Topic: Head and Neck Restraint Question

Finally really really close to selecting my head and neck restraint.

I am leaning towards the Necks Gen because it seems to have the most adjustability should I need it.  I plan to use it in different cars so want to make sure I'm able to use it anywhere.

However, I have a question about the Necks Gen helmet anchors - are they compatible with Hans branded anchors?   Ive never used or really cared about using one of these devices until recently so Ive never even looked twice at one up close.

If the anchors are different, is it difficult to swap anchors from helmet to helmet provided I had an extra set of posts?

Also kind of off topic but my helmet was involved in an accident but I cannot see any obvious damage to it - how do you really know when to replace your helmet?

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Re: Head and Neck Restraint Question

You know you should have replaced your helmet during that instant when your whole life flashes before your eyes.

IMHO if you had an accident and feel your helmet played any role at all in keeping your squishy bits on the inside then get a new one.

Necksgen and Hans use the same mounting location holes on the helmet, so they can be swapped easily with a few hand tools, but the anchors themselves are different.

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

I am leaning towards the Necks Gen because it seems to have the most adjustability should I need it.  I plan to use it in different cars so want to make sure I'm able to use it anywhere.

However, I have a question about the Necks Gen helmet anchors - are they compatible with Hans branded anchors?   Ive never used or really cared about using one of these devices until recently so Ive never even looked twice at one up close.

If the anchors are different, is it difficult to swap anchors from helmet to helmet provided I had an extra set of posts?

Also kind of off topic but my helmet was involved in an accident but I cannot see any obvious damage to it - how do you really know when to replace your helmet?

If your helmet impacted ANYTHING during the wreck it should be replaced, whether you see damage or not.  Do you recall?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

The foam on the inside is what compresses as your skull pushes against the liner and the outer shell.

ALWAYS replace it in an incident.

Mark it "FUELING" and use it for refueling only.

RogueLeader wrote:

If your helmet impacted ANYTHING during the wreck it should be replaced, whether you see damage or not.  Do you recall?

No, I don't recall shit.   Concussion.  Amnesia.   Suxors.

I suspect the shell didn't hit anything and it was just my brain sloshing around in my skull.   big_smile

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

I just switched over from a HANS to  NecksGen.  The anchors are diferant, but they use same mounting holes as long as the holes are within 1" of where thye are suposed to be.  Changing out the anchors was a 10 min job.  Gettign the inside washer out from behind the liner took the most time.

I loved my HANS, but liking the NecksGen better.  It is lighter, less bulky, is adjustable and has replaceable parts.   Exiting a tin top in a hurry will be easier with the NecksGen.

RogueLeader wrote:

I suspect the shell didn't hit anything and it was just my brain sloshing around in my skull.   big_smile

lol

As much as it sucks to replace it I would.  More than likely you did impact something, because brain slosh doesn't produce results like that.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Installing the posts for the Necksgen (or older DefNder) SUCKS in the Lemons sold Pyrotect helmets. I've done it on 3 helmets now. They used to give you a wrench for install with the DefNder hardware, but when I helped someone in October with a NecksGen it wasn't included for them. It's just a pain to get the nut/washer back piece in between the foam and shell on those helmets.

I do love my DefNder though. We have two on the team and everyone uses them.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

10 (edited by gm2 2012-12-18 03:00 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Installing the posts for the Necksgen (or older DefNder) SUCKS in the Lemons sold Pyrotect helmets. I've done it on 3 helmets now. They used to give you a wrench for install with the DefNder hardware, but when I helped someone in October with a NecksGen it wasn't included for them. It's just a pain to get the nut/washer back piece in between the foam and shell on those helmets.

I do love my DefNder though. We have two on the team and everyone uses them.

I just got mine in August and it came with a wrench, odd.  It does suck fishing that washer in there though...

