Re: next year's schedule

Ya know Id love to do more racing at my home track...Road America....but even I'm not that crazy!  Its just too fast and too brutal on the cars.  People would get hurt, no doubt about it!  So I'll see you guys at gingerman and Autobahn.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

227 (edited by Troy 2009-10-15 11:02 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:
Jer wrote:
Troy wrote:

While a race like Lemons seems to draw a crowd and make money.  I think most of the money goes to Lemons. 

I believe Jay & Co. rent the track like anyone else would.  The track makes their day/weekend rate + whatever they can make on providing works, concessions, camping fees or whatever.

At Nelson Ledges, track rental is $15,000 for the weekend.  Throw in insurance and workers and things and you're probably talking $25,000 to put on the event.

That's optimistic on costs.  Figure the 15K, plus another $56,000 in insurance.  How?  $90/driver X 5 drivers per team (might be low) and 125 teams.  vola!  Add in airfare for Jay, judges, equipment, etc, wages for said folks, and tent rental, food, prize money and extas and you're looking at another $20,000 perhaps.  So now we are looking at bills totaling $91,000.  With 125 teams paying (assuming 5 drivers) $1200 each, the variable profit is still $150,000 - $91,000 = $59,000.  Not bad!  Then you have general costs, website, attorneys, umbrella liabilty and other insurance costs, and all the other fixed costs.  Still, a fantastic enterprise.   If I was Jay I'd be doing as many races as I possibly could do and expect at least a break even turnout.  His schedule for 2010 reflects good business planning.  It also reflects that he is optimistic he'll get 100 + cars and can afford to get better tracks, hence Summit Point, etc.

Troy's had a bug up his ass since the first Houston Race about how much money Jay is raking in and sending to the Cayman Islands.

Remember, Nelson Ledges was our first race with over 100 cars.

Troy is also forgetting the $1200 we spend on spray paint per year.

I don't care how much money Lemons makes.  I realized at the first Houston race with 75 cars they were probably bringing in over $80,000.  I knew it was expensive but that's a lot of money.

Judge Jonny wrote:

You all need to drink a big fucking glass of Rule 2.4.

Jesus. 23 races isn't good enough? Should we call the whambulance?

With 23 races and 100+ entries, maybe Lemons can afford to pay the Judges enough to quit writing.

Regarding Nelson Ledges:

I'd love to do a true 24 Hour race.  I've driven to Northern Ohio from Houston and it was loooooong.

Just like LeMon's is Jay & Nick's baby and they can do what they want.  Nelson Ledges can do what they want with their track.

Now that they have experienced Lemons, maybe they will allow Crap Cans to participate in some of their own enduros.  Sure, it won't be the same but you might get a chance to race there.

Regarding insurance:

While I don't have an exact number it might be less than you expect.  Certainly less than 50K.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

I don't care how much money Lemons makes.  I realized at the first Houston race with 75 cars they were probably bringing in over $80,000.  I knew it was expensive but that's a lot of money.

You need to learn the difference between gross and net.

Troy wrote:

With 23 races and 100+ entries, maybe Lemons can afford to pay the Judges enough to quit writing.

Since there are so many millions of dollars floating around, you would think so! If we could just stop Jay from wrapping his burritos in $100 bills...

Troy wrote:

Regarding insurance:

While I don't have an exact number it might be less than you expect.  Certainly less than 50K.

Hey dude -- you don't have an exact number.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I actually heard/have a number, which i rounded up to $90, Troy.  It's more than a guess on my part.   You have no clue.

I did the math for Stafford last year and concluded they probably LOST money on that weekend, and probably did just better than breakeven this year.   Sure, they make money when the turnout is great and the track rental is cheap.  So why begrudge them that?  I hope they make a bunch of money and keep bringing us better tracks as a result.   It was a brilliant concept and it was well executed; there should be a payoff for that.  congrats to Jay and Nick.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

230 (edited by flagger 2009-10-16 05:24 AM)

I have compared  the Lemons numbers to a local region's SCCA National. FYI At about $400/entry an SCCA national does not break even at Nelson Ledges with 124 cars. I understand that the entry is higher and that Lemons has more driver fees but then the SCCA staff does not need to fly in either. I also believe, maybe incorrectly, that Lemons insurance costs are higher as SCCA has a national base with a lot more anal retentive stewards making sure the underwriting guidlines are adhered to.
I think there was some money made at Nelson  but not as much as one might think.
The comment rgarding gross vs. net should be very well taken.

