Re: Lamest day Patch

Raydoc wrote:

MORE PATCHES! I too was too late. I had to settle for a generic patch that Jay wrote Lamest Day on with a sharpie.

That IS lame!

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

I was pretty bummed when Nick told me they were out of LD patches.
Definitely count me in for one when the reissue comes up.
I've gotta get the Official Jacket one of these days, too.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

also really want one!

There were stickers?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/LeMons_Patches-800px.jpg

Here are the patches for the races I've worked this year.

In for a LD patch!

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Dumb Question:

What's the best way to put the patches on your suit?
It looks like it has hot-melt on the back.

Just iron-on, or iron + sew?

William
Team SOB

I ironed mine on at Lamest ("borrowed" it from the motel my wife stayed at), I have also used fabric glue (JoAnn Fabric) for some of my other patches.

You could have them sewn on with nomex thread. Pegasus sells it.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

34 (edited by atomicalex 2009-10-09 07:46 AM)

I hand-sew them on with Nomex from Pegasus.

You use a running pick stitch with double thread and grab the binding threads on the patch (sewing through the patch is virtually impossible) and run into the outer layer of your suit. Two laps around the patch is more than sufficient. Pin the patch to the suit at the three corners to keep the location stable. Obviously pins are removed as you round the corners. Use a short quilting needle for best results.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

<--Knows who he's sending his suit to for having patches put on.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

I didn't even know there were patches.

I'm with Pat, bring them to Houston.  I'd like on fore each race I've done too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We need these patches in sticker form. They should go on the drivers front fender of the car, one for each race the car has sucessfully entered in. Kinda like how they used to put markings on bombers for sucessful bomb runs.

Someone previously pointed out that since the patches are flammable, you should use regular thread so a flaming patch will fall off, rather than nomex thread.

I don't know about the iron-on. It would be tons easier but a flaming patch stuck to me doesn't sound so good. The one patch I sewed on turned out crooked, despite using pins. I'm a better mechanic than seamstress, but that's not saying much.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

If an Iron is going to melt it to your suit, I'm guessing the heat from being on fire is enough to set the glue as well.

I really can't wait for the Lamest Day re-issue... I'd really like to have one for my wall and one for my suit.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

Yeh, I not terribly worried about being burned by a 2x2 patch and more so from what ever it is that has caused the patch to ignite in the first place.

Just sayin.

roll

EvergreenDan wrote:

Someone previously pointed out that since the patches are flammable, you should use regular thread so a flaming patch will fall off, rather than nomex thread.

Funny story about the fire issue--I had a long talk with our patch vendor on the issue plus I consulted the SCCA rulebook.

The SCCA rules are great. They state that iron-on patches with glue backing are not allowed. Then they require you to display an SCCA patch in most of their events. Then, as far as I can tell, all of the SCCA patches come with a glue backing! Go figure.

We acutally had the option of using Nomex thread to make the patches, but the domestic Nomex was cost-prohibitive. We figured Lemons guys would rather burn than pay $15 for a patch. There was a cheaper Chinese alternative, but in the words of our vendor, "Chinese Nomex will go up in flames."

I have heard from a couple of sources that using regular thread is the best way to go for the reason stated above.

We'll keep everyone posted on any reissue news.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

The SCCA rules are great. They state that iron-on patches with glue backing are not allowed. Then they require you to display an SCCA patch in most of their events. Then, as far as I can tell, all of the SCCA patches come with a glue backing! Go figure.

Yep, heard that too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

You should do a special patch for the heroes that catch fire or get their wheels pointed to the sky. Like "My shitcan caught fire and all I got was this stupid patch".
Or, "If you can read this patch, it means that I did not use nomex thread".

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

44 (edited by Alex_Team BarbieMustWin 2009-10-09 09:04 AM)

ninetyfourintegra wrote:

Yeh, I not terribly worried about being burned by a 2x2 patch and more so from what ever it is that has caused the patch to ignite in the first place.

A guy I know got burned in an SCCA race locally here in STL and had regular, non-Nomex thread holding a patch on his chest.  He still has scars in the outline of the stitching pattern from the burning thread!

Why can't you melt the glue off by ironing it on something like wax paper (??) first and then sew it on using non-Chinese Nomex thread?

If you're worried about getting burned in a race fire, put it on something other than your race suit!

Alex April
#10 Barbie Must Win - 1983 635CSi ('09 Lamest Day @ Nelson Ledges)

When I sewed my required patches onto my 2-layer suit, I did not go all the way through the material. Just the red part outer layer.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

I suppose if you were worried about the glue, you could iron it onto some scrap cloth, then sew it on.

I agree one patch doesn't matter, but if you start collecting them, I'm guessing they could add up to quite a bit of "tinder" for your suit. Who knows.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Troy wrote:

For penalty-assessment purposes, I'd like to note that I am not with Troy. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I am not with Troy. smile

Will there be a patch for that, too? wink

Tullamore wrote:
Raydoc wrote:

MORE PATCHES! I too was too late. I had to settle for a generic patch that Jay wrote Lamest Day on with a sharpie.

That IS lame!

Yeah, but in twenty years... it will still be a ruined patch

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Mulry wrote:
Troy wrote:

For penalty-assessment purposes, I'd like to note that I am not with Troy. smile

Good luck with that!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"