Topic: HowTo: DIY radio helmet mic, on the cheap

We just posted a video on how to make your own helmet mic that works with the common race car 2 way radio setups.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? … tif_t=like

When we first set up 6 drivers with helmet mics we considered the  $100+ helmet mics from Sampson racing and I thought-  there's got to be a better way.  A bit of research and experimentation showed me you can make the same setup with commodity hardware.

Enjoy - Hope this helps you save some money!

Brent Picasso

Re: HowTo: DIY radio helmet mic, on the cheap

Very Cool ... now I just need 3-5 UHF radios!

(how do I convince my team to buy them!!)

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

3 (edited by FJ40Jim 2012-08-21 07:58 AM)

They are not that expensive- $67 delivered in the USA.

http://www.radiogearpro.com/main/produc … ucts_id=44

New rule- everybody has to kick in $67 extra to drive their first race.  And they get a free UHF radio as a souvenir!

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

littleturquoiseb wrote:

You just need two. One for the pits, and one hardwired into the car. You will want a spare battery for the pit radio.

Scott

Scott "Leadfoot" Miller
"The Autosport Lab Rats"
"The Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys"

Autoxer wrote:
littleturquoiseb wrote:

You just need two. One for the pits, and one hardwired into the car. You will want a spare battery for the pit radio.

Scott

You buy and keep them yourself, charge the team 'rental' per race, Profit!  Not racing, rent to another team.  More Profit!

More radios = better communication.  Pits, definitely.  Team Captain, in case not in pits.  Next driver up, they're in the loop in case of an unexpected driver change.  Spotter up in the stands?  Runner to check with HQ to verify if you've been flagged?

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

Nice write-up.

I'd recommend at least 3 radios, a little redundancy is a good thing, but prefer a radio for each team member. We have a pile of radios now.

I have had good luck with Radio Gear Pro. The Puxings use a Kenwood plug and work well.

The Motorola GP68s are also a good option, they use the standard Motorola 2-pin, but you will have to get them from a different supplier.

Both of those radios function in the business band and are what I would consider "light duty" business radios. They are not as drop kick worthy as a full on business radio but they get you in the business band, offer battery eliminators and allow the use of external antennas. I don't think either are FCC approved.

The 10K resistor is relative to the microphone. I've never considered using a PC mic but it's a nice way to get a boom mic. The Pro-Grade equipment uses 150 Ohm dynamic microphones. The dynamic aspect of the mic is more about how the mic works, the impedance is how the radio sees it. The Pro-Grade car harnesses are designed to work with 150 Ohm microphones so your only guarantee it will work in all situations is to run a 150 Ohm mic and I haven't found any cheap ones.

Some radios are more forgiving them others though. For example, we use Motorola GP300s and they are happy with 150, 680 and 2200 Ohm microphones with no problem. A newer Motorola CP200 can be the same way depending on how the harness is grounded. One way will work up to 2200 Ohms and the other will not. I was unable to use a resistor to increase the range but was able to reconfigure the harness wiring. So a helmet kit like this is less universal. The harnesses I make are tested on the radios I have with 150-2200 Ohm microphones. The significance of 2200 Ohms is it's a common impedance for electret condenser mics and Midland's speced that but they do go higher.

Aside from impedance here are some other experiences I have had. We made our first home made helmet kits back in 2010 which were made from mics and speakers from our cheap motorcycle kits and Radio Shack connectors. They worked fine but the Radio Shack connectors are not very good quality and fall apart pretty easily. While working on the CP200 puzzle, I had the tip of an 1/8" Radio Shack connector get stuck in the radio. It's a $300.00+ radio and the tip of a brand new Radio Shack connector was stuck in it. It's about $50.00 to get that 2-pin connector replaced. I took the radio apart and was able to get the tip out but it really stressed me out. Swithcraft connectors are much higher quality and much more expensive. Neutrik has the Rean line which is a good quality connector at a reasonable price. We also had the tip fall off of a pair of $100.00 foam earbuds so this stuff does break and spares are good.

