1 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 06:19 AM)

Topic: build what you can't buy

Honda has been generous enough to discontinue most of the front end parts of our 30 yr old crapcan. this includes the front ball joints, which are welded into the lower control arms.

there's not a huge population of people demanding front end parts for 2nd gen civics, so autozone and o'reillys just laughed at us.

so, i decided to make what i wanted.

i present the halfway point of 'LeMon Spec' front control arms, now with adjustable camber and replaceable ball joints:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2469/4015995941_c3fde06ac5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/4016758344_2694fa6124.jpg

stock control arm, used VW Beetle tie rod, new Chinese replacement tie rod end, bugpack bumpsteer correction bushing.

i got a whole car's worth of parts for $20.

i'll be bushing and boxing the nut end of the tube for support, but i'm intentionally making the tie rod end the weak link. it's a whopping $4 part.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Re: build what you can't buy

Hey that's cool...

we ran into that problem for the Brava's transmission mount. The rubber had gone all gooey and you could move the rear of the transmission around by hand (the broken center driveshaft mount didn't help either).  New mounts are NLA so we just drilled through all three metal plates of the mount and bolted it with a Mercedes 300D engine bolt which hopefully is up to the shearing force.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

WOOT... good job.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Awesome!  But holy crap that's a lot of filler weld.  That must have taken a while...

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

it's not really as much as it looks like, but yeah, i'll burn a roll of mig wire without even trying.

i've always heard that the weld is strongest part, so i just figure....if i build the whole thing from weld, it'll never fail.

Team OK-Speed

Brilliant! BTW, can you make the pipe bender work without flattening the tube?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

psychoboy wrote:

Honda has been generous enough to discontinue most of the front end parts of our 30 yr old crapcan. this includes the front ball joints, which are welded into the lower control arms.

there's not a huge population of people demanding front end parts for 2nd gen civics, so autozone and o'reillys just laughed at us.

so, i decided to make what i wanted.

i present the halfway point of 'LeMon Spec' front control arms, now with adjustable camber and replaceable ball joints:

stock control arm, used VW Beetle tie rod, new Chinese replacement tie rod end, bugpack bumpsteer correction bushing.

i got a whole car's worth of parts for $20.

i'll be bushing and boxing the nut end of the tube for support, but i'm intentionally making the tie rod end the weak link. it's a whopping $4 part.

Are you sure that a tie rod end is going to be heavy duty enough to replace a ball joint? I also have doubt that the threaded shaft of the tie rod is up to the task of handling ball joint duty. Another possible problem is the "whopping $4" new Chinese replacement tie rod end. I have seen Chinese full size ball joint fail. Your tie rod end is only about half the size of that. There are mass-produced weld in threaded collars that are available at most true racing supply houses that will except a popular Chrysler screw in ball joint. Almost any auto supply house stocks this ball joint on the shelf. If you are interested I'll look and give you the Moog part number. I can also direct you to a supplier of the collars. Not trying to criticize your hard work, but just trying to point out some possible short comings of the design.

psychoboy wrote:

it's not really as much as it looks like, but yeah, i'll burn a roll of mig wire without even trying.

i've always heard that the weld is strongest part, so i just figure....if i build the whole thing from weld, it'll never fail.

True, but weld is also brittle. It can shatter instead of bending. Murphy's law will come into play and it could shatter at a most bad time. Again, I am not trying to criticize you. Just trying to point out some possible areas to think about.

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

coulda used a drop in ball joint and just mount to your existing arm.... Nissan Sentra complete arm has replacable joints, and heck, might just bolt up.... (Just replaced a ball joint on the wifes beater, so fresh in my mind)....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

9 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 10:02 AM)

jimeditorial wrote:

Brilliant! BTW, can you make the pipe bender work without flattening the tube?

yes, if it's thck wall enough, and if we just bend a little section at a time. we'll not be using that for our cage, tho....just some of our other bracing.

E-Speed wrote:

Are you sure that a tie rod end is going to be heavy duty enough to replace a ball joint?

these civics are mcpherson cars, so all the weight of the chassis is on the kunckles; the lower control arm is little more than a locator. this car came with this size ball joint from the factory, and i've pulled hundreds of pounds out of it, putting even less stress on the component.

I also have doubt that the threaded shaft of the tie rod is up to the task of handling ball joint duty.

