Re: Finding wheels on other cars that will fit my car?

EBudman wrote:

www.car-part.com works good for finding specific items, once you know what you're looking for!

Eric

I can't promote this website more than for this site. Car-Part is the BEST source for parts. They don't have all the salvage yards but they have a hell of a lot of them.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

27 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-22 08:38 AM)

Riktor wrote:
psychoboy wrote:
Jer wrote:

On a realted subject I'm looking for 4 X 100 15 inch rims.  What else runs those?  {going to look at Phil's linky}

steel wheels? your are mostly limited to 01-05 civics, and they can be hard to find.

alloys? there's a billion options, find your local ricer gang and buy something from them.

I was under the impression that almost all eg+ civics and da+ integras ran 4x100 unless they have a five lug conversion.

they did....but they didn't come with 15" steel wheels.

civic started the 4x100 pattern on the 2nd gen, and kept it thru the 7th gen.
2nd, 3rd, and most 4ths got 13" steel wheels. 5th and 6ths saw 13" and 14" steels, 7ths got 14" and 15" steels.

prelude started the 4x100 pattern on the 1st gen and kept it thru the 3rd. 1st and 2nd gens got 13", 3rds got 13" and 14" steels.

accord ran the 4x100 pattern on the 2nd and 3rd gens only, 13s and 14s (mostly 13s)

integra has been 4x100 from the beginning (except for the US type-r car in the late 3rd gen...it is 5-lug). most of those cars came on 14" and 15" alloys, the few base cars with steel wheels were 14".

like i said, there are a ton of 15" honda alloys available in 4x100 (5th, 6th, 7th gen civics, 2nd, 3rd gen tegs) but you'll make money selling them to a honda kid and tracking down steelies or cheeper alloys (rota, american racing, eagle, KMC, progressive, etc.)

if you want 15" wheels in a FWD offset and 4x100 pattern, 01-05 civic is just about your only choice (unless you can find some old-school american racing nuggets).  the base 07-08 fit runs a narrow 4x100 15" steel wheel with a pretty high offset, as does the base 2010 insight, but i dunno if you can get them cheep or find decent rubber for them.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

one last oddball option:

there are dual pattern steel wheels out there, usually sold as winter wheels and mounted to winter/studded tires.

i don't know if they are available in 15" but i have a pair of 14" wheels with the 4x100 and 4x114.3/115 pattern. i use them for spares when i go pick up near-salvage cars, since all the cars i buy run those two patterns.

you might look in northern state craigslists and see if you can track down a set. if not, tirerack can probably get them new for you.

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:
Jer wrote:

On a realted subject I'm looking for 4 X 100 15 inch rims.  What else runs those?  {going to look at Phil's linky}

alloys? there's a billion options, find your local ricer gang and buy something from them.

this.  4x100 and 15" diameter might be the easiest size to find.  off the top of my head, wheels that should fit (i'm guessing for the miata or the Rolla):

-miatas
-proteges
-civics
-corollas
-mr2s
-old VWs
-E30s
-many other older japanese econoboxes

seriously, there are dozens of thousands of options for cheap 4x100 wheels.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

30 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-23 05:51 AM)

Buzz Killington wrote:
psychoboy wrote:
Jer wrote:

this.  4x100 and 15" diameter might be the easiest size to find.  off the top of my head, wheels that should fit (i'm guessing for the miata or the Rolla):

-miatas
-proteges
-civics
-corollas
-mr2s
-old VWs
-E30s
-many other older japanese econoboxes

seriously, there are dozens of thousands of options for cheap 4x100 wheels.

i've been building hondas for 20 years, and all i build are 4x100 cars (except for my antique 2-cyl cars). i've been working at an import salvage yard for almost 10 years, looking for wheels and tires for the 20 plus hondas i own.

there are lots of factory alloy options in 15", even more cheep aftermarket alloy options in 15"... (sell the former, buy the latter, pocket the difference)

but if you are looking for steel 15" wheels in the proper offset and a 4x100 pattern, your choices are damned limited.

you might get lucky and find a salvage yard that'll sell you a cheep set of aftermarket alloys. most salvage yards don't wanna fool with non-stock stuff, so they'll dump them just to get them out of the way.

on the other hand, with recent aluminum prices, a lot of salvage yards will just scrap wheels en masse instead of bothering trying to sell them.

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:

if you want 15" wheels in a FWD offset and 4x100 pattern, 01-05 civic is just about your only choice (unless you can find some old-school american racing nuggets).  the base 07-08 fit runs a narrow 4x100 15" steel wheel with a pretty high offset, as does the base 2010 insight, but i dunno if you can get them cheep or find decent rubber for them.

'99+ Miatas (and some earlier models) had optional 15" alloy wheels with a 40mm or 45mm offset and even 16" wheels for some years/models. We went with some inexpensive 16" wheels from the Tire Rack so we could fit some decent tires as there really isn't much decent available in 15" these days.

32 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-10-23 11:19 AM)

Solracer wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

'99+ Miatas (and some earlier models) had optional 15" alloy wheels with a 40mm or 45mm offset and even 16" wheels for some years/models. We went with some inexpensive 16" wheels from the Tire Rack so we could fit some decent tires as there really isn't much decent available in 15" these days.

The 15-inch issue hurts me too. I have a Fox Mustang and 12 wheels, but there isn't much in 225/70R 15 that's 190, affordable and decent. And I need the 500 bucks for belts, hoses and pumps...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

tires and wheels aren't included in the budget.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

wheels and tires = safety items.

(personally, i think wheels should count towards budget, tires should not)

Team OK-Speed