Re: Can we talk about why you idiots chose the Porsche for the Curse?

Team #121 neglected to vote as well, although that's only because I believed my retarded team mates when they said the votes were due at 10AM not 9PM due to the 24 hour format versus the 12/12 format. It's not a big deal to me as everyone drove great and there were zero dents on our car at the end.

The only car I suggested voting for was the Cosa Nostra Alfa. That car was a mockery of the rules and their bribes showed that. That car deserved the curse, the others probably not.

Either way, it appears nobody voted or everyone here lies like a rug.

CarRacer wrote:

....Either way, it appears nobody voted or everyone here lies like a rug.

There's always the chance that the folks who voted for the #44 are not forum regulars!  I never looked at the forums or really even knew they existed until a month or two ago & I know most of my drivers have never been here.  That's my only explanation for who voted & why, but it's a WAG.

Eric

We were just spectating so we didnt have a vote but it shocked us all to see the dragon go up.  It was sad, it was a car with a good, well done theme which someone actually put an effort into, unlike about 80% of the rest of the cars. 

And I'll 2nd the concept that sub $500 944s are easy to find so they shouldnt be considered cheater cars right off the bat.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

$500 944's are indeed plentiful.

This summer I paid $750 for TWO 944's - $250 for one and $500 for the other.

between them I got two motors, one is brand new, just needs to be assembled, complete with a reciept for $2000 in machining work.  Other is in good running order with 100k miles on it.

One 944 is for parts. 

The other has new beautiful red paint that was properly/well done, a mint black leather interior, nice wheels with decent tires.

When I put it together it'll easily fetch $5000-$7000 in canada - but still, I got it for $500.

NO, I'm not thinking about lemonsing it, it's far too nice.  I only bought it to flip.  But they're out it.

We definately did not vote for the dragon, when it was annouced, we were kinda questioning the vote...

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Team Lebowski did not vote either we didn't even remember seeing the car on the track.

But that being said, the rules state you should expect your car to be destroyed.  We did, even though we weren't on the track much.

I love the rule and hope it stays.

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

57 (edited by ninetyfourintegra 2009-10-05 04:13 PM)

RobL wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

on the other hand, i did notice some repeated d-baggery by some supposedly "clean-driving" teams.  *shrug*

You said you weren't going to rat me out... 

Ill advised pass and I hit a bump in the brake zone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xz6AS0PKi4

Hey that was me in the love car. Thank you for working with me on the back. I was not permitted to go 3 wide, I thought I was going to have some more room to squeeze through but the inside car had nothing on the exit and you had the run, so I gave the point and jumped in behind. I saw the off coming a good ways before it happened smile and left room for you to come all the way across the track if needed. FWIW, an hour or so later I did the same move (same bump and lock) but took the reflector with me... at least you missed that.

BTW, our team did NOT vote for the 944. I never even saw it until the curse.

58 (edited by andrew1984 2009-10-05 04:19 PM)

Hi all. My name is Andrew Cordeiro and I was one of the drivers in the red nissan 240. I had a great time racing against the Dragon. Whoever he/she was raced me very cleanly and we had a blast. One of our team members had a medical emergency and we had to withdraw from the event at around 10:30pm on Saturday. Again it was a blast to race with you and I am sorry to hear that your car was crapped on. Hopefully you guys can put something else together and come back next year!

Lookin' forward to it, Cheers.

P.S Thank you to all of the workers, officials and everyone behind the scenes who made this awesome event possible!

Team Fahrfrumwinning, Toronto, Ontario.

Actually, good point on mob rule.

How about weighting the votes by the team class. That way a team that is assumed to be in the hunt for the win, which typically means that have a clue on what goes into the vote, counts more than a good luck finishing or is a noob vote does.

Granted I am a noob Lemons driver but my team is a past winner and knew why they were voting and for whom.

ninetyfourintegra wrote:

Actually, good point on mob rule.

How about weighting the votes by the team class. That way a team that is assumed to be in the hunt for the win, which typically means that have a clue on what goes into the vote, counts more than a good luck finishing or is a noob vote does.

Funny, I would say the votes of teams in the hunt shouldn't be counted at all.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

We need to run a diesel VW sometime ya know wink

andrew1984 wrote:

Hi all. My name is Andrew Cordeiro and I was one of the drivers in the red nissan 240. I had a great time racing against the Dragon. Whoever he/she was raced me very cleanly and we had a blast. One of our team members had a medical emergency and we had to withdraw from the event at around 10:30pm on Saturday. Again it was a blast to race with you and I am sorry to hear that your car was crapped on. Hopefully you guys can put something else together and come back next year!

Lookin' forward to it, Cheers.

