Topic: Sponsors? How to get them, who sponsors this, etc.

Ok, so I actually do know how to approach a business to ask for a sponsorship. I have run small events that were affordable thanks to sponsorships from a number of businesses. The going in, presenting yourself, and asking for money parts of this (so, most of it) do not bother me.

The real question is, what company in their right mind is willing to sponsor a rusted-out race car that looks like crap, is driven by amateurs, and is more likely to explode than to win the race? Don't get me wrong, I love this race and am excited and obsessed. I'm just trying to think how to approach businesses with our team.

What kinds of companies have sponsored your teams? For those of you who live nowhere near any of the racetracks, do they need to be local businesses, or larger companies with longer marketing districts?

I realize sponsorships can count towards the cost of the car. I'm more looking for help to offset the costs of safety equipment, transportation, etc. You know, so there's more money so we can run more races smile

Re: Sponsors? How to get them, who sponsors this, etc.

out of the 5 races i been to (4 of which i was an actual driver) several teams had sponsor ranging from a chicken joint all the up to something a lil more pro, like say, tires wheels brakes.

i've been wanting to ask a similar version of your questions but have been holding back.

i seen in other posts people say it is easy to get a sponsor.... i call b.s. on that.
i seen some say, "you would be suprised at how willing a place is to toss you money for an a lil sticker for advertising on your ride...... i call b.s. on that also.

i would think if you had a family member that ran a business or something it would be easy in that since but then again not exactly, i say this because i have an uncle who owns/run a quizno's. no sponsor from him.....

so really what is the key ingredient that make getting a sponsor"easy"?
what did it take for those who got a sponsor to sell/seal the deal?

i wouldnt think bob's bait an tackle is gonna sponsor a car thats gonna be raceing 1200miles away but when i was at Nelson ledges the team pitted next to us was sponsored by some home town chicken joint, which, (far as i know) could been from des moine iowa for all i know.

it baffles me a bit but someone had to break the ice(thanks for doing so) on the sponsor thing before i caved in and asked the question myself.

3 (edited by soldmystang 2009-10-31 06:56 AM)

vinyl shop ..... numbers in exchange for logo on car

exhaust shop..... logo in exchange for minor exhaust work

tire shop........ logo in exchange for mounting and balancing tires

my business...... garage space for vinyl on car

another teammates business............  tires for vinyl on car

insurance agent....... cash for hotel rooms in exchange for vinyl on car

HPDE organizer ... cash for meals in exchange for vinyl on car

we went looking for $100 sponsorships.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

I think we could see more sponsorship opportunities if Lemons was more publicly popular or had more media coverage.

I have a great report with the parts store by my house.  I have considered asking the manager how to go about requesting sponsorship from corporate.

Looking at the 2010 schedule, there are 5 Lemons races in our area, 2 Chump races plus I really want to do Palm Beach on New Years Eve.  Our entry fees for those races, if we do them all, will be near $10k.  A local race with a recycled car is an easy $2000 weekend just for the car expenses. 

I would like to try and find some kind of sponsorship or something to offset the expenses so the races are not a financial burden.  Many of my family members run their own businesses but I am not sure how sponsoring my car would benefit their businesses.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

5 (edited by hrlyTCH 2009-10-31 07:42 AM)

soldmystang wrote:

we went looking for $100 sponsorships.

good point there..... we just looked around to help ease the lesser costs also or as i would call it ease the pain.

we got a crown vic which has a LOT of realstate for vynil and we just filling in the blank areas so it wasnt so plain jane white but due to a dispute with person in our group we gotta pull a bunch of stuff off so it'll pretty much more white then it has been the last couple races.

then there is my brothers Lemons racer which has nothin but a flat black paint job over the factory shiny paint it had when started along with camo stripe an dare i  say last minute taped on numbers......plenty of room for plastering big arsed ad/company logo's

forgot to ask....... was those per-race like they tossed you 100 per race or were those a one time deals. like all of them pitched you 100 for one race.....??

The big thing is to bring value to your sponsors and be able to prove it.
Vinyl on the car alone is a hard sell sometimes as the races dont garner alot of publicity.
But if you can show them a team website, hopefully with a good layout and some interesting details (build logs, etc) which will draw in viewers and offer them a sponsor logo on that site, now you are offering more value.  If you have access to your hit counters and other statistical data from a website it goes a long way toward proving the exposure you can provide.
Be sure to point out other events you may be taking the car to for test and tune, etc.  Every autocross, HPDE, or other public event where your car gets out of the garage is more visibility for the sponsor.

