Topic: Can we talk about why you idiots chose the Porsche for the Curse?

Seriously, that car -- the Dragon 944 -- spent most of the day on blocks getting a new head gasket and was in 107th place when it got the curse. From all accounts the guys driving it were very clean and as far as I can remember wracked up one, maybe two, black flags.

I even had one guy's 4-year-old daughter walk up to me and tell me she hates me. I had to sit the poor thing down and explain that it's Democracy she hates, not Judges.

Point being, mob rule has totally failed.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Can we talk about why you idiots chose the Porsche for the Curse?

Can't the judges make a bench ruling and through out the verdict in favor of another?

Judge Jonny wrote:

Seriously, that car -- the Dragon 944 -- spent most of the day on blocks getting a new head gasket and was in 107th place when it got the curse. From all accounts the guys driving it were very clean and as far as I can remember wracked up one, maybe two, black flags.

I even had one guy's 4-year-old daughter walk up to me and tell me she hates me. I had to sit the poor thing down and explain that it's Democracy she hates, not Judges.

WOW, that is pretty shitty.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

4 (edited by Troy 2009-10-05 12:05 PM)

That's why the American Democracy has an Electoral college.

The Mob is not always so bright.

I thought Kershaw was a good example.

The Curse if for Bad Driving!

Maybe teams that curse a "supposed cheater" should be trailered for violation of rule 2.4.

2.4: Whiner Eligibility. Whiners are not eligible to compete. If you believe that you might be a whiner, please check with a domestic partner, guardian, or health-care professional before getting the rest of your team kicked the hell out of the race.

Of course that would throw out most of the competitors and induce Mega-Whining.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Democracy, hell.  Jay shoulda' pulled the dictator card out of his wallet and removed the sentence.

Do you ever publish the vote count for the curse?

John

jad3675 wrote:

Democracy, hell.  Jay shoulda' pulled the dictator card out of his wallet and removed the sentence.

John

No, never.

Secret ballot, yo.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
jad3675 wrote:

John

No, never.

Secret ballot, yo.

Too bad - I was thinking more of a general pie chart showing the breakdown, not actually team votes.

John

We were under our car for several hours leading up to the voting deadline, so we never voted.  We did view the curse and when the judges asked why the Porsche was chosen, the mob didn't even have an answer.  I heard one person say "it was too clean" and the judges said that was a lame reason.  At the time I had no idea they were on blocks most of the race, but now that I know, I agree that Jay should have put a stop to it.  We spoke to the team Thursday night when we arrived and they were nice guys who certainly didn't act like asshats.  If they were rarely on the track and weren't jerks, why punish them for having a great looking car?  It was obvious that they spent a lot of time on the paintjob and theme and I thought it was very cool looking.  The few times I saw them on track, they were driving slowly but predictably.

I now feel even worse for them than I did when they got the curse.  Hopefully the motor wasn't a complete loss.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Judge Jonny wrote:

That's not even right. 107th place and they got the Curse? WTF is that?

The Curse is for jackasses, IMO.

I totally agree. I was dumbfounded when I heard they got the curse. My vote would have been for the dumbest drivers or an obvious cheater that was totally spanking the field. Not some poor schmuck who spent most of the start of the race trying to get on the track at all. Plus try to find a cheap Porsche motor to get the car back together. If you need a new motor, I'll get you in touch with John Zeman of A Part Above to get it running again. You guys got hosed!!!

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

I begged for them to not blow it up but to no avail.

I thought it was kinda weak too.

Made me sad. 

somewhat related: I have a 944 running longblock I'd sell cheap tongue

We tried to vote, but due to engine failure, were too late with our ballot. The dragon car was not even on our curse radar. We wanted the white GM Caprice/whatever that tried to remove our driver's mirror!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

I cannot speak for other teams, but we did not vote for the Porsche. We were too busy watching our car run to notice that they were not making laps. That being said, the car was exceptionally clean looking from the outside, and the engine compartment made some very interesting noises when it was running. I feel the curse was chosen because the car's apperance (clean Porsche) and sound made it out to be worth well over the $500 limit.

Don't forget, we are in eastern Ohio/western Pa where any car that has seen a winter road turns into swiss cheese eventually, and any car that sits outside for any length of time becomes one with it's resting place in short order.  Any car that is remotely inspectable in PA and still runs is well over a $500 car, and most running non-inspectable cars sell into ohio at over $500.

