Topic: Crazy Drivers and Dive Bombers_Just my opinion

Having run 2 races at Stafford Springs and now the Lamest Day at NL I was amazed at the difference in other drivers "Give & Take" between the short tracks and the road course. First race at Stafford was ok smaller amount of cars, but the 2nd race was insane at times. NL , I found the vast majority of drivers were very professional and give as much as they tried to take. Have a semi- slow #0 Volvo 244 sedan we just tried to run a stready line and stay out of others way while running our own race. Still had at times some people drive bombing across our hood but overall was a lot more fun to run the NL race then Stafford always wondering whom was going to nail you next. My hat is off the drivers at the NL race allowed me to finish a true 24 hour race and a top 20 finish-(17th) was icing on the top of the cake. Thanks Guys.

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe

Re: Crazy Drivers and Dive Bombers_Just my opinion

The only passing zone at Stafford this year was to outbrake someone into 1.  Last year - there were no passing zones with the kink.  You just couldn't get fast enough to make a pass once you were behind someone.  Without the kink, people could go two wide into the infield. 

I too noticed the increased agression at Stafford.  But I expected that, as the same thing happened at CMP this year.  It comes from track experience.  IE a bunch of noobs at Stafford last year are now seasoned racers this year.  I imagine that NL would have been the same next year if we were going back.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Ok.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

We have run at stafford twice now. I know it sounds crazy but it was worse in 2008 there. 2009 had twice the number of cars on track  as the year before. The thing that made it seem worse was a couple of cars whose drivers have watched to many bad NASCAR movies. That and the Miata that was all dive bombing and driving like a jerk even though they were completley out of the standings.

There is enough room in turn 1 at stafford to run two cars abreast. If the drivers have any type of car control skills they should be able to run two up bumper to bumper through there. Instead of hogging the line and blocking through there.

No one ever did well or won a Lemons even by blocking. All it gets you is a lot of pissed off drivers and the likelyhood of contact.

Hell, lots of cars are out there to just have fun anyway. So blocker make those huge traffic jams where everyone has to run slow.

You remember that saying "How you going to keep them down on the farm when they seen Paris"? Well how you gonna race at Stafford after you raced Nelson Ledges? Nelson Ledges Rocked!

My two cents

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

5 (edited by Speedycop 2009-10-18 03:49 PM)

I'm still trying to figure out why the uber-slow 89ish Camry at Stafford (which I had lapped countless times) that was on my right and A WHOLE FRONT FENDER ahead of me (3 feet) tried to take the inside line into turn one, in the last few minutes of the race, while I was runnning in 10th place. He promptly spun himself out against my much heavier Lincoln. The was literally NO time to react, he was beside me, then just turned into me. I got black flagged and he didn't, even though it was clearly NOT my fault, and I never left the track. I can just hear the radio transmission now, by some track worker who caught the tail end of it:
"That blue Lincoln just spun out a car."

Mistakes happen, it's hard to catch it all, and the rule is "ANY CONTACT". Yeah, he shoulda been flagged INSTEAD of me, but shit happens. Luckily, the guest penalty judges recognized that A) It was the last few minutes of the race, and B) It was my first penalty. They told me say how sorry I was, so I said "I'm sorry I let that car ram me! It won't happen again, I swear!" Then I was sent back out. Pretty harmless as penalties go, but that 5 minutes could've cost us both 10th place and Least Horrible Yank Tank.

The point is, if you are way down in the standings, and a substantially faster car that's been in the top ten all weekend is directly beside you, DON'T EFFING CUT THEM OFF!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

if you are slow, and a substantially faster car ... is directly beside you, DON'T EFFING CUT THEM OFF!

fixed that for you.  I can't tell you how many times that slower cars block because they believe it is thier god given right to be ahead of you.  Let fast people by and make room.  If that means coming off the gas on a straight, so be it. 

As Jay said - "Let them go.  If they deserve to be ahead of you, they will be gone in a corner or two.  If not, you will pass them back in a corner or two as they slide across the grass and get black flagged."

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

The problem is that if these guys have any experience, it's in sprint races. And therefore are not in the practice of letting people by - not understanding that it's an endurance race, which requires a completely different demeanor.

When I was driving the caddy at NL, I waited quite a long time to pass (only happened a few times hehehe) only to ensure I had enough time to pass and then get out of the way and back into my predictable line. The only place I felt bad was at the end of the long backstretch and trying to stay to the right - which put me on the inside of turn 13 (hairpin coming onto the front stretch).  The last thing I wanted to do was appear to be blocking/cutting people off by trying to stay to the outside of every turn...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

RobL wrote:

Let fast people by and make room.  If that means coming off the gas on a straight, so be it.