P.S Thank you to all of the workers, officials and everyone behind the scenes who made this awesome event possible!

Team Fahrfrumwinning, Toronto, Ontario.

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

How about a rule that if a Curse candidate gets less than, say 40 percent of the popular vote, the outcome goes to the Lemons Supreme Court, who can pick anybody they want...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

rushman wrote:

We did not vote for the porche, but did wonder several times during the day why it sounded like it had a supercharger on it...... .

That is why. Yes, mistakes were made. The vile solution should have been put in that nice, non-stock straight cut gearbox. Probably a dog box with the  C/R gear set. After 20+ years racing with these Tutonic Titwillows, many of their secrets have been pried out of them. Usually via Alcohol or sex.
Cheers thicko

My team also did not vote. We were busy (racing, not wrenching), plus we did not think anyone deserved it. These guys were pitted near us and we were happy to see them get back on track after changing a head gasket.

I agree the idea needs to be re-thunked. And the idea mentioned before (giving Jay power to choose between the top 5 vote getters) won't fly - no way he wants blood on his hands like that.

This result is a slap in the face of the B.S. judges - it's their job to even the playing field, not the mob. I always thought this award was for obvious douchebaggery on the track, or the worst cheater of the race - did these guys get any B.S. points?

yokel wrote:

My team also did not vote. We were busy (racing, not wrenching), plus we did not think anyone deserved it. These guys were pitted near us and we were happy to see them get back on track after changing a head gasket.

I agree the idea needs to be re-thunked. And the idea mentioned before (giving Jay power to choose between the top 5 vote getters) won't fly - no way he wants blood on his hands like that.

This result is a slap in the face of the B.S. judges - it's their job to even the playing field, not the mob. I always thought this award was for obvious douchebaggery on the track, or the worst cheater of the race - did these guys get any B.S. points?

Yes, they got BS laps. As did the red Alfa others are pointing out as a bad cheater. We do a pretty good job of busting teams that are cheating way beyond the amount most of you cheat. Yeah, yeah, you're all legit.

Our team also didn't vote.  No stand-outs in our view.  I considered suggesting we vote for the grey Saab that damn near punted (yeah, I said punted, your honor) me off in the carousel... I think I was solidly 3.5 wheels off, but managed to save it.  But, figured I'd let it slide.

I suggested this after Kershaw:  The curse should require 50% or more, not a mere majority.

I applaud the organizers for carrying out the curse, though.  The curse voting rules have yet to be changed, so they are what they are.  Jay caught A LOT of flack for allowing a "majority mob rule" revote at CMP, and wisely chose not to go that route again. 

The chosen curse was pretty mild, too... If a whole 924 can be found for under $500 (I know they can), then a used engine should be a couple hundred bucks.  Maybe they'll spend a couple bucks on a hammer and put some dents in the car to make it more Lemony-looking, too?  Appearances are everything.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Our team had two teams in our mind, one for on track and one for off track attitude problems.... I was completely floored that the Porsche got nailed... however I was one of those people who assumed there was a super charger making that whine....

I've seen the video for the cash for clunkers disabling on youtube (that replaces the oil with sodium silicate.)  The car sounds like its dying - only a sadist or a redneck would find enjoyment in witnessing that.   

I actually left the mob and went back to my paddock - I was literally sick to my stomach and I felt horrible for those guys. The only consolation is that they only toasted the engine...

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

I was very much baffled by that one as well.  Yes is was a VERY nice looking car, YES is was a Porshe, but the curse us supposed to be for people being jerks.  EVEN IF you want to call the car a cheater the on track results show that it sure as hell didn't work if they were cheating.  We (Team Sucker Punch) voted for no one to get cursed, the only car that gave me issues dropped out early on.  I think its time to rethink/eliminate the curse.  Maybe instead of destoying the car make the team remove and then replace the engine??  I dunno something non-lethal but would still take them out of the race and be a fun penalty!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

yes- we have located a new motor for $250 and it will run again in the next couple weeks. I agree our car "looks" pretty straight but believe me its not- the scales hide alot- the quarter is caved in, the front fender has a large dent and the passenger side is full of bondo from another wreck someone fixed themselves. Im into this Lemons racing stuff but im not going to beat up my car just to look like its worse off than it is- i'll let it get beat up on the track. The curse is what it is- i guess someone had to get it, just sucks it was us as i feel it was totally unfounded. I could understand if we were driving like assholes and were in first place and being crazy or something.

Team Captain: Dragon Somethin' #44 - aka- "peoples curse"
http://xsboost90.wordpress.com/

What about changing the rules, granting a free entry to the "winners" for the next race? Kind of a "yes, we destroyed your car, but no hard feelings, dude". Or some other way to allow non-deserving "winners" to not get too bummed. I mean, I know life isn't fair, but...

