Topic: Questions about fueling during the race

Can we bring our own fuel or do we buy on site?
What containers are we to use? Cans or drum?

Could someone describe a Lemons legal fuel stop?
Where, how, etc.

Can we build and use a fueling rig?

thanks

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: Questions about fueling during the race

You can bring your own fuel, but the rest of the rules vary from track to track.  Nelson Ledges allowed up to 40 gallons in the paddock.  Anything more had to be stored in a designated area over the bridge. 

At NL we could only fuel in the hot pits, so all jugs had to be transported from the paddock up to pit lane and then hoisted over the wall as the car pulled up.  If you try to overthink it and make a rig, it will likely be hard to transport and hard to lift.  Look for actual race jugs that hold 10-15 gallons with vent tubes.  They are quicker than standard gas jugs and are easier to hold up.

Be sure to take a wagon, dolly, or other method of moving full fuel cans.  Our parking spot in the paddock was quite a ways away from the track.  Carrying 100+lbs of fuel over and over isn't much fun.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I was under the impression that some races had the teams fueling at their paddock parking area and not in the hot pits at all.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Like I said, it depends on the track/event.  The hot pits are better for quick stops, but for us, it sucked because we usually had repairs to do anyway, so we had to go back to the paddock for repairs and then carry the fuel to the pits for refueling before returning to the track.

'74 260Z

As noted, it varies by track. 

Often the rules are not even known prior to the drivers meeting and even than can sometimes be vague or applied differently.  Rules have never posted in writing at the 5 races I've been at (to the best of my knowledge).

First rule:  Always be safe.  Gas is serious stuff.

At NL the rule was you must fuel in the hot pit lane, max of 3 team members over the wall, all must be in full nomex, with helmet and visor, one must be holding a fire extinguisher, and the driver cannot be in the car, car must be off and no any other work being done while fueling.  Overflow spills discouraged and fuelers were expected to immediately clean up.  No catch trays for spills available.

After fueling, a driver change is done.  Jay clarified during the race that a driver only change (e.g., no fuel) was not permitted on pit lane (although a 1/2 hour earlier a Lemons staff member in HQ said it was).  There was confusion (e.g., inconsistent messages / enforcement by the safety crew) over whether cracking your helmet visor was acceptable (since fogging and thus being able to see during fueling was a serious issue).

No more than 40 gals in the paddock was written in forums but never stated during the driver's meeting to the best of my recollection.  NL had campfires all around so hauling fuel jugs around (in an unstable wagon) was dicely.  We never had a reason to fuel in the paddock (and I hope others were not!).

Similar hot pit lane rules at CMP but no rule on not having car running.  Fueling was permitted in paddock spaces (but be aware of smoking and welding, etc. concerns) at fall race but I don't think it was allowed in the spring.  Fuel spill trays were provided in pits and spills were to be dumped in catch cans.  No penalty for small spills caught in trays.  Driver only (no fuel) changes were permitted in pit lane at CMP but no other work on the car. 

No pit lane at Stafford CT.  A designated area in the pits was the only area where fueling was permitted.  Driver out of car/car off.  New driver could belt up within the fuel area after refueling occurred.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

I'd love to get clarification on this before the driver's meeting.
I was the fire bottle guy in this shot from the 25 hours of TH a couple of years back.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1387/136/27/671564328/n671564328_987362_2328.jpg

KT

Jeff G 78 wrote:

If you try to overthink it and make a rig, it will likely be hard to transport and hard to lift.  Look for actual race jugs that hold 10-15 gallons with vent tubes.

15 gallons of gas weighs almost 100 lbs so I would classify that as 'hard to lift' also.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I'd *love* to do a 10 gallon fast fill fuel rig mounted to a stand.
Gravity feed one whole fuel load. Bring cans to it before our fuel stop and... whoosh!!

KT

It seems like it wouldn't be to hard to build a stand on wheels so you could wheel the rig around on.  The hard part would be making sure that it won't overflow or that someone fueling the car doesn't accidentally spill gas everywhere.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Bring it to where the car will be, empty.
Add fuel. Car arrives...Whoosh!!

I just need permission.

KT

VKZ24 wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

If you try to overthink it and make a rig, it will likely be hard to transport and hard to lift.  Look for actual race jugs that hold 10-15 gallons with vent tubes.

15 gallons of gas weighs almost 100 lbs so I would classify that as 'hard to lift' also.

Yes, but try lifting that PLUS the gravity stand over the wall.  I doubt they would have let us use a rig at NL that was behind the wall.  At least at NL, they would not allow us to keep any fuel equipment near the pits.  It had to be returned to the paddock when not fueling.

