Re: Crazy Drivers and Dive Bombers_Just my opinion

I get what Rob is saying, and it depends on the circumstances as to whether I would give a point-bye, lift or whatever.

For example on Sunday morning at CMP the Lightning McQueen car was right behind me on a full course caution.  I knew the driver (Chris) and also knew his team was in 2nd place while we were in the mid 30s due to losing our alternator belt on Saturday.   I gave him a few hands signals during the caution laps meant to tell him I'd let him by on the inside as soon as the green flag was dropped.  He apparently understood and quickly ducked under me in T14 when the call to go green was given.  Obviously if I were a d*ck and wanted to race him hard I would not have given up the inside line in that turn.

In few other instances I pointed by a few cars that were faster and I may have lifted if required for them to get by safely.  I mean I did just tell them "I'll let you by" so why point them by and drag race them to the next turn?  Had I not pointed, I definitely would NOT lift. Afterall this is a RACE and if we all just moved aside what fun would that be right?

I do follow certain passing protocols, which I thought are generally 'understood' but some newbies don't know (or care) about the 'gentlemens rules'.  I use the rule of "If the guy trying to pass you is able to stick his nose in a get all the way to your door (right behind the front fender)" then you give him that corner...IOW don't come down on him.  Sometimes people are in a blind spot and sh*t happens, but in three races I've never had any metal to metal contact when I was beside another car in a turn.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Z3SpdDmn wrote:

The only other thing I need to stress is to leave racing room.  I saw a lot of people setting up on the outside for turns while faster cars were moving to the inside to pass under braking and the car on the outside would just cut in.  Everyone needs to FACILITATE THE PASS.  While we should all be racing each other, there's clean racing and there's dirty racing.  Don't cut down on someone, run down the middle of the road on the straights, or change lines to prevent someone from getting around you.

This is what I've been trying to say...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Z3SpdDmn wrote:

I saw a lot of people setting up on the outside for turns while faster cars were moving to the inside to pass under braking and the car on the outside would just cut in.  Everyone needs to FACILITATE THE PASS.  While we should all be racing each other, there's clean racing and there's dirty racing.  Don't cut down on someone, run down the middle of the road on the straights, or change lines to prevent someone from getting around you.

I agree 100%.  It was easy for me to tell who would "cut down on you" and generally speaking it was a heavy large car like a Crown Vic or Mercedes 90% of the time.  They would enter the turns on the outside...and even though I was fully on the inside (all the way beside their door) they would still try to make the apex....where I was there or not.  Obviously this wasn't true 100% of the time, but after a few laps I could tell who would do what and I had to find other ways to pass.

Z3SpdDmn wrote:

Everytime someone did it right, I gave them an appreciative wave smile

That is the difference bewteen someone with HPDE or some other type of track experience.  I do the same thing myself.  Good hand signals make for a safer better race IMO.  The quick waving motion by drivers to acknowledge a yellow flag up ahead (thus warning the drivers behind) is a HUGE help in preventing rear end collisions.

I would be nice if someone could set up a FAQ or similar for the newbies with this type of info so they 'have a clue' before getting on track.

Captain

54 (edited by YesIFit 2009-10-20 08:53 AM)

I think that you're always going to have people from both camps in every race ... those that won't lift, and those that think they should.  Even a situation like the GT2 finish last week seems to divide the blame ... (http://www.oneighturbo.com/2009/10/13/a … troversy/#)

On a personal note, my weapon of choice for DE's is a MINI, so I know all about catching slower cars in the corners and having them pull me on the straights. FWIW, if you're behind me in a higher HP car and can keep up through the corners, then I'll gladly lift (ever so slightly) and let you pass on the straight. Chances are, you'll blow the first turn after passing me and I'll get my spot back anyway! big_smile

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I too did the "thank you wave" when it was done right. Same with point bys. I use them in racing racing too. Point bys are a good thing:
- It acknowledges that you see them
- It acknowledges that you know they are faster
- It acknowledges that you know they are going to pass
- It TELLS THEM where you want them to pass you so that when they are there it is a non-issue.

Point bys are not a bad thing, yes we are racing but we aren't always racing the person in front/behind us. If I am running for position (AND I KNOW IT) I am not giving a point by and damnit they are working for that pass.

When you run in most orgs (NASA, SCCA, etc) there are multiple race classes in a particular race. Point bys are greatly appreciated in those circumstances.

ninetyfourintegra wrote:

If I am running for position (AND I KNOW IT) I am not giving a point by and damnit they are working for that pass.

I agree, but unless it was the last lap or something I would never throw an intentional block. 

It sure would be nice to KNOW your position real time in a Lemons race though...wouldn't it?

