Topic: Lamest Day - tire wear?

So - I'm curious.

What sort of tire wear did you have at the Lamest Day?

Please tell us ....

Team Name -
Type of Car -
Hours on Track -
# of Tires Used -
Tire type - Brand or model - new or used?

This will be great data for next year

Thanks,
Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Re: Lamest Day - tire wear?

Team name: Ded Bull Racing #94
Type of car: 94 VW golf 2.0 completely stock
Hours on track: 23+ (waiting on final results)
# of tires used: 4
Tire brand/model/condition: Falken ZE-912 195/60R14 New (complete with stickers)

At the end of the race, the left tires were pretty used up, but the right side showed significantly less wear. If we had taken the time to rotate them during the race there probably would still be useable tread depth on all 4 tires.

Team Name - Dai Mondai I
Type of Car - 89' Toyota Celica
Hours on Track - 22.5
# of Tires Used - 4
Tire type - Brand or model - new or used? - Hankook Ventus R-S2, New...

Hardly used at all. Could run another 24 on them, and they have good grip. Bad news is they are discontinued, and the replacement is under the wear limit.. Not sure what to run next year.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Team Name - Team Reynolds Style
Type of Car - 94' Toyota Celica
Hours on Track - 18 +/- 1
# of Tires Used - 4
Tire type - Michellin Pilots?

Great Tread wear.  Honestly if we didn't hit midway of driving at like 4 AM we would have rotated once.... and have super even wear.  We had amazing grip most of the race... we started to get some understeer at the end but we took off the rear hatch as an experiment so we added another variable - don't know if it was the tires... they seemed to have good tread left up front...

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

Team name - Dawn of the Zed
Type of car - '74 Datsun 260Z
Hours on track - Ummm maybe 4 during the race + 3 Friday in the rain?
# of tires used - 4
Tire type - Falken RT-615 195/60R14

Even though we only ran part of the race, I can't tell that they were ever on a track.  They look brand new and had great grip.  We wanted to use the Hankooks, but they were already gone in our size by the time we were ready to buy them.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Team name - Barfing Duck
Type of car - '95 Saturn SL
Hours on track - 24
# or tires used - 4
Tire type - 205/55R15 BFGoodrich g-force sport

Very minimal tread and shoulder wear.  We never rotated or unbolted the tires.  We run higher presures in the rear and the car is pretty well balanced with minimal understeer.   The tires were wearing so well that at night we let the pressures drop and still the tires wore well.  Overall there was practically no wear compared to the race 3 weeks earlier at CMP.   These tires look better after 24 hours than the other tires did after only 14 hrs at CMP and 2 tire rotations.

We will measure brake pads later.  But I expect the same kind of results.

Not all who wander are lost.

7 (edited by davisriley 2009-10-06 09:37 AM)

Team Name -We'll bring Beer!
Type of Car - 94 celica gt
Hours on Track - 23
# of Tires Used -4
Tire type - Brand or model - new   Hankook rs-2's.  Between practice and race about 23 hours.  Never off the car, never rotates, and probably have roughly 60-70% left on.  Pretty grippy, not much noise, ran great.  Have at least one more full 24 hour race in them, or 2 of the 14 hour ones if I had to guess.  We brought spares, but they never came off the truck.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Team name: Kumkraut Racing #513
Type of car: 97 BMW 325e
Hours on track: 20-ish
# of tires used: 4
Tire brand/model/condition: Fuzion HRI 195/60/R14

The tires sucked.

I have nothing good to say about them. After the Friday Test-n-Tune, our right front tire had a noticeable bulge in the sidewall.  No biggie, we thought, we have spares, though of a different brand.  4 hours into the race, left front does the exact same thing in the carousel, except this time it became less of a tire and more of a collection of rubber bits attached to a rim.  Again, we have spares..... 14 hours in we got a bulge in the right rear sidewall tire.  We had the Kumho guy de-mount it - we only had 2 spares rims and needed it for a third tire.  The tire was trashed - the bead had seperated from the carcass, and the tire was de-laminating from the inside.  Kumho guy said he had never see anything like that ever.

The tires were by far the crappiest tires I had every run - sure, they felt good and appeared to be wearing good, but that doesn't mean jack when the tires fail.
We finished the race on two 10 year old 'Sport-tech' tires that came with the car, and one 'Douglas' tire from walmart.

9 (edited by rushman 2009-10-06 09:44 AM)

Team name - Booby Prize Racing
Type of car - '96 200sx
Hours on track - 24
# or tires used - 6
Tire type - 195/55/15 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

We ate through 2 front left tires until we got the pressure high enough, once we did, it looked great.  If we have them flipped they might last another 24 hours or close to it.  They were awesome though.  Predictable, not sensitive to temperature, and the feel was great.

Team Name - Jackie Ickx GT30
Type of Car - Mitsu 3000GT (2900 pounds and FWD!)
Hours on Track - 19-20
# of Tires Used - 4
Tire type - 205/55-16 Dunlop Star Spec (see above post) at 40 psi.

