Re: Can we talk about why you idiots chose the Porsche for the Curse?

I know that neither #571 or #39 bothered casting votes;  We didn't really see anyone that was a constant menace on track, or even anyone that seemed to have a very cheaty car.

Since the votes were counted when 39 was still the highest-placed car that earned BS laps, their drivers were terrified that it was going to be them, but we never expected it to be the dragon Porsche.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Jeff G 78 wrote:
NDGeist wrote:

Suggestion for the Supreme court.

Consider "abstain" to be "no one deserves the curse" as if people don't see any issues, they won't put forth the effort to wade from the back 40 all the way to the pits.

I like this idea!

agreed.  a "no vote" should count as a vote for "no curse."

if someone really deserves it, people will make time to vote for 'em.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

28 (edited by souseless 2009-10-05 01:06 PM)

I was suprised too. As said most of the first hours of the race were spent up on stands. I never came across them on track so I have no idea about the driving. The car didn't look all that fast when I watched it from the tower by 12. They were not on our radar for the curse. We turned in a no curse ballot. I'm not sure if these are regarded as a non vote or if the option is treated as a car so 20 votes for no curse and 19 votes for a car means no curse.

The car did go back out on track after the curse. I was on track from 1am until 4am. When I saw the car I radioed back to our pit to let them know the car was out there much like snoopy, lada and caddy spottings. 2 turns later the engine blew a few cars in front of me and I was engulfed in a thick cloud of smoke through the carousel. A scary experience for a noob. So whoever was wondering the engine did not survive

29 (edited by SamGrant951 2009-10-05 12:57 PM)

Team member here for Dragon Somethin' #44.

We were totally bummed by the outcome and our car was truly under $500. We bought it for $250. We spent a lot of time on the theme/prep and paint as it was our first Lemons race. The "sound" coming from the car was the balance shaft belt...they whine when they are a bit tight. My 951 in the garage makes the same noise.

After we replaced the head gasket the car was running great and we were focused on just finishing the race so to have it killed at midnight after working on it for 4 hours just sucked.

We have already found a few motors, prob pick one up in the next week or so. Motor will be out shortly. At least it wasnt crushed, it will breathe again!

We had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people in the paddock, many donated oil to get us back out and do 1 final lap before she seized up. Thanks!

terrh - where are you located and how much?

#044 Spec 944 - NASA Midwest
86 951

30 (edited by xsboost90 2009-10-05 01:02 PM)

as the owner and builder of the Dragon car i can tell you it was not a cheater. The car was in such sad shape when i got it, i thought about getting a different car for Lemons, but we just soldiered on and said if it breaks it breaks. Most the time was spent on safety preparation and my "too nice" roller job and theme stuff. The "supercharger" most of you heard was one of our balance shaft pulleys getting ready to go out that we didnt have time or money to replace. I really thought we would not get the curse after everyones enthusiasm for the car. THat being said, we have a line on several "cheap" long blocks that people have in the porsche community and the car will be back up and running soon. Not sure we are convinced to ever to a Lemons race again after this though, maybe chump car. Ive been reading about this Lemons thing since 03 and just this year was able to even think about doing it, just to have our time, money and energy wasted and we ran a total of 7 hours of a 24 hour race. With six drivers that wasnt worth the money for any of us.

When i WAS out there on the track-at night- i did see some pretty fast guys out there and had alot of fun. If you had the red 240 or the white Beemer you saw me in front of you or right behind you for much of two hours. I think i may also have some of your tire on my quarter panel. smile

Team Captain: Dragon Somethin' #44 - aka- "peoples curse"
http://xsboost90.wordpress.com/

31 (edited by RobL 2009-10-05 01:06 PM)

Buzz Killington wrote:

on the other hand, i did notice some repeated d-baggery by some supposedly "clean-driving" teams.  *shrug*

You said you weren't going to rat me out... 

Ill advised pass and I hit a bump in the brake zone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xz6AS0PKi4

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

It did suck.  Maybe the curse should go to a "majority" rather than just "most votes?"  Or some other vote percentage threshold?  If someone deserves it due to asshole driving, they'll definitely get a lot more votes than someone with a car that's "too nice."

Someone even asked us how we got a "rust free" CRX.  I showed them the body close up and they said "oh, you painted it!"  Yep, paint - even water based enamel - will do a lot to hide rust and nastiness.  Our car was really freakin' far from rust free.

I did vote, but it wasn't based on perceived cheating.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Jonny, i have a suggestion.  why not provide some guidance for the voters?  maybe a board showing the black flag tally for various teams.  that would at least let us know who the asshats are.

RobL wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

on the other hand, i did notice some repeated d-baggery by some supposedly "clean-driving" teams.  *shrug*

You said you weren't going to rat me out...

lol.

12+-time loser

xsboost90 wrote:

we ran a total of 7 hours of a 24 hour race. With six drivers that wasnt worth the money for any of us.

It does suck that you got the curse, I don't think you deserved it.  But 7 hours on track is still a pretty dang good deal at what you end up with in a Lemons race.  We only got 2-3 hours and I still think it was worth it.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

Jay, you should make these guys residual value negative 400 for next event.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

NDGeist wrote:

Jay, you should make these guys residual value negative 400 for next event.

+1

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Seeing all these non-cheating clean drivers having their cars crushed really wants to make me reconsider building another Lemons car.   Do we really need the curse to have an enjoyable race?

bob-e wrote:

Seeing all these non-cheating clean drivers having their cars crushed really wants to make me reconsider building another Lemons car.   Do we really need the curse to have an enjoyable race?

The problem is that there *are* some teams at some races that deserve it.  And if there isn't a threat of destruction, then you will see a lot more asshats and cheater cars on track. 

