Topic: Has there ever been a Slant 6 car at 24 H.O.L.?

I guess that pretty much says all I need to say. We've started car shopping and we'd really like to run a Slant 6 car, and in the discussion, none of us could recall a car with that engine ever running in one of the races. Can anyone with a better memory than ours and a cursory Google search help us out?

Please and thank you!

Re: Has there ever been a Slant 6 car at 24 H.O.L.?

No one has ever run a Slant Six car at the 24 Hours Of Lemons.

Would a Slant 6 be considered an unfair advantage?

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Hmmm....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1437113524.html

atomicalex wrote:

Would a Slant 6 be considered an unfair advantage?

An excellent question. Would we receive 1,000,000 BS laps for having an "indestructable" engine, or would we slide right through for trying something different? Something that would be good to know before we bothered working on it. Our other option is a 318 V8, but where's the fun in that?

According to the Size Matters Fury guys, who know old Mopars the way Osama bin Laden knows the Koran (and with much the same fundamentalist fervor), the Slant Six's oiling system isn't well-suited for this kind of racing.

However, I know someone who mistook her Dart's oil filler cap for the radiator cap, filled the engine up with water, and drove it that way for a month. Brown foam spewing out the tailpipe the whole time, hydrolocking away with a terrible pounding noise, the works. She asked me to take a look at it (eventually she figured out that the problems weren't going to fix themselves), I drained the very, very emulsified oil/coolant mix and put real oil in, and it worked fine!

So don't worry about the so-called weak oiling system, because the Slant Six doesn't need oil! It will outlive all of us! In fact, why doesn't someone put a Slant Six in an E30? You'd be heroes!

MurileeMartin wrote:

the Slant Six's oiling system isn't well-suited for this kind of racing.

I've heard this as well, but I've got a local Slant guru who has been mulling over a unique solution to the problem. I have talked to several guys that road race slants and have had great success with no modifications to the oil system at all!

We'd really like to try doing a Slant since we're all big fans of the engine  and, as the Bandit said, "It ain't ever been done before."

And since we're swapping Slanted Tales, I talked to a gent that had a '74 Valiant that had a cylinder blow a fist size hole in the block. He dumped oil in the top and drove it home.

8 (edited by TeamDFL 2009-10-26 01:01 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

So don't worry about the so-called weak oiling system, because the Slant Six doesn't need oil! It will outlive all of us! In fact, why doesn't someone put a Slant Six in an E30? You'd be heroes!

If you put one in an E30 M3 or a Porsche, you will be a god.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

I had a slant 6 that had a bad radiator hose.  Damn thing overheated and siezed the motor at about 9pm on a Friday night.  The first 2 gallons of water I put in boiled and spit back out.  Sounded like "CRACK! gurgle, Kableww") The second two gallons stayed.  I left the radiator cap on loose so it wouldn't build pressure and leak out the upper radiator hose.  Put a new hose on and drove it daily for about 6 years after that.  A slant six would be a cool LeMon motor.  Just do it!
smile

the Slant Six's oiling system isn't well-suited for this kind of racing.

My first car was a '61 Valiant.

A slant six will last...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I was rear-ended at a 1/3 mile bullring in a '71 Demon with a Slant Six in 1979...the car folded so badly that the rescue crew had to cut me out...the crew later reached in and hit the button and the damn thing started! Everyone I know who's owned one has a story. Somebody build one. You won't win, but you will finish.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

+1

I O E contender or maybe Peoples choice

slant six would definately put you in contention for either i would think

at least i'd vote for ya on one of those if not both (if possible)

thats how heavy metal racing made I.O.E. at cmp

they werent fastest but oddly they didnt look slowest

they stayed out they had fun didnt get into very much trouble other then being big-arsed road block in the turns and crossed the line at the checkered flag suprisingly under its own power.

Slant-6 Z-car?

wouldn't that be epic? wink

a chrysler slant-6 I think is one of those motors that ranks "apocalypse-proof" in the durability category. I was SERIOUSLY trying to get an OLLDDDDDDD lancer that was really rough but still ran and had the push-button auto transmission. it would have been sweeeet.

Man, a lot of great stories about Slants here. I have quite a few myself courtesy of my '64 Valiant. I actually killed the original 170 after ramp jumping the Valiant and blowing out the oil pan. The engine threw a rod...six weeks later.

The '76 225 truck block that replaced it has driven the car from Florida and Indiana and back in the dead of summer, sat for six months and started right up again, and is currently undergoing an extensive rebuild including new cam, cylinder head, four barrel and dual exhaust.

I'm really hoping we can get all our pennies together to bring a project to the track. We're hoping for a 63-75 Valiant to capture the full economy image of the humble slant. If we're going to race in the 24 Hours of Lemons, why not do it with some style?

searching for a Dodge Dart with the 'three on the tree'...1964 ( like my last one )

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I actually have a /6 sitting in the garage at my mom's house, and a Volvo 850 in need of an engine...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I've never been compared to the Koran before but I think I like it.

A slant 6 would be a great Lemons motor and you should definitely do it.  They do have oiling problems and but even if you run it dry they will keep on going.  We would try and give it a go but already have a C-Body built.  If we ever killed our car we would probably try and do an A-Body.  If you want to do it get a 73-76 A-Body with disc brakes.  You would most likely need to upgrade the rear end since it would have a 7 1/4 but 8 1/4 A-Body rear ends are cheap and fairly easy to find.  One of the reasons we run a C-Body is because they all came with 8 3/4 rear ends (well, most of them).  An 8 3/4 for an A-Body is close to $500 alone.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

An F-body /6 wagon would be incredibly easy to theme, relatively light and economical, and fun as hell to drive. Especially with a 4-speed. big_smile

Somebody was telling me about a car show activity where three junkyard engines were "raced".  They took the oil pans off all three, fired them up on test stands, and let them run to the point of self-destruction.

The first two died after a couple minutes.  The slant 6 was declared the winner, but they wanted push it to destruction so they could determine the margin of victory.  Eventually everybody got bored waiting and they switched it off, still operable.

ronman wrote:

An F-body /6 wagon would be incredibly easy to theme, relatively light and economical, and fun as hell to drive. Especially with a 4-speed. big_smile

You should have bid on the Volare, it met 3 of your 4 qualifications.

I have a thing for wagons, having spent most of my childhood in them... smile

Oh, I understand, wagons are pretty terrific, I've got one myself (Subaru, not Chrysler).  It'd still be interesting to see the Volare out on the course though.

rocketresto wrote:

I've never been compared to the Koran before but I think I like it.

Great to have you chime in! A big fan of your race team. I've got a buddy down here that was one of the first people to get the bright idea to run a turbocharged Slant. He knows Slants and A bodies better than...just about anyone. He's been cooking up some ideas to help with the oiling problem that sound pretty wild and use only scrap metal and tubing. We're looking forward to giving it a try. We've got a specific car in mind, and if it comes through, we should have quite the vehicle on our hands.