The point is, Lemons staff are not getting rich off this stuff.
If they are they are the only ones in the world doing that in motorsport right now.

231 (edited by Woodstock 2009-10-16 06:06 AM)

All I hear is CLASS ENVY if someone makes more money than you good for them don't you want to make more? stop whining and get to work ! (I know you didn't get anything done yesterday) I'm self employed and pay people to work for me so I can build my Lemons cars and be on the forum. WHAA WHAAA WHAAAA

It Ain't My Fault

232 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 05:55 AM)

when the Lemons crew buys the city of Detriot (which probably has the lowest property value of any major metro in the country, and the most motivated sellers), I'll concern myself with how much money they are making.

until then, i'll live with three races with 8 hours of me, and private days at my local track.

"do YOU have 15 drivers/cars? do YOU have $100 each? do YOU have a weekday off?

.....then come on down and rent our track for the day"

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Enough about the money, this is about racing. Racing costs money. We all need to get used to that. I am grateful to be able to go out there and do it. The people who came up with this deserve to get what they get. Been to an SCCA event lately? No blue light specials there.

Lets get back on track and talk about more races for us up in yankee egghead country, the northeast. I know some of the teams are driving a million miles and such but Gingerman is 13-14 hours from New York. Where's the love for us poor baastards.

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

The whole discussion about money came up when someone thought Hallett should put in a bridge or something to provide infield access which would attract events like Lemons and bring in lots of money for the track.

While I am sure tracks make money on additional services like concessions and camping fees, the bulk of their revenue on an event is probably through their rental rate which is a fixed cost.

If you rent out a track, they don't care how many cars you bring as long as they get paid and you're safe.  Getting them to allow 120ish cars on the track at the same time that's a whole 'nother thing and it ain't normal.

We rented out MSR in June for a 1 day DE.  They will tell you your max track capacity is around 32 cars.  That's about 1/4 of the field for next weeks race. 

FYI, I think we paid MSR about $8500 for rent, insurance and corner workers (it's been a while and I don't recall the exact amount).

I have no problem with the Lemons crew making money.  Large events help offset the cost of new events which often times have low turnout. 

MSR Houston has increased it's field from 80 to 100 to 120.  No Problem was around a 50 car field.  No Problem was a great event but probably did not bring in a whole lot of money.  Hopefully larger events like MSR, Nelson and Thunderhill can offset the lower turnout events.  They also help increase the number of events from 11 to 23.

To me, the biggest miracle of Lemons was convincing some insurance company to cover it in the first place.  We are kind of breaking the mold of normal racing and having a blast doing it.

While our entry fees are higher than SCCA, we have more "potential" track time and you can get a license for $50 if you don't have one.  A 6 driver team will be around $1200 but that's $200 each.  A $400 entry fee to most SCCA races is for 1 driver to do a couple of Sprint races.   The NASA enduro this Spring at TWS was about $700 for about 8 hours.  Lemons fees are fine.  I think the camping fee kinda blows but that's it.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The key to continued to success is the lack of deaths/injuries (the heart attack not withstanding).  The focus on safety was wise.  Insurace might go down with continued success (lack of claims).

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Troy wrote:

Blahblahblah blah

Man... the special penalties we have planned for you...

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
Serj wrote:

for the last two years even when money was tight I always made sure to attend the true 24h event in the mid-west. it just feels more like the superbowl of the whole event calender. Now with it being in Reno I'm not feeling a trip through Kansas in my future. I agree with Jer though. Gingerman is actually closer to me but I liked the history and character of the Ledges.

You all need to drink a big fucking glass of Rule 2.4.

Jesus. 23 races isn't good enough? Should we call the whambulance?

Lol. sorry If I came off Whiny. Just sayin' I get broke before the event calendar runs out so sometimes I gots to be choosy!

