Topic: Drivers Stint: How long in the thick of it?

I'm sure the day of we will hind out but I was wondering how long the usual drivers stint was for your team.
We have 6 drivers total in a VW Golf so fuel should last in our 13 gallon tank. Wondering how long most people run one driver.

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Re: Drivers Stint: How long in the thick of it?

This is what I posted in the other thread:

Two hours for the experienced (not just Lemons but with NASA and/or SCCA enduros) teams is typical.  You may only get one or two turns in the car depending on the number of drivers and length of the race.

If it's your first time in a race car, half hour to 45 minute stints should be the norm.

The first time I came out of a racecar after only 30 minutes, I was completely exhausted and useless for about an hour afterwards. 

On the Lemons side of things, you may want to rotate drivers through a little more quickly to make sure everyone gets a turn behind the wheel.  Anything can happen on track.  In SC this year, one of our cars rolled before two of the drivers had a chance to drive.  Luckily, we had multiple cars there and they hopped in for a stint in another car.  So you are going to want to run shorter stints anyway.

Unless you actually believe that you have a valid shot of winning, and trust me you don't, then you shouldn't subject your drivers to professional levels of racing seat time.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Perfect and exactly what I was thinking. We are way new to this. Two of our drivers might want out sooner then we tell them:-) If we can finish the race...at any place, I feel we would have won. I really want everyone to get a chance to drive. that is the main thing. 30min stints to start and then I guess we'll see where we are.
Thanks a lot for the response.

FYI, our team had a driver not want back in the car after their first stint.  I don't know how often that happens but the car wasn't 100% and they were apprehensive about going back on track in it.  You must let every driver know they can get out of the car at any time.  Muchismo be damned, you don't want someone on track who thinks they can't handle it.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I will be driving ALL day Sunday at Reno, we'll see how that works out lol Lots of water in a camel back and power bar gel packs!!

Our longest stint we have done is 2 and a half hours for a driver, but that is pretty brutal.  I'd think trying to go 5 hours on Sunday in Reno would be a little dangerous, it's going to be really hot out there.  What we have run into is the drivers get fatigued and dehydrated before they realize it then they make a mistake.  Our goal is to do 2 hour stints at the Reno race but it really depends on how hot it is.  At Toledo last year the longest we could do was an hour and a half because it was so hot and humid.

Want to put a disclaimer in here, if you are new I do NOT suggest trying to do that long of a stint.  It can be very dangerous if you have never raced before.  If it is your first time out I would not go for more than an hour.  If this is your first Lemons race you probably won't have a chance to win.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Danger makes it more fun right?!?! hahaha. Try going 20+ hours straight in the truck at the Baja 1000 thats fun and lots of "danger" there!!

I do agree that if it is your first race or have only done a few races before you should limit yourself to about an hour and then see how you feel. If your good to go I would say go longer but just have a driver ready after an hour incase you feel the need to get out.

At AMP last year, the winning car had two pit stops.  Once on Saturday, and once on Sunday.  Then at T'hill the same crew (the Kriders) showed up with a 32 gallon gas tank.  But since they had a 1200 lap penalty  it really didn't matter.  They did put in a ton of laps though.
Our first race was at AMP with a real POS.  The temperature was in the 90's and we had 6 drivers, all new to Lemons.  Thinking the POS wouldn't last in the heat, we decided on 20 minute stints.  Sure enough, after everyone had their first stint the sucker died.  Amen.
Then at t'hill, we left our rookie out too long and he did poo poo (crashed).
Good Luck!

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

Long stints make you drive like crap, and then you get penalties- some moron spins out in front of you and you whack his heap because your reflexes are shot, etc. Avoiding penalties = key to winning Lemons. Driver change time takes about 1/10 the time of even the easiest penalties, so you're better off doing nice short stints and staying sharp.

Remember, you'll be in thin air (4500 feet) so you sea-level types will already have the edge taken off your mental processes to start with. Temperatures are expected to be in the 80s with like 5% humidity, so you'll be sweating out your precious bodily fluids like you wouldn't believe.

Camelback is a good idea even for 30 minute stints.
Few few drivers are already a little worried after watching some of the videos so who knows what will happen. Hell, I was nervous at my first autoX event and thats just a bunch of cones! A lap or tw omight calm there nerves...or make them worse. I guess time will tell all of that.
Not sure what the temperatures will be like at the NE event this year but just sitting is a car with a suit on is hot.

