Topic: Expenses for street car creature comforts

If a <$500 LeMon is used on the street before hitting the track, do you have to account in the budget for repairs that offer no advantage at the track?

I can understand that, say, a new power steering pump or radiator should count, but what about an a/c compressor, a power window motor, or a CD player?

Re: Expenses for street car creature comforts

Yes, you do.  That's why most of us throw all of that junk out.  If it's not for safety or for the theme, it counts.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I'd say no, UNLESS you intend to use the AC while on the track.

4.2.1 specifically lists the following under "safety equipment":
Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)

So, I guess you could almost get away with AC system under that.  But, if it's non-track stuff that you're putting in the car specifically for its street-duty, I wouldn't sweat it.

If you're paranoid about it, do a separate budget sheet for those items so that you can answer the judges questions honestly if they ask them.

Of course, the smart thing to do would be to just REMOVE those items before you put the car on track.  Why carry around all that extra weight or have extra stuff like the AC compressor taking up space under the hood?  (I've watched the local Z team take a fully street-worthy car and essentially strip it for race-duty at CMP at two different races now, so you wouldn't be the first!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

doctawife wrote:

If it's not for safety or for the theme, it counts.

Theme stuff is "supposed" to count.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Loren hit it on the head.

You can run a complete A/C system and it won't count towards the budget but considering the pain you'll be putting the system through on track... i would bring a back-up way of keeping your drivers cool. Having to service an A/C system track-side isn't advantageous.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

6 (edited by hrlyTCH 2009-10-24 06:57 PM)

we still have the a/c in our teams car. it worsk and is fully functional minus the fact that going into a 3rd race (cmp south 09 spring) i found out i cut the wires to the temp control module which had it locked to a/c 100% of the time.

our team/group has on more then one occasion thought about removing it. simply being the car itself in stock street trim before race prep tipped the scale around 4-5k lbs but we just keep putting it off

to be honest on a hot race day and long asses full course yellow that a/c come quite in handy even with no glass or door seals on the car to contain it. we did consider ducting it to specific driver points. once again we just keep putting it off.

i think if we do a 2010 race it may actually get removed except for the blower fan and control plus vents. on the simple fact we have to replace the radiator in it. but we dont wan to just open it up and let the freon vent to atmosphere. so we either tow it somewhere or i can take a chance an sneek it 10 miles up the road to work and have the system vacced for removal. (we have to rent something to move it or call aaa)

then again like they said above its best to dump the weight simplest race trick in the book... less weight mean more accel. on the same amout of power in some case dumping the a/c will add 3-5 hp.

its all about power to weight ratio when comes to get up and go and even hitting the corners.