Re: Upcoming Chump Race

Chump or Lemons I just want to run at Nelsons again.  Whats with this South Haven stuff?  Oh yeah and Mid october midwest races is just asking for Lemons on snow.

After watching the Porsche guys get cash for clunkered I kinda wonder if the Peoples Curse should be weight in your racecar instead of blowd em up.

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Chump or Lemons I just want to run at Nelsons again.  Whats with this South Haven stuff?  Oh yeah and Mid october midwest races is just asking for Lemons on snow.

Mid October could be very nice or cold and rainy/snowy.  I'm much more worried about the Gingerman race in mid April.  There is a very good chance of crappy weather that early in the year.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Ultimately, I'm not sure you can divide racing into "serious" and "ridiculous." However, I think you can divide racing into "getting it" and "not getting it." Cars are fun--that's why we love them. People who "don't get it" are those who take the fun away from cars. With Lemons, we tried to create something that emphasized and encouraged the pure essence of car fun--all of the different elements of a Lemons weekend serve to remind people of why we're into cars in the first place. Being "serious" doesn't conflict with "fun"--in fact, one of the nice things about a Lemons race is you can tailor it to your own sensibilities. If having live telemetry and choreographed pit stops is fun for you, we won't stop you from doing it. If dressing up as a chicken floats your boat, you can do that, too.

We've made a conscious effort not to limit the ways in which different teams can enjoy themselves--as long as you're contributing to the success of that plan, you're more than welcome at Lemons.

Nick, this is the very reason why I'd stand by Lemons over another event. I personally want to race seriously, I'd love to win/go pro/earn a living/aspire to fame doing this, but will not getting all that prevent me from trying again or deter me from all this?

Heck No!

I love the spectacle, the whimsy, and the fact that you could have 2 COMPLETELY different cars racing their hearts out side by side... This is like the Woodstock of racing, all those different approaches intermingle, and by the end of an event, I'm only either frustrated I couldn't do it longer, or satisfied from just being able to share the experience. I put down far more hours in one weekend in the hot seat at Nelson Ledges than i have put in at any other race, and despite some bad things that befell my team, it left some sort of inner peace that i desperately needed from the experience. I don't think there's any lower cost of admission anywhere for that sort of fun.

The open blend of silly and serious at Lemons is pretty sublime. After experiencing it, I'm not sure home much more serious I'd like to get - I'm completely thrilled with the fact that I can race the way my team chooses and enjoy it so much more for that. It's quite wonderful.

Yes, snow tyres in reserve for the April GingerMan event. The MI VW club has tried to run that weekend a few times, and had to exercise our "snow date" clause. We'll be ready.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

What about studded tires? Are they legal?

sergio wrote:

What about studded tires? Are they legal?

i can't imagine any track owner allowing studded snow tires on their surface.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

32 (edited by timdeckert 2009-11-06 09:00 AM)

I raced at chumpcar.  All racing is fun for me and I really enjoy a weekend at the track with my team. 
The only things that make me uneasy about being associated with chumpcar on the Lemons forum are sort of ethical concerns that just give me a cause to wonder.  It isn't Lemons but their price points and rules came out 3 years later and look very similar or plagarized.  The organizers and admins come on the Lemons forum and talk about how their series is better than Lemons.  That does not seem ethical or right to me and I won't say any more about it.  But I don't think chumpcar organizers should post here.    Hell, maybe I'm biased because I race this crazy series, but it does not seem like they have to resort to advertizing on the Lemons Forum to be successful.  On the admin side all racers ran as they came and no penalties, which is ok.  I can police myself and follow the rules (mostly because I read the cheaters guides).  I'd say you can do what you want.  When I see statements about how bonus laps for donating items to a charity are morally superior to "bribes" to the judges I have to wonder if people understand the concept of "in character". Oh- I got 10 bonus laps at chump and zero and one at 2 Lemons races. 
A Lemons race was my first time ever on a racetrack.  I am a die hard, loyal 24 hours of Lemons fan.  Hardly means I won't give chumpcar a chance.   I had a friggin blast at PIR.  I had friggin blast at Reno, and a friggen blast at Thunderhill before that -though lots of butterflies too.  That's my two cents. 
Tim Deckert

Tim,

Thanks for the report on Chump.

I understand what you are saying about Chump admin coming into the Lemons forum but it doesn't bother me that much.  I think this is kinda like NASA to the SCCA.  They could make fictitious user names so I think it's better to be up front and honest.

I do appreciate the fact that the administrators for Lemons have allowed the discussion about Chump in this forum.  I consider it very rude and disrespectful when they refer to Lemons as "the other race" on the Chump forum.  Especially when Chump "has it's roots in Lemons."  Show some respect.

Since Chump is rooted in Lemons and marketed to the same audience.  The rules are very similar. 

Some notable differences are window net requirements and catch cans.  Jay's opinion on window nets is they cause more trouble than they save.  Obviously John likes them since Chump requires them.

John/Chump does not allow shared helmets.  Everyone I have raced with has their own helmet but a lot of teams try to cut costs by sharing equipment.  With the new fueling requirements, you need a few full sets of gear anyway.

Chump has a 2x OEM Brake and Wheel limit.  I don't think it is really a significant limit but they have one.  I was hoping to see a brake minimum and some kind of inspection.  Most DE tech sheets have some form of brake check and requirement but not Crap Can racing.

This is strictly my opinion, I feel it is a matter of time before there is a accident due to a brake failure.  I was not aware of too many serious brake failures at the recent MSR race.  I have heard of plenty of blown lines and calipers in other races and even a couple of fires due to brakes.

Teams skimping on brakes to save money puts everyone around them at risk.

On a positive note, Chump seems to have put on a successful event.  This gives us more opportunities to race and Chump offers more true 24 hour races.  This is way more hard core to me and much more challenging. 

You think holding a crap can together for 6-8 hours than having 12 hours to tape it back up is hard.  Try going 24 hours straight with no duct tape and bailing wire break at night.

Amidst Chump's desire for thorough inspections and no cheating, there were people whining "cheater."  So I don't think there will ever be a race that someone isn't going to assume a team with a better car isn't cheating. 

In the end, reliability and good driving will get you much farther up in the standings than speed.  However, we are intellectually challenged Z people and we are determine to go fast.  Someday they will lead us away with men in white coats or we might win.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

...However, we are intellectually challenged Z people and we are determine to go fast.  Someday they will lead us away with men in white coats since we can't win.

Fixed it for you Troy tongue

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

35 (edited by timdeckert 2009-11-05 03:36 PM)

Troy,
I have not had a bad day on track yet.  My first 2 driver training days I broke my dd's.  First was an accord wagon that lost an exhaust valve, second was a C4 that lost engine and transmission seals and made a mess on the track.  third one I drove the P71 and no issues!  The brake pads I ran were NAPA severe duty ceramic fleet pads.  They lasted 2 Lemons races with no apparent wear, then went away after a mere 12 hours on the track.  Rear pads went metal to metal with 15 minutes left.  So, I'm stepping up to  edit - performance friction - pads because they will build pads for anything and only take 2-3 days.  I have spent a lot of hours wrenching and hammering in a carport to change an old P71 into a fine racing machine (LOL).   I didn't think the 24 hour format would make as much difference to reliability  And you are right, the good drivers on my team had consistent and faster times than I did.  I'm working on it.  As team cptain I could assign myself any shift I wanted.  I took 0200-0400.  I had fog and the temp drop through the dew point.  I wasn't sure I had the internal fortitude to drive so I got a chance to find out.  smile  My lap times were inconsistant but it was an adventure filled stint. 
Tim

Troy, I'd prefer adding a chicane if needed or choosing tracks with good runoff areas to adding minimum brake rules....part of the experience is learning to manage and build the brakes on the car....and modern machines have dual systems. Maybe have something like a working emergency brake on the very few cars old enough to have single hydraulics, but as soon as you start adding minimum tech rules, you're on the slippery slope to the SCCA, IMO...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Hey Tim...carbotech is offering prebedded pads for $20 more...we went this route after trying to bed in some regular carbotech pads at Reno...the instructions said to brake hard until fade...well, we had them smokin' but could not make them fade!  Anyway, we are trying the prebedded  xp10's at TH stay tuned.