If voting choice can be made easier by giving the voters more information.  I'd like to see current penalty count (and why) and number of laps given posted.  A car with a lot of penalty laps and car contact would get my vote.  Cars with no laps and only a couple of flags for offs would not. 

Maybe drivers who get two black flags get tossed.  When that team is down to 2 drivers left, they get trailered.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

If common sense and intelligence ruled in democracy.....THEN OBAMA WOULDN'T BE PRESIDENT!!!!

Sounds like they didn't deserve it, but that's life.

Judge Jonny wrote:

Seriously, that car -- the Dragon 944 -- spent most of the day on blocks getting a new head gasket and was in 107th place when it got the curse. From all accounts the guys driving it were very clean and as far as I can remember wracked up one, maybe two, black flags.

I even had one guy's 4-year-old daughter walk up to me and tell me she hates me. I had to sit the poor thing down and explain that it's Democracy she hates, not Judges.

Point being, mob rule has totally failed.

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

davebs14 wrote:

If common sense and intelligence ruled in democracy.....THEN OBAMA WOULDN'T BE PRESIDENT!!!!

Common sense and intelligence would have prevented you from making that post.  Politics have no place in this forum.

yeah we had one black flag- Alan went off trying to avoid a wreck in front of him. Van got the punishment after the driver change though- which is why he denied having gone off- didnt find this out until later. We also had one face shield mark on our car for someones face shield not being closed all the way cuz it fogged up.

Team Captain: Dragon Somethin' #44 - aka- "peoples curse"
http://xsboost90.wordpress.com/

dculberson wrote:
davebs14 wrote:

Common sense and intelligence would have prevented you from making that post.  Politics have no place in this forum.

+1.

Not a fan of President Obama, but I'm a fan of keeping politics out of the Lemons forum.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

RobL wrote:
bob-e wrote:

The problem is that there *are* some teams at some races that deserve it.

That's what BS judging and black flag penalties are for.  Pretty much if you have the lead at the end of day one, you are about a 75% chance of getting crushed.  That sucks.

It sucks that anybody's car gets crushed, but they tell you about it right up front.  It specifically says that you should expect it to be your car.  If the thought of your car getting crushed scares you, don't come.  We got one of the expanding foam in the toolbox penalties, and it did suck.  Watching the judges have such a great time screwing up your property got a lot of people hot, but they tell you they are going to do this stuff.  You have to embrace it as part of the experience and move on....just like the Porsche team seems to be doing.

Now, about our 50 lap BS penalty........

Ken

We also didn't cast a ballot.  Sounds like 'abstain' would have won by a landslide in this case.

I did have one team member (Lemons virgin) who commented on the Dragon car along the lines of 'no way that's a $500 car!'  I explained that I had sat through BS for Kershaw Spring and heard the stories of the prices people get for used 944 parts...so it's entirely possible that it was legit even though it looked awesome (which we all know means that it costs more than $500!).

We only had 2 cars on our radar.  One had contact with us and we spun off into the penalty box.  Review of the video after the race showed that there was no clear guilty party, so I'm glad I didn't vote based on that driver's grumbles.   The other was overheard by one of our helpers saying 'we're going to vote for the white MR2 because they're doing too well'.....but we were in something like 58th place when they said this, so I think they have an odd conception of 'doing well'.

I think the curse should be a car that's blatantly obvious to at least 50% of the teams there.  Either an outright cheater, a bunch of asshole drivers or both.  This is the second race I've done where I didn't agree with the curse at all and I think that now that it's evolved into a 'let's completely destroy the car' fest that the selection criteria needs some serious review.  I also don't think that black flag count really points to poor driving all the time.  We had 3 - passing under yellow (confirmed on video to not have happened, but we took our punishment in stride), spin and continue and speeding in the pits (which was me - and I was trying to go slow...but not trying hard enough).

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

there aren't black flag penalties for being a d-bag on track.  do you really want the corner workers deciding whether you chooped someone off too closely, or that your passing move was actually a block of someone else?  i don't.  when the superkak car tracked out of a corner and forced me 2 wheels off in order to avoid contact, there is no flag for that.  but there is my curse ballot.

and BS laps only help prevent a cheater from winning; they don't do anything to prevent asshattery on track (in fact, they may encourage it as the team tries to make those laps up).

12+-time loser

Our team did vote, but definitely not for #44. Since our car was parked for the night, we were up there as a team and thought the 44 was coming in for a normal penalty. Our drivers that did see the car on track never had any issues with the drivers either.

Heck, that curse baffled me. I never noticed them, and their theme was good. I think its time to rethink the whole curse. As earlier mentioned mob rule is NOT good. How about this:

Everybody cast's their votes. Of the cars picked, Jay picks one out of the top 5 vote getters.

We didn't vote at all. There were a couple folks that annoyed me, but nothing serious. BTW, I watched a certain BMW pass like 20 cars under yellow in the closing laps (I was on the sidelines then).... that was pretty curse worthy!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

We didn't cast a ballot either, as we were busy swapping clutches & batteries.  I did ask my drivers early on to keep an eye out for drivers that they would consider for the the curse & there were no stand-outs.

That said, I'm not crying for anyone either....  There were a lot of folks that lost engines & go power way early, no more their fault than the #44 car.  Agree with this curse or not, I liked that it was only an engine & not a loss of the car.  You're free to slap another engine in & continue to race.  If a replacement engine puts you over $500 with a residual value of $0... you gotta question whether you're car abides by the spirit of the rules.  Drive like asshats & have a spare powertrain in the trailer... crush the car.

Eric

At this point just get rid of the curse. It's turned into a shitty sad, event now. Like having leather helmets or the FG post on the goal line in football......

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...