Topic: Tires bolted to your roof!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/TiresOnRoofs-800px.jpg

This penalty works so well that we're going to dish it out in ever-increasing numbers. Bring your drill, some bolts, and some nice big fender washers! Or don't- scrounging from other teams builds camaraderie!

Re: Tires bolted to your roof!

Why do you say it worked well? From the number of penalties handed out, you could come to the conclusion that it encouraged bad driving! I mean, our team felt left out because we didn't have any roof decoration. I even drove off track in an attempt to get one, but was unfortunately not rewarded. sad

might I suggest rather then adding tires, have an escalating scale of tire size.... get some used farm tractor tires..... by the time you get to the 3rd offence the car will roll onto its side turning onto pit lane ;-)

What exactly was the penalty that caused the tires to be bolted to the roof? I noticed several of them seemed to be scrounged tire-wall tires. Yum!

I liked that the BMW had the antler bolted to the tyre. That was brilliant.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

I didn't think the antler was gonna clear the bridge!!

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

the way some of those things were mounted - swaying all around, i was waiting for them to start flying off

It seemed weird though, the Yank tanks had motorcycle tires, while the 50cc powered foreign cars had the tractor tyres mounted to the roof... or was it a size / perspective thing?

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

we got one for passing under yellow. I got black flagged in the middle of the night and figured that I had probably missed a yellow due to the ease of passes I had just made. After having seen the ever increasing amount of tires on roofs, I radioed in to get a tire ready. Sure enough, we got another tire penalty, so we had it on and back out on track in about 3 minutes. Meanwhile the SCCA guy in the yellow car next to us kept bitchin to Judge Johnny about how unfair his penalty was smile

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs209.snc1/7618_674876954225_21401848_38721669_8085917_n.jpg

I think it looks good, we're gonna leave these on for next year.

The tyres just make your bumper logo that much more hilarious!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Some teams got their tires bolted down very quickly, while others are probably still working on it today. We really like this penalty, so be ready for it!

do we have a choice as to where we mount them. I think they would be more aesthetically pleasing to mount them to the doors or fenders or quarter panels? How about all of them? I saw this at a carnival a few times.

Bill Strong

It was a pretty funny penalty. It doesn't take much time to accomplish and it is pretty comical. It's almost better than the Arc Angel penalty in my opinion. 

Most teams got wise and prepped a tire. We spotted our neighbors some hardware after they spotted us a drill when ours was dead.

I am looking at new enclosed trailers right now... I am guessing I need to figure in the height requirements of a 1991 Toyota MR2 and two 225 50 15 tires with 1200 laps on them?

Bill Strong

I dunno, the humping bunnies is still pretty damn funny

The perfect penalty for Nelson Ledges. 

I can not fathom how many tires there must be lining both sides of that 2 mile ribbon of asphalt.  Yikes!!

So what happens when one of those tires comes off and lands in someone's windshield? Who gets the black flag?

Why do you have a window?

Bill Strong

What? You use a mesh??

That is our Integra in the pic.  If you tilt your head and squint a little the underwear paintjob makes sense.  The penalty was well deserved (running pit road red) and entertaining to see on the track.  There should be no fear of the tire coming off.  A judge checked how well it was installed.  We ended up putting a large metal plate on the back side.  It made the car easy to spot at night. 

The word on the street is that Nelson's was the first track in the world to use tires as a barrier.  Perhaps someone from the track can confirm.  If that is the case, the tires are really fitting.

K. Lemmon

21 (edited by flagger 2009-10-07 05:01 AM)

The previous track manager John McGill decided to try tire wall as an effective barrier for the track back in the day, early 70's. It was a lot less expensive than Armco.
The close proximity of Akron, when they actually made tires there, gave a steady supply.

30 years of impacts and hurried , er, restacking, has made them look a little unkempt.

The reality though was that the tires absorbed impact quite effectively and it became apparent that it beat concrete and steel as a barrier. The number of cars which were buried in the tires and lived to run another day became obvious.

I do not recall the exact year but John McGill received an FIA racing safety award in the 70's for "inventing" the tire wall.

True Story.

Somehow it is appropriate, and very funny, that the tire bolted to roof penalty started at Nelson Ledges.

Don't ever lose the Arc Angel though.

I really hope we get to come back next year.  Loved the track.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

rushman wrote:

might I suggest rather then adding tires, have an escalating scale of tire size.... get some used farm tractor tires..... by the time you get to the 3rd offence the car will roll onto its side turning onto pit lane ;-)

+1 and I would further add that you should mandate that hardware be provided by a different team - in order to build up some mingling!

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

The Happy Track Fan wrote:

The perfect penalty for Nelson Ledges. 

I can not fathom how many tires there must be lining both sides of that 2 mile ribbon of asphalt.  Yikes!!

The rough estimate is somewhere between 2-3 million. We have the most onsite tires of anyone else in all of Ohio.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Bryan KF8G wrote:

The rough estimate is somewhere between 2-3 million. We have the most onsite tires of anyone else in all of Ohio.

Hopefully nobody ever goes off track in flames...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones