Topic: For all you heroes who fly off the track in order to avert catastrophe

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/Hero_Medals-800px.jpg

We've got medals for you! Yes, we've finally got a means of rewarding the guys who claim they "deserve a medal" for spinning out and/or driving off into the sand/trees/swamp rather than cause an apocalyptic 77-car pileup.

Re: For all you heroes who fly off the track in order to avert catastrophe

simply awesome!  Almost makes me wish i had gotten one!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

LOL  nice smile

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

hahaha, awesome, I love the 8-hole 'medal' in particular. 3/4-1ton truck iron? how long did you have them wear it?

Serj wrote:

hahaha, awesome, I love the 8-hole 'medal' in particular. 3/4-1ton truck iron? how long did you have them wear it?

that guy doesn't seem to be quite as amused as the others.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! GUUD WON!

http://watchthepinkpanther2online.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/steve_martin_in_the_pink_panther_2_wallpaper_2_1024-300x240.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

wow, nice!

Where can I get one?

8 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-10-05 03:50 PM)

Serj wrote:

Haha, thats the rotor that i brought over.. that sucker was heavy!  (notice its on his shoulder) Sorry about that hahah

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

I wish I got one too...

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

We had to wear them around the pits for a bit. I got stuck with the heavy one of course. Was a quick and funny way to gewt out of the box Steve O.

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe

So THAT"S what those were!!   I was thinking, no scratch that, I wasn't thinking.  I was at a....OK, tell me again where I was......and what are those big gold thingyies. 

Damn rehab didn't work again!   

ciao, ted

I did what it takes to get a medal: during a yellow flag, had to divert off the track to avoid ass-pounding the car in front, taking out a reflector in the process.

Unfortunately, my heroics were not recognised by the corner workers, and therefore by the judges. Story of my life - no one ever acknowledges my good deeds.

That is an awesome award! Even better with the pylon and a tire attached to your car. Like the Iron Cross with diamonds and oak leaves.
cheers thicko

Damn....... my recently junked last month E39 BMW M5 front rotors would have been perfect candidates- they're focking massive (much bigger than those pictured) and srsly heavy

Kevin

where's the pic with all the journalists?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

where's the pic with all the HEROIC journalists?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

yokel wrote:

I did what it takes to get a medal: during a yellow flag, had to divert off the track to avoid ass-pounding the car in front, taking out a reflector in the process.

Unfortunately, my heroics were not recognised by the corner workers, and therefore by the judges. Story of my life - no one ever acknowledges my good deeds.

You had to "avoid ass-pounding the car in front" of you during a YELLOW.

Maybe you deserve two metals. 

I just don't understand how something like this would happen under YELLOW.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

because at NL, some people had the unfortunate habit of slamming on their brakes upon seeing a yellow.  apparently, in Ohio "no passing" means "slam on your brakes and drive 20mph while gawking at the incident."

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

because at NL, some people had the unfortunate habit of slamming on their brakes upon seeing a yellow.  apparently, in Ohio "no passing" means "slam on your brakes and drive 20mph while gawking at the incident."

Think about it.. people slow down for a yellow. It only takes a couple considering the 130 cars for things to crawl to a halt just like in street traffic... I was one that got "ass pounded" while I was doing 20 under a yellow... Never knew what or who hit me, but it really rang my bell! I don't think they ever got flagged either.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Ask the guys in the Caddy how bad it was when a yellow came out...

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Regarding Yellows, the guys at New Orleans were very clear about Yellows.

Yellow means slow down and don't pass.  Not jam on the brakes.

They were doing like 40-60 with the pace car/truck which was a Dodge 1500 or 2500. 

Kinda redefined the whole Yellow concept to me.  They were even moving good through the turns.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Judge Jonny wrote:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/Hero_Medals-800px_01.jpg

You mean these schmoes?

Troy wrote:

They were doing like 40-60 with the pace car/truck which was a Dodge 1500 or 2500. 

Kinda redefined the whole Yellow concept to me.  They were even moving good through the turns.

That wasn't no pace truck -- that was a mad man!

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/j … 0px_01.jpg

You mean these schmoes?

Yes, them schmoes

Judge Jonny wrote:
Troy wrote:

That wasn't no pace truck -- that was a mad man!

I think one of the Danger Ranger guys was driving.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z