Topic: Yokohama es100 vs ?

I bought a set of these, basically because they have a low wear rating and reasonable price, AND they fit a 14" wheel.

Somebody was trash talking these, but as I ran the last two races on Federal all-season radials, the Yoko's gotta be an improvement.

Other thought was the Dunlop Direzza. Thoughts?

Re: Yokohama es100 vs ?

Caf'n Unlimited wrote:

I bought a set of these, basically because they have a low wear rating and reasonable price, AND they fit a 14" wheel.

Somebody was trash talking these, but as I ran the last two races on Federal all-season radials, the Yoko's gotta be an improvement.

Other thought was the Dunlop Direzza. Thoughts?

ES100's are pretty damn decent.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

The yoks are probably a big step up from all season tires. We had ES100's on a diesel benz back at an altamont race and they were pretty grippy.

The best Lemons treadwear compliant 14" tire is the falken azenis rt-615.

I think you'll have to go up to 15" to get a Dunlop performance tire. The Dunlop Direzza z1 Star Spec comes in a 195/55/15.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

ecugrad wrote:

Maybe if you're still living in 1993 but not these days. I was so uninspired by the last set I had that I replaced them before they were near worn out. There are many better choices out there, especially the before-mentioned Dunlops and several different Bridgestones.

Solracer wrote:
ecugrad wrote:

Maybe if you're still living in 1993 but not these days. I was so uninspired by the last set I had that I replaced them before they were near worn out. There are many better choices out there, especially the before-mentioned Dunlops and several different Bridgestones.

I didn't say they were world dominators, but they are better than pulling tires from the junkyard.

I guess my decent != your decent.  Sorry.....

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

6 (edited by Solracer 2009-10-24 10:34 PM)

ecugrad wrote:

I didn't say they were world dominators, but they are better than pulling tires from the junkyard.

I guess my decent != your decent.  Sorry.....

Well my perception is colored by the fact I live in Seattle and the ES100s are poor rain tires and little more than slicks in the snow. Spun my Audi 90 Quattro down a hill one winter (thankfully hitting nothing) and replaced them with Bridgestone RE-950s the next week. Probably not relevant to racing but if it rains you'll be happy you picked something else.

i like 'um. they work great for me in los angeles. wear pritty bad but i like the stability on my skinny wheels.

shame they are discontinued though. ive tried falken zeixs and found them to be wobbly on my car.

im interested to hear what some one else would recommend for good tires on 195/60r15...

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

who has good exp with the direzzas?

We'll be racing Direzza DZ101's at ChumpCar Portland this weekend.  Seem to be a damn good tire.

The ES100's are total crap.  I'm clearly with the negative crowd.  They were on my car when I got it, and every set of tires I"ve put on since have been better, including a set of 400 treadwear all-season Fuzion HRi's.  Try Toyo T1R.

jerjozwik wrote:

i like 'um. they work great for me in los angeles. wear pritty bad but i like the stability on my skinny wheels.

shame they are discontinued though. ive tried falken zeixs and found them to be wobbly on my car.

im interested to hear what some one else would recommend for good tires on 195/60r15...

first year i raced (Detroit/Flatrock 07) we ran some slightly fatter BFGoodrich g-force Sport tires about that size. they did quite well for being practically stock size and CHEAP (philiptire online had them for like $62/piece vs $68 @ tirerack)

might wanna check'em out.

troubleonwheels wrote:

The ES100's are total crap.  I'm clearly with the negative crowd.  They were on my car when I got it, and every set of tires I"ve put on since have been better, including a set of 400 treadwear all-season Fuzion HRi's.  Try Toyo T1R.

better and crap are so very descriptive. im wondering what it is exactly that is turning you sour with these tires.    grip? treadware? noise? what is it?

seems my car sucks to much to really get to the limits then, because i think these handle well.

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

12 (edited by sergio 2009-10-27 07:24 PM)

Caf'n Unlimited wrote:

who has good exp with the direzzas?

We just put 640 racing miles at MSRH this on a new set of Direzza Star Specs. 225/50-16, 7.5" wide rims. Didn't even rotate them. For the next MSRH race we will rotate them. Should get 2 races out of them with no trouble. This is on a 3100lb SHO. The Dunlop are far less greasy when hot then the RT-615's. For us it's an easy tire to drive fast on, from begining to end the car handled the same.

I'll have to get the tread wear indicator form work to see how much rubber we used.

Not sure how much rubber the tires came with, but the fronts have 6/32nds left and the rears 9/32nds.