VWs (sand buggies, rock crawlers and everything else you can make from them) bend the tie rod tubes before they bend the threaded shaft. i'm figuring that trend will attempt to continue

Another possible problem is the "whopping $4" new Chinese replacement tie rod end. I have seen Chinese full size ball joint fail. Your tie rod end is only about half the size of that.

we'll be flogging the crap out of this car before our shot at Lemons, so we'll discover if china's most industrious 8 year olds can make a good ball joint or not. if not, we'll have to bump up to the german version

There are mass-produced weld in threaded collars that are available at most true racing supply houses that will except a popular Chrysler screw in ball joint.

no popular Chrysler screw in ball joint (especially ones favored by true racers) is going to fit in the tapers of our civic's front knuckles. having an indestructible part that won't fit in the car does us little good.

Almost any auto supply house stocks this ball joint on the shelf. If you are interested I'll look and give you the Moog part number. I can also direct you to a supplier of the collars.

i don't know how many chryslers use that balljoint, and how many years they were in production, but i have a nagging belief that VW's production numbers surpass them.  (these tie rod ends were used in all the balljoint beetles, 1968 - june 2003).

we've got a real race car shop about a mile from my lean-to, they've got all the high dollar race car parts i could want for my $500 car.

Not trying to criticize your hard work, but just trying to point out some possible short comings of the design.

thanks for the insights, i'm sure our testing process will prove something.. if my plan fails, we'll use yours.

psychoboy wrote:

True, but weld is also brittle. It can shatter instead of bending. Murphy's law will come into play and it could shatter at a most bad time. Again, I am not trying to criticize you. Just trying to point out some possible areas to think about.

man, i wish al gore could have invented sarcasm tags when he invested the internet.

Spinnetti wrote:

coulda used a drop in ball joint and just mount to your existing arm.... Nissan Sentra complete arm has replacable joints, and heck, might just bolt up.... (Just replaced a ball joint on the wifes beater, so fresh in my mind)....

i looked at a few of the drop in options, but most of the drop ins would require us killing the stock arm to get old one out (being welded in and all). also, the reason honda welded them in the first place is due to clearance issues. a drop in wants a sleeve, and a sleeve wants to be where the brake rotor already is.

swapping in arms from some other car was an option as well (looked 3rd gen civic arms pretty closely), but the 2nd gen civic uses its sway bar as a radius rod (that's the big hole in the middle of the arm). nothing from the last 20 years does that, so anything we found that might work is likely going to have the same issues we already have.

....and we still run into the ball joint size issue. from 84 on, honda uses a larger lower balljoint than they did in the second gens. my lower is the same size as all the uppers from 88 on.  (mostly, because the lower isn't a weight bearing joint in this car)

Team OK-Speed

Dude you just quoted everything without saying A THING...

USELESS POST!!!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

11 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 10:02 AM)

Riktor wrote:

USELESS POST!!!

this board doesn't have a multi-quote function....and i hit submit instead of back, when i was collecting posts.

Team OK-Speed

Welders: They make shit happen!

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

psychoboy wrote:
Riktor wrote:

USELESS POST!!!

this board doesn't have a multi-quote function....and i hit submit instead of back, when i was collecting posts.

That's what I figured but I still have to drop the shit-factor on ya... NO ONE IS IMMUNE!!!

Sons of STIG

14 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 10:53 AM)

yeah, i'm used to being a mod on many of the boards i frequent, so i have better control over my spastic posts.

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:

Maybe you can't get them from the dealer, but www.RockAuto.com has them available and you can choose between Raybestos, Moog, and ACDelco.

Aaron

1999 Astro (Green the Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 200k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy the $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 330k+ miles on the orig eng and trans, $30 eBay fuel pump

ihatemybike wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

Maybe you can't get them from the dealer, but www.RockAuto.com has them available and you can choose between Raybestos, Moog, and ACDelco.

Or, if you want OEM parts, Majestic Honda seems to have a pretty impressive inventory.

There isn't much fun in that, but it's good to know that they are there.

A 2nd-gen Civic in Lemons? Hooray!

Good deal then. Where do you normally run? I don't want to be near you when you are "testing" that over stressed Chinese tie rod/ball joint. The idiot that you will kill will most likely be me, not you. Dude you seriously need to re-think using a cheap tie rod as a ball joint for a race car. There are somethings that just should not be shortcut, even on a $500. race car. "VWs (sand buggies, rock crawlers and everything else you can make from them) bend the tie rod tubes before they bend the threaded shaft. i'm figuring that trend will attempt to continue" Name one rock crawler, VW, or sand buggy that has successfully used a Chinese tie rod end as a ball joint. It's not just your life that you are going to gamble that that tie rod will work as a ball joint.