Rob - I usually agree with your posts

We were a mid-speed car (121hp mid-sized 80's sedan) that finished 20th. We got passed a lot.

I gave countless point-bys at NL (particularly in the last session when everyone went nuts), but, sheesh, I have my own race. I'm not coming off the gas to let a car by. This isn't lapping day, after all. You may not care whether I come in 20th or 30th, but I do because it is part of my fun. And, I usually have no idea where the fast cars are in the standings.

If the car behind me was still actually behind me at turn-in, I took the "racing line". Sorry, they'll have to wait another corner (or two) to get by me as their speed and skill allows. If they stuck their nose in, I gave them the apex but raced them around the outside (usually losing, depending upon the corner). If they are really faster, then they can pull me on the straight, get me under braking, take the inside line into the next corner or dart around me in the carousels/sweepers. I left room when I thought there might be a car to my side.

Blocking to me is weaving back and forth, right? That's uncool.

Am I wrong?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

10 (edited by David Hawkins 2009-10-19 06:01 AM)

EvergreenDan wrote:

Am I wrong?

You're wrong.  For our series, blocking is holding the line when you're noticeably slower than the car trying to get by.  Even if it's not a huge amount, you know if you're slower.  EDIT - re-reading your post, you do it like I think it should be done; give up the line if they get inside you.  The rest of my rant is directed at those who don't give up the line.  smile

My 115rwhp MR2 can't pull a lot of cars on the straights, but we can keep that speed in the turns where a lot of other cars can't.  My main problem has been with the retired cop cars/taxis that can pull me hard on the straights but blow big chunks in the turns...but then they hold their line in the turns and make it impossible to get by.  It doesn't do me any good to be able to out-brake someone if they're going to come in on me while I'm doing it.  I had this problem at CMP with a couple of the big Crown Vics.  One of them even hit me twice and forced me into the pvc pipes on the inside of the turns three times.  Once I got by him, he was half a lap back within 2 laps.

This is an endurance race.  The guy trying to get by you is most likely so far ahead of you or so far behind you that the pass will make zero difference in your overall standing.  If someone's all over your bumper, take a different line and let them pass - doing anything else is just going to detract from their racing fun and for some folks will probably piss them off a good bit after a few laps of frustration.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

11 (edited by RobL 2009-10-19 06:59 AM)

EvergreenDan wrote:
RobL wrote:

Let fast people by and make room.  If that means coming off the gas on a straight, so be it.

Rob - I usually agree with your posts

We were a mid-speed car (121hp mid-sized 80's sedan) that finished 20th. We got passed a lot.

I gave countless point-bys at NL (particularly in the last session when everyone went nuts), but, sheesh, I have my own race. I'm not coming off the gas to let a car by. This isn't lapping day, after all. You may not care whether I come in 20th or 30th, but I do because it is part of my fun. And, I usually have no idea where the fast cars are in the standings.

Am I wrong?

IMO - blocking is keeping a faster car behind you by whatever means.  The only time this is acceptable is when you are in a fight for position.  In any other situation, it is unsportmanlike.  These are endurance races.  Without live T&S and getting that information to the driver somehow, you have no idea who is in what position.  If you want to stay in 20th spot - technically, you have to block everyone because you don't know who the 21st place car is who you need to keep behind you...  Is that fair to the guy in 5th who may have the guy in 4th just ahead of him on track?

You are complaining that by doing this, the fast cars are "messing up" your race.  But isn't the same to be said about the slow cars from the fast cars perspective?  Someone has to give up time in order for the two cars to exchange positions - in your world, the fast car has to come off line, in my world the slow cars do. 

Passing is the most dangerous part of racing.  You are making the faster cars get a nose under you before you give room even though you know you are slower.  You are making that pass more dangerous.  What if, on the previous corner, you came off line on the inside of the corner and didn't get on the gas for a second and just let them by?  How much time would you really have lost?  How much time has the faster car lost by having to get behind you until you yeild?  Like David says above with his battle with a crown vic - it doesn't take a lot for a slower car to hold up a faster one especially when the faster car is a momentum car and needs to be fast off the corners to make up time. 

These races are exactly like lapping days - but in the top groups (black/instructor).  The rules are exactly the same (wheels off, contact, flags, etc.) except you don't bend as much sheetmetal in lapping days.  If everyone treats it as such, and not a "race," everyone will be happier, there will be a lot less contact, less people in the penalty box, and more people will get more seat time. 