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

+1 the anchors between NecksGen and HANS are not compatible. I had to drill my helmet for the anchors. My experience is the squishy foam padding pulls out and reinserts fairly easily in most helmets.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

gm2 wrote:

I just got mine in August and it came with a wrench, odd.  It does suck fishing that washer in there though...

Must have just been a slip up with this person's kit then. Glad to hear they didn't stop including that.. I keep mine in my carrying case, so we just lent it to him for the install.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

RogueLeader wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

lol

As much as it sucks to replace it I would.  More than likely you did impact something, because brain slosh doesn't produce results like that.

I'm here to say slouching does produce those things,I had a nasty shunt where my head was whipped to the right(nothing to hit) yet I had a decent concussion check the Styrofoam inside the helmet top, it is generally painted to easily show damage, discard/ turn into a fuel helmet if there is any doubt.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

My new Necksgen arrived with two get out of jail free cards..

Seems well built, comfortable.. still have to remove the Hans posts, and install the necksgen post on my helmet.

Mine came with the tools and "looks" like it should be pretty easy to install.  I also like how the angle is adjustable .. so no matter which angle seat I am it, it should be fine.

I also like the release system better than the Hans.. yet I guess it is easier so.. could be easier to accidentally release while racing.. wont know till Button Terrible..

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

I just finished my first race (Dallas) with my new NecksGen.  Totally sold.  LOVE it.  Better airflow under the helmet, easier to turn my head than a doughnut, much better than early HANS devices I've used.  Very, very impressed.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Yes.   Totally agree!

It wasn't hard drilling the helmet and its super easy to use. 

We have two helmets with Necksgen anchors and we share it.   Its easy to just hand it off when you switch drivers.

I think the thing I like most about the unit is that it easily accepts 3" belts.   Another driver on the team has a Hans and we fight that thing to get the 3" belts seated.

We went with Rage Hybrid by Safety Solutions/Simpson.  (I think Simpson bought the smaller company).  They are pretty comfy, allow you to get in/our without unhooking.  Wanted something that would work in our off road race-car and the Lemons car and this seems to fit the bill.  Standard HANS anchors on the helmet too.  The std sliding system works well and they have an advanced version for like $40 more I believe.  Best part is nothing behind or on your chest so just the belts holding it on your shoulders. 

Jay hadn't seen one (also mentioned we not try to test it's anti-neck snapping ability) when I pulled up to start so maybe their not as common in road racing as in off road.  Anyway, just thought I would offer my .02.

http://www.upr.com/Hybrid-Pro-Rage-p632.html
https://www.upr.com/images/M/hybrid-pro-rage-for-web_632.jpg

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013

hotdogwater wrote:

We went with Rage Hybrid by Safety Solutions/Simpson.  (I think Simpson bought the smaller company).  They are pretty comfy, allow you to get in/our without unhooking.  Wanted something that would work in our off road race-car and the Lemons car and this seems to fit the bill.  Standard HANS anchors on the helmet too.  The std sliding system works well and they have an advanced version for like $40 more I believe.  Best part is nothing behind or on your chest so just the belts holding it on your shoulders. 

Jay hadn't seen one (also mentioned we not try to test it's anti-neck snapping ability) when I pulled up to start so maybe their not as common in road racing as in off road.  Anyway, just thought I would offer my .02.

How well does that work with 3" belts?

It is independent of the belts since it is strapped to your torso. It will work with any width.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Ratbert wrote:
hotdogwater wrote:

How well does that work with 3" belts?

I haven't used them in the o/r car (with 3" belts) yet, but other's have in my car.  In the Lemons/14 we have 2 in belts so everyone has to wear one.  If we thought about it, would have put 3" belts in since you don't feel them on the harness and then it wouldn't be required but it's prob better to have one on anyway.  Either way, belts are maybe bunched up a bit with 3" belts but not an issue far as I can tell. 

We have 2 (for driver and navigator in off road race car) so in Lemons, the driver getting in had one on and ready to go so no need to change out in the pit.  Saves one min maybe but at $650 each, save the money and swap out the harness.

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013