Topic: Finding wheels on other cars that will fit my car?

I know this is a pretty basic question, and it seems like there ought to be an easy way to determine this, but I can't seem to locate it.

My theoretical vehicle is a 2nd generation (1997-2005) GM U-Body minivan. The stock rims are 15x6, either aluminum or steel.

While brake upgrades are one reason to upgrade to 16" wheels, I'm probably too busy with other things to get around to that. I'm more interested in other rims, both stock size and larger, as a source of cheap tires - at the local Pull A Part, steel rims with tires are $15, alloy ones $25. I'm sure, given the sheer number of cars that they have, that some must have pretty sticky tires.

Thanks,
Christopher

Re: Finding wheels on other cars that will fit my car?

go to tirerack.com .  look up wheels for your car, then write down the diameter, width, offset and backspacing that they offer, then go find wheels that match.

Lots of online resources for this. A quick search got me this handy site.

The tough part is going to be backspacing and offset. Probably your best bet is to find which vehicles share the bolt pattern and then start test-fitting them at the junkyard to see what clears the suspension and what doesn't. Don't worry about body clearance, because Sawzalls are quite effective at solving that sort of interference problem.

I believe the U-van is a 5x115mm bolt circle & should be common with all of the W-car platforms.... look for Luminas, Grand Prixs, Regals, etc. & the back spacing shouldn't be an issue.  If you want to start crossing into non-GM apps, that is certainly possible, but you may run into issues with larger or smaller hub centers.

Eric

Don't use junkyard tires.  Get new ones.  [seriously.]

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

cbustapeck wrote:

I'm sure, given the sheer number of cars that they have, that some must have pretty sticky tires.

Um.. no.

See above.

Buy new tires.  Even if they're cheap all-seasons, they'll be better than whatever crap you find on a minivan or family car in a salvage yard.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We got eight awesome Falken Azenis, mounted and balanced on our junkyard wheels, for $500.  So four would have been around $250.  So worth it.  I did use wheels from Pick-N-Pull.  They're awesomely cheap on wheels there.  ($13!?  Jeez.)  Just check them out first, look for bends and cracks.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

Junkyard tires can be pretty scary, since you don't know how long they've been baking in the sun and losing integrity before you get them. They can look fine, but blowouts on the race track are very, very bad.

i just looked up 'GM U-body' before i posted something, and realized....

you're not running an astro/safari.....

and then i was too bummed to do any more looking.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

5x115 is EXTREMELY COMMON... Look on alot of Nissans as well as late model Toyotas. Not sure if the offset with work but you can always try. I know that Cavaliers and Scion tC's utilize that bolt pattern and come with 16's and 17's stock.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Also, look at tire size and cost before buying your wheels.  15" is sometimes a sweet spot - you can sometimes get good tires for cheaper than 16" and 17" equivalents.  Junk yards are full of 15" wheels.  Bigger wheels are more rare.

psychoboy wrote:

i just looked up 'GM U-body' before i posted something, and realized....

you're not running an astro/safari.....

and then i was too bummed to do any more looking.

Sorry. Maybe that should be your project. =P

MurileeMartin wrote:

Junkyard tires can be pretty scary, since you don't know how long they've been baking in the sun and losing integrity before you get them. They can look fine, but blowouts on the race track are very, very bad.

I know a guy who started his first race on trailer tires... by say #2 he'd already upgraded.  And he knew where those tired had been, what they were doing, and exactly how old they were.

Junkyard tired would be hella scary.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:

Junkyard tired would be hella scary.

So to keep it interesting we should race double wide through each turn with only junkyard tires... big_smile

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

15 (edited by X-args 2009-10-16 11:20 AM)

Riktor wrote:

5x115 is EXTREMELY COMMON... Look on alot of Nissans as well as late model Toyotas. Not sure if the offset with work but you can always try. I know that Cavaliers and Scion tC's utilize that bolt pattern and come with 16's and 17's stock.

Cavaliers and all J/N body (N body until '99) cars are 5x100.

The 5x115 pattern is the 'Mid/Large GM FWD' pattern, and includes W body and A body FWD.
Lots of junkyard wheels available!

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

16 (edited by LTDScott 2009-10-19 09:29 AM)

A lot of newer Mopars (300, Charger, etc) use 5x100 too.

EDIT: I meant 5x115!!! 5x115 wheels will fit 5x114.3. I had Dodge Charger steelies on my LTD, but it's not ideal.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

17 (edited by ronman 2009-10-18 10:22 AM)

Chrysler LX-cars (as well as Mustangs, Rangers, Crown Vics, and a ton of other things) are 5x114.3, or, for the metrically-challenged among us, 5x4.5".

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

X-args wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Cavaliers and all J/N body (N body until '99) cars are 5x100.

The 5x115 pattern is the 'Mid/Large GM FWD' pattern, and includes W body and A body FWD.
Lots of junkyard wheels available!

You're right... I went special-ed on my measurements...

ronman wrote:

Chrysler LX-cars (as well as Mustangs, Rangers, Crown Vics, and a ton of other things) are 5x114.3, or, for the metrically-challenged among us, 5x4.5".

You know with aluminum wheels... that .7mm could easy be WORKED out of the wheel... Especially if they are hub-centric designs...

Sons of STIG

ronman wrote:

The Chrysler LX cars are actually 5x115 (see my correct post above).

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Ahh, ok, I know where my confusion came from. I had a set of 300 Touring wheels on my '94 LHS, which was 114.3. Too many damn numbers to remember.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

Ahh, ok, I know where my confusion came from. I had a set of 300 Touring wheels on my '94 LHS, which was 114.3. Too many damn numbers to remember.

agreed...

Sons of STIG

On a realted subject I'm looking for 4 X 100 15 inch rims.  What else runs those?  {going to look at Phil's linky}

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

On a realted subject I'm looking for 4 X 100 15 inch rims.  What else runs those?  {going to look at Phil's linky}

steel wheels? your are mostly limited to 01-05 civics, and they can be hard to find.

alloys? there's a billion options, find your local ricer gang and buy something from them.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:
Jer wrote:

steel wheels? your are mostly limited to 01-05 civics, and they can be hard to find.

alloys? there's a billion options, find your local ricer gang and buy something from them.

I was under the impression that almost all eg+ civics and da+ integras ran 4x100 unless they have a five lug conversion.

Sons of STIG

Jer wrote:

Miata, MX-3 & Civic wheels can be pricey, & Chevette wheels are tough to find.  Cheapest option I found were mid-90s Saturn S-series, 15x6 alloys.  Only problem is the offset is almost too deep for the Mazdas, so we've been running with 5mm spacers.  I bought 9 out of one local yard alone at $30-35 apiece.  www.car-part.com works good for finding specific items, once you know what you're looking for!

Eric