if you'll have us.

Thanks!!!

Bryan, you were not kidding about how good your wrecker crew was.  I thought they were very expediant about getting cars off the track.  Also I liked how the yellow flag chases the wrecker to avoid full course yellows. 

Is there anyway that crew can go to all of the Lemons events? 

-Scott

Scott Barton

It does really suck to get passed by a wrecker while you are at WOT racing your little heart out... look over beside you and see a guy smiling at you from the wrecker smile

not that that happened to me

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

Bill Strong wrote:

It does really suck to get passed by a wrecker while you are at WOT racing your little heart out... look over beside you and see a guy smiling at you from the wrecker smile

not that that happened to me

That is great!

I also like the idea of putting transponders on the safety vehicles. We were all quite certain that they would not be in last place.

flagger wrote:

I can say with high level of certainty that the corner workers saw cars in places on track that they never have before. Like 3 wide in Oak Tree, 4 wide exiting 13, 3 wide in the carosel.
I have worked every corner at Nelson over 15 years and never have seen some of the situations I was driving in............................

I have to agree. We all discussed places where passing was a no-no. Within 3 laps on Friday I violated all of them.

In my race car (no, not the crap car) I would probably $hit myself going outside of the kink 2 wide while lining up another pass prior to the hump and another going into 12...

From outside it looked like complete and utter chaos but I found it serenely peaceful and relaxing from the driver's seat. I found extended periods of time to sing to my crew and crack jokes all while making passes that I would never have considered if not presented with the opportunity that lay in front of me at the time. cool

The biggest 'fear factor' with passing in the kink was hoping they saw you coming, and hoping the slower cars that didn't 'need' the race line didn't force the car to take the race line.....  I refrained for a while until the wall of cones vanished.  That made it just a touch easier ;-)

It was great after the wall of cones was gone, slower cars were taking the inner corner and the faster cars the outer edge. I was able to take that kink flat out at WOT hitting 5200rpm in 5th (no clue as to MPH as I forgot to hook it up). I did that once or twice, but had this thought of having to go to work and support my 4 kids and wife... the rear of the MR2 was just so pucker factor stuck that at any moment it could come unglued... and I really did not want to find that limit. But damn was it fun.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong