Re: Can we talk about why you idiots chose the Porsche for the Curse?

I was rather shocked at the choice as well.
I have two 944's in the yard and wish I could get $500.00 for the '85.

For driving offenses they were not in my sights.

I do know that when they were running early they blew my doors off, cleanly.

Judge Jonny wrote:

Wrong. There ARE penalties for douchebag driving. We nail people all the time for driving too aggressively. Or blocking.

ok.  the fact remains that the corner workers don't and can't see everything.

but the bottom line here is that this is the system that is in place.  you guys set it up, and you guys can change it if you don't think it's working.

besides, our idiocy is well-established; we're racing $500 cars around a dark track for 24 hours.  you can't seriously be surprised that the voting occasionally reflects that lack of judgment.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Maybe take "mob rule" a step further?  Get the judges involved in the curse.  If they're not seeing ANY teams that have had enough black flag attention to warrant a curse for "crappy driving", then announce that and move on.  However, if it's a typical Lemons race where there are 5-10 cars that have seen the penalty box a dozen times each... pick the top 3 worst offenders and put them and ONLY them on the stand for the curse.

Skip ballots and formal voting altogether.  Just do an "applause meter" style voting with the crowd that gathers.  Simple.  Effective.  Lemony.  Nobody gets crushed who doesn't deserve it.

As an added bonus, it would add more excitement to the curse... especially for the two teams that got "nominated", but were pardoned by the mob!  Could even have a rep from each team come up and plead their case before the mob before the voting to make it even more entertaining.  But, in the end... one of those three cars will die.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

CarRacer wrote:

The only car I suggested voting for was the Cosa Nostra Alfa. That car was a mockery of the rules and their bribes showed that. That car deserved the curse, the others probably not.

Oh, you wound me with those false and slanderous statements, sir!

"Mockery"??  Isn't mockery an integral part of Lemons?  Did I miss something or didn't I see the BatMobile, a pink Cadillac and a Flying Chicken out on the track?  Maybe you just have some deep seated anger issues with Eye-talians?  As far as the bribes go, we were told that "judicial influence" was not only allowed at Lemons, but encouraged.... besides, we're from Chicago where bribery has become an artform.  (Hope Jay and the men in robes enjoy the cigars and single malt!)

Seriously, I probably spent a little too much time on the body mods, but the original rusty GTV6 body was just too boring... and we knew it was going to have an F40 wing when we created the Corsa Nostra theme months ago.  The paint was nothing special, Rustoleum Safety Red I hosed on just three weeks ago - (it's STILL soft!)  Lots of people commented it was "too nice"... all I could say in response was that you must have pretty low standards.  Honestly, though, I was disappointed to see nearly 80% of the teams made little or no effort putting a theme together.  That's half the fun.  Nevertheless, our faux Ferrari did seem to draw a lot of unwanted attention, where the more appropriate Lemons strategy seemed to be "stay under the radar".  Live and learn.

Our team was really tortured when it came time to vote for the Curse since there were no clear cut favorites.  We wondered how an XR4Ti could launch past 10 cars when the track went green after a full course yellow, and how a certain silver CRX ALWAYS seemed to have the right gear for every corner (close-ratio box perhaps?)  The Dragon Porsche did emit some strange sounds, reminding us of straight cut gears or some form of forced induction, but was never an issue on the track and really didn't deserve the Curse.

This was our first Lemons race and without a doubt, the MOST fun we've had racing EVER and our team has been involved in amateur road racing for over 20 years.  You couldn't chisel the smile off the driver's faces after their stints.  The venue was awesome, the BS/black flag judges were truly diabolical, the Nelson Ledges corner workers were superhuman. and you can bet we'll be back next year.

Darren
Team Corsa Nostra
http://sites.google.com/site/corsanostr … e/the-race

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

i thought your Alfa F40 was awesome.  great work on the body.

12+-time loser

+1  I loved the Alfa F40.  It sounded great and looked fast.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

+1  I loved the Alfa F40.  It sounded great and looked fast.

It more than sounded fast.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

cpmskinny wrote:

If Jay was so pissed...

Jay could care less. Me and Judge Martin are so pissed.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Buzz Killington wrote:

ok.  the fact remains that the corner workers don't and can't see everything.

but the bottom line here is that this is the system that is in place.  you guys set it up, and you guys can change it if you don't think it's working.

Oh, they see plenty, don't you worry.

And we think the system is working pretty damn well, thanks very much.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

Do you two judges get a say in the curse matter?  If not, your being pissed = all of us on this forum getting pissed.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Do you two judges get a say in the curse matter?  If not, your being pissed = all of us on this forum getting pissed.

believe it or not, the curse is determined by you guys.

Alferrari Fistillini wrote:

This was our first Lemons race and without a doubt, the MOST fun we've had racing EVER and our team has been involved in amateur road racing for over 20 years.

I loved your car, it was beautiful.  And it sounds like you guys got what was important: fun!!  I definitely didn't consider your car to be one of the unwashed themeless masses.  Hope to see you guys again next year.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

The Alfa was beautiful, so was the 944.  The fact that "beauty" draws the ire of some competitors makes me extremely worried about bringing the Wartburg back.  (I do intend to polish that turd)

Clean/pretty doesnt = cheat   

They were among the few cars with efforts in their theme and it showed.  Id rather see the curse go to teams that put no effort into it than people who are deemed cheaters because they tried.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

This was our first Lemons race and without a doubt, the MOST fun we've had racing EVER and our team has been involved in amateur road racing for over 20 years.  You couldn't chisel the smile off the driver's faces after their stints.  The venue was awesome, the BS/black flag judges were truly diabolical, the Nelson Ledges corner workers were superhuman. and you can bet we'll be back next year.