'74 260Z

NL had one team that backed up a pickup that had a tank and fuel pump in the back.  i was on the pit lane basically the whole race except when i was driving the car and i saw them almost run over/hit things a few times.  definitely a wide variety of fueling strategies there

trekkor wrote:

Bring it to where the car will be, empty.
Add fuel. Car arrives...Whoosh!!

I just need permission.

KT

in theory simple but I know I need to idiot proof it for my team.

To get the ok you may need to idiot proof it too cause quicker to fill car also means quicker to spill all over the pits.  Not saying you guys would do that but once one team does it everyone will want to do it and someone will do it completely wrong.

Facebook Page

14 (edited by Jeff G 78 2009-10-29 12:29 PM)

PapaJohn55 wrote:

No more than 40 gals in the paddock was written in forums but never stated during the driver's meeting to the best of my recollection.  NL had campfires all around so hauling fuel jugs around (in an unstable wagon) was dicely.  We never had a reason to fuel in the paddock (and I hope others were not!).

They actually DID state the 40 gallon rule in the Friday drivers meeting at NL.

Shortly after the race started, we found a fuel leak in our sending unit so we had to drain the fuel out of our tank and remove the sending unit in our paddock.  There were no campfires anywhere near our trailer though and we drained the gas directly back into a gas can.  Luckily our car has a fuel tank drain bolt so we didn't even spill any.  We used a funnel and hose to route it to the can.

I believe that the full driving gear rule is now a Lemons standard, so plan on at LEAST two sets of driving gear and two fire extinguishers.  One for the car and a second for fueling.

I still HATE the thought of getting fuel on a drivers suit.  It will turn your safety gear into a tiki torch.  We made a team decision that the driver getting out of the car would always be the fueler and the driver getting in the car held the fire bottle.  That way, any spills on a suit could be washed of or left to dry before that driver returned to the car.

'74 260Z

I still HATE the thought of getting fuel on a drivers suit.  It will turn your safety gear into a tiki torch.  We made a team decision that the driver getting out of the car would always be the fueler and the driver getting in the car held the fire bottle.  That way, any spills on a suit could be washed of or left to dry before that driver returned to the car.

We did the same thing for the exact same reason.  Even with that setup one of our drivers splashed gas on her gloves, thankfully she wore the same size as the driver she was replacing so they switched gloves quick and she was on her way.   Point being an extra set of fire proof attire is not a bad idea and as a few other people have said in the past a shop apron isnt a bad idea for the fuel man to wear to keep his suit clean.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Fueling regs vary from track to track--the only things you can really count on is needing at least a couple of portable DOT-approved containers, and at least two sets of full driver gear (suit, helmet, shoes, gloves) for the fueler and extinguisher man.

Bigger fuel rigs can occasionally be used, but since there is rarely enough room for everyone to use one, we can't approve them ahead of time. Plus, we reserve the right to prohibit the use of a homemade rig if we deem it to be unsafe.

The most foolproof way to plan for fueling is bringing 4 or 5 DOT-approved portable containers plus the above-mentioned safety gear. If you've got those, you'll be flexible enough to deal with pretty much any Lemons fueling situation.

My idea for a fuel rig would be an elevated tank behind the pit wall.
A long hose with nozzle to fit into the fill hole on the car.

Fueler, in gear, gives the signal to the 'lever man', who opens the ball valve.
Meanwhile, the fire bottle man is watching.
Any mishap and the lever man shuts it off. Safer than a dropped fuel jug.

We'd always pre-fill the tank  with 10 gallons and top never overflow the car's tank.

KT

might want to have a cut off valve at the nozzle too.  A long hose can hold alot of fuel.  The person fueling the car can then stop it right there probably before the lever man even knows what is going on, let alone for the fuel in the hose to finish emptying.

Facebook Page

yes

KT

Jeff G 78 wrote:

They actually DID state the 40 gallon rule in the Friday drivers meeting at NL.

I stand corrected and glad to "hear" that.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

So, is this * OFFICIAL*? 40 gallon limit.

KT

at nelsons ledge it is.

Facebook Page

trekkor wrote:

KT

Man, I CANNOT wait to sink my hooks into you.

I mean, meet your acquaintance.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

What?!? I'm harmless... http://www.914club.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif

KT

Judge Jonny wrote:
trekkor wrote:

KT

Man, I CANNOT wait to sink my hooks into you.

I mean, meet your acquaintance.

I can't wait to watch!

We are the people your parents warned you about.