Re: Upcoming Chump Race

Troy wrote:

Jim,

Of the two brake fires I know of:

Tunachuckers: blown line probably due to dry rot
    Free Range: worn out pads.

...and the Tunachuckers' fire wasn't due to brakes. Judge Martin quickly and wrongly wrote "brake fire" in his Jalopnik report. However, I was there as soon as the Chuckers popped their blackened hood -- the consensus is that a fuel-feeder line between the carbs got a leak and that caused the fire.

And even if it wasn't that -- their fire wasn't in the pads. It started in the engine bay.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I don't think you can blame these brake failures, even if one wasn't due to brakes, on the inspectors.  I mean, we start each race with fresh pads and everything in working order.  It doesn't stay that way during the race; stuff gets used up, bumped loose, etc.  No level of inspection will stop these failures in either series.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Troy wrote:

Jim,

Add the Gnomes to your list at Reno.. I'm pretty sure they cooked their pads as well

Troy wrote:

Yes race pads cost more, in my case they seem to be holding up very well.  In the long run I think they will last for more races which will make the less expensive.

Couldn't agree more.. we run Centric endurance pads for this very reason.. We just use as MUCH of them as possible

Judge Jonny wrote:
Troy wrote:

Jim,

...and the Tunachuckers' fire wasn't due to brakes. Judge Martin quickly and wrongly wrote "brake fire" in his Jalopnik report. However, I was there as soon as the Chuckers popped their blackened hood -- the consensus is that a fuel-feeder line between the carbs got a leak and that caused the fire.

And even if it wasn't that -- their fire wasn't in the pads. It started in the engine bay.

Thanks Jonny,

I was going off what Phil/Murilee posted.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Brake hoses can burst anytime and cause a fire, just ask the Tunachuckers. As long as the brakes are in good working order, let 'em run.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Troy, that's exactly my point...brakes work by converting the kinetic energy into heat...build a "better" brake system and the heat has to go somewhere...like into marginal stock grease seals and wheel bearings....I think that a little progressive fade will scrub off excess enthusiasm and add another element of tactics to the racing. And if too hard use means you have to change pads overnight or even under green flag conditions, so what? You know that the Corvair or Cadillac are essentially brakeless, so you're driving defensively anyway...at least then we'd all have similar brake performance. Use six pot racing stuff that will stop you cold and you will get punted anyway...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

soldmystang wrote:
sergio wrote:

What about studded tires? Are they legal?

i can't imagine any track owner allowing studded snow tires on their surface.

Might make for an improvement on some tracks... *coughStaffordcough*

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Chump or Lemons I just want to run at Nelsons again.  Whats with this South Haven stuff?  Oh yeah and Mid october midwest races is just asking for Lemons on snow.

After watching the Porsche guys get cash for clunkered I kinda wonder if the Peoples Curse should be weight in your racecar instead of blowd em up.

I'm with you on Nelsons.  There are about 40 races between the two series next year and not one at Nelsons.

Nelson could add a Crap Can Class to one of their races.

So that's a third option.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z