Topic: IOE car??

Just curious as to what makes a car an IOE contendor?

I know I know it has to be oddball and hopelessly slow!   But I have a line on two cars at the moment  just curious if ethier would be a good choice for IOE victory.

A 1965 Ford Galaxie with a 390 in it.  A car so big it has its own gravitational pull!!  I'm thinking the brakes would be more of a sugjestion then a command in this car and getting it to go around a corner....yea mabye I can get an old NASCAR guy to help me out.

and the other..

1977 MG midget, the other extreme.  Now the car in question has the 1275 under the hood so I would expect it to be faster then the Ford.  But anything old and British is gonna have some issues with cooling and electrics.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: IOE car??

Thing of it as doing the most with the least.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

So....if I win the race with my Camaro...or a Z car I could get both awards??!?!?

Anyways we found a Simca recently MUCH more Lemons then ethier of those two.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015

Camaro = Muscle car
Z = Sports car

You'll not see IOE out of either of those.

The Galaxie might be a contender if it's crappy enough. (I remember seeing an orangy Plymouth Fury that was done up right and finishing in the to 5 or 10 at a few races, though... no reason a 390 Galaxie couldn't be equally as quick and reliable)  An MG Midget would definitely be a contender.  Theme it well, REWIRE the whole damned car, and put a reliable cooling system on it.  I don't think you could go wrong with that... as long as you don't get between a '61 Cadillac and a bridge or something.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:

Camaro = Muscle car
Z = Sports car

The Galaxie might be a contender if it's crappy enough. (I remember seeing an orangy Plymouth Fury that was done up right and finishing in the to 5 or 10 at a few races, though... no reason a 390 Galaxie couldn't be equally as quick and reliable)  An MG Midget would definitely be a contender.  Theme it well, REWIRE the whole damned car, and put a reliable cooling system on it.  I don't think you could go wrong with that... as long as you don't get between a '61 Cadillac and a bridge or something.

Oh, I think all Camaros are Effluency contenders.

They are really terrible.

Also -- Obama is more likely to win the Nobel Peace Price while being the Commander in Chief of a military engaged in two wars AND with unconstitutional detainment centers like Gitmo than a Z is to win a Lemons Raze

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

Also -- Obama is more likely to win the Nobel Peace Price while being the Commander in Chief of a military engaged in two wars AND with unconstitutional detainment centers like Gitmo than a Z is to win a Lemons Raze

(In my best Jim Carrey to Loren Holly in Dumb & Dumber)  So, you're saying there's a chance.... big_smile

The only thing that went bad on our Camaro was the squishey organic bit behind the wheel as Jermey Clarkson would say.  I spun the thing off the track and we had a pair of black flags that cost us a lot of time. 

The gauges all died but that was it...and that aint bad for a Lemons car!

OK then next year the Camaro AND something else..will vie for the IOE.

Loren wrote:

Camaro = Muscle car
Z = Sports car

OH yes we plan to yuck it up if we get the MG.  We are already planning on talking with bad british accents the whole race and making a pit stop for tea at teatime...lucas sponsor logos, tweed hats, oh yes!!!

9 (edited by Spank 2009-10-11 07:51 PM)

Tiptoe the rat wrote:
Loren wrote:

Camaro = Muscle car
Z = Sports car

OH yes we plan to yuck it up if we get the MG.  We are already planning on talking with bad british accents the whole race and making a pit stop for tea at teatime...lucas sponsor logos, tweed hats, oh yes!!!

Let us know what venue you plant o race at and we'll apply for the same event. give us someone to race against. We did beat a 1275 sprite with our puny 998, if the course is dry and considered "fast" then sprites/midgets are traditionally faster than minis (aka bricks).

--Spank

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/1571184/100_2572_detail.JPG

From my Anglo-centric perspective (current cars in driveway/garage: Sprite mk. II, TR6, RRC LWB), old Brit cars have to be automatic odds-on favorites for IOE.  A few thoughts: TR7, Dolomite, Rover SD1, and my current fave: Sterling 825 or 827.  I mean, really--think of how much skill it took to make an Acura Legend utterly unreliable!  Dolomites and SD1s have pretty much vanished (although I recently found a Rover P5 for under $500).  Sterlings are fairly rare, but there are a few of them out there.  Just imagining all of the random electrical "events" that could occur over a 24-hour race...