Speaking of Radio Shack, they do have cheap Electret Condensor Mics (ECM) which you can use if you are okay with a free floating, velcro in place mic which is what I make. They are omni-directional and the PC mic probably is too. I use noise cancelling microphones which eliminate a good bit of back ground noise but I still have an omni-directional mic in my own helmet and it's okay. One of these days my helmet will get a new helmet kit.

If you make helmet kits like this and they do not work with the car harness/radios you plug them into it's due to impedance, you will get little assistance from whoever you bought the harness from. I currently have a brand new harness for a Motorola Mobile radio from a big name racing radio supplier and it doesn't work. I called them and they tested it on their own equipment and it did not work for them either. Most of the racing radio suppliers are just resellers and know little about how or why the products work. If you mix and match parts it may or may not work and they may not understand why.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

FWIW, in regard to the Motorola GP68 radios that Troy mentioned, I like them, but they are not really for the beginning radio user. They are fairly complicated to get set up, easy to misconfigure, and since they are so highly user-adaptable, it's easy for a teammate to accidentally screw them up and not know how to undo what they did.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

FWIW, in regard to the Motorola GP68 radios that Troy mentioned, I like them, but they are not really for the beginning radio user. They are fairly complicated to get set up, easy to misconfigure, and since they are so highly user-adaptable, it's easy for a teammate to accidentally screw them up and not know how to undo what they did.

I think a lot of the Puxings are the same way. The radios with key pads that allow user programming are cool but as easy as it is to program. It's just as easy to screw up the programming.

The pricing is attractive though.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

9 (edited by mike944 2012-08-24 10:20 AM)

Hey guys, 

not to be a party pooper here, but.......

We looked into these a year or so ago (not this particular model, but this frequency band)

the vast majority of the 400-470mhz band is licence-only.   The only part that isn't is the FRS frequencies, and these radios broadcast with 8X the max allowed power for FRS

plus you're probably stepping on other teams using the only 14 channels available.

As to the rest of this band, it's license only, and it isn't cheap to get a license.   the required "frequency coordination" is expensive, although the license itself isn't all that bad.  GMRS (8 channels) while it does need a license, doesn't need the expensive "frequency coordination", but again it's only 8 channels, and are probably going to be stepping on other team's transmissions.

as to the rest of the band, I think Police and fire, as well as lots of commercial users also use these frequencies.    I remember a thread from last year, where the po-po showed up, and searched out, and harassed a team that was stepping on one of their frequencies.

Are people using this band spending the money to get licenses?   or just taking their chances?  I know the fines are pretty steep (>$10K) does anybody actually ever get caught and fined?   is everybody just claiming ignorance, and hoping it won't happen to them?

We went with "XRS" radios in the license-free 900mhz band.     they were cheap, and seem to work just fine, and nobody else seems to be using that band for 2-way radio communication.

We figure the chance of getting caught are pretty low, but on the other hand, the potential fine is pretty steep, so we decided not to take our chances, so we stayed in a license-free band.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

mike944 wrote:

Hey guys, 

not to be a party pooper here, but.......

We looked into these a year or so ago (not this particular model, but this frequency band)

the vast majority of the 400-470mhz band is licence-only.   The only part that isn't is the FRS frequencies, and these radios broadcast with 8X the max allowed power for FRS

plus you're probably stepping on other teams using the only 14 channels available.

As to the rest of this band, it's license only, and it isn't cheap to get a license.   the required "frequency coordination" is expensive, although the license itself isn't all that bad.  GMRS (8 channels) while it does need a license, doesn't need the expensive "frequency coordination", but again it's only 8 channels, and are probably going to be stepping on other team's transmissions.

as to the rest of the band, I think Police and fire, as well as lots of commercial users also use these frequencies.    I remember a thread from last year, where the po-po showed up, and searched out, and harassed a team that was stepping on one of their frequencies.

Are people using this band spending the money to get licenses?   or just taking their chances?  I know the fines are pretty steep (>$10K) does anybody actually ever get caught and fined?   is everybody just claiming ignorance, and hoping it won't happen to them?