19 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 02:45 PM)

ihatemybike wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

thanks, i'll keep them in mind.  tho i'm still not hip on dropping $100 plus on control arms.

on the other hand, i'm not so sure about their catalog accuracy.

along with lower control arms they offer upper ball joints for my car (which is a neat trick for a McPherson strut car).

cbustapeck wrote:

Or, if you want OEM parts, Majestic Honda seems to have a pretty impressive inventory.

There isn't much fun in that, but it's good to know that they are there.

I've dealt with majestic before. they only have what they can get from honda...and they take two weeks at a minimum.

at the same time, they offer 30% off MSRP, while i can get 10% over cost at my local dealer.

MurileeMartin wrote:

A 2nd-gen Civic in Lemons? Hooray!

i'm printing this out for BS-tech.

E-Speed wrote:

Good deal then. Where do you normally run? I don't want to be near you when you are "testing" that over stressed Chinese tie rod/ball joint.

stay away from the Oklahoma County Sherriff's training facility the second weekend of every month, and you should be OK.

The idiot that you will kill will most likely be me, not you.

little bit of hyperbole there, don't you think? how many lower ball joints have failed in Lemons history? how many people have died as a result?

Dude you seriously need to re-think using a cheap tie rod as a ball joint for a race car. There are somethings that just should not be shortcut, even on a $500. race car.

i'm not sure where you think this deadly failure point is going to manifest itself. your tone suggests that you've had these parts fail before on some lighter duty. could you elaborate?

"VWs (sand buggies, rock crawlers and everything else you can make from them) bend the tie rod tubes before they bend the threaded shaft. i'm figuring that trend will attempt to continue" Name one rock crawler, VW, or sand buggy that has successfully used a Chinese tie rod end as a ball joint.

i've been working for almost 10 years at a shop that's been selling these parts for 45 years....i'll believe that history over a guy's opinion on the interwebnet.

It's not just your life that you are going to gamble that that tie rod will work as a ball joint.

more hyperbole.

this tie rod end is the same size as the stock piece. probably damned similar to a joint i'd find in one of those rock auto arms above....

why is my use wrong, and their use right?

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:

these civics are mcpherson cars, so all the weight of the chassis is on the kunckles; the lower control arm is little more than a locator. this car came with this size ball joint from the factory, and i've pulled hundreds of pounds out of it, putting even less stress on the component.

The static weight of the chassis is mostly on the knuckle, but if you plan on doing any cornering (there seems to be a lot of that at Lemons) you will find that the lower ball joint is under a lot of lateral load.  I'm not saying that your design will necessarily fail -- I'd just hate to see someone less experienced take your statement at face value and build something really skatey based on the logic that the lower ball joint is little more than a locator, and sees little load.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

that's why i repeatedly note 'on this car', referring to the fact that this car weighs almost nothing. i've been hacking at suspensions for going on 20 years now. if someone reads these posts and thinks, "i'm gonna try that on my land barge" there's not much i can do to talk them out of it.

at best, all i can do is what others in this thread have tired to do....but i'll attempt to keep the hyperbole to a minimum and make logically based arguments. unless someone can show me something that suggests the ball/taper in this tierod is structurally inferior to the exact same size ball/taper that came with the car and serviced it for 30 years....or if someone can show me something that suggests the 5/8" rod will fail where the 16ga pressed steel would not...then i might reconsider my concept.

like i've said, we're gonna try it. at worst, we break something in a controlled environment, which is kinda to be expected when prepping for a race, especially Lemons. if something breaks, we'll decide on an different course of action. back to stock, ream the kuckles and pray i can cram a bigger ball joint in there, whatever.

in any event, i'll be sure to get pics and video of the potential carnage (and the resulting ambulance/hearse ride).

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:

that's why i repeatedly note 'on this car', referring to the fact that this car weighs almost nothing. i've been hacking at suspensions for going on 20 years now. if someone reads these posts and thinks, "i'm gonna try that on my land barge" there's not much i can do to talk them out of it.

at best, all i can do is what others in this thread have tired to do....but i'll attempt to keep the hyperbole to a minimum and make logically based arguments. unless someone can show me something that suggests the ball/taper in this tierod is structurally inferior to the exact same size ball/taper that came with the car and serviced it for 30 years....or if someone can show me something that suggests the 5/8" rod will fail where the 16ga pressed steel would not...then i might reconsider my concept.

like i've said, we're gonna try it. at worst, we break something in a controlled environment, which is kinda to be expected when prepping for a race, especially Lemons. if something breaks, we'll decide on an different course of action. back to stock, ream the kuckles and pray i can cram a bigger ball joint in there, whatever.

in any event, i'll be sure to get pics and video of the potential carnage (and the resulting ambulance/hearse ride).

