Topic: Upcoming Chump Race

So Chump's first race is this weekend.

Who's going and who's gonna to report back on it?

Jonny and Phil, are you guys gonna be there?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Re: Upcoming Chump Race

I'm interested to see how this goes as well.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I have a 4 minute commute to the track... I can't wait!

Portland is a bit far for me, but I plan to check out the Infineon race.

Team Size Does Matter will be at Portland, should be interesting.  Really hoping it doesn't rain since we don't have wipers.  Really, really, really hoping it doesn't rain...

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

rocketresto wrote:

Team Size Does Matter will be at Portland, should be interesting.  Really hoping it doesn't rain since we don't have wipers.  Really, really, really hoping it doesn't rain...

Rain-X + speed = wiper

reversed darwinism will be there.  We have wipers but no defroster.  Or heater.  Why did we take out the darn heater.  lol.  Will report back my experience.

bring a hair dryer and an inverter and you are good to go...

Oh, duct tape and zip ties too of course smile

i have a trucker-style dash fan from napa, all you need is to put your heater core back in...or a bike rad would do it

We had the same hair dryer idea at NL after having a really bad fogging problem during the (very damp) Friday night practice session.

However, you need a BIG inverter for the hair dryer to work.  The 400 Watt inverter we already had in our Audi at NL would not even handle the hair dryer (that we bought on race day morning) on the lowest setting.

We ended up using a no fog compound on the windshield and directed our dryer air duct fresh air supply directly onto the windshield.  Didn't have problems but Sat night was nowhere near as cold and wet as the previous night.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

Yeah, even the crappiest hair dryer is gonna be rated in the 1000W range on its lowest setting... which means you need a big, $200ish inverter, and a charging system that can handle the added, like, 50A draw.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

looks like the judges let a bunch of  (if not cheaters) overspent cars into the race w/o penalty.  Quite a few racers were not pleased.

So whats the relationship between Chump and Lemons?  They seem eerily similar.

harddriveracing.com wrote:

John Condren (sp?) raced in and supported Lemons during the early Altamont years, and is now running his own series.  Apparently there's some sort of gentleman's agreement not to run in each other's territory, but I don't think there's any official connection.

They're similar because it is in ChumpCar's interest to have a similar ruleset (so that Lemons veterans provide a customer base).

The main difference between the series (as far as I can tell) is that ChumpCar is a more serious version of Lemons: they don't take bribes during BS inspection, it's ok to show up and say you're there to win the race, the penalties are a bit less haphazard, the claiming rule looks like it might get enforced, and there's no people's curse or similar things.  ChumpCar appears to be more about "how fast can you go for $500", whereas Lemons is more "what's the crappiest car you can make run an endurance race?".  Reading the rulebook, the differences between the two series really stand out as "things John thought were wrong with Lemons", and they generally fall into the category of making the series more about racing and (IMO) less about outright ridiculousness.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

bongle wrote:

John Condren (sp?) raced in and supported Lemons during the early Altamont years, and is now running his own series.  Apparently there's some sort of gentleman's agreement not to run in each other's territory, but I don't think there's any official connection.

They're similar because it is in ChumpCar's interest to have a similar ruleset (so that Lemons veterans provide a customer base).

The main difference between the series (as far as I can tell) is that ChumpCar is a more serious version of Lemons: they don't take bribes during BS inspection, it's ok to show up and say you're there to win the race, the penalties are a bit less haphazard, the claiming rule looks like it might get enforced, and there's no people's curse or similar things.  ChumpCar appears to be more about "how fast can you go for $500", whereas Lemons is more "what's the crappiest car you can make run an endurance race?".  Reading the rulebook, the differences between the two series really stand out as "things John thought were wrong with Lemons", and they generally fall into the category of making the series more about racing and (IMO) less about outright ridiculousness.

This, exactly.  The gentleman's agreement seems to be a bit tenuous with the 2010 Lemons schedule just released.  Either way, the goal is for the same car to be able to race in both series without much modification.

bongle wrote:

...The main difference between the series (as far as I can tell) is that ChumpCar is a more serious version of Lemons: they don't take bribes during BS inspection, it's ok to show up and say you're there to win the race, the penalties are a bit less haphazard, the claiming rule looks like it might get enforced, and there's no people's curse or similar things.  ChumpCar appears to be more about "how fast can you go for $500", whereas Lemons is more "what's the crappiest car you can make run an endurance race?".  Reading the rulebook, the differences between the two series really stand out as "things John thought were wrong with Lemons", and they generally fall into the category of making the series more about racing and (IMO) less about outright ridiculousness.

heh. I'd be inclined to try that flavor of koolaid except I'm reminded of a certain conversation i had with a friend once; it goes something like this:

((Keep in mind I'm not about to bring any sort of religious debate anywhere near this forum and this opinion of mine is mine alone. please don't debate or trash/argue the religious angle the conversation originally came from))

friend: "Lutherans, particularly Martin Luther, blah blah blah*insert differences between Lutherans & Catholics here*blah blah"

me: "So they're like Catholics, only they're assholes?"

friend: "*Laughs* Yeah, that sounds about right!"