We went with "XRS" radios in the license-free 900mhz band.     they were cheap, and seem to work just fine, and nobody else seems to be using that band for 2-way radio communication.

We figure the chance of getting caught are pretty low, but on the other hand, the potential fine is pretty steep, so we decided not to take our chances, so we stayed in a license-free band.

The Police did show up to a race in California due to radios. A team was using police or fire radios that I guy brought from his job as a police or fireman. I don't know the exact details but it is something like that.

There are licenses involved with some frequencies. No, we don't have one either. Narrowbanding goes into affect next year too and I don't think my radios are compliant with that either. I guess we will just have to shut up once the FCC shows up to our race.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

The Police did show up to a race in California due to radios. A team was using police or fire radios that I guy brought from his job as a police or fireman. I don't know the exact details but it is something like that.

There are licenses involved with some frequencies. No, we don't have one either. Narrowbanding goes into affect next year too and I don't think my radios are compliant with that either. I guess we will just have to shut up once the FCC shows up to our race.

I don't know details either, but my point was that they use frequencies in this range.   Somebody could unknowingly program a new radio to use one of these frequencies that is already being used in the local area, just as easily as somebody could have brought a radio in from outside the local area which happens to use the same frequency.

I agree, the risk is probably low, but it is still a possibility.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

mike944 wrote:

The way I remember that story, the frequency used by the race team was the same or just close enough to interfere with a reserved police band in the area where the track was, and the source of the interference was traced back to the track.

So, second hand fire/police radios are probably not the best choices.  Radios with a channel selector that can be programmed yourself to various frequencies are your best bet.  As soon as I pull up to the track I turn my radio on and just listen for a while for chatter.  I might transmit a 'anyone on this frequency, hello hello' a time or two before the race just in case.  Prior to the race, I'll repeat that, and if necessary switch our radios over to another channel and repeat.  So far, I've not had to switch.

Troy wrote:

We made our first home made helmet kits back in 2010 which were made from mics and speakers from our cheap motorcycle kits and Radio Shack connectors. They worked fine but the Radio Shack connectors are not very good quality and fall apart pretty easily. While working on the CP200 puzzle, I had the tip of an 1/8" Radio Shack connector get stuck in the radio. It's a $300.00+ radio and the tip of a brand new Radio Shack connector was stuck in it. It's about $50.00 to get that 2-pin connector replaced. I took the radio apart and was able to get the tip out but it really stressed me out. Swithcraft connectors are much higher quality and much more expensive. Neutrik has the Rean line which is a good quality connector at a reasonable price. We also had the tip fall off of a pair of $100.00 foam earbuds so this stuff does break and spares are good.

Seconding that, cheap connectors are OK for hobby use, or situations where a connection will get light use.  For race radios, you're going to be plugging and unplugging multiple times over a weekend, spend a bit more and get the good stuff.  I'm the radio guy for the teams I've been with, and my job is to make sure the radios are at least as, if not more reliable than the car itself.  wink

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

On the topic of inexpensive UHF radios, these look really hard to beat and of the reviews I've read, they seem quite good.  We'll be picking up several to complement our collection of Kenwoods that we currently use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-BF-888S … 263wt_1163

Just be sure to program them to use a frequency in the business band.

-Kevin
Hong Norrth #38 - 1994 Mazda MX3 (Lemons Logik/Bandit/Tr0ns Am)

14 (edited by gielamonster 2012-11-05 11:50 PM)

I just bought 3 of these:

http://i.imgur.com/61Fi1.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B007H4VT7A

I picked them over the 888s because they're tested at 4W on high power, where as the 888s are about 3W.

Then I added a programming cable and assembled a DIY car kit based on a $20 IMSA jack from an aircraft supply shop, plus a kenwood PTT harness, roof mount antenna, and 12V battery eliminator kit. All together the cost of the 3 radios plus car system was $183.

My team already has IMSA connector'd helmet kits ($125/ea!) so that's why I had to get the $20 IMSA jack, along with keeping them PNP with our other team's radio gear. If you're starting entirely from scratch you could ditch the IMSA for something cheaper, and use the money saved for most of the connectors on the helmet kits. I've tried all the cheaper options, but you really need a good pair of "racing" earbuds. Its important for them to both block noise and get the radio sounds clearly into your earholes. That means each helmet kit will add about $50-75 for some good ear plugs and a decent mic (M101 is $10-15).