These tires are great!  We chunked the outside edge of the LF tire at CMP due to most of the track being tight right-turns.  At NL, we had almost NO wear.  Front tires barely show 1mm of wear and minimal edge wear.

Nelson Ledges, good alignment and not overdriving made for a great combination.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We ran the kooks RS2s and although we only had 5 hours or so on the track, the tires look almost new.  We will not need to buy tires for its next race.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Team name: Team Sucker Punch #38
Type of car:  Chevy Camaro
Hours on track:  22 hours (a few penalties and an alternator swap)
# of tires used:  6 totall
Type of tyre:  Toyo Proxes TPT

The tires were great, they really made the big Camaro hook up.  We got bumped early on and ended up slashing the PS rear tire so we swapped it out.  The DS front tire was wore down to the cords near the end of the race so we swapped it out for a new one.  The PS front tossed a wheel weight so we pulled it off to get rid of the vibration, but after a trip to the Kumho truck it was ready to go back on.   The DS rear lasted the whole race and still looks to have a few miles left on it.  I'm about 90% sure that we will be running these again next year after how well they worked this year.  If we had not cut the PS rear and tossed the weight I'm sure that we could have done the whole race with only 5 tires totall.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Team name: Schumacher Taxi Service
Type of car:  '86 MR2
Hours on track:  11 hours
# of tires used:  6 but we think that 2 heat cycled out because they still have a lot of tread left.
Type of tyre:  Dunlop Star Specs that were already used 4+ hours in CMP.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

14 (edited by Alex_Team BarbieMustWin 2009-10-08 12:37 PM)

Team Name - Team BarbieMustWin
Type of Car - 83 635CSi Euro
Hours on Track - 13ish
# of Tires Used - 4
Tire type - Hankook RS2s  225/50-15 New

13 hrs on track.  Home alignment to 1/16th toe in IIRC.  Tires were awesome.  ZERO grip issues.  Started with 33 cold at all corners and I don't think we touched em the entire time.  If one of the guys can chime in to support me, I am pretty sure they still have at least 85% left.  When I finished my stint at 7:30PM, we had been running for about 6 hrs.  I was driving conservatively for the last 3/4 of my session and they still had full grip.  Did not get greasy.

I run almost the same size tire (except aspect ratio 45) on my track car (89 E30 with 3.0L M20).  I've had these tires for the entire 2009 season, doing 2 full DE days each at Gateway, Mid-Ohio, and Putnam.  I ran in the advanced group in each (only mention that so you see where I'm coming from) and the tires have still about 85% left.  Splurging on R comps next season or I'd have been all over the Tire Rack's current close-out on these (be careful, though - the tires may be very old - when I bought them in 3/09, they shipped and I looked at the mfr dates...they were all 4/08).

Alex April
#10 Barbie Must Win - 1983 635CSi ('09 Lamest Day @ Nelson Ledges)

Team Name - Schumacher Taxi Service: Lost our Shirts (#909)
Type of Car - 1990 Audi 80 Quatto
Hours on Track - 24 plus Friday evening practice (3 hrs)
# of Tires Used - 4
Tire type - Hankook RS2s  225/50-15 New

Tires wore well;  still above the wear bars and evenly side to side.  Much better than two CMP races.

Car was losing grip Sunday AM but still competitive.

Decent tires but too bad we can't get them anymore.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

16 (edited by King Arthur 2009-10-08 10:15 AM)

Team Name - Morrows Auto/Snoopy's Quest for the holy nickel bag
Type of Van- 87 GMC 3500 Cargo Van
Hours on track 11ish 189 laps + friday
Type of tire - Avon Tech M500 245/50ZR16 new @ 32 psi front 28psi rear
Professional alignment (done by self) 5.5 positive caster, 1.5 negative camber, toed in 1/16 inch.
# of tires used- 4, slight feather edging on front, otherwise like new. gripped road surface like glue and squealed like a pig. Oh yea almost forgot handled very well in the rain.(seems sooooo long ago)

Team Name -  Finalgear.com (inspiring i know)
Type of Car - 99 Buick LeSabre
Hours on Track - est. 22hours not discounting refuel/driver changes
# of Tires Used - uh, 4? (the ones we swapped to specifically for the race)

Tire type - the rubber kind?
Brand or model - Brand New Goodyear Eagle GTs up front and new Champiro 328s out back

they came with like 32psi on the GYs and 30psi Champiros so we just left'em that way. went the whole race and had quite a lot of wear on the inside RF but the front tread had no feathering for over 16 hours of racing and I drove the car home on the rears they wore so well. Trust me I was putting the fronts into power understeer almost every corner every time coming out and the car had a very predictable behavior, grip was solid other than being tail-happy, pulled right along happily to the end. Still got a trailer full of spares so I'll use this setup again for sure!