14 (edited by davisriley 2009-10-05 12:27 PM)

We were parked next to them, I know some of the team personally, and spent a lot of time with them.  I cannot believe theirs was the car to get it, especially after all the hell they went through to get the car back on track.  Not only did they have the headgasket problem, but they spent most of the morning before the headgasket let loose chasing a thermostat issue, so I can't imagine they were on track much at all.   I watched them try and help everyone in the paddock they could, and when I saw them drive, they seemed very clean.  Just a bad deal overall.  And I know for a fact that the car was under $500.  I have pictures of what that car looked like before they started, and it was a turd.  They put a lot of work painting it(with a house roller!), and get kicked in the junk because people think it must have been to expensive.  Only thing I didn't like all weekend.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I asked our team who they thought should get the curse.  The new to Lemons folks suggested the car in first place or the Dragon 944.  I had to explain that the curse was intended for poor conduct.  In the end I elected to not turn in our ballot.  I made a mistake.  Should have circled "No One Deserves It This Time" and turned it in.

Not all who wander are lost.

Yeah, that Curse was some bullshit!

When we arrived on Friday morning, I had several guys sidle up to me and whisper conspiratorially about "that cheating Porsche." I figured, hey, maybe they know the guys at the shop that built the engine or something, but it turned out that they assumed the car was cheating because it's a Porsche. Sheeeee-it! 500-buck running 944s are even easier to find than 500-buck running Civics!

Which reminds me: what kind of schmuckola thinks that you can't buy a running Jaguar XJS for $500? Stop your moronic "obvious cheater" gibberish about the Pendejo Racing Jag and take a look at the real world of car prices.

That was a good looking car and they did not cause any trouble on the track. My team did not get to vote because we had too many mechanical issues, but if we did it would NOT have been for the Porsche. The vote wouldve been a hard choice, for such a fast track with a TON of cars on it I thought everyone was doing a very good job and was racing very clean.

18 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-10-05 12:35 PM)

i'll point out that simply b/c you didn't get a black flag doesn't mean you're driving well or cleanly.  you could be driving way over the limit but simply be the beneficiary of competitors who know how to avoid being victimized.

second, just b/c you didn't see a car driving badly doesn't mean they weren't, and vice versa.  i didn't notice the "cone of shame" dodge doing anything bad during my stint, but there you go.  on the other hand, i did notice some repeated d-baggery by some supposedly "clean-driving" teams.  *shrug*

that said, we didn't vote either.  we were too busy focusing on our own race and then fixing the car to worry about picking someone out of a field of overall not-horribly driven cars.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

We did not vote for the porche, but did wonder several times during the day why it sounded like it had a supercharger on it...... but that was the end of it, never caused us a problem.  We were considering voting for the white caprice as well, but went with the karma vote in the end.

The Mazdareti team didn't vote, either, but considered the #28.  Ultimately, no one really stood out as being THAT terrible with the spec not being eligible.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I know that Free Candy Racing and Shantytown Racing did not vote for them, we had two other targets in mind; one based on personalities and getting mad at the sherriff of shantytown and pedobear, the other due to their car being a $2500 car.  I'm not 100% that either of our teams put our ballots in though.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

Suggestion for the Supreme court.

Consider "abstain" to be "no one deserves the curse" as if people don't see any issues, they won't put forth the effort to wade from the back 40 all the way to the pits.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

We didn't vote; like others, we were too busy trying (and, sadly, ultimately failing) to do an engine swap to even think about the Curse until about 15 minutes til midnight.

I had seen them doing the head gasket earlier in the day and I was stunned that they were getting the Curse, as there was exactly zero chance of them winning the race, which seems to be a primary criteria these days for the Curse. Demented and sad, but a reason.

My bet is that they didn't get many votes, but they were concentrated in a field when a lot of teams forgot to vote.

I would note that making a vote count public does not invalidate the secrecy of the balloting. Only if you make known the identity of who cast which votes is the secrecy of the balloting invalidated.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

we didn't vote for the curse, due to our epic bearing issues with the van. if the porsche was legit, that's truly unfortunate. the car looked awesome, and due to our own issues, we didn't see much of it at all.

NDGeist wrote:

Suggestion for the Supreme court.

Consider "abstain" to be "no one deserves the curse" as if people don't see any issues, they won't put forth the effort to wade from the back 40 all the way to the pits.

I like this idea!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584