Ear buds:
http://www.plugfones.com/?page_id=274
http://www.jamplugs.com/
http://www.ruggedrad...products_id=310

We'll be putting them to the test at Chuckwalla. I'll let you guys know how well they work.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

IMSA uses military spec connectors which makes them pricey.

The Chinese gray market radios seem to work well and offer very cost effective alternatives to full on business grade radios.

Plugfones are a nice alternative to their high dollar counterparts. The only issue is they take about 2 weeks to get.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Awesome details.  Looking forward to hearing how it works.  Thanks for sharing.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

jimbo_se-r wrote:

The way I remember that story, the frequency used by the race team was the same or just close enough to interfere with a reserved police band in the area where the track was, and the source of the interference was traced back to the track.

My recollection was that it was a team with actual police officers, using their radios.  They were far from home and didn't expect anybody would be using the same channels.

The race was shut down completely and every car was checked.  Naturally, the offender was the last car in line.

bs

bshorey wrote:
jimbo_se-r wrote:

My recollection was that it was a team with actual police officers, using their radios.  They were far from home and didn't expect anybody would be using the same channels.

The race was shut down completely and every car was checked.  Naturally, the offender was the last car in line.

bs

To make it seem like they weren't completely clueless they did try and confirm no one was using that frequency, but I guess whatever was didn't register it in whatever list they looked at.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I know it's not very DYI... But this is the new hot stuff.  Fish just got this set-up as Co-Dawg for a Trophy Truck team in Baja.... He can get out of the truck to change a tire and still has full com to driver and pits.

https://www.pciraceradios.com/CategoryP … h+Wireless

#3 IROC MAIDEN

Scotty wrote:

I know it's not very DYI... But this is the new hot stuff.  Fish just got this set-up as Co-Dawg for a Trophy Truck team in Baja.... He can get out of the truck to change a tire and still has full com to driver and pits.

https://www.pciraceradios.com/CategoryP … h+Wireless

That's awesome, $800 for what is probably $10 in components.  I know their volume is going to be low and they have to recover their development costs somehow though!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

BoB wrote:
bshorey wrote:
jimbo_se-r wrote:

bs

To make it seem like they weren't completely clueless they did try and confirm no one was using that frequency, but I guess whatever was didn't register it in whatever list they looked at.

IIRC, that crap still cost 169 other teams ~1 hour of race time while they were looking for these culprits. Sure, it wasn't intentional but it makes more sense to stick with established bands and radios.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

So why exactly can't we use something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … phone.html

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/817199.jpg

Wreck Faster wrote:

So why exactly can't we use something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … phone.html

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/817199.jpg

our teams have been using this setup for several races now with midland radios.

the plugs are picky about getting hooked up. it's damned easy to bend a pin getting a new driver in the hole.

the wires are flimsy, it easy to pull one apart.

the wires are tiny, so any attempts to modify the pieces (ear buds, steering wheel buttons) gets very challenging for the diy solderer.

if you are careful with them, and don't want to make them "better"....they will probably do what you need done.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy, if you are using the genuine Midland motorcycle kit, it is better than the on pictured.

The pictured kit will work but it's not very durable. In fact I'd say a lack of durability is giving it credit, they are fragile and delicate.

Mounting the PTT on the steering wheel is high risk too which frequently leads to a broken PTT.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

nope, i think we are using whatever that setup is.

it's a very fragile system, and attempts to uprgrade piecemeal have been spotty at best.

our PTT is on the shifter. i think we tried to make an aftermarket wheel button system work, but with limited results.

our midland radios live right behind the driver's head on the cage backstay. they have a charging base dismantled and the leads affixed to the contacts on the bottom so the radios can be wired to a power port on the car.

i think we are devising a better solution for the next race, but this one has worked well enough for the last two races.

the range is still pretty random, ECR was line of sight on the hill, basically.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C