Judge Jonny wrote:
Troy wrote:

Blahblahblah blah

Man... the special penalties we have planned for you...

TROY... just make sure you keep talking and keep the focus away from our team.

We will reward you nicely... maybe

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Shame NL is not on the schedule. But as Jay has proven to our team he knows what he is doing. And like he has in the rules if you do not like it go make up your own race. Bottom line is you can not get the seat time for the $$$ any place else. We have run 3 races_2 at Stafford and 1 at NL. Had a blast and looking forward to 3-4 races this upcoming year. We just try and run a steady line in the #0 volvo 244 and do the best we can while staying out of others way the best we can. Thanks Jay & crew for what you give us and while we may not always agree with everthing we respect it

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe

Watch this space for info...
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … 547?ref=ts
Or this space: http://www.nelsonledges.com/
Oh, and the safety trucks we have WERE from Champcar.... We're looking into doing something with the 12 hour weekend for $500 racecars. The research is ongoing....

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

MightySlacker wrote:

As the hospitality tent boss, it sucks to see that NL didn't make the schedule for next year.  Everyone with a Lemons shirt that stopped by was very nice and pleasant, and the few hours we had to spectate were a blast.  You may regret the decision though, as I can guarantee you aren't getting chicken noodle soup or chili that good at ANY of those other tracks, especially not at midnight.

Dave

And the coffee at the little trailer was awesome!

I'm sad NL isn't on the schedule.  Ledges was the best race of my life so far.

But I can't complain.  Next year I've got 5 races within spitting distance: 2 Houston, 1 DFW and 2 Louisiana races.  Rock on!

So Jay, thanks for creating Lemons, thanks for getting more tracks on board, and thanks for making ChumpCar irrelevant.  I don't need Chump, I've got enough Lemons, thanks!

See you this weekend.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

242 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-10-19 04:47 AM)

doctawife wrote:

And the coffee at the little trailer was awesome!.

+1.2 zillion. I had a FANTASTIC Americano before I hopped in at 4:30am (having been unable to sleep due to excitement). I very memorable cup of coffee -- the best I've ever had at a track by far.

I too would welcome another 24 race at Nelson Ledges.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Bryan KF8G wrote:

Watch this space for info...
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … 547?ref=ts
Or this space: http://www.nelsonledges.com/
Oh, and the safety trucks we have WERE from Champcar.... We're looking into doing something with the 12 hour weekend for $500 racecars. The research is ongoing....

I will be watching.  I would love a return to NL and I don't really care what series presents it.  We only got 5 hours on that track and I want more!

A well placed little birdy just told me that a 24 Hour Race will be returning to Nelsons this spring.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Sounds like there may be 2 there next year.  One spring and one fall!  If that is the case we're in for both.

Lemmon

Spud wrote:

A well placed little birdy just told me that a 24 Hour Race will be returning to Nelsons this spring.

Don't fluff me up and leaving me wanting. Details, good man, we need details!

Non-LeMons event, right?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

psychoboy wrote:

when the Lemons crew buys the city of Detriot (which probably has the lowest property value of any major metro in the country, and the most motivated sellers), I'll concern myself with how much money they are making.

all they need to buy is Belle Isle  !!   kick out all the drug dealers and Lemons would have its own "home track " !!

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Mulry wrote:

Maybe next year we can add Mosport to the schedule. I hear that Turn 2 is a kitten.

Yup. I've seen guys like Hunt, Sheckter and an M. Andretti completely screw up in the 2-2A complex....decreasing radius double apex off camber radioactive corner from Hell. The only time I've ever gotten it right is on foot...but I'm thinking of a Vespa...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Turn two at Mosport is the only corner that ever made me involuntarily blurt out 'Mommy!!!'.

It really seperates the men from the boys.

Me, I wear short pants.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Has anybody ever built a "tribute" race track kind of like those Tour 18 golf courses that feature replicas of the toughest holes from golf courses around the world, but all in one course?

You could have a track with Mosport's Turn 2, the corkscrew from Laguna Seca, the Loews hairpin from the Monte Carlo GP, maybe a long straightaway followed by Turn 1 at Indy...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.