Topic: I always wondered

I'm not sure how you organize the tracks and such and how the judges go across the country but, the thing I'm wondering is that would it be possible to have Euro Lemons?

There are tons of great tracks
Instead of being flogged with Geo Metros, the races would be flogged Austin Metros
Instead of mostly Muscle crapboxes, we would have mostly Compact and Sports crapboxes.

I just want to be a part of the races and travel to USA takes a butt-load of money.

Re: I always wondered

if the Street Safari team can come to the US (for a little while at least), Lemons in the EU should be possible.

if not run by Jay and Co. directly, at least indirectly.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

if the Street Safari team can come to the US (for a little while at least), Lemons in the EU should be possible.

if not run by Jay and Co. directly, at least indirectly.

I think the SS guys looked into it briefly and it was a very expensive proposition in the UK.  But if if were something they were interested in doing Im sure the SS guys can get them the right contacts.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Goodness, and if they think Soccer hooligans are bad, wait until this crowd shows up in bunches

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy

This thought has occurred to me. This could be done in the UK alone, I think, what with all the old airfield circuits.

Can you get a car for the equivalent of $500 in Europe? The costs are also much higher for petrol and so forth.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

6 (edited by Brett85p 2013-01-07 10:53 AM)

Gullzjr and I are members of a New Zealand dirt track forum as we are both kiwis are were involved in speedway in NZ before moving to the US so we posted some of our Lemons adventures and the momentum started with some old contacts wanting to come out and run in the series here and now there is a series being set up called Kiwi Klunkas. They set the value at NZ$1000 and if you search the equivalent of craigslist/ebay (trademe.co.nz) there are similar quality cars as we run here for under NZ$1000. A lot more Mitsubishis and random Japanese assembled cars than you see here and of course some good old ford falcons and Holden Commodores.

The first date that was set was canned as the track decided to repave and dump the booking and the organizer is working on a new location, an airfield was discussed but that didn't work out. There are cars being built so something should happen this year, it may take a while to get the sort of traction that the series in the US have but its a start. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be potential for teams to swap arrive and drives and make this crap can deal truly international!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

Gullzjr and I are members of a New Zealand dirt track forum as we are both kiwis are were involved in speedway in NZ before moving to the US so we posted some of our Lemons adventures and the momentum started with some old contacts wanting to come out and run in the series here and now there is a series being set up called Kiwi Klunkers. They set the value at NZ$1000 and if you search the equivalent of craigslist/ebay (trademe.co.nz) there are similar quality cars as we run here for under NZ$1000. A lot more Mitsubishis and random Japanese assembled cars than you see here and of course some good old ford falcons and Holden Commodores.

The first date that was set was canned as the track decided to repave and dump the booking and the organizer is working on a new location, an airfield was discussed but that didn't work out. There are cars being built so something should happen this year, it may take a while to get the sort of traction that the series in the US have but its a start. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be potential for teams to swap arrive and drives and make this crap can deal truly international!

We love kiwi's at WBB Motorsports(especially when mixed with the culinary stylings of tsogy), so put me on the list for a swap when it comes time.  Like I needed an excuse to go down there.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

davisriley wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

Gullzjr and I are members of a New Zealand dirt track forum as we are both kiwis are were involved in speedway in NZ before moving to the US so we posted some of our Lemons adventures and the momentum started with some old contacts wanting to come out and run in the series here and now there is a series being set up called Kiwi Klunkers. They set the value at NZ$1000 and if you search the equivalent of craigslist/ebay (trademe.co.nz) there are similar quality cars as we run here for under NZ$1000. A lot more Mitsubishis and random Japanese assembled cars than you see here and of course some good old ford falcons and Holden Commodores.

We love kiwi's at WBB Motorsports(especially when mixed with the culinary stylings of tsogy), so put me on the list for a swap when it comes time.  Like I needed an excuse to go down there.

Will do!
I am sure you guys would fit right in.

Sanic wrote:

...the races would be flogged Austin Metros

Well, there's already this:

http://www.mgmetrocup.co.uk/

Pretty much the same car, right?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Brett85p wrote:
davisriley wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

Will do!

Sadly I don't think they will allow the widowmaker as carry on.  TSA Bastards!

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

davisriley wrote:
Brett85p wrote:
davisriley wrote:

Will do!