And make it retro-active for this race.

Another idea: no 'curse' unless 25% of the teams at least vote for somebody. I have a feeling that turnout was light due to the lack of popular 'candidates', not unlike my local school board elections.

All of these posts seem strangely familiar to me for some reason.
Nobody tell me!
I'll remember why in a little while... Let's see, We didn't get to go to Nelson, so it can't be anything that happened to us there... O--I give up, I can't remember...
smile

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

Van wrote:

At tech we were awarded a 20 lap penalty for being Porsche Club members.  We were able to bribe that down to only a 15 lap penalty with some booze.

Then, after we did the head gasket and I was 3 laps into my only driving stint, I was given a bogus black-flag and was told by the judges to write a two page essay on "the unfairness of the judges and the superiority of Porsche."  Which I did in good humor and read it on the PA.

You were awarded a 15-lap penalty for that super-stiff cheatanium suspension. We just gave you shit about being Porsche Club members on general principle, and because I'm still pissed about that "Ferdinand Porsche vas just followink orders" revisionist Ludvigsen book I had to review for Jalopnik right before leaving for Ohio.

As for the "bogus" black flag, it was your complaints about bogosity that earned you the essay penalty. Which I must admit you handled very well.

73 (edited by Troy 2009-10-05 08:40 PM)

Not to take a dump on everyone's head here but all you guys that did NOT vote, basically voted for the Porsche.

If everyone on here who says they did not vote would have voted for No One, it would be hard to beat that vote.

In three races, we voted for a competitor once.  I let a team mate do it.  I wrote in Jay's rental in February, voted the same or No One in June.  Unless a team really drives like a bunch of assholes, I will not vote to curse a competitor's car.  Notice I said a TEAM of bad drivers.  Don't ruin a whole teams weekend over 1 bad driver. 

Regarding cheating, I don't care if they show up with a Formula 1 car.  The Curse is for BAD DRIVERS. 

So who's bringing a Ferrari, I wouldn't mind having some of their paint on my car.  Of course a scuff of Ferrari paint would put a car over the $500 rule.  What's an old CART car worth these days?

Until you've actually built and primarily funded a $500 Crap Can, you are fairly clueless.  Plenty of teams are talking about $3500-6000 for your first race.  You can do alot within the $500 limit if you are skilled and motivated enough.  Pretty doesn't mean your cheating but it shouldn't matter anyway.

Lots of black flag doesn't necessarily indicate aggressive (asshat) driver's either.  A lot of times it's a lack of car control or inexperience.  Probably the lack of control is due to inexperience.  We were all beginner's at some point, most of us pretty recently, and we are all still learning.  The black flags are there to keep everyone in line and make the event safe, especially for beginners.  It shouldn't be a factor for the Curse.

Teams should be voting on the Curse based on their observations of on track driving.  If you didn't see anything bad, than vote for No One.  If you saw a car repeatedly doing bad things throughout the race, then Curse them.  In my opinion, a few minor infractions is a fair cry from a team of assholes worthy of the Curse.

Regarding the participants and opinions on this Forum.  With just under 1000 registered users, this forum only represents a small portion of the LeMon's community.  I'd imagine there are about 1000 cars participating in Lemons in 2009.  So I figure the forum represents around 25% of the participants or less.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We built the Chop Top Mercedes for the Fall CMP event, We didnt think much of the talk about voting for us cause we LOOKED like we were cheetin.  We all talked about the crushin thing and all felt that with as much work as it took to just get any car ready that there should be a better way than crushing a car.  We voted in that event to not have any car crushed, then we got busy and forgot to vote in the Ohio event.  I have watched this group of events grow in the last 2 years, maybe its time some of the ideas of these events grew up a little bit and leave the cruching to the "Way over the top deserves to be cruched"   We desided to not bring the ChopTop because of the cruching, it takes to much time to make a nice car that is cool and interesting.  I take pride in my work and saw a great many cars there that had hunderds if not more than a thousand hours of work in then, to cruch that doesnt feel good, and i think that it will have more people like me NOT bringing an interesting car if the "mob"s blood thurst for crushing isnt curbed .  I have never had more fun racing in ANY other car racing in my life, I think the formula is genius, I hope Jay and company ALL the sucess in the world.

Oh, I feel horrible now... because we didn't vote either...   noone stood out as asshats enough to deserve it, in our eyes, and we didn't realize that NOT voting could end up with innocents getting killed off... bummer...  more of our inexperience showing... won't happen again.

Owner: Stanford Motorsports (sounds better than it is!)
Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)
Other nonsense:  Solo Director, Cincy SCCA, Board of Directors, Cincy SCCA