I bet that you argued your position that nothing is going to go wrong when your Mama told you not to play with matches. To openly tell everyone that you plan on making them an unwitting participant in your experiment that a Chinese tie rod will withstand the loads of a ball joint that it was not designed to handle is insane. If your Chinese tie rod/ball joint experiment fails, who will your victim be in the hearst that your experiment just killed? And you think it will be funny to video the hearst? Please do everyone a favor and stay home. Don't tempt Lemons perfect 0 incident related fatality score, the one heart attack is more than ten million times enough. Regardless of what you may think, Lemons racing is dangerous enough with out somebody like you. Don't screw around with safety. This is not a place to save a buck.

And to answer a prior question that you ask, I don't know how many ball joints have failed in Lemons. That is not the problem at hand.  0 is the number of Chinese tie rod end operating as a ball joint failures because there has been 0 fools attempt to experiment with 100 plus participants lives.

1) Car companies make two seperate parts, ball joints & tie rod ends, for a reason. If they were interchangeable for fit form and function they would make just one part number not two.

2) Companies make real race car ball joints for a reason.  They don't sell tie rod ends as ball joints.
Racers are cheap by nature. If ths little tie rod / ball joint swap was doable other racers would have already tried it and it would be common practice.

3) Yes your car may be lighter than stock but that does not mean that your backyard engineering is up to the loads & stresses of racing a crapcan. And no, there is no way of calculating what strength is needed.

4) Please tell me you will be putting lots of solo test miles on a track (preferrably with a driver with no dependents) before you competition debut.

5) Finally  - please tell me that you are a west coast team thus lettiing me sleep again knowing that you are not likely to crash into me (back here on the east coast) when you reach the limits of the design.

I'm not critisizing your attempt to make a new control arm.  I am just VERY skeptical about your choice of parts.  Please get a real ball joint.  Your life , hell your car, is worth more than $4.00.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

E-Speed wrote:

I bet that you argued your position that nothing is going to go wrong when your Mama told you not to play with matches. To openly tell everyone that you plan on making them an unwitting participant in your experiment that a Chinese tie rod will withstand the loads of a ball joint that it was not designed to handle is insane.

here's a thought...try reading and comprehending what i post BEFORE you decide what your position shall be and start your railing.

i've got over 6 months to beat the ever loving fuck out of this thing before any of the LeMonheads are exposed to it. perhaps you missed that part where i mentioned the autocrossing this car will see monthly between now and then. single car on the track, every bit as punishing as Lemons can be, and it won't be given a break. if something does fail...it'll be me or another member of my team that is in the car when it happens.

lets assume for a moment that the ball joint fails, what will actually happen? the wheel assembly will tuck into the wheel well, the tire will probably suffer some injury, and the whole car will come to a rapid stop, dragging a front tire.

i don't see a whole lot of room for death, dismemberment, or general havokry in that.  exciting for a minute or two? sure. instant death? hardly.

If your Chinese tie rod/ball joint experiment fails, who will your victim be in the hearst that your experiment just killed? And you think it will be funny to video the hearst?

no, i think it's funny that you equate a failing ball joint to instant death.

....or sad, i'm not sure which.

oh, and since it would likely me be driving, all by myself, i guess that guy in the 'hearst' will be me. i'll make sure someone gets the video to you so you can be the first to say 'i told him so!!!"

(man, i wish there was a sarcasm font)

Please do everyone a favor and stay home. Don't tempt Lemons perfect 0 incident related fatality score, the one heart attack is more than ten million times enough. Regardless of what you may think, Lemons racing is dangerous enough with out somebody like you. Don't screw around with safety. This is not a place to save a buck.