Serj wrote:

Team Name -  Finalgear.com (inspiring i know)
Type of Car - 99 Buick LeSabre
Hours on Track - est. 22hours not discounting refuel/driver changes
# of Tires Used - uh, 4? (the ones we swapped to specifically for the race)

Tire type - the rubber kind?
Brand or model - Brand New Goodyear Eagle GTs up front and new Champiro 328s out back

they came with like 32psi on the GYs and 30psi Champiros so we just left'em that way. went the whole race and had quite a lot of wear on the inside RF but the front tread had no feathering for over 16 hours of racing and I drove the car home on the rears they wore so well. Trust me I was putting the fronts into power understeer almost every corner every time coming out and the car had a very predictable behavior, grip was solid other than being tail-happy, pulled right along happily to the end. Still got a trailer full of spares so I'll use this setup again for sure!

lol your front tires, the goodyears, had around 40-42psi thats what it took to set/seal the bead i never readjusted them being we didnt have air other then a that 5 gal tank the rear tires bob summeral installed i would assume they were around 30 no more then 35 being they were 98-99 olds. intrigue wheels big_smile

Team Name - Near Orbital Space Monkeys
Type of Car - 1985 BMW E28 528e
Hours on Track - 23 hours + wet practice which didn't wear anything
# of Tires Used - 4
Tire type - Brand or model - new or used? Hankook RS2 225/50-15, new, close-out

Modest wear, great grip all day/night/day, no complaints, wish they were still available. Started around 32psi cold, never stopped to check hot. NL was much easier on tires and brakes than Stafford, even though it was almost 50% longer in time.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Team Name -#95 CART Chicagoland Amish Racing Team

Type of Car - '86 BMW E30 (Don't Hate Teh Greatness) 325A (A = Amish- it actually an E)

Hours on Track - 29th Place- no failures other than some off track lawnmowing (one black flag 10 min. penalty) that required extra pit stops and a refueling delay.  So we were on the track the whole time for the most part?

# of Tires Used - Hardly 4

Tire type - Brand or model - new or used? Falken Ziex 912 195/60 HR 14 Treadwear 480 WELL used

Our tires were shocking.  They are leftovers from running all 24 hours at Toledo (we finished 6th).  I think two of them ran all 24 hours last year!  We  decided to change right side tires once last year and after the race found the left front to be trashed by the banking.  So that left us with five used tires from last year.

We put on the used ones this year, set the pressures at 30-something and hit the track running.  During night practice in the wet they were awfully unpredictable.  no warning of losing grip- no shuddering, no slight slip, just sliding.  However in the dry on RACE day they were decent.

We never changed tires.  We kept looking at them each time we'd pit and didn't have to change them.  We've never aligned this pile of shit.  Never adjusted pressures throughout the race.  It's shocking how decent the wear was.

So we've got 7 new tires sitting in our trailer that never got track time.  Boy did we overestimate the need for tires at this track...........  A stickier tire, a better running engine and better driver change strategy would have helped us finish better.  But hey, we finished so that's huge in and of itself.

Kevin

21 (edited by Alex_Team BarbieMustWin 2009-10-09 08:53 AM)

KTL wrote:

Team Name -#95 CART Chicagoland Amish Racing Team

Type of Car - '86 BMW E30 (Don't Hate Teh Greatness) 325A (A = Amish- it actually an E)
A stickier tire, a better running engine and better driver change strategy would have helped us finish better.  But hey, we finished so that's huge in and of itself.

If your budget for next race will allow, get a chip for this motor.  It's a simply awesome upgrade.  Mid 20's claimed for HP and TQ gains.  Feels like it, too.

Alex April

Thanks for the tip.  We have a source for a chip (guy we bought the car from) but figured we didn't want to mess with it.  Considering that the E engine is a detuned engine, it's probably silly not to RE-tune the engine.

First we gotta get rid of that pesky injector short/hesitation.  Car's been like that ever since we got it and it makes a POS car feel like a bigger POS

Kevin

I've never raced a BMW, but I've always wondered why everyone hates them....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Police Brutality ran Fuzion HRi 225/70R15s on the Cadillac.
All of our 180-some laps were completed on one set, which shows surprisingly little wear.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

jimeditorial wrote:

I've never raced a BMW, but I've always wondered why everyone hates them....

I can go on and on about E30 BMWs (body code for US 1984-1991 3 series + 92 convertibles). I have had 3 and still have two.  One is a full-out track car (3/4 of the way to a race car) and the other is a daily driver. 

Solidly built. RWD (except for the iX, which is AWD). Light. Good power. Awesome handling. Brakes just one notch below Porsches. Older ones are also easy to work on and parts are plentiful. For the E30, specifically, there were 2.5 million made in the world, so they are always at the yards.

BMW, in general, is also extremely well-known for making parts available for classic and older cars.  BMW Mobile Tradition (has a new name, but I can't think of it - "BMW Classic"?) still makes available upwards of 90% of the parts for many of their vehicles. 

Here's an interesting fact: a few years ago, BMW AG (HQ) in Germany built a brand new Inka (orange) 2002 (the model, not the year) from scratch with parts they still had on hand! This is the first link I ran across on it: http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/2002-redo/  IIRC, the car is available for viewing at BMW Welt in Munich (something also tells me I read it's available for daily rentals as well!)

Alex April