Re: Can we talk about why you idiots chose the Porsche for the Curse?

I stand corrected.  But, the fact remains... Jay had many options before him of how to execute the curse.  He chose among the lesser of many evils, yet still one that didn't put him on the hook as he did a Lemons South.

Well played.

I'd still like to see "no vote submitted" count as "a vote for nobody".  Would solve a lot of issues.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

ninetyfourintegra wrote:

But then to hear NL described as Balls, Dong and Taint 20min later by one of the clearly better looking attendees, well that was enough for me to go to sleep with a smile.

Balls, Dong and Taint would be an EPIC team name.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

xsboost90 wrote:

we even made dragon cookies to hand out to everyone- im sure you saw them at the tables in the tents and around the paddock. Next time- if there is on- i'll be sure to loosen the balance belt and put a lock on the oil cap.

Props for the cookies.  I had two.  I hadn't even seen the Draggin til the PC. I watched the sludge/hot taffy drain and just shook my head.  Team Barbie Must Win did not vote for your car. I have more to say...it's in Word format right now, tho. 

Anyway, before you think someone is cheating with forced induction, stroll over and check out the motor if they are off-track...

Same thing with nice paint and body work (not a lot of cost, but a ton of time if done yourself).  We sanded our car, then wiped it down with tack cloth, bought a quart of NAPA pink and sprayed it with an 80$ gun in a booth.  Only the team members painted the car - no pros. We could have easily fixed the huge rust hole on the top of the right fender along the hood, but were worried the car would look too nice - same with the rocker/quarter area fore of the RR wheelhousing - we covered the gaping rust hole with flashing and drilled like 20 self-tappers in there before spraying it.

Alex April
#10 Barbie Must Win - 1983 635CSi ('09 Lamest Day @ Nelson Ledges)

Loren wrote:

I stand corrected.  But, the fact remains... Jay had many options before him of how to execute the curse.  He chose among the lesser of many evils, yet still one that didn't put him on the hook as he did a Lemons South.

Well played.

I'd still like to see "no vote submitted" count as "a vote for nobody".  Would solve a lot of issues.

No, you're still wrong.

We decided on the C4C death before the race even started.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Yup I rememer them talking about how "something from recent events" was going to be part of the curse and this was on Firday.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Judge Jonny wrote:

No, you're still wrong.

I try to stick with my strengths.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

the Clunker Juice actually came from my Brother over on the #42 vic Team. He brought a GALLON of the stuff, premixed too. I think he said you're only supposed to use a quart or so?

It was a pretty funny story. I don't remember if it was you Jonny or Phil that was oogling and resisting the pure evil, but Jay jumped at the chance to have some to use.

All things considered, we both were pretty bummed it didn't get pumped into a truly deserving cheater, but the huge advantage is you're only down a motor instead of back to square-one. the freaking cage costs more than a whole new Lemons car on 90% of these rust buckets. you're either a steelworks god with your own welder or you're hella cheating if the cage cost less than the car.

A pre-bent, ready-to-install cage costs under $600. And I daresay the overwhelming majority of Lemons teams have, at a bare minimum, access to a good welder.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Loren wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

No, you're still wrong.

I really need to make it over to Tampa one of these days and have a couple beers with this guy. big_smile

Serj wrote:

the Clunker Juice actually came from my Brother over on the #42 vic Team. He brought a GALLON of the stuff, premixed too. I think he said you're only supposed to use a quart or so?

It was a pretty funny story. I don't remember if it was you Jonny or Phil that was oogling and resisting the pure evil, but Jay jumped at the chance to have some to use.

All things considered, we both were pretty bummed it didn't get pumped into a truly deserving cheater, but the huge advantage is you're only down a motor instead of back to square-one. the freaking cage costs more than a whole new Lemons car on 90% of these rust buckets. you're either a steelworks god with your own welder or you're hella cheating if the cage cost less than the car.

diddo.
sorry guys but know this it was NOT a "team effort" to contribute the c4c juice it was strickly my own and with approval from my boss at work it was given to me for free as my boss and few other coworkers just started rolling with laughter hearing about some of the lesser (if u want to call them that) penalties (i.e. cone of shame (we got it), tires on the roof, stencils spray painted on, or mime ur crime) so i told them my thought on it for an idea i had for the juice and it was just handed over from my boss i was hoping to get it on video but seein as i rarely saw the car on track i would prefer not to have such video especially being our team submitted the curse vote at the last minute and it wasnt even your team we voted for.

when we rolled through bs tech i told phil (murilee i believe) i had a special item for penalties if you so chose to use it. he straigh up said no that is absolutely way too tempting even just seeing it is just begs to played with.
later friday i was hangin out by the pits and both judges walked by and just openly offered that if anyone on Lemons staff team dreams something up just swing by our pit and it yours.... judge jonny and murilee were still quite hesitant to it and judge jonny just said that it best to take it up with jay so i approached jay during wat free seconds he had and told him what the deal was and his reaction was like a toddler in caddy store that had mc'ds super play-place.

thats pretty much the end of the story there but like several have said before hand the dealing of the curse surely could have been way beyound a seized motor. then again i havent gone through my toolbox that i loned out to another team for the better part of 4 hours i prolly eventually should check that thing out even though it was a bit scattered brained when i loaned it out.

please dont blame the team as they had no involvement in what i submitted to the Lemons rulers personally i personlly prefer the competition to be out on the track having fun but for some it just as entertaining to do an overhaull in the paddock as it was to tear up the track or infield/grass depending on how out of control you went into a corner.

ronman wrote:
Loren wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

No, you're still wrong.

