Topic: Fuel Cell/Firewall/Mirror Issue

Upon re-reading the rules we are trying to make the most sence of our fuel cell/fire wall/rearview mirror dilema prior to arriving at tech in Houston.  Our vechicle is a 68 VW baja bug that we have put a fuel cell in the area that would be the rear passanger seat area (This is typical on all Score Class 5 cars.  The fuel cell is not FIA Compliant but is a metal enclosed Poly tank that is completely caged in the car and secured well enough to race off road.  Last year we quickly put a stop sign in the car to accoplish the fire wall requirement with some additional sheet metal.  This year we want to make sure we have the proper fire wall, but also realized that if we build a full fire wall we won't have a way to see behind us?  Do we need a fire wall?  If so do we also need to make provisions to see behind us ie a plexiglass window?  We have some extra road signs for this year to use as a fire wall so let us know what we should be doing.

Team Buckaroo

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

Re: Fuel Cell/Firewall/Mirror Issue

From my understanding you can have a rear window due to the design of the bug. The firewall would be considered the sheetmetal between the engine and the cabin.

As far as the fuel cell is concerned. For safety reasons I am sure it must be completely sealed with the fill spout being outside the cabin. Otherwise the could leak a small amount of fumes causing your cabin to basically become a time bomb.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

as I recall, lil' buckaroo (the car) has no roof... perhaps a simple piano hinge and another road sign-based lid over the fuel cell will be sufficient to complete your firewall between you and the cell, but still allow you to see what's behind you.

crude side-view diagram, w/an 'x' for hinge and 'y' for some latches or hood pins:
y_____x
|..cell..|...seat

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Cpchampion,

Your right it was easier to build the cage with the roof off and we used some of the sheet metal from the roof to patch holes in the floor.  I thought about that and maybe just making something that was four sided top, sides and front facing that hinged or we could just bolt down with the tie downs for the cell. 

Humm maybe Nick or Jay will chim in here?

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

Our fuel cell is an RSI plastic cell mounted in the rear hatch of the 240Z.  It is sunk into the floor under the car in a metal holder.  It is strapped down with metal straps from the top.  Then all that is covered more or less by a sheet metal lid/box with a hinged flap door.

Out car is fueled from inside the hatch.

The point of the cover is to prevent gas from splashing on the driver in case of an accident.

Our fire suits are only fire retardant.  If they are soaked in gas, that pretty much goes right out the window and your wearing a fire bomb.  So containing potential fuel leaks/ruptures is very important.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Why the hell would you cut the roof off a beetle? It's a factory roll cage...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Little Buckaroo,
Rather than ask us, you should send pictures and note explaing what you have to Jay and friends.  Then you will not have any questions at tech.

Not all who wander are lost.

Andyshoun,

I am thinking that would be the best.  I figured they kept up with the forums as well.  I will send some pics to Nick and Jay this weekend.  We talked about it with our group and the big fire wall seems fine we just don't want any heat about the window we will have to put in it.  Last year I could not see any thing behind me and it would have been nice to have that option.

Thanks everyone.

Ill see about posting some pictures when we get it done or come and see in Houston.