BTW - we have you paint on our car from when we tried to pass you and had a nose under you - proof that you don't practice what you preach ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0eRXWQjlPs )...   wink Have a nice day.

RobL wrote:

I can't tell you how many times that slower cars block because they believe it is thier god given right to be ahead of you.

Keep that in mind if we are ever in your mirror. big_smile

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

i'm sure that at some point you will be...and getting smaller by the second.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

RobL wrote:

Passing is the most dangerous part of racing.  You are making the faster cars get a nose under you before you give room even though you know you are slower.  You are making that pass more dangerous.  What if, on the previous corner, you came off line on the inside of the corner and didn't get on the gas for a second and just let them by?  How much time would you really have lost?  How much time has the faster car lost by having to get behind you until you yeild?  Like David says above with his battle with a crown vic - it doesn't take a lot for a slower car to hold up a faster one especially when the faster car is a momentum car and needs to be fast off the corners to make up time.

Passing is also the whole point of racing - if you cant get past then you are not the faster car. I race with a simple philosophy that I will not block but I will not lift to let you by either. I race a predictable inside line and if you want to get past you either need to get alongside on the inside (in which case I lift) or cleanly past on the outside.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

15 (edited by RobL 2009-10-19 09:15 AM)

rnr wrote:

Passing is also the whole point of racing - if you cant get past then you are not the faster car. I race with a simple philosophy that I will not block but I will not lift to let you by either. I race a predictable inside line and if you want to get past you either need to get alongside on the inside (in which case I lift) or cleanly past on the outside.

Ever seen the results of that?  When a faster car is being blocked by another that is just slightly slower?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNtbaMa … _embedded#

Do we really want this kind of 100% racing in crap cans around other people who have $50 license waivers?

Please also notice that the slower cars that are not in this battle get out of the way...

rnr wrote:

I race a predictable inside line and if you want to get past you either need to get alongside on the inside (in which case I lift) or cleanly past on the outside.

How do you define 'alongside'?  Do they have to be even with your front bumper?  It's a great philosophy when you're the one doing it.  It sucks eggs for the guy trying to get around you in a faster car that doesn't seem faster because all of the passing opportunities are clogged by some of the 120 other cars on course or you sap all of his momentum by maintaining a line that you shouldn't be on.

I'd really love to see the blue/yellow used more in Lemons.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

17 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-10-19 01:37 PM)

Well, I'm happy to abide by any set of sporting rules determined by the organizers (or universally agreed by the racers). The last time I suggested this very thing, I got blasted for suggesting guidelines for the "don't hit anyone" rule. So I'm not expecting rules clarification from the LeMoneers.

I'm not being sarcastic, but I thought this was a race, not a lapping day without point-bys. At Stafford, Jay made it clear that they wouldn't be throwing the passing flag and that it was up to us to make our passes (presumably without contact, without pissing anyone off, and making them stick).

If the rule is that I'm supposed to move offline or lift when I see a car in my mirror, it is new information to me. I don't think I saw anyone lift for me, except for the hopelessly slow (e.g. Snoopy, Lada) taking the non-preferred two-wide line (like the outside lane through T4). I don't think it is blocking to simply follow the racing line when no car is abreast of me. (Even a nose is abreast of me.) Obviously, I'm never going to intentionally have contact.

I've too have been frustrated getting past high power, poor-handling cars. I figured that that's part of racing Lemons (and part of selecting a car).

Some race series go beyond this and allow a single defensive move. I'm not even talking about that. I just talking about sticking to the fastest line until the car behind can at least stick a nose in. I left plenty of apexes because I wasn't sure if a car was there or not.

EDIT: As for when I passed, I didn't consider a nose sufficient. I backed out unless I was at least even with the car, in which case I expected a side-by-side unless the outside car braked early and relinquished the track-out (rare, and I was conservative to avoid contact).

As for the video, I wasn't driving. I've watched it a few times. I think it's pretty clear that our car intended to pass the slow cars that were on the right after letting the blue car past. It moved left before your car stuck its nose in. I think both cars went for the same track space at about the same time. We got there first. I think both drivers could have been more heads-up and avoided it. That said, our driver should have setup inside to pass the slower cars on the right, which would have "blocked" you and the blue car for the corner. You would have passed on the straight (or in T13), without contact or any problem.

Rob, your car was both faster and better handling than ours, and you passed us easily all day long.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Blocking is ugly, creates road rage and will ultimately result in retaliation.

Blocking being defined as purposefully attempting to keep a car behind you.

Given that there were two lanes of traffic all the way around NL I don't know how much blocking could rally be done.

I know I tried to stay out of the way but still got chopped.

