1 (edited by DC Doug 2012-09-25 08:36 PM)

Topic: Tech Inspections - Serious Bidness

Tech is getting more rigorous these days.  At CMP last weekend I witnessed several tech failures on things that previously passed or passed w/ a 'fix it before your next race' advice.

A dozen cars (all long time Lemons cars) at CMP were failed because they had Kirkey style aluminum seats and no bracing behind the headrest.  If you can push on the headrest of your seat and there is any deflection/give you will likely be required to install a backing plate - similar to what is required if your seat back is 6" or more from the main hoop horizontal bar.

I've seen a few fuel vent catch cans in Lemons - though I thought the rules said vents must exit the interior.  Well, they will fail you for a catch can now.

Fuel cells with plumbers tape / thin strapping securing the top of the cell to the chassis is now also an automatic fail.  Jay called us (NSF) out on the Benz at CMP and the fix (angle iron halo) almost certainly prevented the rollover from becoming a flaming rollover.  The entire cell cage was torqued to crap after the rollover and I'm sure the original setup would have ended very badly.

If anyone else is aware of stuff that used to pass (this year) and appears to no longer be allowed, please share.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Re: Tech Inspections - Serious Bidness

We got called out on the Kirkey head rest. We have a seat back brace but they want the headrest portion reinforced or a back stop from the shoulder harness entry hole up. I guess they have seen them fold at that belt hole point. That's not good for your neck bones. We'll take the advise and remedy with two 3/4x3/4x.120 aluminum angle strips tig welded to the seat vertically. It seems like the simplest solution I'll post some pics when it's done.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

Is this an issue to the Kirkey seats? We found a carbon/kevlar one piece race seat that is very rigid, no flex here, but we have the harness bar a little less than 6" behind the seat as prescribed, but no upper seat/headrest support. Are we OK?
We've been very careful to follow the current set of rules.

4 (edited by DC Doug 2012-09-25 07:32 PM)

It's not yet in the rules, but will likely be for 2013.  Jay/Jeff seemed to focus on Kirkey style aluminum seats that have little or no built in bracing between the harness holes and the top of the head rest.  Though, I would imagine, any seat that has a head rest that deflects easily will now require a backing plate to pass tech.

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I know we got snipped at West Virginia over our back brace.  They didn't like the brace being 3" away from the seat.

I assume back brace and hans will be the big changes for next year rules.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Uh oh.  The boat runs a Kirkey.  Looks like we need to add that to our prep list.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

So what kind of bracing are they asking for on Kirkey seats?  Is it bracing back to the cage or ribs added to the back of the seat to provide support?  We are headed to Houston Friday AM and don't need to be trying to meet an unknown standard.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Build a support for the seat back from the shoulders up to the top of the seat.  Apparently,  there has been some folding backward on impact. 

It took the Bee's less than an hour to fix theirs.   

Do it while you are in the garage and not track side; Mary's team will drive by and cut your extension cords with their Z car..

This space for rent.

You can mount it to the horizontal bar between your harness straps just like a seat back brace.  If you've got TIG skillz you can just weld some structure into the seat back.

Sonic wrote:

Uh oh.  The boat runs a Kirkey.  Looks like we need to add that to our prep list.

That's exactly why I'm posting this.  Get you fools ahead of the Friday night drama.

See you at NHMS for Halloween?

The Kirkey seats in question are the Drag style seats with the huge honking shoulder harness hole.  The fix is to add a bar above your harness bar at about the height your head will roll when the LTD rearends you and the seat folds back at the harness hole.  We were allowed to add square tube held in place with U-bolts as a temporary measure, but are expected to bring a real solution to the next race.  You may need to bend the tube to ensure it is close (within 6 inches) to the seat.  If you are running with a seat slider, I'd suggest an email to The Evil One to get an acceptable solution.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

DC Doug wrote:

I've seen a few fuel vent catch cans in Lemons - though I thought the rules said vents must exit the interior.  Well, they will fail you for a catch can now.

wait, you mean something like this?

vent goes to a catch can, and then 3 loops above and down to the truck floor with a mini-cone filter on a bulkhead connector. i made the catch can specifically because i wanted to go all out on safety..

http://www.icedhay.com/images/lemons2012/fuel%20cell.JPG

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

No, your catch can ultimately vents to the exterior.  Some cell vents terminate to a catch can (period) rather than ultimately exiting the vehicle.  Lemons is looking to avoid a bucket of open fuel in the trunk.

By the way, Olaaf, no one knows what's going on with your car.  Open any lid/trunk/hatch or peer into the window and you are assaulted with a dizzying array of wires, hoses and electronic equipment.

You should just consider racing your P70 on the Moon.

DC Doug wrote:

By the way, Olaaf, no one knows what's going on with your car.  Open any lid/trunk/hatch or peer into the window and you are assaulted with a dizzying array of wires, hoses and electronic equipment.

You should just consider racing your P70 on the Moon.

lol. i added a whole new bank of switches, LED's, and sensors for NHMS, but i plan to go all out on electronics & sensors for next year.

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

Of course you did.  You'll be the first Lemons team to go driverless.

No backstays aft of the rear axle. We were told that we will fail next year because of this.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

We lucked out with the CRX.  Our backstays terminate literally at the rear edge of the rear tires.  If I switch to smaller tires I think it would fail.  Jay almost failed us until he eyeballed the alignment and noticed we were within an half inch of the rear of the tires.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

I watched Jay on two different occasions earlier this year grab the top of an aluminum drag seat (not Kirkey brand-- but one was Jegs- the other not exactly sure what it was) and push on it and fold it over/back at nearly a 90 degree angle with almost no effort.

Not all aluminum seats are made the same:

http://performanceparts.com/performance_parts_images/rci_8440S.jpg

vs

http://www.carshopinc.com/images/KIR41700.JPG

vs

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/images/Thumbnails/47%20SERIES%20-%20RIGHT_Medium.JPG

vs

https://www.circletracksupply.com/images/D/PMU-SEAT1-3.jpg

With many more in between.

I don't know how anybody could feel safe in a sheetmetal seat with no added structure.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

So would an I/O port back brace or equivilant be acceptable, if mounted at an upward angle from the harness bar to the center of the "headrest" area of the seat?

How about a piece of tubing welded to the harness bar that points up at an angle, with a large plate on the end?

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

So would an I/O port back brace or equivilant be acceptable, if mounted at an upward angle from the harness bar to the center of the "headrest" area of the seat?

How about a piece of tubing welded to the harness bar that points up at an angle, with a large plate on the end?

Both (equivilant) solutions were approved at CMP.

23 (edited by Scotty 2012-09-26 11:40 AM)

This is our seat and the red box indicates the adjustable seat back brace main plate. We will be adding (Welding) aluminum ribs as indicated with the red lines.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff42/flyhiflylo/2011%20Lemons%20build%20IROC%20MAIDEN/seat.jpg

#3 IROC MAIDEN

If it helps, we run a Ultra Shield Spec Miata seat which passed with no problems. It has two harness holes and the backrest has a 'V' shape (as viewed from above) which stiffens it nicely. Those fit easily in small/narrow cars; our 19" seat is normally mounted in a Triumph Spitfire.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Once again I'm glad we have the Corbeau.  Fiberglass Shell means not flexible, plus the padding makes it rather comfy to sit in.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page