We haven't really started our sponsorship run yet but with 3 events, one which is run by a magazine, one which is 1500 miles on public roads, a good website with alot of traffic, and a schedule of taking the finished product to local shows, cruise nights, etc we hope to provide a real value to the sponsors that is easily demonstratable.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

first i think i need to say this loudly............. NATIONAL SPONSORS HAVE RUINED MOST EXISTING RACING SERIES!!!!!!!!!!

a $10k season sponsor is totally against what Lemons is all about ya'll.  a local Mom & Pop will gladly throw you a $100 here and there because one new customer is well worth it.  our sponsors have been per event in exchange for displaying their logo.

now as for exposure, we made the front page of a Saturday newspaper before we had any sponsors on the car.  and on the TNT day at CMP we made the local 6 o'clock news.  interviewed one of our drivers in our garage space in front of the car.

i don't think anyone can expect this kind of exposure regularly but remember Good Morning America did a spot about Lemons.

now let's consider "the Curse".  would your national sponsor want to see their car crushed all over YouTube?  maybe, but i doubt it.  (note to self..... call Caterpillar on Monday......)

i think the best any of us can hope for in sponsors is auto related businesses we deal with personally throwing us some pocket change.

just because it is a $500 car don't think this stuff is cheap!!!!!  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

We have a grand total of one sponsor for our car...  A wrecking yard who pulled a light bar out for us and donated it for a couple stickers.  Done!

On the other hand, we made over $500 by holding a fundraiser.  It helps that we're raising money for a non-profit.  Our pitch was "We're raising money for us, so we can make more money for them!"

BBQ, 50-50 draw, auction (donated items, car washes by members of the team, etc), and we pulled in over $500 worth of pledged donations to our non-profit as well.

It was a ton more work than simply going into a biz and asking for cash.  We have quite a few acquaintances between our guys, which made it easy to get a good draw for our event.

If you're running into walls trying to get biz's to sponsor you, this could be an alternative.  (That's what we did)

Good luck.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

9 (edited by Serj 2009-10-31 11:45 AM)

JThw8 wrote:

The big thing is to bring value to your sponsors and be able to prove it.
Vinyl on the car alone is a hard sell sometimes as the races dont garner alot of publicity.
But if you can show them a team website, hopefully with a good layout and some interesting details (build logs, etc) which will draw in viewers and offer them a sponsor logo on that site, now you are offering more value.  If you have access to your hit counters and other statistical data from a website it goes a long way toward proving the exposure you can provide.
Be sure to point out other events you may be taking the car to for test and tune, etc.  Every autocross, HPDE, or other public event where your car gets out of the garage is more visibility for the sponsor.

We haven't really started our sponsorship run yet but with 3 events, one which is run by a magazine, one which is 1500 miles on public roads, a good website with alot of traffic, and a schedule of taking the finished product to local shows, cruise nights, etc we hope to provide a real value to the sponsors that is easily demonstratable.

Jim, I personally went on the trek to get a decently large sponsor, demonstrated media exposure possibilities as well as a website tie-in that at that time got well over 400k/month in unique site hits, and I did not see one DIME, STICKER, or product samples to share. The product would have even had an event-related tie-in that wasn't automotive related.

I'm pointing this out because they're national, but very small in a corporate sense, and I didn't go in asking for money, I went asking for sponsorship, and got zilch for my efforts.

all that work went into doing this back in 07, when Lemons racing was still in it's relative infancy and there was a lot of interest pieces written up about the affair. I guess I could come back now in 09, and say "see what would could have been in on?" but that's probably too bitter a statement to make.

10 (edited by King Arthur 2009-11-01 05:30 PM)

When I asked my vendors for sponsorship(Auto repair shop) they all said yes but don't tell anyone. I am very customer loyal and only deal with them on there own particular items. I could probably find other vendors cheaper but in my business service comes first. Be honest and up front tell/ask them what you are seeking and be reasonable.  My auto parts store gave me all brake parts (rotors drums pads shoes hardware w/cyls and calipers) Tire store  245/50-16 $ 27.00 each. Stock/inventory store oil, filters wipers, brake fluid, paint nuts & bolts ect. Auto Wreckers,wheels,misc used parts The place I get my radiators & fuel tanks from gave me a new radiator. Don't promise any thing you can't deliver on and you will probably be able to ask in the future as well. (remember they can only say no) No body gave me any cash.

Friends are willing to buy a tank of gas. No strings attached.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

sponsors are a great concept, but difficult to realize given the "budget" nature of this race.......  sure a race shop might give you a break on the cage, hoping to get more cages for other crapboxes but thats about it....

The way I figure it......I'm the sponsor, driver, mechanic, slave, whipping boy, grease monkey, internet guru.....just about everything the "team" needs...

and the #1 thing all "race" teams need is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I was able to get a free alighnment from an auto shop (a simple mod that helped the car turn better) for a logo.

I got some free tires from a wholesale tire place after telling them last years story (You tried to do what??  for how long???  $500???!?)

I got some free roll bar padding for just asking one of the local race shops one day (and a sticker on the car).

So in the end I saved myself a few hundred bucks, not bad at all.

Point is, just ask!  Show them some photos of the previous races and have a funny story to tell.  Free stuff is often better then money and easier to get from some places.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Be sure to tell potential sponsors that Lemons gets lots of coverage on Autoblog and Jalopnik, which have octeen quadrillion readers between them, and that they should give you a lot of money to brand your whole car as Team (insert sponsor's name here). Just don't mention the part about your car being one of 100+ entries, or that most of the sites' readers tune out that weirdo Lemons stuff in favor of articles about GT-Rs and Transformers movies.