I really need to make it over to Tampa one of these days and have a couple beers with this guy. big_smile

I second that motion.

Maybe in 2011-ish

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

312 (edited by ronman 2009-10-11 09:22 PM)

A 2011 Sebring race would be pretty epic, largely due to the relative proximity to Ybor City and its excellent beers, excellent cigars, and excellent selection of loose women.

ronman wrote:

A 2011 Sebring race would be pretty epic, largely due to the relative proximity to Ybor City and its excellent beers, excellent cigars, and excellent selection of loose women.

Don't hold your breath

I don't realistically think I could hold it that long, anyway... I merely assumed you Judges would approve of booze, cigars rolled *by* authentic Cubans, and, ahem, loose slots. wink

315 (edited by Serj 2009-10-11 09:59 PM)

oh... OH, see, when he said 2011 Sebring, I was thinking "hell, i don't think Chrysler's gonna be making those shitcans past 2010"

i wonder how high I'd fly on the curse radar if i showed up with a 2.4L 2008 Sebring tongue

Heh, by next year an '08 Sebring will probably realistically be worth $500... what freaking piles!

Serj wrote:

i wonder how high I'd fly on the curse radar if i showed up with a 2.4L 2008 Sebring tongue

In more ways than one, you'd be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage

Judge Jonny wrote:

In more ways than one, you'd be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage

"If you can find a better crapcan, buy it!"

http://www.simonsays.com/assets/authorkey/39726234/C_39726234.jpg

ronman wrote:

Hey, I just had a beer with Loren a few weeks ago, in a pub in Ybor city.  No cigars, though.  Didn't realize it was such a coveted event or I would have, at least, worn clean underwear.

If I could go off topic for a minute (actually, it has been a long time since this thread has been on topic) - We really all did get together.  There were about 15 drivers and/or spouses from 4 different Lemons teams there.  There would have been more, but a 5th team couldn’t make it.  We are getting ready to throw down a Lemons challenge to the other Tampa teams to see which team has the best drivers on the go cart track.

Lemons isn’t just racing, we are building some pretty good friendships.  Even among different teams.

320 (edited by bongle 2009-10-12 05:37 AM)

FJ40Jim wrote:
bongle wrote:
Boomer wrote:

We voted for the Civic that put us off the track at about 4:pm.

As someone who organized for two civic teams, I'm curious: which civic was that?

If it was #571 (gray with black squares running along the side), I'm sorry, because I would have been driving at the time.

Watch this video for 2 noteworthy events.
1. the "cheater" 944 being passed by a VW GTI.

2. Our car being punted off at 12:40 by the 571 car.  We got time in the penalty box, they didn't.

We voted for 571 because their "oops" put us in penalty, though it wasn't that bad. Overall the race was cleaner than a spec Piniata race.

Finally got my hands on our video.  I'm not sure it exonerates us in any way, but it is rare you get to see an incident from both cars involved:

View from Focke Ewe
View from 571

Also, not in the segment I picked out, but in lots of the shift we recorded you can hear the Dragon Porsche whining away nearby.  I don't blame people for thinking it was a S/C, except that the thing was not fast at all.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

bongle wrote:

I don't blame people for thinking it was a S/C, except that the thing was not fast at all.

Not to keep beating this dead horse, but for the people who did vote for the the Dragon because you thought it had a S/C......don't you think the judges would kinda notice that?  I'm mean it's not that easy to hide one.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
bongle wrote:

I don't blame people for thinking it was a S/C, except that the thing was not fast at all.

Not to keep beating this dead horse, but for the people who did vote for the the Dragon because you thought it had a S/C......don't you think the judges would kinda notice that?  I'm mean it's not that easy to hide one.

That goes back to the "curse to punish cheaters vs. curse to punish jackasses" debate though.  Even if you thought the judges noticed it, if you felt it was your duty to punish cheaters, then you might still vote for the porsche.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Let's not forget that the judges do accept bribes...they did a jalopnik article on the K20 Accord at CMP and flat out said that their 77 laps saved them from the curse.  If the thought is that the curse isn't for cheating, why do the judges think they're saving people from the curse by assigning laps?

Since the BS laps are part of a complex formula understood only partially by the judges themselves, I can't really comment on ways to change it.  Although it would be nice to think that the bribes only offset stuff like being a member of that car's club or things that would give the perception of cheating rather than outright cheating that is discovered during the inspection.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Serj wrote:

you're either a steelworks god with your own welder or you're hella cheating if the cage cost less than the car.

Jegs my friend... Jegs

David Hawkins wrote:

Since the BS laps are part of a complex formula understood only partially by the judges themselves,

I think you give them too much credit. Think of it as mentalling throwing a dart. They give random numbers based on parts, car, theme, drivers, attitude and a few other things. No REAL science to it.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

ronman wrote:

A pre-bent, ready-to-install cage costs under $600. And I daresay the overwhelming majority of Lemons teams have, at a bare minimum, access to a good welder.

Our Autopower cage, off the shelf, ran closer to $900 with shipping.  And we shopped around..

(Our resident welder is learning how to weld on our Lemons car, so we obviously weren't going to give him a cage for his first project..)

bs