Enjoy every sandwich.

Plenty of cars bigger than a Galaxie have been through the Lemons wringer.
You wanna talk big, bring a '65 Imperial out there, and we'll talk turkey.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Loren wrote:

An MG Midget would definitely be a contender. REWIRE the whole damned car, and put a reliable cooling system on it.

So THAT'S what we did wrong. Huh. neutral

But... if you take Lucas and his best friend "Steam Pop" out of an MG, you no longer have a real MG.

I did steal the radiator out of my wife's MGB and bring it as a backup, which was fortuitous, as it started crumbling apart after day 1 at Fernley. (Should have seen the look on her face when she asked "Where did you get that?!?")

The only modification to our electrical system was a kill switch. We went roundy roundy all weekend only to be bested by a Caddy with antlers. (Note to self, add antlers to the Bee theme...)

California has some SERIOUS competition in the IOE department. You gotta find something like a Vega powered Wartburg to contend out here. Yugos were dis-proven due to their tendency to do the Black-Lab belly roll every time they see cow dung.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

My question is "Index of Effluency?"  Maybe I'm too simple but I don't get it.  Shouldn't it be "efficiency"?   When I look it up to be sure I'm missing something:

n.  Effluence.

When you look up Effluence, you get this def:

1. the act or process of flowing out
2. something that flows out

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

No.

15 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-15 01:28 PM)

effluence = technical term for the stuff collected in porta-johns.

1982 honda civic? sure it's a honda, but it's pushing 30 years old, has a 3 barrel carb and CVCC , has mcpherson struts, honda has discontinued all the front end parts, and for this particular car, some fool cut the roof off of it a decade ago and then left it in a field for more than a few years.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

1982 honda civic? sure it's a honda, but it's pushing 30 years old, has a 3 barrel carb and CVCC , has mcpherson struts, honda has discontinued all the front end parts, and for this particulat car, some fool cut the roof off of it a decade ago and then left it in a field for more than a few years.

Handles too good.

You need something rare, bizarre or just plain hated. That is IOE...

Don't forget unreliable...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

psychoboy wrote:

A play on the old "Index of Efficiency" from Le Mans....

A Galaxy would be a good contender.  We got the IOE with our orange 67 Fury but I think we have this way to figured out to ever have a chance again.  Jay likes old American iron.  I bet the Caddy would have won IOE at Nelson if the Lada wasn't there.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

The Lada beat us fair and square. Our headgaskets cost us the trophy for sure, nothing we could do about it.

The head gasket and a bridge.  Damn bridge.

(just kidding, Bridge, don't listen to me.  You're a good bridge.)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Actually the bridge didn't do hugely significant damage. Had Summit been closer, we would have been back on the track much sooner...

Riktor wrote:
me wrote:

1982 honda civic? sure it's a honda, but it's pushing 30 years old, has a 3 barrel carb and CVCC , has mcpherson struts, honda has discontinued all the front end parts, and for this particular car, some fool cut the roof off of it a decade ago and then left it in a field for more than a few years.

Handles too good.

You need something rare, bizarre or just plain hated. That is IOE...

Don't forget unreliable...

"handles too good"? have you ever driven a second gen civic? those cars are what caused honda to put torsion (TORSION - like you'll find in a nissan or toyota or isuzu pickup) bars in the third gen.

some handling engineer at honda actually decided torsion bars were a step UP from the 2nd gen setup.

rare/bizzare/hated/unreliable....

i'm not sacrificing one of my N600s to Lemons....grassroots, maybe, but not Lemons

Team OK-Speed

DOOOO EETT

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

i can't.

i could, however, sell the one without a motor to someone who wanted to build a Lemons car.

Team OK-Speed

ronman wrote:

Actually the bridge didn't do hugely significant damage. Had Summit been closer, we would have been back on the track much sooner...

had summit given us the right parts the first time, we would've been on the track earlier too...........

It Ain't My Fault