No but I am sure some equally awesome pit transportation could be found.

Brett85p wrote:
davisriley wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

Will do!

No but I am sure some equally awesome pit transportation could be found.

I have no fear with that one.  Now to start selling plasma for plane fare

Bloomington, IN

When this Kiwi Klunkers series gets underway I could def see the USA Kiwis heading home for a race or three. Maybe we could bring back some insanely cool car for here afterwards.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

Some of the rumored builds for the Klunkers

Ef Falcon, Vn V8 Commodore, 61Morris oxford, 1970 Hillman imp, 91 Toyota corona and a1960 Humber hawk.

I wanna race the imp........an imp with a gimp theme....now theres an idea.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

mharrell wrote:
Sanic wrote:

...the races would be flogged Austin Metros

Well, there's already this:

They are a little bit newer and quite a lot less lemon-y

therood wrote:

This thought has occurred to me. This could be done in the UK alone, I think, what with all the old airfield circuits.

Can you get a car for the equivalent of $500 in Europe? The costs are also much higher for petrol and so forth.

Well, 500 bucks is 310 quid which means we means we might do a stretch to 350 pounds/560 bucks and If we are going have races in anywhere in the EU we should raise the limit from 380 to 400 euros/525 dollars.

You can get clunkers easy in the UK and in Europe but the taxes are a little bit steep so, that's the reason why the limit should be raised.

If we are going to have races or have contestants from Russia or Turkey, things would get messy because the average clunker price in Russia is 50000 Ruble/1645 dollars and the average price in Turkey is 3000 Lira/1675 dollars.

Yeah, how we would limit the prices would be kinda complicated.

gullzjr wrote:

I wanna race the imp........an imp with a gimp theme....now theres an idea.

I'm in!

Bloomington, IN

Sanic wrote:
mharrell wrote:

They are a little bit newer...

Introduced in '82 instead of '80, fair enough.

Sanic wrote:

...and quite a lot less lemon-y

Ouch.  Well, fine, but I'm still keeping the second line of my signature.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Check out the awesomeness available in New Zealand for below $1000

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Categor … 0001-0268-

mharrell wrote:
Sanic wrote:

...and quite a lot less lemon-y

Ouch.  Well, fine, but I'm still keeping the second line of my signature.

Doing a buttload of laps in a MG Metro is still an achievement but, MG's engine had more power due to it having a higher compression ratio, different cam and big valve head and (IIRC) the MG Metros didn't rust as much.

I swore there was already a series in the UK, basically doing the same thing.    I can't remember the name, and i can't find it online right now, but i'm pretty sure it's out there somewhere.      I remember running into it a few years ago when we were starting to do our build.   Perhaps they're not running any longer?

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Sanic wrote:

Doing a buttload of laps in a MG Metro is still an achievement but, MG's engine had more power due to it having a higher compression ratio, different cam and big valve head and (IIRC) the MG Metros didn't rust as much.

The Concours d'Lemons is a car show (although last year it involved a tour), so the only laps I turned at that event were in a parade before the start of the second day of racing.  The trophy was for driving the car 800 miles to get to the track in the first place, giving me the rare distinction of a Lemons win on distance for a static display.  The car's also my daily driver here in the Pacific Northwest and gets parked outdoors year-round (I really need a garage), so I hope you're right about the rust but, alas, close inspection reveals grounds for doubt....

mike944 wrote:

I swore there was already a series in the UK, basically doing the same thing.    I can't remember the name, and i can't find it online right now, but i'm pretty sure it's out there somewhere.      I remember running into it a few years ago when we were starting to do our build.   Perhaps they're not running any longer?

It'd be tough to find.  They probably refer to crapcans as "blarnel bugs" or something similar over there.  Why can't they just speak English?!?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:
mike944 wrote:

It'd be tough to find.  They probably refer to crapcans as "blarnel bugs" or something similar over there.  Why can't they just speak English?!?

Well, there is Banger Racing which is kinda like Lemons but without the themes (and sometimes 12-15 year olds driving it) but that's only in UK type of thing and I haven't seen that stuff in anywhere in Europe.

Brett85p wrote:

Check out the awesomeness available in New Zealand for below $1000

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Categor … 0001-0268-

Suzuki Samies, ancient Austin's, lots of tasty mazdas ... Where the hell are the utes??

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats