Topic: Winter weather reminder

I tucked my crapcan away in the corner of the garage almost two weeks ago now and thought I wouldn't look at it again until spring, but this morning it hit me...  CRAP, I forgot to drain the radiator!  It looks like I will be crawling under the car this weekend to drain the water.  Hopefully I can get enough water out of the heater core as well.

So, if you get freezing weather, don't forget to drain your cooling system, heater core and engine.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Re: Winter weather reminder

I also did the same last week.  Had forgotten about it also.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Check your block for drains, too. You can get your heater core ready by disconnecting a hose and blowing air ( I hand-seal it with a rag and use a blow gun) through the core....the water goes into the block where you can drain it. SOP up here.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Our engine is blown I doubt there is much water left in it even if there is I dont think it is going to hurt us any.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

Why not just add anti-freeze for the winter?

OverStimulated wrote:

That's our SOP on our car. Andy figures that any little thing to slow the corrosion down is A Good Thing.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Draining is easier at this point for me.  To add coolant, I'd have to start it back up and the battery has already been removed and I'd have to buy coolant.  An empty system can't freeze, so that's good enough.

'74 260Z

We're racing in winter weather, what's does 'tucking my crapcan away'  mean, I just don't understand. we're racing in a couple of weeks

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Parking your car in southern California is another proven method, but does not prevent rust from skipping races.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

You Cali dudes think you are sooooo damn funny.  Winter sucks and the last thing I need is to constantly hear how there is no winter in California!  tongue

'74 260Z

There's winter in cali, we just have to drive a few hours to get to it.  Or you could just head to the beach.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

OverStimulated wrote:

Because on some engines a leaky front cover or intake gasket can allow coolant to seep into the crankcase over time without you knowing. to be sure, you'd have to change oil before the first startup.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Jeff G 78 wrote:

You Cali dudes think you are sooooo damn funny.  Winter sucks and the last thing I need is to constantly hear how there is no winter in California!  tongue

There's no winter in Central Florida, either. In fact, we set our 11th record high temp for the month of October yesterday...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Yeah, but if Al Gore's buddies keep raising the thermostat, you guys will be knee deep in sea water.  LOL

'74 260Z

Nah, I'm like 55' ASL.

Just remember that frozen engines aren't the only worry with a Lemons car in the winter. Here's hoping that everyone who's headed to Thunderhill stays safe!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Wlgi4CdM40A/SVR2OsZDd_I/AAAAAAAAAFs/LbG319puj4Y/s320/IMG_1636.JPG

or CMP in feb. there be mountains in the way on that haul!

18 (edited by Bonedriver 2009-11-02 05:14 PM)

From a local (somewhat - but I grew up 30 miles from there)

CMP in February is gonna be very cold - mostly in the high to mid 30's at night and 40's during the day - and WET. It's not the cold, but the humidity that will get ya.

For all you guys with now windshield, which includes us, it's gonna sux!!!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Bonedriver wrote:

From a local (somewhat - but I grew up 30 miles from there)

CMP in February is gonna be very cold - mostly in the high to mid 30's at night and 40's during the day - and WET. It's not the cold, but the humidity that will get ya.

For all you guys with now windshield, which includes us, it's gonna sux!!!

You call that cold? It ain't cold 'till your spit hits the ground solid...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

You hush, Jim. tongue
Don't you have an igloo to build or something?

Keep in mind that summer tires are not designed to grip below about 40°F.  You might actually do better with performance all-season tires.

'74 260Z

22 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-11-02 06:41 PM)

ronman wrote:

You hush, Jim. tongue
Don't you have an igloo to build or something?

Ha! Been to Orlando in July....don't know how you people can breathe that air....last year we had three summer days in a row with highs in the high 80's and the city declared a "heat emergency" and opened "emergency cooling centres" to keep people from dropping in the streets. The elderly were warned not to overexert themselves.... although with climate change etc. I use the A/C in my F-150 by about 11:00AM in mid summer....gimme ice any day!

Jim "Endo" Anderton