15 (edited by Serj 2009-11-02 01:44 AM)

well, I look at it this way; If my Uncle (who's the marketing director) @ their tiny microbrewery doesn't wanna show up with a hospitality/judicial soothsayer tent, then it's probably not worth it (new shocks? Ha! Beer solves all problems a Lemons car can have!)

icemang17 wrote:

sponsors are a great concept, but difficult to realize given the "budget" nature of this race.......  sure a race shop might give you a break on the cage, hoping to get more cages for other crapboxes but thats about it....

The way I figure it......I'm the sponsor, driver, mechanic, slave, whipping boy, grease monkey, internet guru.....just about everything the "team" needs...

and the #1 thing all "race" teams need is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Very well said.

MurileeMartin wrote:

... most of the sites' readers tune out that weirdo Lemons stuff in favor of articles about GT-Rs and Transformers movies.

Not sure if I should reference the Gawker term or the readers general bad taste for the best thing to happen to motorsports since gasoline.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The local race shops we have as sponsors are friends we have done business with. Our ties to the local car scene and the highh horsepower cars we run with gave uw a bit of advantage to gaining rapport with them. Although the main thing we get donated is random parts they THINK we can use. We then in turn sell them for the cash.

Ebay FTWMFW...

The main thing may have been covered but it is marketability. Most sponsors want exposure. Our "rv" has already gained a lot of attention and wil hopefully soon become 100% sponsor funded. But you have to keep in mind the stipulations. I drive over 500 miles a day and this RV would be my main source of transportation. A giant vehicle that has it's own character gains alot of attention and thats exactly what sponsors want. They want people to work WTF was that and in turn look up a website or call a phone number to find out what it was they saw.

During your free time... drag your clunker to local car shows. You won't win a damned thing (well maybe) but the $20 you spent on the entry fee could gain you a $500 sponsorship just to put a few stickers on that game-cock you have welded to your roof.

One of the best advertising ploys I have seen was a car with a belly-pan had their roll cage builder's logo painted on it. When the car rolled over it was an awesome advertisement for the cage builder.

But exposure is the key... such as spamming forums. Becoming e-famous and making damned sure you are remembered or atleast notorious to as many eyes as you can be.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

heh, over 35,000 people have spent 7 minutes staring at my ass(I mean the car you sickos!) and I'm not getting anyone knocking down any doors for it, lol

Serj wrote:

heh, over 35,000 people have spent 7 minutes staring at my ass(I mean the car you sickos!) and I'm not getting anyone knocking down any doors for it, lol

Must not be pretty or rememberable enough...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
Serj wrote:

lookup "DaveVsBuick" on youtube.
the video is copied over on streetfire too (search Buick 24 Hours of Lemons)
Judge Jonny put it up on autoblog and one of the guys on my Crown Vic team saw/heard about it there before i was even able to point it out to them.

Thanks to the Schumacher Taxi Service guys, especially Dave in the MR2 for the best track experience I've had to date.

Sponsors: your logo could have been on the back bumper! Ask me how!

I just worked a deal with a Bay Area car dealership.
We'll run their name on the car for as long as we have it in exchange for our vinyl graphics needs!

A couple other things brewing.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Serj wrote:
Riktor wrote:
Serj wrote:

lookup "DaveVsBuick" on youtube.
the video is copied over on streetfire too (search Buick 24 Hours of Lemons)
Judge Jonny put it up on autoblog and one of the guys on my Crown Vic team saw/heard about it there before i was even able to point it out to them.

Thanks to the Schumacher Taxi Service guys, especially Dave in the MR2 for the best track experience I've had to date.

Sponsors: your logo could have been on the back bumper! Ask me how!

Good driving but nothing FLASHY to grab ones attention... Besides it could be argued that everyone was just SLOW.

Sons of STIG

trekkor wrote:

We'll run their name on the car for as long as we have it in exchange for our vinyl graphics needs!

That raises an interesting idea. I wonder if I went to local area Toyota dealers and told them that unless they pay me off, I'll run their dealership name on our MR2. Then when it breaks down, everyone will think "Toyota of Plano" or whatever.  Maybe turning this "legendary Toyota reliability" thing on its head could become a profit deal. Kind of like protection money, only in reverse. Hmm.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
trekkor wrote:

That raises an interesting idea. I wonder if I went to local area Toyota dealers and told them that unless they pay me off, I'll run their dealership name on our MR2. Then when it breaks down, everyone will think "Toyota of Plano" or whatever.  Maybe turning this "legendary Toyota reliability" thing on its head could become a profit deal. Kind of like protection money, only in reverse. Hmm.

Sounds kind of Blackmail-ish and potentially very effective!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

It's a Nissan dealership, I'm running a Ford...

KT