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

I don't understand.  Unless they're selling matched rotors and pads, how can they sell "pre-bedded" brake pads?  Bedding involves transfer of pad material TO the rotors.

Is "pre-bedding" just marketing speak for some kind of treatment that makes it EASIER for new pads to bed in?

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

timdeckert wrote:

I could assign myself any shift I wanted.  I took 0200-0400.  I had fog and the temp drop through the dew point.  I wasn't sure I had the internal fortitude to drive so I got a chance to find out.  smile

I like your attitude Tim.  Reading this made me smile.  Thanks.

-Ryan

Team Unintended Acceleration
2008 YeeHaw It's Texas Lemons
2009 Gator-O-Rama Texas Lemons
2009 YeeHaw It's Texas Lemons

40 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-11-04 08:55 AM)

Seems like looking at the brakes for cracked hoses, cracked rotors, insufficient pad depth (at least for discs), and water in the fluid would be in keeping with the other safety checks that happen at tech.

A much, MUCH bigger issue, IMO, is looking at harness installations during tech. Most brake problems give you some warning (soft pedal, excessive travel, reduced stopping distance, horrible metal-on-metal sound). You won't know that your harnesses failed until you wake up (or not). I'd guess that a quarter of harness installations at NL were bad.

Safety Tech at a race with very inexperienced teams should be strict, IMO, because so many folks are just clueless. (I'm clueless about a lot of stuff, I admit.) Isn't a lot of SCCA/NASA tech about class rules?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Troy wrote:

I don't think there will ever be a race that someone isn't going to assume a team with a better car isn't cheating.

quoted for truth.  and not just in crap can racing.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Post 1:

The brakes on my car caught on fire.

Post 2:

I was one of the inspectors in charge of determining if a car was cheating. I am going to tell you about my experience acting as an inspector, and my opinions on how it went.

Erik
ChumpCar Operations Manager
TroubleOnWheels

Erik,

I don't mean to burn you or put you on the spot. 

I don't know if you did the safety part of inspections.

Unfortunately, this proves my point.

Whether a tech person checks brakes or not, there just shouldn't be fires associated with a braking system.  If it happens, somebody messed up. 

If you're a tech guy and your brakes catch on fire, what does that say?

There shouldn't be fires period.

Chicanes actually promote brake problems.  Less experienced drivers tend to over react.  They slow down way more then they need to for a chicane.  The bottle necks created by chicanes slow us down while heavily testing our brakes.  All of this is happening in the middle of a traffic jam. 

Don't get me wrong turns create congestion too but you aren't single file and have more room.

There were way less rear end impacts in the races I have run without chicanes then in the races that used them.  So my observation is it looks better to run without them.

Not to mention the size of the field has also increased so the overall percentage of cars involved in impacts due to congestion has probably been significantly reduced.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy, I'll bet there would be more fires from upgraded brake systems in crapcans than with well-sorted stock brakes....a stock system would boil the fluid and as the pedal softens, the driver will pit, slow down or both....use racing pads and racing fluid and the brakes work at much higher temperatures....and crapcans will have leaky grease seals, ball joint/tie rod end grease fittings, power steering fluid, etc. and oily grime in general....you could stop the issues by requiring stock brakes and NAPA/Checker/Autozone heavy duty pads only....drivers will learn to conserve brakes or spend lots of time in the pits....besides, if safety is the issue, why allow mods that let a driver go deeper into the corner and brake later?

Jim "Endo" Anderton

44 (edited by NDGeist 2009-11-04 11:39 AM)

jimeditorial wrote:

you could stop the issues by requiring stock brakes and NAPA/Checker/Autozone heavy duty pads only..