We just did a track-day at PIR yesterday and the temps were in the 80's.. It was a perfect dry run, but MAN was my shirt soaked.  I feel sorry for people that are sharing suits in this race (including myself)... you better REALLY like your teammate smile

After 25 minutes, I was pretty drained... but we are going to try the "stay in as long as you want to drive" approach this time.  We had a spreadsheet last time of driver schedules, and it was nearly impossible to stick to it.

My longest stint was 2 hours at Thill, but 60% of it was under yellow.

We strongly recommend capping your stints at one hour for all of the reasons mentioned above, but we haven't made it into a rule because A) we can't really enforce it, and B) there are guys who are qualified/conditioned to go longer. Where we run into trouble is dudes that push themselves too hard without knowing it--being honest with yourself ahead of time goes a long way. And, as a partial threat, if we start to see serious safety problems stemming from too-long stints, we WILL find a way to enforce stint limits. So police yourself--but make sure you don't screw it up for everyone else.

As others have mentioned, with our crap cans I think it's a good idea to do shorter stints in the beginning just so all of your drivers get a chance behind the wheel. Our car broke after 2 hours on our first outing and one of our drivers got screwed. I felt REALLY bad about it, since he put in a ton of work on the car.

Just make sure you stay hydrated. I did a 1.5 hour at Altamont 2 in '07 where it was about 100 degrees the whole weekend. I felt fine in the car but as soon as I got out I felt very woozy. Not smart.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I'll be a rookie at Fernley (although not a rookie at motorsports) and I'm wondering how you experienced hot weather guys stay hydrated...I'm thinking of a sports bottle with with a flexi straw in a holder above the shifter...where I'm from (Toronto) we generally worry about freezing in the car, not overheating! Will thin air be a factor?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Will thin air be a factor?

Yes, the altitude is enough to cause some low-oxygen-related mental sluggishness. It's not really noticeable when you're just walking around, but it will slow down your reactions and make you feel punch-drunk more quickly.

We have a cup holder behind the driver with a tube that goes over the drivers shoulder, kinda sorta but not really a camel back system.  It allows the driver to take the tube and drink from it during the race.  Saying that it is hard to take a drink unless under yellow.  I drove for over an hour at Toledo and couldn't take a drink because they wouldn't throw any yellows!  Hard to go through the banked turn and drink and not crash at the same time.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

This is a re-post from the "Our Crappy Race" section and a discussion about the weather forecast for Reno-Fernley this weekend:

"MurileeMartin wrote: 51% humidity will make it a bit less hellish than expected, but it's gonna feel like 190 degrees inside the car."

I've had the privilege of driving in various endurance races, including the 24H/Daytona.  I've also driven in the TransAm series with a large and hot V-8 stuffed next to my right ankle.

Judge... you are 100% right about the temperature. 

My crew chief put a pyrometer in the cockpit of our TransAm car at the San Jose Grand Prix in 2006.  The race was 2 hours long and it reached 174 degrees.  I lost 8 pounds that weekend.  I was lucky -- I had started to hydrate myself 2 weeks earlier and had built up a lot of cardio stamina.  After the race, 5 drivers went to the medical center for I.V.s and care.

Two weeks later, we did the same at the Denver GP (5,800 feet in elevation).  181 degrees in the car.

The worst was Las Vegas, running in August (how stupid is that) on the road course inside the big oval.  192 degrees for a 2 hour race.  The drink water was damn near boiling.  The cool suit was worthless after 45 minutes.

The only comment I would make is that I would offer my opinion that higher humidity sucks the energy from you faster than low humidity.  There appears to be a Sierra Nevada-based storm and barometric low-pressure system hovering nearby this week that has raised the humidity level. 

Reno-Fernley is going to test the metal of some drivers.  I just hope that we are all "smart drivers" and know when to end our stints because of fatigue, rather than trying to push through because our timeline isn't over.

Good luck to all -
John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

I think a lot depends on the track and number of cars running.  For example, my one stint in SC this year was 45 minutes, and came at the end on Saturday.  It seemed easy compared to an early race 45 minute stint at Stafford.  If there are longish straights to relax, reflex your hands, adjust your feet to avoid that cramp, etc, then longer stints are much easier. 