Darren
Team Corsa Nostra

Be SURE to email Jay for a residual value so you can just stroll through BS next time with no penalty laps.

Also, the Cigars were good, the super rare booze was much better

Well you can put me down as one of the folks that thinks that the mob rule peoples curse needs to go, I have been of that opinion since before the 944 got the curse. 

They were not fast
They had numerous issues that kept them off the track
They were not jerks in the pits
They had a cool theme
They drove decent

So why in the world did they deserve the curse??   A few of the other teams walked by and asked who we were going to curse and I told them that no one had done anything to me that made me want to see them get cursed and they all seemed to agree for the most part.  When the time came I asked the crew if anyone had earned our vote, no one had anything to say so we voted for no one. 

That being said, Nelson Ledges was the most fun I have ever had racing.  Beyond the curse and the mud I have NOTHING but fun stories to share with other folks.  We are already talking about next year and maybe doing more then one Lemons race.  See you then boys.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

116 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-10-06 11:02 AM)

Judge Jonny wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

And we think the system is working pretty damn well, thanks very much.

i agree, but you seem somewhat displeased by the latest results.

12+-time loser

No ballot from us due to nobody seeming to deserve it. I agree with the suggestion that 'no vote submitted' be considered equivalent to 'no curse.'
I'm glad the destruction was just the engine. As someone said, a replacement engine should be very possible at $500.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Team MRD2 didn't feel anybody deserved it and therefore abstained.  Besides we had our hands full replacing the alternator with one lent from another MR2 team.  Thanks whoever you are!!!  Somebody on the team knows who you are, just not me.

Judge Jonny wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:

If Jay was so pissed...

Can't you two claim a car then?  If not it should be an option.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Troy wrote:

Not to take a dump on everyone's head here but all you guys that did NOT vote, basically voted for the Porsche.

If everyone on here who says they did not vote would have voted for No One, it would be hard to beat that vote.

Excellent point Troy. 
Next time, those teams who didn't see anyone obvious or just don't feel like voting, PLEASE vote for NO ONE. 

BTW, I know our team didn't vote for the Porsche either.  They weren't even on the radar. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

We were under the impression from much research on the race beforehand, that a good theme would help keep us out of the crusher. I spent much of the time preparing the theme stuff- wings, tail, paint, scales, etc and never expected to get the curse- we even made dragon cookies to hand out to everyone- im sure you saw them at the tables in the tents and around the paddock. Next time- if there is on- i'll be sure to loosen the balance belt and put a lock on the oil cap.

Team Captain: Dragon Somethin' #44 - aka- "peoples curse"
http://xsboost90.wordpress.com/

neither of my team(s) voted as I recall. I certainly didn't see the dragon porsche out on the track until it was already decided, but im flabber-ghasted that so many people find a 944 such a cheat.

a near mint-condition example can maybe fetch 6k. the Engine's a detonator-type running a timing belt. In other words you slip a belt the car's instantly turned into a Lemons candidate even if it was garage-kept and only has 40k on the ODO.

Lack of participation in the curse vote should either be grounds for a redo or fall to jay's choice. However, I do prefer to keep the mob rule when the participation is high, seeing as some people are starting to show up to these things with 100k motor homes, fully-stocked trailers, and 2-3 parts cars. most of you guys should be putting band-aids on lacerations with welders, duct tape, and chewing gum, not replacing 90% of your car's suspension off the 2 spares. Combine them before the race and bring a load of parts that might break like tie-rods or an engine. I've got no problem with that, I just feel that while the curse was totally unjust in this case, it -Needs- to stay to keep the cheatanium mines from being dug out. Protect our natural resources!

to be honest when i first saw that plume of smoke from them i thought it was some Dragon-themed dangerous home-made technology candidate, because i was in the hot seat when the curse was called, stayed in the car while it was executed, and then i first saw that car later in my stint.

Lots of people commented it was "too nice"... all I could say in response was that you must have pretty low standards.  Honestly, though, I was disappointed to see nearly 80% of the teams made little or no effort putting a theme together.  That's half the fun.  Nevertheless, our faux Ferrari did seem to draw a lot of unwanted attention, where the more appropriate Lemons strategy seemed to be "stay under the radar".  Live and learn.

Yeah - sorry about that - we did not get the car ready in time to finish the paint and get the Burt Reynolds theme for everyone up.... hell we didn't get the fire chicken on the hood until it was too dark to see it... oh well... should be better for next year...

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

Loren wrote:

Maybe take "mob rule" a step further?  Get the judges involved in the curse.  If they're not seeing ANY teams that have had enough black flag attention to warrant a curse for "crappy driving", then announce that and move on.  However, if it's a typical Lemons race where there are 5-10 cars that have seen the penalty box a dozen times each... pick the top 3 worst offenders and put them and ONLY them on the stand for the curse.

Skip ballots and formal voting altogether.  Just do an "applause meter" style voting with the crowd that gathers.  Simple.  Effective.  Lemony.  Nobody gets crushed who doesn't deserve it.

As an added bonus, it would add more excitement to the curse... especially for the two teams that got "nominated", but were pardoned by the mob!  Could even have a rep from each team come up and plead their case before the mob before the voting to make it even more entertaining.  But, in the end... one of those three cars will die.

brilliant     i agree completly

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"