My 1900# car and I love this idea.  Rear bumper on aforementioned car does not.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

NDGeist wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

you could stop the issues by requiring stock brakes and NAPA/Checker/Autozone heavy duty pads only..

My 1900# car and I love this idea.  Rear bumper on aforementioned car does not.

Ha! True enough.....a rule like that would favour lighter cars.....but the really interesting IOE cars don't have performance options anyway....can't do much with a '59 Caddy....and the good thing about stock brakes is that they go away gradually enough to send a message to the nut behind the wheel....who'll just have to relax for a lap or two then set you up for the dive bomb...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Troy wrote:

I don't mean to burn you or put you on the spot. 

I don't know if you did the safety part of inspections.

Unfortunately, this proves my point.

Whether a tech person checks brakes or not, there just shouldn't be fires associated with a braking system.  If it happens, somebody messed up.

Our brakes caught fire because I am an idiot.. period...

I was the crew chief for this event, and knew damn well we would be pushing it with the pads we had.  I made the decision to continue to run our pads with 6 hours left.  What I didn't expect was the track to dry out, and the speeds to go up.  We burned through the last of our pads with 30 minutes left.

Would $10k in brakes prevented a fire?  Nope... I would  have still run the piss out of the pads, trying to make them last as long as possible.  Welcome to budget racing.

Troy, I am the idiot here.. not the rules.

47 (edited by Troy 2009-11-05 06:04 PM)

Jim,

Of the two brake fires I know of:

Tunachuckers: blown line probably due to dry rot
         **** turns out fire was not brake related: see Jonny's post
    Free Range: worn out pads. 

Both were from negligence due to a lack of inspection.

I check my brakes before each race and usually each night on two day race weekends.

My brakes use more current yet stock parts from various Zs.  My front pads, Porterfield R4s, have 4 races on them.  They have probably got more than 50% of the pads left.  I upgraded the rears to R4-1s after the first race to improve the bias.  They have 3 races.  All my rotors and pads look great.

I run Valvoline Synpower brake fluid.  They have no noticeable fade.  I do bleed them more than I probably need to but I haven't had to do anything else to them.  I take that back, I replaced a pinched stainless flex line.

My friends 240Z with more or less stock hydraulics, good pads and good fluid, should have been adjusted Saturday night.

Stainless lines can more easily handle heat from repeated use of racing.  Twenty year old rubber lines probably won't even pass inspection in some states like say Missouri.  They shouldn't be on your Crap Can.

Regarding brake temperature, I just called Porterfield about this. 

Brake temperature is a result of the use and frequency.

A pad needs to match the operating temperature of the brakes.  Race pads are not the cause of the heat in your system, they are just designed to work at the temperature of the system.

Brake Pads and Max Operating Temps:

Street Pad good to about            600 degrees.
   R4S good to about                     900-1000 degrees           
   R4 good to about                       1200-1300 degrees

Cars with rear drum brakes are likely to get out of adjustment during a race.  Especially since most adjusters work by backing up or through the parking brake.

Econoboxs like Cavaliers have had a recorded history in Lemons of melting caliper seals.

I've smoked the best crap Wagner sells for my Maxima with two hard back to back stops. 

FYI, Porterfield uses ceramic as a heat insulator.

I am sorry about my harshness.  I am tired of the typical perceptions about our brakes demands and what we are doing.  We are really racing and street pads are not made for it.  Some will take it better than other.

Yes race pads cost more, in my case they seem to be holding up very well.  In the long run I think they will last for more races which will make the less expensive.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

jimeditorial wrote:

....you could stop the issues by requiring stock brakes and NAPA/Checker/Autozone heavy duty pads only....drivers will learn to conserve brakes or spend lots of time in the pits....besides, if safety is the issue, why allow mods that let a driver go deeper into the corner and brake later?

why does the answer to every "problem" have to be "more rules"?

you know what would really solve these issues?  if we all stayed home and watched poker.

12+-time loser

you know what? I have a comment about brakes, but I'm not posting it here seeing as we're getting away from the ChumpRace topic itself.

pshaw.  fine; be that way.  see if i care.  wink

12+-time loser