This Stafford the track will be FULL of cars, and it will be HOT (middle of July).  We will start looking for cautions maybe around the 40 minute mark and adsolutely change drivers at the one hour point.  And we will be exhausted getting out of the car.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Our drivers go for about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 1/2 as a maximum. Truly more then that in one stretch was pushing it.

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Going to help us when the time comes for sure.

Camel Backs work GREAT, they are easy to drink out of and you can fill them half with ice so the water stays cooler longer and then the ice turns into water. Also power bar gel packs are great and easy to eat with your helmet on. Thats my 2 secrets to running in the car for a longer period of time.

Also the condom catheter work great but I have yet to use one in a road car that has a real floor in the car, maybe drill a hole in the floor, just dont be the one in the pit looking under the car wondering whats dripping lol

We are working on these issues ourselves preparing for New Orleans.  I figure it's going to be the hottest Lemons race to date.  June on the Gulf Coast in a swamp land.  We will probably be chewing the air we breath.

Before I get to coping with the heat, I'll comment on the driving stints.  We have tried to go for 2 hours stints and it's hasn't worked yet.  It's a long time.  I don't event think we have the fuel capacity to go much over 1 1/2 hours anyway. 

That's about as long as my friends ran in the Nasa enduro back in April.  The weather was cool and we were still sweating in our gear just sitting around in the pits.

For newbies, short stints are a better idea.  It will give everyone a better chance to drive.  However, your black flags will probably force driver changes faster than you plan anyway.

In our first Lemons race in October 08, we had frequent meetings with the honorable judges.  Nothing major but we were there.  One driver only did two very short stints and he had had enough. 

You get a very clear and sudden realization when you get on track under green, I REALLY COULD DIE!!!!  The beauty and pain of Lemons is that all driver's are welcome. 

If you're new, remember that the guy about to rear end you, side swipe you or cut you off are all probably as new and inexperienced as you are.  So while you are cursing the guy that just cut you off, the guy behind you is probably saying the same thing about you. 

After doing it a bit I realize how much you learn from the experience.  You will reflect back on your race and things will start to become clearer.  You probably won't get it at first, patience kinda has to grow on you. 

Waiting 20 seconds or even a few laps for a pass is way quicker than a botched pass with a 30 minute penalty.  Sure it's not your fault and you're Mario Andretti's long lost illegitimate child, here's your penalty.

Staying cool:

We are working on cool suits and we need a lot of capacity, most of those systems are designed for 20 minute sprint races and only last about 45 minutes tops.  I am working on a larger capacity system to help get more time out of it but it's like driving on a battery, it's going away the whole time.  I just bought a freakin' deep freeze to take so we can make ice too since I think the track may run out.

I run a lawn maintenance company in Houston, we need two bags of ice to keep ice water in our 5 gallon cooler all day without opening it much at all.  So how much will we burn in 1 1/2 to 2 hours running it out of our cooler, around our bodies and back into the cooler, I don't know but I expect a lot. 

I figure we will need more than a dozen bags of ice a day just for our coolers at the track.  I think they charge about $3.00 a bag too.  For the cool system, I hope to freeze something like 2 liter bottles and change them out during fueling.  Way quicker than draining off the excess water and adding more ice. 

Block ice will also last longer for a cool system than cubed.

In New Orleans, they have 8x8x12 blocks for their slush machine.  If you think you will need a lot, I suggest you pre-order. 

Without ice, a cool system is worthless.

Aside from the cool system, we plan to arrange personal water coolers with tubes to take a drink while driving.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

All this is making me wonder if I should just fix the AC in our car and leave the windows in place.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

24 (edited by RoadRunner 2009-05-21 07:13 AM)

kalpol wrote:

All this is making me wonder if I should just fix the AC in our car and leave the windows in place.

I pondered that as well, but then I saw a rule that required having the windows rolled down. However, that may have been a track rule not a Lemons rule.

RoadRunner wrote:
kalpol wrote:

I pondered that as well, but then I saw a rule that required having the windows rolled down. However, that may have been a track rule not a Lemons rule.

Most tracks are all up or all down.