Re: What are you listening to?

I tend to listen to Cake, Johnny Cash, Bing Crosby, and Sinatra as of late.

Because we're so obsessed with SLABs, Nick and I play this Mike Jones song nonstop in the rent-a-car until Jay threatens to kill us. My cousin, Judge Sam, pulled my coat about "Bird Front", and that one gets a lot of play as well. When I'm feeling Camaro-like on the way to a race, I crank the shit out of the greatest rock song of all time.

The Most Depressing Christmas Song Ever

Judge Phil wrote:

Because we're so obsessed with SLABs, Nick and I play this Mike Jones song nonstop in the rent-a-car until Jay threatens to kill us. My cousin, Judge Sam, pulled my coat about "Bird Front", and that one gets a lot of play as well. When I'm feeling Camaro-like on the way to a race, I crank the shit out of the greatest rock song of all time.

The best was watching you slowly pull into Autobahn cranking Nazareth's Hair of the Dog when you had the Challenger.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

30 (edited by ronman 2012-12-20 12:38 PM)

Today has been primarily the Drive-By Truckers and Woody Guthrie.
People tend to not like it when I leave my iProduct on random, though... two nights ago it managed to do Hank Williams>Ice Cube>Roy Orbison>Elvis>Snoop Dogg>Skrillex>Bob Wills>Dean Martin>Britney Spears over the course of a brake job. The guy we were doing it for was confused and enraged.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

People tend to not like it when I leave my iProduct on random, though... two nights ago it managed to do Hank Williams>Ice Cube>Roy Orbison>Elvis>Snoop Dogg>Skrillex>Bob Wills>Dean Martin>Britney Spears over the course of a brake job. The guy we were doing it for was confused and enraged.

My wife and I have loaded over 800 CDs into iTunes and our iPods.   While her tastes and mine do overlap to some degree, there are some dramatic differences.   She, for instance, does not care for my Poxy Boggards collection.  smile   When we are driving together, "skip" tends to get hit a lot.  smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Best Lemons song evar:

Jesus Built My Hotrod

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

33 (edited by Wendell34 2012-12-24 10:40 AM)

Oh, for joy!
This is going to be one of my favorite new sections of the forum. Music is kind of an all-consuming thing for me. And sharing music (the old-fashioned way by playing it and talking about it with other people) is one of my favorite things. I used to take James Brown 45's and Disney soundtrack records for Show And Tell in elementary school. I've worked in radio for 23 years. Still do (yes, there is still a radio station with a live person picking the music he plays) and I've worked in music retail for 22 years. Still do. (Yes, there is STILL a record store and people still do buy physical music!) As a matter of fact, that is what I have been swamped doing for the last two weeks leading up to Christmas, so I haven't been looking at the forum much. I'm excited to check out some of the stuff everyone else is listening to.
But, on the topic of Christmas music, here is the song that gets stuck in my head. My kind of Christmas song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8
It is gritty and real and well-written and it has a certain brutal truth and sad sweetness to it to. And the melody gets stuck in my head. AND, when they do it live and the crowd sings along the particularly brutal parts at the top of their lungs....goosebumps. And, in the live show, when the snow starts falling an ol' Shane starts waltzing with his bride there is a room full of drunk irishmen and drunk wannabe irishmen with tears in their eyes.

"Happy Christmas your ass I pray God it's our last."

Doctor Demento, "Pencil Necked Geek"

Hammerheads Racing
Race, wrench and repeat.
Thompson, CT 2016 - "I got screwed" award; Loudon Annoying 2013 - 36th first finish for the Probelem; Monticello 2013 - Dead Last but we saved on fuel, so.... ; Halloween Hooptiefest 2012 - blowed up the Probelem

budgie wrote:

Doctor Demento, "Pencil Necked Geek"

Freddie Blassie.

Dr. Demento actually sang very few songs...tho "Shaving Cream" was always a favorite of mine.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Somehow my Dr. Demento Christmas Collection went missing this year...........

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Digital Underground "Sex Packets".  It's that kind of day.......

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

FJ40Jim wrote:

Best Lemons song evar:

Jesus Built My Hotrod

What if "Jesus drove a motorhome" ? wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Alice in Chains
Pantera
Spine Shank - particularly like the cover of The Beatles" While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
Soundgarden
90's rock is my thing.  Love Muzak!!!

davisriley wrote:

Humpy was on the radio the other night....I am sure my children were impressed with my mad kareoke skills...

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

chevette wrote:
davisriley wrote:

Humpy was on the radio the other night....I am sure my children were impressed with my mad kareoke skills...

Probably not going to win father of the year with the fact that my 7 year old knows all the words to that one.  O-well.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

42 (edited by EyeMWing 2012-12-31 11:17 AM)

ronman wrote:

The guy we were doing it for was confused and enraged.

Britney Spears is da price of da brake job. ESPECIALLY if it has drums.

Out in the garage, workin' on the Crown Vic ($#@&#$ MAF sensors! How do they work!?) after tear-assing through the (sleepy, cul-de-sac, hella-rural-full-of-old-crochety-people) neighborhood with no exhaust aft of the cats and definitely no license plates at 65mph on used, dry-rotted, melted-tread-ghetto cheap race rubber that peeled out at any sign of throttle, the PC decides it's time to play these three in a row:

Cake - The Distance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pSlu2okpqM
Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10X3zJpMDMo
Korn - Narcicisstic Cannibal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-ZBWzxfkI

Which are effectively my current holy trinity of hoonage songs. Given each one of them adds 15mph to the speedometer and one crank of the volume knob, I could barely stay in the engine bay. Winamp is a harsh mistress.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Um, seeing that I'm just an old fart... I listen to, yawn, Celtic music........  Grew up listening to my Irish singing in Gaelic and it stuck... I even bought a farm in the epicenter of Celtic music in North America... Mabou, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia....   Yeah, I've got it bad.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Remember, it's *Classie* Freddie Blassie, you know, lest you get confused with the other pre-1975 singers also named Fred Blassie.

My selection of the night was an old favorite by Alan Jackson, which I hadn't heard in several years: 1992's "Tropical Depression."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Melodyofcertaindamagedlemons.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody_of_ … ged_Lemons

The track "Ballad of Lemons" sounds about right to be a theme song for the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFgtvg8QCI

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Pandora Miles Davis station, all day long. I have to earn my mad cardigan cred somehow!

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

Carl Perkins' Cadillac by Drive-by Truckers, Down To the Wire by Son Volt, and anything by John Prine or Billy Joe Shaver.

I'm in a serious alt-country mood today.

Me and Mrs Jones

This space for rent.

Went fishing in the Gulf last weekend in a nasty storm, and my friend put this on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Ky0v_0w0E

Got a mouth full of seawater from laughing.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

Sledge wrote:

Went fishing in the Gulf last weekend in a nasty storm, and my friend put this on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Ky0v_0w0E

Got a mouth full of seawater from laughing.

Excellent choice. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald would have been a similarly excellent choice, or possibly My Heart Will Go On... big_smile