Re: New rules for 2013... Wheel base and rear stays.

IIRC those were somewhere around 31/32 deg but I could be wrong. Later, in an attempt to stiffen the floppy Spitfire chassis I ran door bars up each side, connected where the cross bar (also the harness bar) met the hoop, then ran a second set of backstays to the same mount points as the main ones. It stiffened the dickens out of the body. Unfortunately I don't have pics of that setup.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

If we have too change it we will. Looking at that white Spitfire.. I can see how backstays with a 30deg angle would work and land in front of the rear tires.

The thing is will need to redesign our fuel cell guard as well.

Still, would rather not have to change anything if we can get grandfathered in.

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

socal.colin wrote:

Well I figure I will ask now.. So the Spitfire will pass the wheelbase rule as it is 83".

But we do not pass for the new rule for Backstays.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xlBe3sCt6W8/T_NMjyoExuI/AAAAAAAABn8/G0bJRPtsJw0/s500/514-UG-Butt12.jpg

Tell me what good on earth or any planet that window net is?

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

The window net keeps our heads in.. In that small car being close to the door head could go out the side in an accident.

Also with the combination of arm restraints it does actually help keep arms inside, not as well as a full net but still helps.

Keeps drivers from resting elbow on the door like so..

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gDh4JCZTbiQ/T_HUcam3tvI/AAAAAAAABnA/0dOqgubDeSo/s400/photo.JPG

My Crappy Blog

So you wear arm restraints.  Ok, settles that...

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

it's a vert...arm restraints are part of the rules.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

socal.colin wrote:

If we have too change it we will. Looking at that white Spitfire.. I can see how backstays with a 30deg angle would work and land in front of the rear tires.

Consider adding a second pair of rear down tubes in front of the rear tires?  I ASSUME that would be OK.  I don't know why the rule came about, though.

Our cage came out of some former race car of another make that happened to be the right size for our car.  the rear cage design wasn't what Lemons required.  it had more of a second halo going back to where the roof of a sedan would end, then tubes down to the rear strut towers.  we still have all that structure, PLUS two additional down tubes at about 45 degrees from the main hoop.

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/133885273.jpg

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

towerymt wrote:
socal.colin wrote:

Consider adding a second pair of rear down tubes in front of the rear tires?  I ASSUME that would be OK.  I don't know why the rule came about, though.

Our cage came out of some former race car of another make that happened to be the right size for our car.  the rear cage design wasn't what Lemons required.  it had more of a second halo going back to where the roof of a sedan would end, then tubes down to the rear strut towers.  we still have all that structure, PLUS two additional down tubes at about 45 degrees from the main hoop.

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/133885273.jpg

I read somewhere that the intent was to prevent a rear end crash from pushing the cage forward or compromising the integrity of the cage. If this is the case leaving the old bars would not be ok.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

I read somewhere that the intent was to prevent a rear end crash from pushing the cage forward or compromising the integrity of the cage. If this is the case leaving the old bars would not be ok.

I believe Brett is correct.

I have thought about what we could do.. Again would rather not have too but..

Could make new back stays that come down like the ones on Junkyard's white Spitfire.. Then remove the old backstays cut off above the yellow line marked in the image bellow. That way our fuel cell guard is still welded to the frame and also the old backstay spreader plates. In the event of a rear impact we still have extra protection from the fuel cell and our roll cage wont be pushed forward.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YX1l_28d6q4/UAXpNWSMOTI/AAAAAAAABoM/BN9euJDkbVg/s400/IMAG0230-1.jpg

My Crappy Blog

Do you have enough room to mount the fuel cell on the 'tray' where the stock tank was located? Maybe make a 'shelf'' to help hold it, then use some .080 aluminum to make a rear bulkhead?

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

We have a bulkhead separating the inside of the car from the trunk where the tank is so I do not think we could mount the fuel cell much deeper in.

I am out of state for work and can't check.. but if i remember correctly when accessing the 4 bolts that hold the leaf spring to the diff, the  bulk head is right up against that area. You can see how far back it is on the shelf in reference to the wheel well on the left side of this pic.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QlJDXHdwVpU/Tzb4rbDVe_I/AAAAAAAAA3U/9zJqaPxQ50g/s500/IMAG0228.jpg

My Crappy Blog

37 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2012-07-18 05:48 AM)

Your main hoop mounts are in the same place mine were, so that shouldn't be a problem when locating your backstays. It does look like the main hoop leans back a few degrees compared to mine, so you might want to straighten the hoop up first.

It looks like your bulkhead is in the same spot mine was which is basically the stock location. That should leave you ~10" above the shelf to hold part of the cell, then a framework could be built to support the part of the cell that hangs off into the trunk. The reason I bring this up is if you can put the cell on that 'shelf' above the diff then you have that much more 'crush space' between the tail and the cell. For that matter, you could run your backstays to the top of the rear inner fenders, then put a stock Spit tank back in, IIRC it holds ~10 gallons.

Thanks for suggestions. I will keep them in mind while getting a final say from EG when the rules are set in stone.

The safety equipment will stay how it is for this year, we have another car to build..

My Crappy Blog

socal.colin wrote:

Thanks for suggestions. I will keep them in mind while getting a final say from EG when the rules are set in stone.

The safety equipment will stay how it is for this year, we have another car to build..

Colin, e-mail me directly, we'll talk it over.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

DC Doug wrote:
Jackasic wrote:

sweet, the 560 is going to sneak in at ... 115!

The Parnelli Jones Galaxie is a more stately 119".

Waiting for Overzett to chime in here.

The Lemonlimo is 220 but could be shorter than 83 when the crusher is done with it!   LOL!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!