Captain

Z3SpdDmn wrote:

Agreed.  Race hard but be aware, predictable and courteous.  Signaling your intent when able is a good thing -  "point by", "pit in", "caution ahead", "thanks" are all part of my plan, has served me well (with several top 20 finishes), and I always appreciate when others do it too.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

58 (edited by VKZ24 2009-10-20 09:43 AM)

PapaJohn55 wrote:
Z3SpdDmn wrote:

Agreed.  Race hard but be aware, predictable and courteous.  Signaling your intent when able is a good thing -  "point by", "pit in", "caution ahead", "thanks" are all part of my plan, has served me well (with several top 20 finishes), and I always appreciate when others do it too.

I'll wager less than half of the racers at CMP knew the "pit-in" signal or how/why/when it is used.  I was pleasantly surpised that 100% seemed to know the red flag procedures when implemented.

Like I've said, the "get a clue" idea should be mandatory for people with no experience.

Captain

I've been at both ends of the spectrum. At CMP last time, our Lincoln turned a 1:02.6 in traffic with me at the wheel. It was probably one of the three fastest cars on the track, on the rare occasions we were actually out there, and not waiting for it to cool to add 3 more gallons of water to go 10 more laps. If you watch the video, I took anything but the "correct" racing line in most places, due to traffic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6gf4NqV5g

I would prefer slower cars react predictably, and we ARE racing, so I don't ask anyone to lift. However, they should YIELD to much faster cars whenever it's safe to do so. In my pink Caddy at NL, I took the outside line whenever I saw a faster car approaching in my mirror, and did point-by's whenever I could. The Caddy held the sweeping turns remarkably well (go to the 1:04 mark in this vid, you'll see what I mean):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlt8VvqMOFg

However, it was one of the slower cars on the track, with a best of 1:44. On the straights, I just got out of the way to whichever side was clear. Usually, I keyed off the faster car, using the side they were choosing for their pass to move away from. I only LIFTED when it came to voluntarily going to the outside in the tight turns, and I didn't want that big pig sliding off course. Could I have held the inside line in a nearly 20' car that weighs 5k? Hell yes! I already had it most of the time. Would that be courteous to the races that are actually in the hunt for a decent overall finish? Not exactly.

You don't have to lift to yield. Faster cars should be patient and pass where it's safe. Slower cars should A) try to be predictable, and B) yield to faster cars and give point-by's whenever possible, again, where it's safe to do so. Cars that are closely matched should race the wheels off'n the damn cars, and not yield an inch. That's when this sport is the most fun!!!

I must have gone 20 minutes straight at Stafford with Vlad the Impala, swapping positions and racing nose-to-tail lap after lap. I normally don't agree with blocking, but obviously if it's the last laps and you are fighting for the win with the #2 car (a la Buttonwillow), you do what you gotta do. Racing a closely matched car in the middle of a 14-24 hours race doesn't call for blocking, just maximum driving enjoyment!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

If you're not in the Peripheral Vision of the driver that's ahead when entering a corner, you DO NOT have the line. That's it, plain and simple. Drive a predictable line (racing line or otherwise) and passing issues will be minimized. The ONLY time outside of regular braking zones that you should have to lift is either a) traffic is holding you back or b) There's another car in your Peripherals and you need to allow for racing room.

RobL: You guys shouldn't have been behind the Buick for 7 minutes? Technically, you weren't. Several areas of the stint, Dave and I were both being held back due to traffic. He made some good moves that only a smaller car can do in that environment, but subsequently backfired DUE to that traffic, me being on the racing line or not. When the track was open it was a Momentum car(MR2) versus a Power car(Buick). To keep my car on the track(not so great handling) and exploit it's attributes, I was taking a late apex at the carousel. Dave made the best of the MR2's handling and momentum through the corner by taking a similar line. I really enjoyed that track time more than anything the whole weekend, but knocking it down like that Kind of put a wet blanket on the experience. I could venture a true statement that if it were not for that traffic, Dave would probably not have seen me (Dave16x [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88vaCpzJdBQ ] on youtube shows that we tussle briefly around the 3:50 mark but by 4:27 I'm not even in sight of the camera anymore)

Just saying.

I've gotten ONE driving-related black flag(2wheels off at CMP Spring 09; overcooked it going in with front tires worn to the cords) in 5 events (FlatRock07, CMP08, Toledo, CMP Spring09, and Nelsons) I've done go-kart racing for years prior to this. No Mirrors, no Brake Lights. If they can't see you without a mirror or a LOT of head turning, assume they DON'T see you and race appropriately.

VKZ24 wrote:
ninetyfourintegra wrote:

If I am running for position (AND I KNOW IT) I am not giving a point by and damnit they are working for that pass.