Replace ChumpCar with Lutheran and Catholic with Lemons, and I think that conversation may work out the same way.

I was just thinking about that religious analogy and I think it fits.

The first race went pretty well I think (well except for us, we blew up our motor 3 hours into the race!).  It had some problems (especially on the valuation/inspection end) but for a first race I think it went pretty well.  Will see if they can keep it up.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

AndyDenver wrote:

Straight from Sire Jay Lamm himself:

"There's absolutely no affiliation. Nobody from ChumpCar has or ever had anything to do with Lemons, beyond renting us dates on their (apparently now out-of-business) racetrack.

We don't endorse/approve/co-operate or anything else. Anything you've heard to the contrary is 100% bull, and it certainly didn't come from us."

Heard about the same thing from Jay as well as Nick.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

rocketresto wrote:

The first race went pretty well I think (well except for us, we blew up our motor 3 hours into the race!).  It had some problems (especially on the valuation/inspection end) but for a first race I think it went pretty well.  Will see if they can keep it up.

Care to elaborate on the valuation/inspection?

Personally, I think almost all Plymouth's are worthless.  The only one we had made the Fiat and Gremlin look great.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

20 (edited by RobL 2009-11-02 12:38 PM)

Basically there are no allowances for converables to be run in Chumpcar.  There was at least one Miata with a hardtop that got no laps.  Seeing that Miata hardtops cost more than $800 used, there was some concerns about the values of the cars.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

21 (edited by bongle 2009-11-02 12:55 PM)

Replace ChumpCar with Lutheran and Catholic with Lemons, and I think that conversation may work out the same way.

I didn't mean to make any judgments; there are certainly positive things to be said about taking the racing component more seriously.  I think the ChumpCar approach has lots of advantages if you're of a more competitive mindset and get your fun from racing for position rather than the "relax and race" approach of Lemons.

Having written all those words though, I think the actual experience on track and in the pits will be about the same, because it'll be the same people.  People will still share tools and help out at both events, people will still be amateur drivers, and nasty rumours will still spread (see: Dragon Porsche @ NL, miatas at the just-completed chump event).

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

bongle wrote:

I can't speak on ChumpCar--as mentioned, there's no affiliation--and I definitely can't say that Lemons ISN'T about "outright ridiculousness," but I also don't think it's fair to say that Lemons teams can't take the racing seriously. Here are three random points on that subject:

-We have transponders. If we didn't care about who won, we wouldn't keep score! (Plus, those things are a PITA to rent/deal with, and we wouldn't if we didn't think they were important.)

-Generally speaking, 1/2 of a Lemons field is made up of "serious" racers, and the other half not. We do our best to appeal equally to both groups.

-Pratt and Miller, the guys behind the ultra-successful Corvette Racing program, have run Lemons three times. You can't find many more serious racers than P&M.

Ultimately, I'm not sure you can divide racing into "serious" and "ridiculous." However, I think you can divide racing into "getting it" and "not getting it." Cars are fun--that's why we love them. People who "don't get it" are those who take the fun away from cars. With Lemons, we tried to create something that emphasized and encouraged the pure essence of car fun--all of the different elements of a Lemons weekend serve to remind people of why we're into cars in the first place. Being "serious" doesn't conflict with "fun"--in fact, one of the nice things about a Lemons race is you can tailor it to your own sensibilities. If having live telemetry and choreographed pit stops is fun for you, we won't stop you from doing it. If dressing up as a chicken floats your boat, you can do that, too.

We've made a conscious effort not to limit the ways in which different teams can enjoy themselves--as long as you're contributing to the success of that plan, you're more than welcome at Lemons.

23 (edited by troubleonwheels 2009-11-02 12:59 PM)

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

If having live telemetry and choreographed pit stops is fun for you, we won't stop you from doing it. If dressing up as a chicken floats your boat, you can do that, too.

Funny you should mention that.

At ChumpCar PIR this weekend:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2449/4060283488_029e3c28d4.jpg

you can see the rest of the 'seriousness' here, from one competitors photo set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontbecree … 575379265/

AndyDenver wrote:
yamato wrote:

looks like the judges let a bunch of  (if not cheaters) overspent cars into the race w/o penalty.  Quite a few racers were not pleased.

I heard the whole thing was a bit long faced from the start based on the judging.

You heard wrong.  There were people upset at it, we acknowledged their point of view when they brought it up to us.  We could have and perhaps should have been more strict.  This was the first time for judging for 100% of the judges, and it was a learning experience.  With time will come maturity and consistency.  There is a thread I personally posted on the ChumpCar forum addressing this subject in detail if you want to know more.

The weekend was a blast for 99% of participants.

Nick,

It's nice to see your commentary on this.

I have raced with plenty of SCCA and NASA guys whole absolutely love Lemons.

MSR was raced just like the SCCA race earlier this year with two main exceptions:
     1. There were about 100 more cars.
     2. We raced for many hours not minutes.

Like Nick said, if crazy themes are our thing, bring them on.  If you want to go fast, may the force be with you. 

If you mess up, they've got a penalty for that and you might not like it.

As far as I am concerned everyone should be here to have a good time.  As long as those good times don't conflict it's all good.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z