And to answer a prior question that you ask, I don't know how many ball joints have failed in Lemons. That is not the problem at hand.

that is exactly the problem at hand. you are concerned about my lower ball joint failing and killing everyone in attendance, but you have no knowledge of the number of other people's lower ball joints failing, or the casualties caused by such. oh, wait....nobody has yet died due to a lower ball joint failure.

so...why will my lower ball joint failure kill someone when nobody else's has?

i can certainly understand your concern of failure...i share similar concerns. the difference is, you are concerned about something you seem to have no knowledge or experience with and that lack of knowledge is contributing to this farcical 'you're gonna kill someone' rhetoric, and i am concerned about the realities of the actual situation based on the experience i've had with these parts and suspensions in general.

0 is the number of Chinese tie rod end operating as a ball joint failures because there has been 0 fools attempt to experiment with 100 plus participants lives.

do you know that? you don't even know how many lower ball joint failures have happened during the series (for the record, neither do i...but i'll assume there's been at least one, and it didn't kill anybody). surely, you haven't done tech inspection on all those cars....

again with the rhetorical hyperbole that you've shown little to no basis for.

if i hadn't mentioned they were the Chinese ends, and said they were the German ones, would that satisfy your concerns? are you just bigoted against China's spotty production records?

i'll ask again:

although you've expressed tons of fear, you haven't explained how you rationalize any of it.

you are sure this will break (tho you've not decided how or why) and you are sure this breakage will injure or kill someone (tho you've not explained the mechanism that would cause this to happen).

so...please, give me some rational explanation for your hyperbolic concerns. you have all this fear, i have to assume you have something backing it up. (did a chinese tie-rod kill a favorite uncle or something?)

explain how you think this part will fail; will the threaded stub shear? will the taper break off the ball? will the ball casing split? will the FSM decide i have divided by zero and form a black hole, sucking the track and all the competitors into it?

explain how the failure will result in anything beyond a fubar'd tire/wheel and a visit with a tow-truck operator; will the kunckle assembly come off the strut, brake line, and steering rack and fly into the spectators? will the wheel cramming itself into the wheel well cause the steering and braking systems to stop responding, resulting in the car careening out of control like a runaway audi? is the inside of whatever you think will fail (the ball, the taper, or the rod) actually full of vaporous uranium, which will give everyone in a 60 mile radius radiation poisoning?

suggesting that a broken lower ball joint will kill anyone is right up there with suggesting the illuminati are creating chem-trails for mind control purposes. sure....it might be happening, but it's damned hard to prove, and there's no real evidence to suggest it.

express all the concerns you like, but temper them with reality. otherwise you come off sounding like a crackpot who just wants something to rail about.

Team OK-Speed

Spud wrote:

1) Car companies make two seperate parts, ball joints & tie rod ends, for a reason. If they were interchangeable for fit form and function they would make just one part number not two.

i'm using a tie rod from a bigger heavier car as a ball joint in a smaller lighter car that is the same style and size as the original part.

also, tierods and lower control arms do different things and need different adjustments, even if the balls were the same the linkage between them at the car would have to be different.

2) Companies make real race car ball joints for a reason.  They don't sell tie rod ends as ball joints.

uh, yeah...they do. for some applications.

Racers are cheap by nature. If ths little tie rod / ball joint swap was doable other racers would have already tried it and it would be common practice.

how many other racers are racing this style of car with this suspension setup?

3) Yes your car may be lighter than stock but that does not mean that your backyard engineering is up to the loads & stresses of racing a crapcan. And no, there is no way of calculating what strength is needed.

correct. but i can determine the stresses the parts i consider using see in their normal lives and how that will compare to the use i want for them. i've been building irregular suspensions for a long time, this isn't my first rodeo.

4) Please tell me you will be putting lots of solo test miles on a track (preferrably with a driver with no dependents) before you competition debut.

again with the death theme. would YOU care to explain how a ball joint failure results in immediate death?

and yes, as i've mentioned a couple times, we'll be flogging the piss out of this thing. long before it gets near anyone else.

5) Finally  - please tell me that you are a west coast team thus lettiing me sleep again knowing that you are not likely to crash into me (back here on the east coast) when you reach the limits of the design.

central America team, we could end up anywhere.

I'm not critisizing your attempt to make a new control arm.  I am just VERY skeptical about your choice of parts.  Please get a real ball joint.  Your life , hell your car, is worth more than $4.00.

those parts retail for $7, i happen to work at the place that sells them. maybe i should opt for the $12/$18 german ones, instead.

'real ball joint' = 'race car parts' = parts that won't fit in my car without employing a machinist to recut the taper in the spindle (which will result in some people complaining that i'm thinning down the structure and we're all gonna die!!!)

Team OK-Speed