I agree, but unless it was the last lap or something I would never throw an intentional block. 

It sure would be nice to KNOW your position real time in a Lemons race though...wouldn't it?

Agree, I am talking about sprint races. For Lemons I would still revert to letting them go and making up the time against a slower driver/penalty/mechanical/curse/etc

I'm not sure I like the "thank you wave" when it seems like it would look just like the "oh crap, yellow flag wave". Maybe it's obvious from context. The yellow flag wave was very helpful for all, I think.

A question about lifting to let your friend in second place pass. Is this fair to the car in first place? Maybe Nelson Piquet Jr can offer his opinion. tongue

I used point-bys not to yield but to tell the car that I know they are going to pass and that I see them and won't chop them. I sometimes used it to pick the side I preferred (move to one side and point to other).

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

EvergreenDan wrote:

A question about lifting to let your friend in second place pass. Is this fair to the car in first place? Maybe Nelson Piquet Jr can offer his opinion. tongue

it's ok as long as you don't crash and bring out the safety car

EvergreenDan wrote:

I used point-bys not to yield but to tell the car that I know they are going to pass and that I see them and won't chop them. I sometimes used it to pick the side I preferred (move to one side and point to other).

Perfect.

As a racer that's had to ONLY go on Point-Bys, this is perfect etiquette. Actually saved me once or twice in karting when the Hot-Head's fast & cocky son was in behind me. I pointed for him to take the inside line, moved out to give racing room, and...nothing. As it turned out, he went to the outside under braking and it looked like I ran him off the track into the haybales. When I came in I had no clue what had transpired but after a few minutes talking with some witnesses they got a laugh out of it, and the Hot-Head Father didn't say a word.

EvergreenDan wrote:

I'm not sure I like the "thank you wave" when it seems like it would look just like the "oh crap, yellow flag wave".

The "thanks" wave is  single motion done only once and generally only that car sees it.  The "oh shit look out wave" is several more frantic-type motions. I've never seen the two confused.

EvergreenDan wrote:

A question about lifting to let your friend in second place pass. Is this fair to the car in first place?

I would have let the first place car do the same had he not been a d*ck to me in T14 earlier.  besides I didn't look at it as helping him win, more like not helping him lose by being in the way.  He was much faster anyway so he would have passed me regardless.  I just makde it easy for him...and agian would have done so for the leader had he been more courteous a little earlier that session.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

[
The "thanks" wave is  single motion done only once and generally only that car sees it.  The "oh shit look out wave" is several more frantic-type motions. I've never seen the two confused.

Yep. Two distinctly different actions.

ninetyfourintegra wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

[

Yep. Two distinctly different actions.

Kinda like this?

http://www.mendhak.com/extras/team_america_wave.gif

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

All i need is the towel and I could totally pull that off. I don't think the corner workers would like me to be unbelted like that though.

or riding as a passenger.  or having those strings attached to your arms.  or being made of wood.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

suspension of disbelief never took hold, damnit!

Maybe add an AK-47 and scream "Death to America the great Satan!"...do this on Sunday afternoon  to avoid ruining your whole weekend...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Maybe add an AK-47 and scream "Death to America the great Satan!"...do this on Sunday afternoon  to avoid ruining your whole weekend...

alalalalalalalalalalalalala

Serj wrote:

All i need is the towel and I could totally pull that off. I don't think the corner workers would like me to be unbelted like that though.

So you already have the pube patches on yuor face?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

73 (edited by Rockford Brodie 2009-10-22 12:53 PM)

jimeditorial wrote:

Or do it on Friday and win an award!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/Cajun_Jihadis_Brandishing-504px.jpg

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

74 (edited by Riktor 2009-10-23 11:19 AM)

You know this thread just gave me an awesome idea for a theme that COULD but probably WONT get you out of a jam for Dive Bombing...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/suicide-bomber-7.jpg

Sons of STIG

I hate to revive this thread from the dead, but I was the driver in the aforementioned contact.  On the way into that turn, I was planning on tucking in behind the BMW, but when he stayed out I figured he saw me and was going to let me by.  By the time I figured out he was coming down it was way too late.  I'm pretty sure we ended up hitting essentially door-to-door.

I apologized because I should have realized that he had no way to know I was there.  However, hindsight is 20/20.  When you're out on track you don't always think of stuff like that.  I don't think it was 100% my fault, but I could have prevented it.

I think in general most Lemons drivers are pretty good about not blocking.  Its frustrating getting stuck behind a Buick (yes, that was me too) but when you finally get by them and leave them in the dust it feels REALLY good.  That being said, I generally don't trust people to give me an apex if I have a nose in on them, especially people in big boats that can't turn.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again