FYI the Blue Flag only imparts "Check your mirrors". It does not mean let them by unless given by start. or F1 marshalls. In F1 the blue flagger is on their own radio net and control tells you by telemitry when to flag.
The blue flag should not be used for cars running for position.

RobL wrote:

Ever seen the results of that?  When a faster car is being blocked by another that is just slightly slower?

Do we really want this kind of 100% racing in crap cans around other people who have $50 license waivers?

Please also notice that the slower cars that are not in this battle get out of the way...

That was a result of ugly blocking while racing for position and has absolutely nothing to do with driving an inside line. Professional endurance racers (Le Mans, Serbring etc...) never lift to let the faster classes through. They will not block the LMP1s of this world but they certainly dont move aside for them either.

David Hawkins wrote:

How do you define 'alongside'?  Do they have to be even with your front bumper?  It's a great philosophy when you're the one doing it.  It sucks eggs for the guy trying to get around you in a faster car that doesn't seem faster because all of the passing opportunities are clogged by some of the 120 other cars on course or you sap all of his momentum by maintaining a line that you shouldn't be on.

Alongside is far enough alongside that you have the corner. Incidentally I drive one of the consistently fastest cars out there (3 top 10s) and I have no problem with people driving an inside line as long as they dont deliberately move over to block.

Team Formula BMW

I will give you the position but will not move off my line to do so.  If it looks like you might not clear, I'll lift for a sec, but I shouldn't have to drive off my line unless I'm hopelessly slow.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Wow,
I never knew how rough it was to be "substantially faster".  But - if the pass doesn't matter, why not just hang back till us slow, lumbering drivers have to pull in for more gas or tires?    I may have to keep a box of tissues handy for when I log into these forums.  I mean, I know you aren't complaining about me because I am a west coaster, but man I feel guilty for driving a crown vic now.
not

rnr wrote:
RobL wrote:

That was a result of ugly blocking while racing for position and has absolutely nothing to do with driving an inside line. Professional endurance racers (Le Mans, Serbring etc...) never lift to let the faster classes through. They will not block the LMP1s of this world but they certainly dont move aside for them either.

Then please explain what the #47 car at the start of the video was doing and why he was off line letting the two cars through.  Or why, at 2:00, the Ford GT didn't take the apex?  Hint: the GT yeilded the corner to the faster cars while he was still on the straight.  Or in the next corner, the other porsche moves to drivers left to let the Vette through in turn 3.  And I can point out many other instances in this video of slower cars yeilding to the faster ones or do you just see these as "mistakes" that happen to let the faster drivers through?

RobL wrote:

Then please explain what the #47 car at the start of the video was doing and why he was off line letting the two cars through.  Or why, at 2:00, the Ford GT didn't take the apex?  Hint: the GT yeilded the corner to the faster cars while he was still on the straight.  Or in the next corner, the other porsche moves to drivers left to let the Vette through in turn 3.  And I can point out many other instances in this video of slower cars yeilding to the faster ones or do you just see these as "mistakes" that happen to let the faster drivers through?

There were 4 minutes left in the race at that point and people who were not being actively chased for position were letting other cars past. Got watch a mid race stint in any endurance race and you find there are tons of accidents between classes because the slower classes will not lift.

Team Formula BMW

24 (edited by RobL 2009-10-19 11:24 AM)

EvergreenDan wrote:

As for the video, I wasn't driving. I've watched it a few times. I think it's pretty clear that our car intended to pass the slow cars that were on the right after letting the blue car past. It moved left before your car stuck its nose in. I think both cars went for the same track space at about the same time. We got there first. I think both drivers could have been more heads-up and avoided it. That said, our driver should have setup inside to pass the slower cars on the right, which would have "blocked" you and the blue car for the corner. You would have passed on the straight (or in T13), without contact or any problem.

And, of course, the other way to look at it:

Our driver had already moved to the left to pass.  Your driver saw the blue car pass then made the move to the inside without checking his mirror for a second car.  I agree with you that your driver should have made the move to the left earlier to pass the slower traffic but once he didn't, he should have waited until it was clear before moving to the left.  The black paint on out car starts before the front wheel, so it's not like it was a small miscalculation... 

Look - All I'm saying is that the slower cars, as a matter of courtesy and safety, should consider yeilding the racing line when they car to those cars who are overtaking.

25 (edited by RobL 2009-10-19 11:25 AM)

rnr wrote:

Got watch a mid race stint in any endurance race and you find there are tons of accidents between classes because the slower classes will not lift.

Cool - so that makes it right?  Awesome.  Thanks for proving my point.