Topic: So what are those Gnomes doing anyway??

As I am sure some of you know the Geo Metro-Gnome had a bit of a rough time at the Buttonwillow event.  We lunched a trans., threw a rod, and in the end, broke an engine mount causing a catastrophic chain jump that ripped the bottom of the engine case off.  We spent a lot of time pulling motors, splitting cases, and pulling motors again.  Somehow everyone still had fun and got a pretty decent amount of seat time to boot.  We got robbed by not getting heroic fix some say.

Anyhoo...  After taking stock of the situation and getting a $150 dollar residual value from Jay, we decided to change course.  I am selling all the 1990's CBR900RR engine chunks we have and switching to a newer, fuelie, Honda bike engine that is more common and easier to get used parts for.  Due to a vigilant Craig's List eye I got one pretty cheap and should be ready with it at T-Hill.

Just because everyone thinks everyone are hella big fat cheaters (HBFC's) I set up a blog that links to our Ebay sales of all the stuff we sold to pay for the new mill.  We are not done selling stuff yet but I figured it's about time to go public so everyone can tell us we are full of it even though we are not.

http://geometrognome2.blogspot.com/

-Alex

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Re: So what are those Gnomes doing anyway??

You better watch out for that Nighthawk V4-powered Honda Z600 at Thunderhill, boyee!

Those guys are serious. That Z600 will be the flippinest thing on the track with its VF1100 (Magna/Sabre) power and wicked 4-bar RWD.

It'll be a sight, they are a well-prepared bunch. Might even give the Evil Genius some competition...

But you guys are raising the bike engine car bar with your 75+ ft lbs and 150+ HP.
Watch out for the streaking Gnome at T-Hill.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Do we even want to get into the fact that the Gnomes are piecing out and selling the parts from TWO not ONE bike engine?

Or should we just wait for Thunderhill?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

They have a disclaimer on their blog....

2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

They have a disclaimer on their blog....

Well, I guess that settles it -- totally legit!

nothing to see here!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I'm sure the Gnomes will have cross-referenced, fully indexed budgetary documentation for us.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I'm sure the Gnomes will have cross-referenced, fully indexed budgetary documentation for us.

Sort of like how Arthur Anderson kept/cooked the books for Enron

Yeah, I sold the Z-600 guys some parts (well, a whole car)  and Clint bought some parts from them for his z-600 (this is an incestuous racing series)   and I know they mean business, real business..  I am waiting to see it they can get it all done.  I calculate that their plans require about 8.8 gigahours of fab work

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

So you've seen the pictures, then.

2/25/24

X-args wrote:

So you've seen the pictures, then.

Nope, they just explained to me how they were using the RX-7 parts I sold them for a Motorcycle-powered Honda z600 (re-read that sentence, let it sink in) and my head melted...And I am no stranger to the freaking weird engine-swap world.

Where are the pics, I want to see them!

And on the Gnomes-

A CBR1000RR motor, yeah so tough shit, we've got 4.7 liters/2700 lbs of German Luxobarge to trump your screaming jap-cycle engined econobox, care to offer a wager on most laps completed, Pinks?    Oh wait, we never got a pink with the car..  well how about a beer?

I think part of the Gnome transmission turned up as one of the MSR trophies last weekend. That thing was sharp--and greasy!

I heard so much about that Honda 600 but have yet to see the pix.  Where can a guy see such pictures?

The "Chang-Miy Excellent" brand welder has been burning the midnight oil to get the Gnome back on track.  Even though the engines are the same brand they, sure don't fit in the same place.  Have you ever tried to integrate a Honda motorcycle EFI wiring harness into a Geo Metro's?  Didn't think so.

Judge Jonny wrote:

Do we even want to get into the fact that the Gnomes are piecing out and selling the parts from TWO not ONE bike engine?

Or should we just wait for Thunderhill?

As I recall, they used two bike engines during the Buttonwillow race. I say that makes the transaction legit.

-Dave

GnomeFabTech wrote:

I heard so much about that Honda 600 but have yet to see the pix.  Where can a guy see such pictures?

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,31602

Pot stirred....

-Dave

Evil Genius wrote:

And on the Gnomes-

A CBR1000RR motor, yeah so tough shit, we've got 4.7 liters/2700 lbs of German Luxobarge to trump your screaming jap-cycle engined econobox, care to offer a wager on most laps completed, Pinks?    Oh wait, we never got a pink with the car..  well how about a beer?

Finally, some action!

Ok Evil G, I like your bet and I say raise.  I'll bet you a matching bottle of Jonny's best T-Hill bribe booze that the gacked out Gnome will zing around the track more times then your Kraut Kruzer before it flies too close to the flame and leaves a trail of clever little bits all over that track.

-Alex

GnomeFabTech wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

And on the Gnomes-

Finally, some action!

Ok Evil G, I like your bet and I say raise.  I'll bet you a matching bottle of Jonny's best T-Hill bribe booze that the gacked out Gnome will zing around the track more times then your Kraut Kruzer before it flies too close to the flame and leaves a trail of clever little bits all over that track.

-Alex

hummmm.... Let me ponder this, the driver line up on the Kraut Kruzer isn't nailed down yet, and I know who's driving for you guys...    Drivers are important on this kind of high-dollar back room bet.. I'll get back to you.    Keep in mind, 'incidental' contact will go to the Krautmobile

Evil John would have to be INSANE to take that bet.

Luckily...

Also, get back to my best bottle of bribe booze

20 (edited by X-args 2009-10-28 07:20 PM)

Cool as #$&% 'we're gonna use the stock leaf spring perch for SOMETHING!' rear suspension

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/yetiult/Z600%20LeMons%20Car/IMG_1525.jpg

Sturdy cage:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/yetiult/Z600%20LeMons%20Car/IMG_1522.jpg

2/25/24

LOL.  Nice work there.  I guess it was just a matter of time before Lemons got to this level.  Good thing shop overhead does not count toward the $500!

I've visited the Z600's shop a few times (it's a few miles from my house), and it's for real. I traded them an RX-2 rear end that came with my 20R Sprite for some fabrication work on some seat brackets for the car. That's the rear that's going into the Z600. I believe the front suspension is a narrowed RX-7 subframe. What could possibly go wrong?

Those dudes are nuts- there's a Human Powered Land Speed Record tandem bike hanging on the wall and crazy Mazda GTX stuff all over the place. I keep meaning to go over and get some photos for a Jalopnik post, but will wait until Thunderhill is a little closer.

WOW. this thing is gonna be insane if it doesn't break!

Since this thread got jacked by some talk of some OTHER bike powered car I'll get us back on track here:

I emailed Jay and he said "Hell No" to us using the proceeds from our two engines to pay for the new engine.  This means that we will be parting the heck out of what we have.  Check the a fore mentioned blog to see how it's all adding up.

GnomeFabTech wrote:

Since this thread got jacked by some talk of some OTHER bike powered car

Getting a little jealous are we?    don't feel special anymore?   

Oh my