Topic: Dyno at Lemons events

Why hasn't someone convinced a shop with a portable dyno machine to show up at the Lemons races.. it would hilarious to dyno some of these junkers...Maybe see some of them blow on the dyno as well lol .

Re: Dyno at Lemons events

Longhorn Raceworks at MSR Houston has a dyno.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

There is a shop at Thill that does dyno runs

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

What, you think some teams might have cheaty engines? No way!

The logistics of dyno-ing cars during the BS inspection would be nightmarish, given the crazy pace when we have 100+ cars, so we just hand out penalty laps based on cruel whims instead of science. But hey, didja notice how much less cruel we are with Buick Rivieras and Peugeot 505s?

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- why would we need a dyno?

These are all legitimate $500 cars, right?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- why would we need a dyno?

These are all legitimate $500 cars, right?

Junkyard Turbo?!

http://www.zuwharrie.com/watermark.php?image=gallery/albums/userpics/10154/turbozuki2.jpg

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I'm not sure the OP was saying that we should Dyno cars for finding cheaters... I think he's saying "we should dyno these shitboxes to see how pathetic they truly are"..  I bet we'd find at least 1-2 cars per event that had sub-30 whp.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

I'm curious as well.  How many horses have left the engine bay since the car was new back in 1977??

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

NDGeist wrote:

I'm not sure the OP was saying that we should Dyno cars for finding cheaters... I think he's saying "we should dyno these shitboxes to see how pathetic they truly are"

That is what I took from the OP as well.  I know I'd love to run ours on a dyno.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Ever since the Kielbasa Kids won, I stopped worrying about power....why the obsession with big numbers?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

11 (edited by YesIFit 2009-10-20 09:37 AM)

I'll trust Top Gear...

4 years ago, they tested a 1984 euro e24 (635csi) and got a top speed of 115mph, 30 mph down from the original 142 that it could do new.

I'm thinking our "sitting in a field in Bowie, TX for 3 years" 633csi is not going to fair quite so well...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Maybe have an award for lowest HP?

It would be fun to know which horses are still here, and which ones have died. (most likely electrocuted - Lucas style). We could even name the survivors.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

yokel wrote:

I like that idea.  Lowest HP w/ Highest finish

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

justa4banger wrote:

Why hasn't someone convinced a shop with a portable dyno machine to show up at the Lemons races.. it would hilarious to dyno some of these junkers...Maybe see some of them blow on the dyno as well lol .

Pretty sure they had one at Thunderhill last year. We decided not to depress ourselves though.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

a before vs. after dyno would have been funny. we probably had almost 100HP before nelson ledges. when we left we barely had enough power to make it on the trailer.

SharkBait wrote:

Pretty sure they had one at Thunderhill last year. We decided not to depress ourselves though.

Yeah, because your car needs MORE BOOST! You need combustion temperatures hotter than the surface of the Sun!

A DYNO run??  You gotta be kidding me.  The real Lemons cars barely run.  Remember the first Houston event, right after the Hurricane so the teams got screwed out of that last two weeks of prep time?  There were so many cars that could not even make it around the track that yellow flag laps were more common than green for quite a while, as the crap boxes were towed off (ours one of them!).  Making people run on a dyno, you might have blown motors before they even hit the track.  Of course there were some fast running cars that it would have been interesting to check out.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

19 (edited by Riktor 2009-10-22 06:16 AM)

yokel wrote:

DYNO ATE MY BABY award?

For those who self destruct on the exit dyno...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I think it would be fun for the judges to hand-pick a few cars for the dyno looking for the highest and lowest HP.  More awards are always fun.  Strictly optional, as time allows, ymmv, etc, &tc.

Really though, if a car blows up on the dyno, it was going to blow up on the track. Might be a good way to weed out cars which would just be yellow flag causers. Of course, I'm not seriously proposing this.

yokel wrote:

Really though, if a car blows up on the dyno, it was going to blow up on the track. Might be a good way to weed out cars which would just be yellow flag causers. Of course, I'm not seriously proposing this.

Yes you are...

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:
yokel wrote:

Yes you are...

SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

MurileeMartin wrote:
SharkBait wrote:

Yeah, because your car needs MORE BOOST! You need combustion temperatures hotter than the surface of the Sun!

You're so right. Once that new HG goes in and the exhaust header occlusion is fixed, the temptation to add another 3 or 4 psi might be overwhelming. Just enough to keep Eyesore in our rear view for a couple of laps before it explodes in a cloud of steam... And, more importantly, to totally ignore the fact we're still not in the top 10 (unlike Eyesore) despite being uber fast (for 10 laps).

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

MCE racing at Thunderhill has a dynojet....

Hmm...I think it would be VERY interesting to dyno every Lemons racecar....or at least have "awards" for it....high #, low # and 1st to blow up on the dyno.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2